• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron: "I’m in the Avatar business. Period. That’s it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
I understand that flak (hate) that Avatar has received. But I feel that it sets up a lot more possibilities to explore Jake's experiences with the Navi. I enjoyed Avatar a lot for what it was, and it didn't have any more flaws that 90% of the movies that come out. Glad James Cameron is looking to pursue his own films and not just shell out services and funding like Spielberg and Lucas.

Aww A thread about Avatar where people attack the plot. It's been awhile. Next up on gaf a thread where people worship an average alien invasion movie with no tension, Michael Bay style action, nothing original going for it outside of having well known characters that most geeks have had a connection with since childhood, and... Wait, that thread is going on as we speak.

Saying the plot of Avatar is like Fern Gully/Dances is useless when the director said he used a well known story on purpose.

James Cameron has said, more than once mind you, that the sequel would have a very different tone and story.

Now the talks of an Avatar 4 scares me...

The plot was shit in Avatar. I definitely did not watch the movie for the plot.

Tookay

But I feel that it sets up a lot more possibilities to explore Jake's experiences with the Navi.

Like? He's already the bestest Navi ever.

EDIT: I love it when filmmakers, thinking they're so progressive, try to portray natives as super awesome and spiritual and more in-tune with nature than evil imperialist America stand-ins, but then have a white foreigner become their savior, completely contradicting the intended message.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Avatar in comparison feels like a dead end.

Avatar was a terrible movie but the universe is certainly not a dead end. On Pandora alone you could have films focusing on the underground parts of the world, different climates/biomes, the oceans. To say nothing of the other moons mentioned in the lore material. I have no problem believing Cameron can come up with more stories to tell in the Avatar universe. I just hope they're told with more flair and creativity now that the tech is more or less locked down and he can focus on the script more in the sequels.

Dead

well not really...yet
I dont see the need for an Avatar 4. Thats too much. JC needs to do Battle Angel. It would be a shame for the only director who is competent in every aspect of blockbuster filmmaking to be stuck on one franchise alone for the rest of his career.

Avatar was a terrible movie but the universe is certainly not a dead end. On Pandora alone you could have films focusing on the underground parts of the world, different climates/biomes, the oceans. To say nothing of the other moons mentioned in the lore material. I have no problem believing Cameron can come up with more stories to tell in the Avatar universe. I just hope they're told with more flair and creativity now that the tech is more or less locked down and he can focus on the script more in the sequels.
lol. Dat gross exageration.

I dont see the need for an Avatar 4. Thats too much. JC needs to do Battle Angel. Itd would be a shame for the director who is competent in every aspect of blockbuster filmmaking to be stuck on one franchise alone for the rest of his career.

lol.

Even just 2 and 3 will probably take up the next 10 years of his life. He aint' getting any younger.

Dead

well not really...yet
Even just 2 and 3 will probably take up the next 10 years of his life. He aint' getting any younger.
He can have 2 and 3 done by end of 2016.

Battle Angel already has a finished script and a considerable amount of design work already started, its not like it would be starting from scratch.

Not that is has much to do with Avatar, but forget Pocahontas 2, people should watch Malick's The New World, that is the best version of the story of Pocahontas.

Dead

well not really...yet
Not that is has much to do with Avatar, but forget Pocahontas 2, people should to watch The New World, that is the best version of the story of Pocahontas.
Its also Terrence Malick's best movie

and hey guess what, that movie also ascribes more to the pochontas myth that the disney movie did, moreso than it did to reality.

So much salt in this thread. Did all the haters in this thread just skip watching Avatar and ride the lol Dances with Wolves train into the ground. Did you watch a version some dude recorded in the theater with his phone? I watched it in the theater in Imax 3D and I thought it was amazing. The visuals alone were worth the price of admission to me. Also, how can you hate a movie with Mechs?

I will laugh my ass off if Cameron is just trolling everybody.

The visuals were the only thing worth watching in that movie. I only watch it for the visual effect which was amazing. Acting and plot were shit.

Erigu

It seems from that interview that he's more interested in projects that help him flog his expensive 3d equipment than filmmaking.
Which is why Gunnm is better off without him. If a movie is to be made, I'd like a good adaptation, not a tech demo, thanks.

Dead

well not really...yet
Nah. December 2015 and December 2016 seems realistic I think.

Which is why Gunnm is better off without him. If a movie is to be made, I'd like a good adaptation, not a tech demo, thanks.
I love how you italicized the property's original name. Now I DEFINITELY know you're the total authority on all things Battle Angel related!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I really enjoyed Avatar. Sorry some people take movies so seriously that they can't enjoy a visual spectacle for what it is.

All I know is that I wanted to go to Pandora after I saw the movie. I didn't care that the plot was a rehashed premise from countless other movies (bag on Avatar ripping the plot from Pocahontas; that was a shit Disney movie, and I'm sure many of you would rather watch Avatar over Pocahontas if you had to choose between the two).

There is plenty of cinema out there that tackles more complex plots/characters/scenarios, and that's awesome. But I certainly don't mind a mindless, visual smorgasbord like Avatar when they release.

As for Cameron? Guy can do whatever the hell he wants. He'll knock out all those Avatar sequels, then move on to something else, I'm sure. He may even give up on them if the sequels don't do as well as the original. But it's Cameron, and Avatar made a shit-ton of money, so I can't see there only being one sequel.

Can't really call it avatar since he's already in the body.. Unless they're going to a new planet and creating avatar bodies there.

Can't really call it avatar since he's already in the body.. Unless they're going to a new planet and creating avatar bodies there.

He's already said the sequel won't be called Avatar. It will be interesting to see whether FOX lets him get away with that though.

Ultimately, Cameron has always wanted to make his own Star Wars universe and Avatar is certainly it. It comes as no surprise that he now wants to work on completely fleshing it out after he did a tremendous job at building that universe.

Sounds good. It'd be cool if each of the avatar movies took place on different planets with completely different aliens. Could have completely different themes too. You guys aren't giving him much credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom