• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Safety Not Guaranteed |OT| A Movie Based on a Meme

Status
Not open for further replies.
iQWGrQqpCaITk.jpg

PLOT

The film follows three employees of a magazine as they investigate an ad that reads:

"Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. I have only done this once before. Safety not guaranteed."

CAST

Aubrey Plaza
Jake Johnson
Karan Soni
Mark Duplass

TRAILERS

Trailer 1

REVIEWS

Tomato-Meter: 93% | 41 fresh + 3 rotten | 7.5/10 average rating

CONSENSUS:
Safety Not Guaranteed's ostensibly modest ambitions are outmatched by the movie's strong performances, beguiling charm, and heartfelt story.

John DeFore said:

Justin Chang said:

Kathleen Murphy said:

RELEASE DATE

June 8th - US

safety-not-guaranteed-3.jpg

CrazyDude

I can already tell the ending of the film. They never go back in time, but everybody grows a little in the end.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The trailer reeks of QUIRKY INDIE BULLSHIT.

Buy my heart belongs to Aubrey Plaza, so maybe I'll have to force myself to watch this.

Rapstah

This could have been interesting to me if they had
  1. followed the guy who sent in the ad as he actually travels back in time for the second time
  2. told the story of the real reporters that tried to find and found him back when it was first inserted years ago
As it is this is neither... but the scores are still good. I might have to watch it. :(

akira28

I was gonna do this thread. Anyway, it might have been interesting if they hadn't written the film with this Audrey girl in mind. They basically wrote it as a vehicle for her quirky no-nonsense 'alt-girl who doesn't care' character. They had the nerve to call this film a sci-fi comedy in the radio story I listened to. This dude better go back in time, or I will go back in time and get a refund.

I'm definitely planning on seeing it because I'm curious how they made this into a movie, Aubrey Plaza is my girl, and I'm kinda in love with Jake Johnson now after season 1 of New Girl.

Wendo

Vasectomember
Saw this tonight. Pretty good actually. And yeah guess what
they do go back in time and there is a for real time machine
, which I really appreciated.

It's a movie that has some heart, and the humor is not nearly as pretentious as you'd be led to believe. It's a far cry from your typical "omg so indy" kind of movie. The interactions between characters are believable, and the emotional connections feel real.

I do wish that Push it to the Limit was somewhere on the soundtrack though.

tagrat

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. It doesn't do anything too crazy, but it had a lot of heart. On a side note, of the 12 people in the theater, one of them was Jeff Foxworthy.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Push it to the limit
Walk along the razor's edge
But don't look down, just keep your head
And you'll be finished

Saw this tonight. Pretty good actually. And yeah guess what
they do go back in time and there is a for real time machine
, which I really appreciated.

SOLD. Expendable lied to me. I guess it was well-meaning, but he sounded definitive that there was no time travel. :lol

Saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I agree that it has a lot of heart, and its well written, smart and satisfying on so many levels. Saw Prometheus the next day and I could use those same words to describe that disappointment. Safety Not Guaranteed was by far the better film in my opinion.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm kind of sad it doesn't have mullet guy.

I wonder if they will try to use the clip that Don LaFontaine recorded of the ad.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
It's funny, so now some of you are pretending to be too "hip" for these kinds of films.

I want to see this, looks quirky, funny, and charming. We used to have this movies back in the day, just they weren't considered indie.

You think the Breakfast Club wasn't a quirky, funny and charming little film with young hip actors?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Full disclosure: I enjoy a lot of indie movies. But there are a lot of the kind that could've used more direction. You know what I mean, I'm sure.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Saw this last night. Best movie I've seen all year.

Not really pretentious at all.

Watched it this week.

Surprised at how small the release has been, there was a single 9:45pm showing in one theater within 200 miles of my house (fortunately, it was the theater closest to my house).

Some relatively big names, including kirstin bell are in it, and its a humorous movie.

I definitely recommend it.

Its a romantic comedy pretty much....but its not a chick flick at all. Like someone said in this thread, think of it like breakfast club. All about relationships, but not pretentious and not a chick flick.

One thing I absolutely do not get is the R rating. Movie absolutly could have been rated PG. Not PG-13, but PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom