• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

tranciful
Member
(05-10-2012, 06:13 PM)

Originally Posted by heringer

Hmm, so no DOF on the new iPad?

Full screen effects like that are expensive. iPad3 could easily handle it if it were running at iPad2 resolution, but iPad3 runs at over 1080p so stuff like transparency and image effects can impact framerate.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 07:48 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar
double psot
Last edited by tinfoilhatman; 05-10-2012 at 07:50 PM.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 07:49 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by heringer

Hmm, so no DOF on the new iPad?

Looks that way , but I"ll happily take the incredibly sharp\detailed graphics over some additional special effect.

See the screenshots in the iOS game thread ipad3 looks the best even without the extra FX

So basically if want mobile FPS's ipad\iOS is the platform of choice now?

Oh how the times they are a changing........
Dacvak
No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
(05-10-2012, 07:54 PM)
Dacvak's Avatar
Wow, the difference is much bigger than I thought.

iPhone 4S:



iPad 2:



iPad 3:


The iPhone 4S and iPad 2 versions have particle effects, more lighting effects, and more misc effects. The iPad 3 doesn't have any of that - just a higher resolution.

I've got one more set of pictures I can upload if anyone's interested. Say that word, though, because it's kind of a pain to do this on an iPad and I don't want to go through the hassle if no one cares.
Piggus
Member
(05-10-2012, 08:03 PM)
Piggus's Avatar
Blah. Looking at that comparison, looks like I'm skipping this. I don't know why devs feel obligated to make 3D games like this run at the iPad 3's native res when it would look better at a lower res with more effects and AA.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 08:13 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Piggus

Blah. Looking at that comparison, looks like I'm skipping this. I don't know why devs feel obligated to make 3D games like this run at the iPad 3's native res when it would look better at a lower res with more effects and AA.

Yea that sucks, but it looks INCREDIBLY sharp(jaggies are allot harder to see too) on the new ipad I like it.
Gazzawa
Member
(05-10-2012, 08:16 PM)
Gazzawa's Avatar
Bought NOVA 2 last year. Yeah it looked and sounded aight
Made me physcially sick to play tho. Dogshit controls. I am one of those people who say FPS cant be done without a physical controller. Swipe the screen to move the camera smh...
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 08:21 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gazzawa

Bought NOVA 2 last year. Yeah it looked and sounded aight
Made me physcially sick to play tho. Dogshit controls. I am one of those people who say FPS cant be done without a physical controller. Swipe the screen to move the camera smh...

Skipped 2 but never had an issue with Nova 1 , did you try and "tilt" controls?
mysteriousmage09
Member
(05-10-2012, 08:22 PM)
mysteriousmage09's Avatar
If this is on ipads then the next consoles better be fucking spectacular.
Alchemy
Member
(05-10-2012, 08:23 PM)
Alchemy's Avatar
Much prettier than the first two, but if it plays anything like them no buy. Those games are terrible.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 08:35 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alchemy

Much prettier than the first two, but if it plays anything like them no buy. Those games are terrible.


Terrible relative to what?

Are you comparing it to a 60$ console FPS or the sad state of non-existent FPS's on PSP\Vita\3DS?
Alchemy
Member
(05-10-2012, 08:37 PM)
Alchemy's Avatar

Originally Posted by tinfoilhatman

Terrible relative to what?

Are you comparing it to a 60$ console FPS or the sad state of non-existent FPS's on PSP\Vita\3DS?

Terrible relative to video games that are fun.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 08:42 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alchemy

Terrible relative to video games that are fun.

Can I have example of a "fun" mobile FPS?
alphaNoid
Banned
(05-10-2012, 08:49 PM)
alphaNoid's Avatar
Will play this on my Xperia play for tactile control :)
Alchemy
Member
(05-10-2012, 09:10 PM)
Alchemy's Avatar

Originally Posted by tinfoilhatman

Can I have example of a "fun" mobile FPS?

If by "mobile" you mean "smartphone", I have yet to find one. The best option I've played so far was RAGE but that is a different beast because of the on rails mechanics, and it still isn't that good. Just because you might consider NOVA a good "mobile" FSP doesn't mean it is actually good. It is like being the craziest guy in an insane asylum, not something to be overly proud of.

If I'm playing mobile games I'd rather play Plants vs Zombies or anything from Kairosoft. But maybe I'm an oddball because I don't consume so many mobile games I feel the need to play extremely crappy versions of console style games on my iPad.
kinggroin
Member
(05-10-2012, 09:30 PM)
kinggroin's Avatar

Originally Posted by numble

The photobucket app or the minus app.

Haven't tried it myself, but can't you just open the photo bucket website, select choose a file, and pick a picture from your camera roll?
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 09:32 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alchemy

If by "mobile" you mean "smartphone", I have yet to find one. The best option I've played so far was RAGE but that is a different beast because of the on rails mechanics, and it still isn't that good. Just because you might consider NOVA a good "mobile" FSP doesn't mean it is actually good. It is like being the craziest guy in an insane asylum, not something to be overly proud of.

If I'm playing mobile games I'd rather play Plants vs Zombies or anything from Kairosoft. But maybe I'm an oddball because I don't consume so many mobile games I feel the need to play extremely crappy versions of console style games on my iPad.

No by mobile I mean anything that's mobile(Vita, 3DS included) yea well it's no Halo but for those of us who like mobile FPS and don't mind touch control it's pretty much all we have to choose from and something is better than nothing.
kinggroin
Member
(05-10-2012, 09:39 PM)
kinggroin's Avatar

Originally Posted by tinfoilhatman

No by mobile I mean anything that's mobile(Vita, 3DS included) yea well it's no Halo but for those of us who like mobile FPS and don't mind touch control it's pretty much all we have to choose from and something is better than nothing.


You're kinda proving his point.
Glix
Member
(05-10-2012, 09:41 PM)
Glix's Avatar
Is this better than the free Wolfenstein I got yesterday. Cuz I'm surprised by how much I'm loving a 20 year old game. I worry that being able to look around freely will fuck everything up
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 09:42 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by kinggroin

You're kinda proving his point.

My point is beggars can't be choosers, if your options are mediocre FPS or NO FPS then I take mediocre FPS's over nothing.

I personally didn't have an issue with Nova 1 , no worse than what was on consoles Pre-Xbox1 and Halo.

Find me a PS2 FPS better than say Nova 3 or ANY of the top tier shooters on iOS, oh and go back in time and find it for 7$
Last edited by tinfoilhatman; 05-10-2012 at 09:44 PM.
kinggroin
Member
(05-10-2012, 09:45 PM)
kinggroin's Avatar

Originally Posted by tinfoilhatman

My point is beggars can't be choosers, if your options are mediocre FPS or NO FPS then I take mediocre FPS's over nothing.

I personally didn't have an issue with Nova 1 , no worse than what was on consoles Pre-Xbox1 and Halo.


So you just admitted it's a mediocre first person shooter? Why argue with him in the first place.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 09:49 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by kinggroin

So you just admitted it's a mediocre first person shooter? Why argue with him in the first place.

Sigh.......I'm arguing that its better than anything else out there available(mobile), how is that so difficult to understand?

So by that same logic no one should have played a FPS between GoldenEye(N64) and Halo(Xbox1)?
Baller, PhD
Banned
(05-10-2012, 09:52 PM)
Baller, PhD's Avatar

Originally Posted by tinfoilhatman

Sigh.......I'm arguing that its better than anything else out there available(mobile), how is that so difficult to understand?

So by that same logic no one should have played a FPS between GoldenEye(N64) and Halo(Xbox1)?

Not if better ones were available? You're making a pretty stupid point. You're saying that you play bad games because the good games are on a different platform. Why not just use the different platform then? I only play good games, regardless of the platform. There's no reason to waste my time with nonsense.
burgerdog
Member
(05-10-2012, 09:53 PM)
burgerdog's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dacvak

Wow, the difference is much bigger than I thought.




The iPhone 4S and iPad 2 versions have particle effects, more lighting effects, and more misc effects. The iPad 3 doesn't have any of that - just a higher resolution.

I've got one more set of pictures I can upload if anyone's interested. Say that word, though, because it's kind of a pain to do this on an iPad and I don't want to go through the hassle if no one cares.

Please do.
Alchemy
Member
(05-10-2012, 09:55 PM)
Alchemy's Avatar

Originally Posted by tinfoilhatman

Sigh.......I'm arguing that its better than anything else out there available(mobile), how is that so difficult to understand?

So by that same logic no one should have played a FPS between GoldenEye(N64) and Halo(Xbox1)?

While not first person, both Uncharted Golden Abyss and Unit 13 have better shooting mechanics. Hell, even Metroid Prime Hunters is more enjoyable than NOVA.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 09:56 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Baller, PhD

Not if better ones were available? You're making a pretty stupid point. You're saying that you play bad games because the good games are on a different platform. Why not just use the different platform then? I only play good games, regardless of the platform. There's no reason to waste my time with nonsense.

OK should I strap my 60inch plasma screen to a backpack and take it with me on the bus?

What other mobile platform has better FPS's?


OK so the answer is none(uncharted is cool but not a FPS) obviously the answer is "They don't exist"
Last edited by tinfoilhatman; 05-10-2012 at 10:00 PM.
tranciful
Member
(05-10-2012, 09:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Alchemy

While not first person, both Uncharted Golden Abyss and Unit 13 have better shooting mechanics. Hell, even Metroid Prime Hunters is more enjoyable than NOVA.

I don't plan on buying NOVA, but c'mon -- NOVA is a fraction of the price of those games. I'd imagine it also had a fraction of the budget.
Alchemy
Member
(05-10-2012, 10:01 PM)
Alchemy's Avatar

Originally Posted by tranciful

I don't plan on buying NOVA, but c'mon -- NOVA is a fraction of the price of those games. I'd imagine it also had a fraction of the budget.

Just because something is cheaper doesn't make it more fun. The issue raised wasn't one of cost, but quality. I'd rather pay $30-$50 for a better game, but I guess I'm weird.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 10:04 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alchemy

Just because something is cheaper doesn't make it more fun. The issue raised wasn't one of cost, but quality. I'd rather pay $30-$50 for a better game, but I guess I'm weird.

No your not weird but to totally disregard costs makes you look anti mobile(as in iOS android) because everyone knows those games are lower budget.

LOL, so I should expect as much from a 7$ game compared to a 40$ game?

So please explain to me how that works in the real world of budgets and profit margins?
Dacvak
No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
(05-10-2012, 10:07 PM)
Dacvak's Avatar
Your arguments are dumb. NOVA 3 is a good game, because good is subjective. If you're able to master the hard-to-learn controls, you'll find a meaty FPS, better than most portable FPS offerings.

There's no point to be proven. Alchemy apparently sucks at/hates touch controls. That's a shame, and it's a shame because that's a barrier for enjoying the game.

And the game is good. Go whine somewhere else if you don't like touch controls.
Alchemy
Member
(05-10-2012, 10:11 PM)
Alchemy's Avatar

Originally Posted by tinfoilhatman

No your not weird but to totally disregard costs makes you look anti mobile(as in iOS android) because everyone knows those games are lower budget.

LOL, so I should expect as much from a 7$ game compared to a 40$ game?

So please explain to me how that works in the real world of budgets and profit margins?

It seems you have trouble with reading comprehension, my point didn't had anything to do with cost of those games. The game is bad, you asked me to justify my opinion. I did and you then moved the goal posts to find a better mobile FPS. I did (Metroid Prime Hunters) and just a couple off the top of my head examples of games with better shooting mechanics.

Now price is an issue in this mobile FPS comparison? Fine, NOVA wins the war of cheap shitty mobile FPS games. It still isn't worth $7, because my original point was that there are better mobile games than NOVA.
Mammoth Jones
Member
(05-10-2012, 10:14 PM)
Mammoth Jones's Avatar
How does it run on an iPhone 4?

How good are the controls? I remember enjoying the controls in NOVA 1 better than 2 despite the layouts being identical.
Baller, PhD
Banned
(05-10-2012, 10:16 PM)
Baller, PhD's Avatar
I always wonder how/where these other people live that they're always on busses or trains or some shit. That just seems crazy to me, I've never lived anywhere that had public transportation like that and I've lived all over the U.S. I feel like most pro-mobile people play their mobile games in the comfort of their own home and then justify the shit on the Internet by saying they can take it on the "bus." Maybe I'm just crazy though.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 10:17 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alchemy

It seems you have trouble with reading comprehension, my point didn't had anything to do with cost of those games. The game is bad, you asked me to justify my opinion. I did and you then moved the goal posts to find a better mobile FPS. I did (Metroid Prime Hunters) and just a couple off the top of my head examples of games with better shooting mechanics.

Now price is an issue in this mobile FPS comparison? Fine, NOVA wins the war of cheap shitty mobile FPS games. It still isn't worth $7, because my original point was that there are better mobile games than NOVA.

Reading comprehension huh?

Here's a quote of my first post regarding the quality of the game where I mention cost comparisons.

Terrible relative to what?

Are you comparing it to a 60$ console FPS or the sad state of non-existent FPS's on PSP\Vita\3DS?
felipepl
Member
(05-10-2012, 10:17 PM)
felipepl's Avatar
The game is not running well, smoothly enough on my 4S. Given how this is the godamn latest and best from Apple, people with anything lower should be warned.

And the thread's title should be changed, this is not UE3.
Dacvak
No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
(05-10-2012, 10:17 PM)
Dacvak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alchemy

It seems you have trouble with reading comprehension, my point didn't had anything to do with cost of those games. The game is bad, you asked me to justify my opinion. I did and you then moved the goal posts to find a better mobile FPS. I did (Metroid Prime Hunters) and just a couple off the top of my head examples of games with better shooting mechanics.

Now price is an issue in this mobile FPS comparison? Fine, NOVA wins the war of cheap shitty mobile FPS games. It still isn't worth $7, because my original point was that there are better mobile games than NOVA.

I'll admit that tinfoilhatman's argument isn't completely bulletproof, but yours is just silly. By your logic, no one should ever play a video game that's less than a 9/10, since there are better games out there. If someone's looking for a FPS on their portable system, and that person has no problem with touch controls, then NOVA is a fantastic choice. It's cheap, it's extremely pretty, it's fairly long, it has good online multiplayer... How you can sit there and say it wins the war of shitty mobile FPS games is beyond me.

Not everyone has a disability with touch controls. If you can't enjoy the game, that's a bummer for you, but there's no reason to bash it because of a barrier issue YOU have with the game.

Edit: And, so far, this has been more enjoyable than Unit 13.
Last edited by Dacvak; 05-10-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Dynamite Shikoku
Member
(05-10-2012, 10:20 PM)
Dynamite Shikoku's Avatar
Bah, gonna skip this cause of the shitty ipad 3 version. Id rather play with lower rez and better framerate.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 10:20 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Baller, PhD

I always wonder how/where these other people live that they're always on busses or trains or some shit. That just seems crazy to me, I've never lived anywhere that had public transportation like that and I've lived all over the U.S. I feel like most pro-mobile people play their mobile games in the comfort of their own home and then justify the shit on the Internet by saying they can take it on the "bus." Maybe I'm just crazy though.

I see thousands of people on buses and trains 4 days a week, have you never been to Chicago, New York or basically ANY major metro area north of the Carolinas?

Originally Posted by Dynamite Shikoku

Bah, gonna skip this cause of the shitty ipad 3 version. Id rather play with lower rez and better framerate.

ipad3 has better framerate than 4s or ipad2 just less special effects
Nilaul
Member
(05-10-2012, 10:20 PM)
Nilaul's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alchemy

While not first person, both Uncharted Golden Abyss and Unit 13 have better shooting mechanics. Hell, even Metroid Prime Hunters is more enjoyable than NOVA.

Either way you say it Metroid hunters is a good game.
numble
Member
(05-10-2012, 10:20 PM)
numble's Avatar

Originally Posted by Baller, PhD

I always wonder how/where these other people live that they're always on busses or trains or some shit. That just seems crazy to me, I've never lived anywhere that had public transportation like that and I've lived all over the U.S. I feel like most pro-mobile people play their mobile games in the comfort of their own home and then justify the shit on the Internet by saying they can take it on the "bus." Maybe I'm just crazy though.

You've never lived in New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, or D.C.?
Diablohead
Member
(05-10-2012, 10:33 PM)
Diablohead's Avatar

Originally Posted by heringer

Hmm, so no DOF on the new iPad?

from the dead guy shot alone there is no DOF or ambient glow, some scenes in youtube videos have motion blur (bomb in the building about 5 minutes in the first level) and no dynamic shadows on ipad 3.

I do hope that they stick ipad 2 res as an option asap.

Originally Posted by tinfoilhatman


ipad3 has better framerate than 4s or ipad2 just less special effects

really, because it's rather dog poop right now especially in multi.
Last edited by Diablohead; 05-10-2012 at 10:37 PM.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 10:38 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Diablohead

from the dead guy shot alone there is no DOF or ambient glow, some scenes in youtube videos have motion blur (bomb in the building about 5 minutes in the first level) and no dynamic shadows on ipad 3.

I do hope that they stick ipad 2 res as an option asap.



really, because it's rather dog poop right now especially in multi.

Agreed but I do like the insane sharpness and jaggy free version on ipad3
Baller, PhD
Banned
(05-10-2012, 10:39 PM)
Baller, PhD's Avatar

Originally Posted by numble

You've never lived in New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, or D.C.?

Nope.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(05-10-2012, 10:39 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Diablohead

from the dead guy shot alone there is no DOF or ambient glow, some scenes in youtube videos have motion blur (bomb in the building about 5 minutes in the first level) and no dynamic shadows on ipad 3.

I do hope that they stick ipad 2 res as an option asap.



really, because it's rather dog poop right now especially in multi.

Downloading tonight I just heard it(frame-rate) was better on ipad3 , I probably won't play MP at all so who knows.
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious
(05-10-2012, 10:48 PM)
Dreams-Visions's Avatar
buying it, but disappointed in the loss of effects. maybe they'll find way to get them in at a later date through a patch. either way, I'd rather have a great FPS than bitch about some sfx.

oh, and add me to the "give me the option of iPad 2 resolution with all the effects and allow me to re-size to iPad 3 screen" camp.
neojubei
Will drop pants for Sony.
(05-10-2012, 10:50 PM)
neojubei's Avatar

Originally Posted by heringer

Hmm, so no DOF on the new iPad?

That sucks. You guys are making me want to buy this game.
chickdigger802
Banned
(05-10-2012, 10:53 PM)
chickdigger802's Avatar
Anyone find a way to customize the button layouts?

I kinda want the ironsight button to be bigger.

And god, the guy walks at a super fast pace. At least twice as fast as master chief imo.
Dacvak
No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
(05-10-2012, 11:31 PM)
Dacvak's Avatar

Originally Posted by chickdigger802

Anyone find a way to customize the button layouts?

I kinda want the ironsight button to be bigger.

And god, the guy walks at a super fast pace. At least twice as fast as master chief imo.

You can't resize the on-screen buttons, but you can move them around however you'd like. It's buried somewhere in the controls/options menu - you have to scroll down to get to it.
kinggroin
Member
(05-10-2012, 11:31 PM)
kinggroin's Avatar

Originally Posted by tinfoilhatman

Sigh.......I'm arguing that its better than anything else out there available(mobile), how is that so difficult to understand?

So by that same logic no one should have played a FPS between GoldenEye(N64) and Halo(Xbox1)?


No. God almighty, you've gone completely off track (and taken alchemy wth you).

He says he's gonna pass since he doesn't find the series enjoyable at all. No comparison to other series is needed if he doesn't care for it. There being so little competition doesn't change how he feels, nor should it.

You asking what you did was completely pointless. If you enjoy the game, then continue to do so without questioning someone else's opinion on the matter.
Kurdel
Member
(05-10-2012, 11:41 PM)
Kurdel's Avatar
I only got to play for about 30 minutes on an iPad 3.

Framerate is quite bad. Will give the single player another shot that is for sure.

I am wondering how this title would do on the Vita if it were ported over. I am starting to get sick of the lowered standards for iOS games....

Thread Tools