• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish traveller(gypsy) race

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Is the person doing the commenting a traveller?

I have no idea wtf he is saying.

Except for the word "bollocks."

Suairyu

Banned
Despite being reckless, dangerous and fucking stupid, there was something inherently comical about that.

You cant criticise gypsies here, American gaffers who have never been within 5000 miles of a of a Irish traveller have a over-romanticised view of travellers where they all travel around in wooden caravans telling fortunes and any other visualisation of them is racism.
This is also true.

Though in fairness to them, they probably hear horror stories about the mistreatment of Roma in mainland Europe and assume any anecdotal or statistical statement is part of that same bigotry.

You cant criticise gypsies here, American gaffers who have never been within 5000 miles of a of a Irish traveller have a over-romanticised view of travellers where they all travel around in wooden caravans telling fortunes and any other visualisation of them is racism.

Yeah, but GAF gypsie threads also have their share of rabid, xenophobic posts from Europeans.

Yeah, when people were telling us that gypsies need to be "taken care of" in the infamous gypsy thread, we really needed to shut up about it because we wouldn't understand.

dalin80

Banned
Yeah, but GAF gypsie threads also have their share of rabid, xenophobic posts from people who have to put up with the thieving chav scums shit rather then gather their whole opinion from having seen a couple of hollywood films.

fixed that for you.

Suairyu

Banned
fixed that for you.
Calm down before you hurt yourself and those like me who were originally agreeing with you.

There were posts going overboard in that thread. The GAF-traveler-European conversation paradigm is nuanced to say the least. Reductionism does nobody any favours.

Chao

Fucking moron recording the video almost hit a truck and a few cars frontally because he was so focused in the video that he didn't see thus was driving in the wrong direction. Somebody get this douchbag arrested for almost causing multiple crashes

Suairyu

Banned
sorry still pissed about having to fit a new cat to my sisters mini last Christmas.
So complain about it in a contextually appropriate and level-headed manner.

Non-Euro GAF absolutely struggle to get their heads around the idea that it's anything other than a few troublemakers. It's understandable why, too. Historically, people use the small minority to paint the large majority with the same brush when discussing a group of people to justify racist pre-conceptions. The notion that such a practice might not be the case when people complain about travelers is unfathomable to some.

Sounding like a crazed bigot, even when I know you're probably not, doesn't help their understanding or your account's life expectancy.

edit - nevermind, too late.

How are these people different than Roma?
Geography and ethnicity.

Suairyu

Banned
... an intelligent discussion about the social problems here as a wider whole is probably off the cards, isn't it?

... an intelligent discussion about the social problems here as a wider whole is probably off the cards, isn't it?

Saying there is a problem with crime in the Irish Traveller community is a fine thing to say.
Saying I hate Travellers because one stole my sister's cat is a disgusting thing to say.

The problem is that some posters here get really angry and say a lot of stupid shit. That infamous gypsy thread is the end result without constant vigilance.

Suairyu

Banned
"Chav" isn't an ethnic slur, though.

Unless you're referring to how it was appropriated to describe an entire group, which I wasn't very comfortable with either.

Saying there is a problem with crime in the Irish Traveller is fine thing to say.
Saying I hate Travellers because one stole my sister's cat is a disgusting thing to say.
Agreed, but I seriously doubt it was one story that made him so, and more a severe lack of brain-to-typing connection.

edit - Jill Sandwich you damn fool.

They are not really gypsy.

Of course not, they get dole money and free housing from the Irish government. As an Irishman, it's extremely hard to not harbour a strong dislike of travellers when I see shit like this. The one vaguely positive aspect about their culture is that they tend to favour a one-on-one brawl to settle disputes as opposed to shootings/stabbings, but other than that, their culture here in Ireland has an almost entirely negative effect on the country.

Edit:
Im sure they do have a negative affect,I was just saying that people get these kind of people confused with a real(roma) gypsy.
Fair enough. I just used 'gypsy' in the title for non-Irish people who may not be familiar with the term 'traveller'.

"Chav" isn't an ethnic slur, though.

Unless you're referring to how it was appropriated to describe an entire group, which I wasn't very comfortable with either.

Yes, exactly.

Honestly I can't even imagine what it would be like, so I'm always interested to hear about these issues from Europeans here on GAF, and that kind of posting makes it difficult to get a clear, rational perspective on the issues at hand.

Fari

Of course not, they get dole money and free housing from the Irish government. As an Irishman, it's extremely hard to not harbour a strong dislike of travellers when I see shit like this. The one vaguely positive aspect about their culture is that they tend to favour a one-on-one brawl to settle disputes as opposed to shootings/stabbings, but other than that, their culture here in Ireland has an almost entirely negative effect on the country.

Their own insular world is still horrifying and absolutely unacceptable in any civilised society, even if it's kept out of sight of the general public. The way the women are treated is nothing short of repulsive.

It's a shame we can't have a proper discussion about these issues on GAF.

Im sure they do have a negative affect,I was just saying that people get these kind of people confused with a real(roma) gypsy.

Their own insular world is still horrifying and absolutely unacceptable in any civilised society, even if it's kept out of sight of the general public. The way the women are treated is nothing short of repulsive.

As much as I hate to admit that I watch TLC, the reality show "my big fat gypsy wedding" has some really interesting insights into the traveler culture. That said, just because something is "culture" doesn't mean that your way of life is acceptable in modern society.

One of the worst episodes featured a girl who was the oddball of the family because she was 12 years old and still in school.

Nevasleep

Disgusting, more so the van driving on the wrong side of the road, apart from the recklessness of riders.
Why'd they all stop anyway??

Fritz

Well first of Sinti and Romanies are diverse groups and you cannot generalize here. I don't know whether that holds true for Travelers though.

RivalCore

The one vaguely positive aspect about their culture is that they tend to favour a one-on-one brawl to settle disputes as opposed to shootings/stabbings.

Except for the family versus family incidents involving sickles, scythes, shovels and on one occasion a katana. Though I suppose that katana was quite the equalizer.

I read earlier only one person was arrested for the shit that happened in Mallow. Boils my piss knowing people get away that bullshit.

Nevasleep

On average there are ten times more driving fatalities within the Traveller community. At 22%, this represents the most common cause of death among Traveller males.
A 2007 report published in Ireland, states that over half of Travellers do not live past the age of 39 years.
Some 10% of Traveller children die before their second birthday
wiki

Their kids in general are forced into a bubble. I couldn't believe what i was seeing on that channel 4 program about them.

many of them are illiterate so a normal life in the outside world is all but impossible. They're ostracized from their families if they ever decide to leave.

The whole thing resembles one giant old boys club and a spectacular way of keeping women and kids hunder heel while they go around getting pissed and fighting.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I went to an Irish Gypsy Pizza place in Chicago. Waaaaaay better than New York. But I didn't tip them because I figure they make plenty of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom