• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

BlueTsunami
there is joy in sucking dick
(05-06-2012, 07:51 AM)
BlueTsunami's Avatar

Originally Posted by Scullibundo

How shitty is your imagination when a universe like the one presented in Avatar only has the potential for the story we've already seen told?

I think the people who were already sour on it don't want to waste any brain cycles on whats possible with the universe. Like me. But it is what it is. Dude seems staunch on his decision to invest in this series. Its just unfortunate knowing his abilities and the worlds he can bring to life and there's nothing engaging about this world for me.
Cipherr
Member
(05-06-2012, 07:51 AM)
Cipherr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Scullibundo

I do have to say that I'm constantly dumbfounded at the people who say 'What else is there to do in that universe?'

How shitty is your imagination when a universe like the one presented in Avatar only has the potential for the story we've already seen told?

I don't get that either. Avatar left a lot to be explained, explored and delved into on just the planet itself alone. The other tribes, the politics between them (didn't they hint that they didn't always all get along?).

Theres a shitload of potential there. A really excellent story telling vehicle. Its gonna be great.
Mistouze
user-friendly man-cashews
(05-06-2012, 07:53 AM)
Mistouze's Avatar

Originally Posted by BlueTsunami

I think the people who were already sour on it don't want to waste any brain cycles on whats possible with the universe. Like me. But it is what it is. Dude seems staunch on his decision to invest in this series. Its just unfortunate knowing his abilities and the worlds he can bring to life and there's nothing engaging about this world for me.

Isn't it that he just doesn't care about movies anymore and just keep going at them to be able to finance his deep sea exploration boner?

I'm alright with that really, if more Avatar pleases some people it's great for them. I'm just waiting for the documentaries.
zethren
Banned
(05-06-2012, 07:53 AM)
zethren's Avatar
I liked Avatar and all, and I'm excited for the idea of an Avatar 2, but wtf...how can you stretch the plot into an Avatar 3 and "maybe" 4?

Are they not stuck on Pandora? I don't think there's enough room for interesting and meaningful plot for another 3 movies for as long as they're on Pandora. So that means they'd have to include outside influence, like humans coming back to Pandora and creating yet another conflict (though I feel like that would be cheap, and boring).

I don't know, I guess we'll just see.

Originally Posted by Cipherr

I don't get that either. Avatar left a lot to be explained, explored and delved into on just the planet itself alone. The other tribes, the politics between them (didn't they hint that they didn't always all get along?).

Theres a shitload of potential there. A really excellent story telling vehicle. Its gonna be great.

But 3 more movies worth? Like I said, I'd love an Avatar 2. But I start getting cautious around the talk of 3 and 4.
Last edited by zethren; 05-06-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Chinpoko_Master
Member
(05-06-2012, 07:54 AM)
Chinpoko_Master's Avatar
I'm curious to see what direction he goes with the sequels. Hopefully it goes somewhere interesting with a twist on the premise of the first movie. Like how in Terminator 2, the Ahnold Terminator served as a protector in contrast to the role of the assassin he played in the first Terminator.

My guess is that the humans are going to return to Pandora, and Jake and the smurfs are going to steal the Avatar technology from the humans and use it to infiltrate and defeat them. Something like that.
MrCunningham
Member
(05-06-2012, 07:55 AM)
MrCunningham's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

Why does he insist on keeping Sam Worthington's career alive?

Sam Worthington is his new Michael Biehn?




... Actually, I really liked Michael Biehn. Shame his career never flourished. Sam Worthington isn't that bad either.
ThoseDeafMutes
Der Durst ist echt.
(05-06-2012, 07:57 AM)
ThoseDeafMutes's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrCunningham

Sam Worthington isn't that bad either.

If only they'd stop making him try for American accents. I loved him in Gettin' Square.
FStop7
Member
(05-06-2012, 07:59 AM)
FStop7's Avatar
Dances With Wolves 2: The Wolfening
Scullibundo
Banned
(05-06-2012, 07:59 AM)
Scullibundo's Avatar

Originally Posted by zethren

I liked Avatar and all, and I'm excited for the idea of an Avatar 2, but wtf...how can you stretch the plot into an Avatar 3 and "maybe" 4?

Are they not stuck on Pandora? I don't think there's enough room for interesting and meaningful plot for another 3 movies for as long as they're on Pandora. So that means they'd have to include outside influence, like humans coming back to Pandora and creating yet another conflict (though I feel like that would be cheap, and boring).

I don't know, I guess we'll just see.



But 3 more movies worth? Like I said, I'd love an Avatar 2. But I start getting cautious around the talk of 3 and 4.

Cameron has said that the sequels will also take us to the other moons orbiting Polyphemus.
Mudkips
Banned
(05-06-2012, 08:00 AM)
Mudkips's Avatar

Originally Posted by Scullibundo

I do have to say that I'm constantly dumbfounded at the people who say 'What else is there to do in that universe?'

How shitty is your imagination when a universe like the one presented in Avatar only has the potential for the story we've already seen told?

To be fair, Cameron's imagination was extra fucking shitty when he pinched off that piece of blue loaf he calls Avatar.
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(05-06-2012, 08:02 AM)
HK-47's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dany M

Awww shit.
DECK'ARD
The Amiga Brotherhood
(05-06-2012, 08:04 AM)
DECK'ARD's Avatar

Originally Posted by Scullibundo

Cameron has said that the sequels will also take us to the other moons orbiting Polyphemus.

Hopefully it will involve nuking Pandora then, because I honestly couldn't care about anything on it after the first film.
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(05-06-2012, 08:04 AM)
HK-47's Avatar

Originally Posted by Eggo

I'm hoping Prometheus comes out and kicks so much ass it gets Cameron inspired enough to one-up Ridley again.

But he never did in the first place.
ThoseDeafMutes
Der Durst ist echt.
(05-06-2012, 08:05 AM)
ThoseDeafMutes's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mudkips

To be fair, Cameron's imagination was extra fucking shitty when he pinched off that piece of blue loaf he calls Avatar.

I don't think Cameron has a lack of imagination, I think he's just extremely good at knowing what the mass market audience is going to eat up, and wants to cater to that. He's probably less interested in breaking new ground for film SciFi (like he did with Terminator, Aliens etc) and more interested in exploring nature and creating his own romanticized version of it. It reminds me of Titanic, the result of years of painstaking research and personal fascination on his part... which resulted in a wholly fictional love story set aboard.

Pandora is an extremely well realized setting from a technical standpoint, and you can tell that a lot of people have poured their heart into making it come to life. I still don't like the film that much, though.
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(05-06-2012, 08:06 AM)
HK-47's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cipherr

I don't get that either. Avatar left a lot to be explained, explored and delved into on just the planet itself alone. The other tribes, the politics between them (didn't they hint that they didn't always all get along?).

Theres a shitload of potential there. A really excellent story telling vehicle. Its gonna be great.

Except storytelling was Avatar's weakness.
CorvoSol
Member
(05-06-2012, 08:06 AM)
CorvoSol's Avatar
Why would I want to care about Avatar? Everything that happens in it was done like, way better in The Faded Sun, PLUS they had swords.
StudioTan
Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
(05-06-2012, 08:08 AM)
StudioTan's Avatar
Avatar is one of my favorite films. Looking forward to the sequels.
legend166
Member
(05-06-2012, 08:08 AM)
legend166's Avatar
I don't think I can handle another movie with the Na'vi again. I was already cheering for the humans in the first one.
Diablos
(05-06-2012, 08:11 AM)
Diablos's Avatar
No Battle Angel?

I was really looking forward to that. Don't milk Avatar, please.
DECK'ARD
The Amiga Brotherhood
(05-06-2012, 08:12 AM)
DECK'ARD's Avatar

Originally Posted by legend166

I don't think I can handle another movie with the Na'vi again. I was already cheering for the humans in the first one.

It was so predictable, preachy and heavy-handed that I hope Avatar 2 is about looking into their sudden extinction.

Or failing that, doing the job better than the first time.
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(05-06-2012, 08:13 AM)
HK-47's Avatar

Originally Posted by CorvoSol

Why would I want to care about Avatar? Everything that happens in it was done like, way better in The Faded Sun, PLUS they had swords.

Well there was that mech with the stupid, oversized knife. Thats kind of a sword, right?
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(05-06-2012, 08:14 AM)
Haly's Avatar
I don't understand, what would Avatar 2 even be about?

John Smith joined Pocahantes and her tribe of hippies by the end, that's it, that's all the story the world has to offer.
DECK'ARD
The Amiga Brotherhood
(05-06-2012, 08:16 AM)
DECK'ARD's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haly

I don't understand, what would Avatar 2 even be about?

Deep-sea angler fish.

With 6 fins.
Jokergrin
Member
(05-06-2012, 08:17 AM)
Jokergrin's Avatar
PhoenixDark
(05-06-2012, 08:22 AM)
PhoenixDark's Avatar
Considering there most likely won't be a new technology to sell the film on, I can't imagine Avatar 2 doing half as well as Avatar 1. The first is essentially a two hour tech demo, not a film; generic script, poor acting, mixed with some good action scenes.

Good luck tricking people a second time, Cameron.
ThoseDeafMutes
Der Durst ist echt.
(05-06-2012, 08:25 AM)
ThoseDeafMutes's Avatar

Originally Posted by PhoenixDark

The first is essentially a two hour tech demo, not a film; generic script, poor acting, mixed with some good action scenes.

There was nothing really wrong with the acting. Despite being zero dimensional, colonel mustache twirl was fun to watch.
PhoenixDark
(05-06-2012, 08:27 AM)
PhoenixDark's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThoseDeafMutes

There was nothing really wrong with the acting. Despite being zero dimensional, colonel mustache twirl was fun to watch.

Dont forget the bad lead, who has no charisma or the various other actors phoning in one dimensional characters (the greedy bottom line business point man, the nerdy young scientist, etc)
cosmicblizzard
It's interesting to think about sex with Andy Milonakis
(05-06-2012, 08:27 AM)
cosmicblizzard's Avatar
Too bad. Battle Angel could have paved the way for actual competent manga/anime adaptations. Ah well.
East Lake
Member
(05-06-2012, 08:28 AM)
East Lake's Avatar
I think the next few might be about the navi slave trade.
Canuck76
Banned
(05-06-2012, 08:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Jokergrin

Great reason to come back into this thread
TheKaeptain
nuh fi eating seeen
(05-06-2012, 08:31 AM)
TheKaeptain's Avatar
Aww A thread about Avatar where people attack the plot. It's been awhile. Next up on gaf a thread where people worship an average alien invasion movie with no tension, Michael Bay style action, nothing original going for it outside of having well known characters that most geeks have had a connection with since childhood, and... Wait, that thread is going on as we speak.

Saying the plot of Avatar is like Fern Gully/Dances is useless when the director said he used a well known story on purpose.

James Cameron has said, more than once mind you, that the sequel would have a very different tone and story.

Now the talks of an Avatar 4 scares me...
DY_nasty
#notmine
(05-06-2012, 08:32 AM)
DY_nasty's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThoseDeafMutes

There was nothing really wrong with the acting. Despite being zero dimensional, colonel mustache twirl was fun to watch.

I thought that outside of Zoe Saldana, it was pretty terrible.

Originally Posted by CaptYamato

Aww A thread about Avatar where people attack the plot. It's been awhile. Next up on gaf a thread where people worship an average alien invasion movie with no tension, Michael Bay style action, nothing original going for it outside of having well known characters that most geeks have had a connection with since childhood, and... Wait, that thread is going on as we speak.

Saying the plot of Avatar is like Fern Gully/Dances is useless when the director said he used a well known story on purpose.

What's wrong with calling it what it is?
B_Rik_Schitthaus
Banned
(05-06-2012, 08:33 AM)
B_Rik_Schitthaus's Avatar
What a waste.
MrCunningham
Member
(05-06-2012, 08:34 AM)
MrCunningham's Avatar

Originally Posted by PhoenixDark

Dont forget the bad lead, who has no charisma or the various other actors phoning in one dimensional characters (the greedy bottom line business point man, the nerdy young scientist, etc)

But Sigourney Weaver is always fun to watch on screen, right?
daviyoung
Member
(05-06-2012, 08:36 AM)
daviyoung's Avatar
And so Cameron degenerates into Lucas. Oh well.
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(05-06-2012, 08:37 AM)
HK-47's Avatar

Originally Posted by CaptYamato

Aww A thread about Avatar where people attack the plot. It's been awhile. Next up on gaf a thread where people worship an average alien invasion movie with no tension, Michael Bay style action, nothing original going for it outside of having well known characters that most geeks have had a connection with since childhood, and... Wait, that thread is going on as we speak.

Saying the plot of Avatar is like Fern Gully/Dances is useless when the director said he used a well known story on purpose.

James Cameron has said, more than once mind you, that the sequel would have a very different tone and story.

Now the talks of an Avatar 4 scares me...

He told a shitty, simplistic version of a well known story...cause it would make him the most money. I'll believe the next Avatar will be different when I see it.
Scullibundo
Banned
(05-06-2012, 08:38 AM)
Scullibundo's Avatar

Originally Posted by PhoenixDark

Considering there most likely won't be a new technology to sell the film on, I can't imagine Avatar 2 doing half as well as Avatar 1. The first is essentially a two hour tech demo, not a film; generic script, poor acting, mixed with some good action scenes.

Good luck tricking people a second time, Cameron.

Avatar 2 to do twice as much business as the first film confirmed?

'AVATAR WAS SO SHITTY AND SIMPLISTIC, MY FRIENDS AND I ONLY SAW IT THREE TIMES EACH. >:( '
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(05-06-2012, 08:41 AM)
subversus's Avatar
makes sense.
PhoenixDark
(05-06-2012, 08:43 AM)
PhoenixDark's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrCunningham

But Sigourney Weaver is always fun to watch on screen, right?

Sure, she's a blast
Tesseract
Member
(05-06-2012, 08:44 AM)
Tesseract's Avatar
sounds like he wants to keep funding his missions. i can respect that.
Kayhan
Member
(05-06-2012, 08:45 AM)
Kayhan's Avatar
More Dances with Wolves?

Cool
Replicant
There's a duck in the room
There's a duck i-OWWWW
(05-06-2012, 08:45 AM)
Replicant's Avatar
Why? Not that I'm a big fan of his filmography (the only exception being "Aliens") but I'd rather see him tackle something else like that long-overdue "Battle Angel Alita".

Originally Posted by See You Next Wednesday

How can he make a sequel to Avatar when there was no sequel to Pocahontas.

I LOL'd.
Koodo
Member
(05-06-2012, 08:45 AM)
Koodo's Avatar
I was looking forward to him making that Last Train From Hiroshima adaption. Guess that's dead too.
Scullibundo
Banned
(05-06-2012, 08:47 AM)
Scullibundo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Koodo

I was looking forward to him making that Last Train From Hiroshima adaption. Guess that's dead too.

I was also hoping for that - but not before Alita. But my guess is that the Hiroshima film is absolutely dead in the water. There is still hope for Alita given this interview he did a couple weeks back: Video
AdventureRacing
Member
(05-06-2012, 08:52 AM)

Originally Posted by zethren

I liked Avatar and all, and I'm excited for the idea of an Avatar 2, but wtf...how can you stretch the plot into an Avatar 3 and "maybe" 4?

Are they not stuck on Pandora? I don't think there's enough room for interesting and meaningful plot for another 3 movies for as long as they're on Pandora. So that means they'd have to include outside influence, like humans coming back to Pandora and creating yet another conflict (though I feel like that would be cheap, and boring).

I don't know, I guess we'll just see.

But 3 more movies worth? Like I said, I'd love an Avatar 2. But I start getting cautious around the talk of 3 and 4.

It's a whole new planet i'm sure they'll come up with something. I just hope the next movies are a lot better than avatar which was very mediocre.
speculawyer
clairvoyancy is no excuse for trollin'
(05-06-2012, 08:53 AM)
speculawyer's Avatar
I liked Avatar. But I'm really not interested in going back there. Ah well, I guess I don't have a choice.
Mario
Sidhe / PikPok
(05-06-2012, 08:53 AM)
Mario's Avatar

Originally Posted by zethren

Are they not stuck on Pandora? I don't think there's enough room for interesting and meaningful plot for another 3 movies for as long as they're on Pandora. So that means they'd have to include outside influence, like humans coming back to Pandora and creating yet another conflict (though I feel like that would be cheap, and boring).

Humans are stuck on Earth, yet there seems to be virtually unlimited storytelling potential in that setting.
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(05-06-2012, 08:55 AM)
subversus's Avatar

Originally Posted by HK-47

He told a shitty, simplistic version of a well known story...cause it would make him the most money. I'll believe the next Avatar will be different when I see it.

there is nothing wrong with telling simplistic stories as long as they have that healthy emotional punch. Avatar was very simple but I wanted to jump into the screen and charge these filthy humans along with the nabi or however the blue fucks are called. No other movie made me feel such simple emotions with such clarity. FIGHT FOR YOUR LOVE, BE OPEN-MINDED, PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT, DON'T LITTER IN THE PARKS. It's as simple as it can be. And if he wants to express some more complicated ideas and whatnot he won't be trying to shoehorn them in some art-house movie which will be inevitable burdened with dramatic presentation and shit like that. He will talk about stuff as it is, be it Holocaust, eugenics, overpopulation, Monsanto, the erosion of gender roles in modern society or some rusty ship at the bottom of a sea.
DY_nasty
#notmine
(05-06-2012, 08:56 AM)
DY_nasty's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mario

Humans are stuck on Earth, yet there seems to be virtually unlimited storytelling potential in that setting.

See... this always gets me.

The people who want to see a fully fleshed out and in-depth take on the details of Pandora are not the majority.
Chinpoko_Master
Member
(05-06-2012, 08:58 AM)
Chinpoko_Master's Avatar

Originally Posted by CaptYamato

Saying the plot of Avatar is like Fern Gully/Dances is useless when the director said he used a well known story on purpose.

Avatar is not without flaws, but this is by far the most superficial criticism I see being made against it.

Thread Tools