• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 13 - First screens & info

Revoh

Is it just me or Messi got a new "Nathan Drake" haircut
SkfS6.jpg

Messi

I've been hoping for Pedro, busquets, keita and abidal to get faces in FIFA for 3 years. Never mind people like thiago.

I have lost faith in their ability to get barca likenesses

(btw Messi got remodelled last year and seems he got done again this year as he is the coverstar) villa got redone last year too, why remodel ones who are done when they could do new ones?

Edit: for the record I dont use barca online I am not a dickhead I just do my career as them

Arcteryx

AI changes definitely sound nice, but I'll wait to see if they actually deliver on them.

And yea, the rubber banding...blagh.

I'll still probably day1 it though lol

PaulLFC

I've been hoping for Pedro, busquets, keita and abidal to get faces in FIFA for 3 years. Never mind people like thiago.

I have lost faith in their ability to get barca likenesses

(btw Messi got remodelled last year and seems he got done again this year as he is the coverstar) villa got redone last year too, why remodel ones who are done when they could do new ones?

Edit: for the record I dont use barca online I am not a dickhead I just do my career as them
Good point, but I think they should be doing them all anyway, for the biggest teams in the game at least. I mean, it's not like the game hardly sells any copies. Obviously they would want to include gameplay improvements first, but if they have already modelled some faces, there's no reason why they couldn't have modelled the entire team (unless it's something to do with licensing or image rights etc). Not enough time to model the faces? Hire more people. They have the money to.

Edit: Oh and while they're at it, sort out some decent-looking grass for the pitch! ISS 2 was at least trying this back in the days of the PS2 - granted it looked strange and not very pitch-like, but at least it wasn't just a flat texture.

Namius

As skeptical as some of us might be in regards to the outlined changes, I think the EA Canada team has so much clout after pulling off someone pretty great things with FIFA 12.

elsk

Banned
As skeptical as some of us might be in regards to the outlined changes, I think the EA Canada team has so much clout after pulling off someone pretty great things with FIFA 12.

The problem is being an EA product. I know I sound like some kind of hater, but I believe they let somethings broken just to come next year and fix it to say "hey! look at this new feature!"

Things like Career mode being shitty for so many years, adding like 1 thing each year are examples of it. If they really wanted to make a good career mode they could do it in less than a year.

Menelaus

Banned

Oh, junior. No. Just no.

1) The defense had some good ideas, but they were poorly implemented IMO. Also, defense is just plain exhausting to play. It's mentally very tough, far tougher than standing on a real field playing real defense =P
2) The collision system is VERY buggy, and fouls are rarely called correctly. Really hate losing games because the physics system is half baked.
3) The rubberbanding of the AI defenders to catch up on their bad positioning makes breakaways all but impossible. Nothing in the history of videogames has ever pushed me closer to throwing a controller through the TV.
4) Quick throw-ins are quite broken and waste more time than they save due to bad AI.
5) Virtual Pro Clubs immeasurably regressed from 11 in terms of functionality, and this was my most played mode.

When friends gather round the TV for a few games of FIFA, we just had more FUN with 11. I appreciated the way 12 was trying to push the genre forward towards realism, but they forgot that not everyone wants to play that way all the time.

vall03

eagerly anticipating this, ended up passing on FIFA12 last year because of how busy I was at that time. Its kinda sad that I won't be able to transfer my VP though...

PaulLFC

The problem is being an EA product. I know I sound like some kind of hater, but I believe they let somethings broken just to come next year and fix it to say "hey! look at this new feature!"

Things like Career mode being shitty for so many years, adding like 1 thing each year are examples of it. If they really wanted to make a good career mode they could do it in less than a year.
This is definitely the problem I see with FIFA. Whether the actual dev team have much control over this "keeping back" of features and improvements for future editions, or whether it's more EA's decision as a publisher, I don't know. It does annoy me though, as you say if they REALLY wanted to fix a problem, they could easily do it in a year, two at most, instead of constantly saying "its fixed now HONEST! Much better than last year!" every year for what seems like forever.

gurasa

Official reveal with accurate wording and additional info should be next week at the latest. Expect to see previews from all the major gaming websites.

People can bitch all they want with the yearly releases but the FIFA games have always been getting progressively better with each new release. They either improve the physics, fighting over the ball, ball movement, defending and/or attacking.

Antioch

Sorry if it's been brought up already but this is the version that's introducing Move support, right? Has anything been said about how they're going to implement it? Like, if it'll be at all like the PES Wii controls? Because that would sell me on Move (unless there's a Wii U version with pointer controlled passing).

Yopis

Please hardcode the tactical defending. Stop making the game more the realistic but then allowing players to revert to the old ways.

Make the stats more visable on the pitch. EA have always struggled with this!

Just make everyone play full manual and most of the garbage would be solved. Such a better more realistic game that way.

Majukun

As long as they make strength as important of an attribute as speed, the game should improve. *fingers crossed*

strenght is already a too much important attribute..if you have a strong player,you can do every kind of foul just running through an opponent and the referee doesn't whistle just because your player had a superior strenght.

useless to say,football don't works like that

So what does it mean? You have to hold L2 to gain tight control before making a sudden change of direction? Because I kinda did that anyway...

Manik

Interested to see what (if any) changes they're planning for the Online Clubs mode - which is the only mode I ever play these days.

I kind of want them to make some improvements to it, but the last time they changed it the netcode was godawful with delay / lag / disconnections all over the place all year. At least it's much better in that regard this year.

strenght is already a too much important attribute..if you have a strong player,you can do every kind of foul just running through an opponent and the referee doesn't whistle just because your player had a superior strenght.

useless to say,football don't works like that

I meant more for the clubs mode. The 5'2" guys can run through and bounce off people, but if you chose to have a height of 6'0" you're fucked because you lose the speed, but can't hold the ball up without getting knocked down.

RooMHM

Hopefully this puts an end to being able to defy the laws of physics.
It puts an end to realism too. If you need to make Street Fighter moves to pass an oponent one on one I can't call this football. EA broke their game with their update (where they didn't touch the gameplay LOL) which makes everything scripted, every pass predictable and runs controlled by the AI with some kind of magic (you can't run alongside the defender and get past him, he just hugs you until he gets the ball). Now they're announcing that they're planning to ruin it even more. Good job EA. Fifa 12 was so good when it was released it really makes me rage to see what they did to it.

Is it because some people who can't learn new gameplay and only complain dissed the defense system? Maybe, we can"t have nice things when people buy shit tons of CoD anyways.

Majukun

It puts an end to realism too. If you need to make Street Fighter moves to pass an oponent one on one I can't call this football. EA broke their game with their update (where they didn't touch the gameplay LOL) which makes everything scripted, every pass predictable and runs controlled by the AI with some kind of magic (you can't run alongside the defender and get past him, he just hugs you until he gets the ball). Now they're announcing that they're planning to ruin it even more. Good job EA. Fifa 12 was so good when it was released it really makes me rage to see what they did to it.

Is it because some people who can't learn new gameplay and only complain dissed the defense system? Maybe, we can"t have nice things when people buy shit tons of CoD anyways.

so the euro 2012 dlc has some of this "improvements" ?

RooMHM

Not even the euro dlc. The whole game that has been patched for euro DLC. The DLC itself doesn't change anything. The changes are so bad or shameful (I don't know?) that they are denying the changes that are of course absolutely obvious.

Gonna be honest, I'm not sure what you're talking about RooMHM. I don't mean that you are wrong, but rather I don't understand what you are trying to convey.

NoRéN

People can bitch all they want with the yearly releases but the FIFA games have always been getting progressively better with each new release. They either improve the physics, fighting over the ball, ball movement, defending and/or attacking.

Based on your description, it looks like the best option is to buy a fifa game once every 5 years.

MrBud360

Fifa 2012 is a brillant game, but the Virtual Pro Club was the worst thing ever. And its the mode that i play most with my friends on internet. The AI players sucks... Why we can play with the real team? Why the AI players can´t run? Can´t pass? Can´t shoot? They don´t play like professional players, they are Zombies. It´s so frustrating. It´s impossible to play against goos Virtual Pro players. Zombie versus Best player ever.......... EA just fix this, i don´t need nothing more.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah I was wondering why there was virtually no FIFA community. Who knew Cornballer, The Mod In The North, would be responsible? I'm still convinced that the man can do no wrong.

So if FIFA-Gaf is now somehow blended with Footy-GAF, how do I get in there? Just bought FIFA 12 recently and the random opponents are incredibly frustrating.

Yeah I was wondering why there was virtually no FIFA community. Who knew Cornballer, The Mod In The North, would be responsible? I'm still convinced that the man can do no wrong.

So if FIFA-Gaf is now somehow blended with Footy-GAF, how do I get in there? Just bought FIFA 12 recently and the random opponents are incredibly frustrating.

Post in the footyGAF thread?

Mascot

Has anyone said EA need dedicated servers so that whoever's hosting isn't playing with lightning-quick reactions and super-fast players, whereas their opponent wades through treacle in slo-mo like a lobotomised zombie yet?

EA need dedicated servers so that whoever's hosting isn't playing with lightning-quick reactions and super-fast players, whereas their opponent wades through treacle in slo-mo like a lobotomised zombie.

Facism

Will consider purchase if they somehow manage to get the Turkish league back. Pretty major reason why i've bought 3 fifas this gen (that and the launch promotions meant i've paid £35 total for fifa 09,10 and 11 lol).

Saucy. I've posted in there before, but I've never seen anyone discussing anything besides EPL/LIGA/etc and never FIFA, so I don't understand how it works. Figured there must be an alternate forum/thread.

Well, there will be a FIFA 13 thread, just the FIFA 12 one died. If you lurk/post in footyGAF long enough you will realize we talk about a lot more than just football. And FIFA gets brought up quite regularly. We're a friendly bunch.

No more of this:
I also hope they fix defending -.-

What do you mean by fix defending.

For me its - make stepping up quicker/easier. Having it hidden away in a laggy menu system is horrible. Having to press up on the D-Pad and then Up again to call offside against a fast moving attack... ergh.

Do not force every team to play an insanely high line (basically standing on the halfway line). What makes it worse is that all CBs are stupidly slow, and don't seem to have as much strength as attackers do have pace - so there's no fair trade off. You'll get outpaced and often out-muscled for the ball.
Give some understanding between players and positioning. Don't want both CMs pushing forward, or sitting back at the same time.
Likewise, back to offsides, I don't want both of my fullbacks always being the furthest man back in defence - it makes no sense.

elsk

Banned
What do you mean by fix defending.

For me its - make stepping up quicker/easier. Having it hidden away in a laggy menu system is horrible. Having to press up on the D-Pad and then Up again to call offside against a fast moving attack... ergh.

Do not force every team to play an insanely high line (basically standing on the halfway line). What makes it worse is that all CBs are stupidly slow, and don't seem to have as much strength as attackers do have pace - so there's no fair trade off. You'll get outpaced and often out-muscled for the ball.
Give some understanding between players and positioning. Don't want both CMs pushing forward, or sitting back at the same time.
Likewise, back to offsides, I don't want both of my fullbacks always being the furthest man back in defence - it makes no sense.

you can edit the high line of defenders in the tactics option.

Yes, but you have to do that EVERY game, with EVERY team. Tedious and lazy game design. No team is unique. Everyone plays like Barcelona.

Top Bottom