• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 The Golden (Vita) - Opening animation revealed

ZenaxPure

I like the opening itself, but not really digging the song. Also we really need gif forms of each of their dances.

Can't wait for it to come out though since I seriously plan to buy a Vita just for it. I've had the itch to replay it for months now but given the fact I'll probably spend another 100 hours with it it's better to just wait.

Astra

Haha, Yosuke in the garbage can.

I preordered this the other day, can't wait. It's the game that is making me buy a Vita, finally.

I'm definitely picking this up but I never finished Persona 4. I wonder if I should put it on my summer games list or just wait for this.

I never finished Persona 4. I started it right after finishing P3. It was good but I experienced Persona burnout. I still have my PS3 copy but I think I'm just going to wait for this.

Clott

I just don't know. I was so hyped to...but now Chie voice gone (nooooooo!), teddy voice probably gone, new intro is less hype...hmmm. I can't decide if I want to get a vita/replay this anymore :-(

Wait what?

I thought the main content was basically untouched, they removed voices?

cj_iwakura

Wait what?

They no longer have Chie or Teddie's dub VAs. Golden might keep the content from P4 proper, but I highly doubt it.

Not really a deal-breaker, but all the more reason not to bother if you have P4PS2.

Soul Hackers is far more desirable to me. We've never gotten that. Shame that P4 is where the $$$ is.

Omikaru

Wait what?

There's new content, so they need to get the cast back together to record them.

By the looks of it, the VAs for Teddy and Chie won't be reprising their roles (this seems to be the case in P4 Arena), so it's likely their entire set of lines will be re-recorded for P4 Golden, unless they want a jarring switch of actors and actresses when new content is played. I'll take the new voices rather than that, thanks.

And whilst I'm not keen on the sound of Teddy's new voice, I think when we hear Chie's new voice we'll all be happy. Erin Fitzgerald (Erica in Catherine) is voicing her from now on.

Himself

This is slightly OT, but this is the most active Prsona thread at the moment so I'll fire away.

I'm playing P3 for the first time, about 10 hours in, and I like it but don't love it. My main problem is that it doesn't really feel like an adventure or...it just lacks excitement I guess. Are the characters and scenarios a bit more interesting/varied in P4? More compelling locales and exploration? Does the game have momentum? That's what I feel is missing from P3: any sense of momentum. I know it's not your typical save the world go on an adventure RPG and thats why it's cool, I just feel like something missing.

Omikaru

This is slightly OT, but this is the most active Prsona thread at the moment so I'll fire away.

I'm playing P3 for the first time, about 10 hours in, and I like it but don't love it. My main problem is that it doesn't really feel like an adventure or...it just lacks excitement I guess. Are the characters and scenarios a bit more interesting/varied in P4? More compelling locales and exploration? Does the game have momentum? That's what I feel is missing from P3: any sense of momentum. I know it's not your typical save the world go on an adventure RPG and thats why it's cool, I just feel like something missing.

Persona 4 is more laid back than P3 in terms of mood/atmosphere. In my opinion the themed dungeons of P4 are more interesting than Tartarus in P3.

As for this momentum you talk about... hmmm. I felt that as the protagonist in P3 I wasn't really compelled to do any of the tasks thrown at me. There wasn't a sense of urgency. You kind of forget that once you're 30+ hours into the game and you get to know the characters a bit more (and I really suggest you power on -- it's a good game, especially once you hit 25-30 hours), but I can kind of feel where you're coming from with that.

Persona 4, on the other hand, takes its time getting you into the first dungeon, and in my opinion really sets up the scenario better. It's just on the whole a better told story/scenario. There's intrigue (from earlier on at least -- P3 has its fair share of mysteries too, but they only presented themselves later into the game), there's urgency, I prefer the core cast of characters, Inaba is more interesting than Iwatodai, and the social links seem better paced and more fleshed-out. Overall it just feels like a more complete version of the idea that they were trying to make a game out of with Persona 3.

Hope that helps.

Himself

Perfect, thanks for the feedback. I know there is a rift between the P3 and P4 lovers, and I feel I might end up on the P4 side. But I'm still gonna give P3 more time. I'm enjoying it, even if it's not as great as I think it could be.

Wow, after all the bad Persona portable intros, I had no idea the EP one was so good!

I was about to say that the composer needs to take a break from vocalized songs.

Yuripaw

Banned
Persona 4 is more laid back than P3 in terms of mood/atmosphere. In my opinion the themed dungeons of P4 are more interesting than Tartarus in P3.

As for this momentum you talk about... hmmm. I felt that as the protagonist in P3 I wasn't really compelled to do any of the tasks thrown at me. There wasn't a sense of urgency. You kind of forget that once you're 30+ hours into the game and you get to know the characters a bit more (and I really suggest you power on -- it's a good game, especially once you hit 25-30 hours), but I can kind of feel where you're coming from with that.

Persona 4, on the other hand, takes its time getting you into the first dungeon, and in my opinion really sets up the scenario better. It's just on the whole a better told story/scenario. There's intrigue (from earlier on at least -- P3 has its fair share of mysteries too, but they only presented themselves later into the game), there's urgency, I prefer the core cast of characters, Inaba is more interesting than Iwatodai, and the social links seem better paced and more fleshed-out. Overall it just feels like a more complete version of the idea that they were trying to make a game out of with Persona 3.

Hope that helps.

This is pretty much spot on. I have always been a little more extreme in my feelings on Persona 3 and Persona 4. Story and pacing has always been something that helps me enjoy a game more, and Persona 3 just didn't give me nearly enough incentive to care about anything going on, and it's thrown at you in such a way, that I felt like...why am I doing this? What is going on? The story is just so much better presented, and you are invested in the characters/story so much more. Not to mention the gameplay is more refined to the point of perfection in P4 I think. The pacing of each dungeon, the different themes of all the different ones gives great variety.

Yuripaw

Banned
After watching this a few times it grew on me

lol, same here. At first I didn't like it, but...I just looovvvveeeee all things Persona 4 <3

Edit: at first I didn't get why Yosuke was in a trash can...but then I remembered the game, and found it so funny that they put that in the intro. Rolling Student returns!

WhyMe6

Wow, I didn't like it at first - at all - but then I watched it a second time and it's...grown on me significantly. It's really sweet and definitely captures the mood of the game nicely.

npm0925

Altogether very much bleh. Lacks the weird coolness of both 3 & 4. And seems to very much ignore the dark undertones of the game.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This is hilarious. I actually like that they're going for something silly considering the original opening will most likely be available anyway.

Well...I definitely was not expecting. I thought they were gonna aim for something like Persona 3 Portable's opening. Which I'm glad they didn't, but I think it'll take sometime for me to get used to it.

Seeing the actual characters is a big difference- normally they're pretty damn stylized. Guess they wanted to make the most of that anime stuff.

Yuripaw

Banned
Oh come on guys (ones who are saying it's awful) you gotta let it grow on you. I wasn't feeling it at first, but I'm really into it now. The harmonica at the start turned me off at first, but I love the music when it picks up around 1:02, and I like the piano notes near the end. It's a really catchy tune. Plus I think Chie's and Rise's dances are so cute ^_^ The MC is still a fuckin pimp too.

kewlmyc

Oh come on guys (ones who are saying it's awful) you gotta let it grow on you. I wasn't feeling it at first, but I'm really into it now. The harmonica at the start turned me off at first, but I love the music when it picks up around 1:02, and I like the piano notes near the end. It's a really catchy tune. Plus I think Chie's and Rise's dances are so cute ^_^ The MC is still a fuckin pimp too.
It just seems cheaply made, that's all. Plus, I'm never been a fan of the singer. She really needs to work on her English. The battle theme is better than the old one though.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
It just seems cheaply made, that's all. Plus, I'm never been a fan of the singer. She really needs to work on her English. The battle theme is better than the old one though.
For me, the song grew on me quickly, but the jerky animations turn me off. It's cute and all, but I feel like there weren't enough frames in the dances. I assume it's on purpose, but it does give off a "cheap" feel.

Yuripaw

Banned
For me, the song grew on me quickly, but the jerky animations turn me off. It's cute and all, but I feel like there weren't enough frames in the dances. I assume it's on purpose, but it does give off a "cheap" feel.

Well this is basically a handheld port. Sure it'll probably be more featured the previous handheld ports like P3P, and has new content, but it's still not a fully new product, and probably doesn't have tons of resources being devoted to it. I'm expecting this, but I'll still eat this up when it comes out, even though I've beaten P4 at least twice already.

P4 Arena, and this game are probably just products being put out to satisfy us fans while they keep working on whatever their team's next big project is.

Poyunch

This. But I don't think it was done on purpose at all. It's genuinely bad.

WhyMe6

Shihoko Hirata hate will never be tolerated. She's the greatest!

Kazzy

It's okay, the animation looks pretty crappy but I'm sure the music will eventually worm its way into my head, most Persona music inevitably does!

The intro for Persona 3 Portable is still my personal favourite.

cj_iwakura

Well this is basically a handheld port. Sure it'll probably be more featured the previous handheld ports like P3P, and has new content, but it's still not a fully new product, and probably doesn't have tons of resources being devoted to it. I'm expecting this, but I'll still eat this up when it comes out, even though I've beaten P4 at least twice already.

P4 Arena, and this game are probably just products being put out to satisfy us fans while they keep working on whatever their team's next big project is.

In all fairness, P5 sounds extremely ambitious, so I'm okay with the port/sideproject funding.

Catherine was that damn good.

Also, am I the only one who prefers the OPs done by Atlus, themselves?

Top Bottom