• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] German retailer leaks Diablo 3 exclusive for PS3

If so ....I will buy again.. If there is a vita release then I will by it for that as well :p .
Off course it would be really nice if it has a steam like account integration that lets me crossplay/use my current characters.

I think that's exactly how it will work. You won't have to buy multiple copies, either. If you own the game on Battle.net you will have access to downloadable clients for every version. Your characters will be persistent, but you can only log in to one system at a time. Co-op across all versions, too, since the server will be client agnostic.

I think that's exactly how it will work. You won't have to buy multiple copies, either. If you own the game on Battle.net you will have access to downloadable clients for every version. Your characters will be persistent, but you can only log in to one system at a time. Co-op across all versions, too, since the server will be client agnostic.

Then how's Sony gonna take a cut?

Xyphie

Trying to figure out how you'd map skills with variable range (Leap, Fire Bomb etc) to a controller in a way that isn't clunky and imprecise as fuck. How does Torchlight XBLA do it?

Kem0sabe

Wondering how it will be possible for the ps3 port to look even shitier than the pc version, dunno how but this being the ps3... it´s almost a certainty. ;)

Trying to figure out how you'd map skills with variable range (Leap, Fire Bomb etc) to a controller in a way that isn't clunky and imprecise as fuck. How does Torchlight XBLA do it?

I'd imagine it'd be like Dragon's Dogma's layout:

Hold L1 to pull up your primary skills, then press either square, triangle or circle to use a skill. Secondary skills, hold R1.

Alex

Torchlight does it how you think and by being a far, far easier and slower paced game where the precision and muck ups don't really matter. If Torchlight II came to XBLA, it might be a different story, since I hear it's taking the difficulty concerns of the original into mind

I'd imagine it'd be like Dragon's Dogma's layout:

Hold L1 to pull up your primary skills, then press either square, triangle or circle to use a skill. Secondary skills, hold R1.

He's talking about aiming while moving on the fly. Diablo III is completely littered with abilities that are aimed on the mouse cursor and the back end of the game is very fast, requires a ton of precision and kiting and has a lot of one shot kills. It's the same concerns as a MOBA-title. Trying to play in a MOBA game with a controller is very possible but it could not be tuned in the same way as on a PC, you'd be wrecked in a way that would make FPS control variances look cute.

It's going to take retuning (or simply advising people to plug a mouse into their PS3 which they won't do), so I sincerely doubt itll be platform agnostic regardless of being off of Battle.net.

I've heard "but the Wii-U pad!" a few times, and provided that actually wound up even slightly comfortable using it with a stylus or something, Diablo III has six hotkeys for skills, another for potions and then all of its movement and interface features, so you'd basically be pulling another Kid Icarus but by a developer who wouldnt stand for it. It'll be retuned for analog, which would be rad as fuck on the Vita, that might push me to get one if it happened.

Rflagg

I could easily see this coming to ps3/xb360, but I would be pretty surprised if it was exclusive to one of them.

Cyntec

An NDA'd journalist at CVG said there would be 2 big surprises at the Sony conference, one of them would be David Cage's new game which he admitted because it had already sort of beeen outted (he said that could probably be game of the show) but he was more coy about the other news, just saying something like gamers would be pleased and surprised. This would fit with that.

MS has some _big_ surprise as well: They are working on [THIS PART HAS BEEN CENSORED DUE TO NDA RESTRICTIONS]!! Amazing, isn't it? :) Let's say, it isn't something entirely new in general, but I wouldn't have seen this coming. But enough said, I want to keep my head on its neck for at least a few more years :)

Vita would be interesting. ps3 version... meh who cares?

Diablo 3 can run ~30fps on my shitty integrated graphics laptop. No excuses kids. And some of the higher difficulties is most definitely not the 'chill on the couch' experience imo.

While Diablo is a huge franchise, just how well would it really do on consoles? To me it seems its one of those games that if people really wanted it they would have picked up for the PC, and in that sense it doesn't make sense limiting the market down further to one console.

Shall be interesting to see how it plays out though.
That's pretty much my thinking. I mean, it could have been huge on consoles, but if it is coming now, it will essentially just be a late port, meaning most of the people who wanted the game would have already picked it up on PC. Add to that there's no real significant advantages a PS3/360 version would offer (the visuals wouldn't be any more impressive, and it's not like the PS360 are portable or anything either), so there would seem to be little incentive to double dip, as it would quite literally be the same game you've already played. So yeah, I'm not sure exactly what people mean when they're saying that this would be a mega-ton. Sure, it would be great to have the game on more platforms, but I'm just not sure how well Diablo III console ports would do at this point--they'd do alright for themselves, surely, but I'm not sure they'd be able to go beyond just alright.

Now, if it were to get a Vita version on the other hand... That could quite possibly be an entirely different story. But HD Twin ports? Eh... If they were released alongside the PC version, maybe, but now, I'm just not sure. The series's audience is on PC--expecting HD Twin ports of the game to do exceptionally well just seems like people expecting the PS3 version of Mass Effect 3 to do exceptionally well, despite that series building up its audience on 360. And sure enough, the 360 version decimated the PS3's numbers. Seems to be the same situation here--just don't really feel the hype for it.

Alx

Is it thinkable that the PS3 version allows a pure offline experience?
If the gameplay is still similar to the first one, this shouldn't be a problem, right?

I suppose it wouldn't be a problem, technically at least : there would still be an outrage from all the PC players who asked for an offline experience, and met answers about the game being "multiplayer at its core". :p

Jtrizzy

As someone who went from ps3 to pc over the last year, I have to say that Bilzzard does an amazing job of scaling the difficulty, and doing great tutorials in the game and on the web. I was never big on Dota 2, lol, or hon, but D3 and SC2 are great for people who just want to have fun and not worry about the endless complexities of some of these types of games.

Xpliskin

so Sony managed to strike an exclusivity with Blizzard ?
Which in its history has never done that ?

I don't believe this.

Alex

Co op could be cross platform, PvP would be a slaughter house! Lol!

If they let controller players into PC tuned Inferno it would basically ruin the game and there would be massive backlash and whining, and I say this as a controller fantard who plays my PC FPS's with controllers when I can :lol I know, blasphemy.

I really think it'll be platform specific or limited in some manner.

so Sony managed to strike an exclusivity with Blizzard ?
Which in its history has never done that ?

Microsoft is pretty notorious nowadays for being rigid with their online structure. After Valves dealings with Sony and Portal 2 and other stuff like the Eve spinoff and the general open nature of the platform, it seems more plausible, to me.

With how successful a lot of online and F2P and unique models a lot of genuinely awesome PC games use nowadays, itd be a good thing for a console maker to be progressive on.

Vita would be interesting. ps3 version... meh who cares?

Diablo 3 can run ~30fps on my shitty integrated graphics laptop. No excuses kids. And some of the higher difficulties is most definitely not the 'chill on the couch' experience imo.

If vita version allowed gaming using 3D i'd double dip :)

If they let controller players into PC tuned Inferno it would basically ruin the game and there would be massive backlash and whining, and I say this as a controller fantard who plays my PC FPS's with controllers when I can :lol I know, blasphemy.

I really think it'll be platform specific or limited in some manner.

you saying diablo would be easier to play with controller over M+K?

was it like that for the ps1 port?

AllenShrz

If you really want to play Diablo 3 that hard you could.. you know... play it on a PC?

Diablo 3 even run on toasters, it not the power-hungry PC title.

Alex

you saying diablo would be easier to play with controller over M+K?

was it like that for the ps1 port?

No, I'm saying, even as someone who champions as much controller use as possible, that the back end of Diablo III would be completely unplayable on a controller without a lot of retuning that would make for it's own, specific version.

You can totally make it work on a controller perfectly fine, you just can't put it on the same version as PC, it'd be like dumping a controller user into a damn DOTA 2/LoL PC match on Inferno. It's all skill shots and high speed kiting and quick gibs.

I think they'll do this, personally, and I dont find it surprising if Sony was the main benefactor of the console versions of it (but probably not exclusive). Still considering they're rushing to even keep up with the tuning and jitters on the PC version I can imagine it being deep into 2013 or 14 if and when it does occur. I really figured if Diablo III came to consoles it would be PS4/720/whatever or the such, so they could get it running at 60 FPS too.

GavinGT

Banned
People are crazy if they think Blizzard would take only 6 months to surmount all the hurdles involved in porting this to a console. 2015 sounds more likely to me than 2012.

Cyntec

I'd be truly surprised if it was exclusive, based simply on the fact that only one obscure German retailer has listed it, I'd rather think blizzard would be more concerned with maximizing profits and thus hitting as many platforms as possible...

this "obscure" retailer is actually the online presentation of Germanys biggest retailer for electronic devices: Media Markt. Its like Best Buy in Germany :)

Cartman86

Banned
People are crazy if they think Blizzard would take only 6 months to surmount all the hurdles involved in porting this to a console. 2015 sounds more likely to me than 2012.
6 months is more likely than 3 years. But either way this is bullshit.

Why are you assuming they just started working on it? It's not like Diablo 3 hasn't been in development forever. They could be 4 years deep into a console port for all we know.

Top Bottom