• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ace3skoot
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:16 PM)
ace3skoot's Avatar
Black Ops MP Details:

10 point allocation system replaces primary/secondary/grenades slot system
Guns, attachments, equipment, perks take up allocation points

for example you could have 2 primary weapons which would use most of your points and only have 1 perk.

Or No guns but lots of perks, so you could get a knife kill, steal a gun and make good on all the perks you choose.

New wager match variations.

Everyone starts with a machine pistol and 1 emp grenade, you have to disable and hack drones to get more kills, only way to get more emp grenades is to take them from another player.

Could find thread.

uncut show (Black Ops 2 at 14.30)
http://kiwi6.com/file/4gnsyfv4fo
Last edited by ace3skoot; 06-10-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Nemesis121
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:19 PM)
Nemesis121's Avatar
I like this system, always loved the perk in CoD4 that allowed 2 primary weapons...
ace3skoot
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:20 PM)
ace3skoot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nemesis121

I like this system, always loved the perk in CoD4 that allowed 2 primary weapons...

It really changes the dynamic of preparing your load out, I wonder if they will shake up killstreaks as much?
TricksterLoki
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:24 PM)
TricksterLoki's Avatar
This might just suck me back in. Love the way you could completely customize to your playing style and not have to work around the 3 perks, 1 primary, 1 secondary.
MarkMclovin
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:24 PM)
MarkMclovin's Avatar
Isn't 10 points enough to have everything?

NVM - I get it. Which means it'll work out better for me, as I never use secondary weapons apart from AA when going for Pro.
Last edited by MarkMclovin; 06-09-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(06-09-2012, 02:25 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar
Sorry Garnett!
SteveWD40
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:25 PM)
SteveWD40's Avatar
I like that, going Pistol only with some sweet perks might be fun.
Linkified
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:26 PM)
Linkified's Avatar
Isn't this stuff embargoed I thought Jeff G said so on the last GiantBomb Live shows.
ace3skoot
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:26 PM)
ace3skoot's Avatar

Originally Posted by MarkMclovin

Isn't 10 points enough to have everything?

No i imagine like an assualt rifle cost like 5 points

and a pistol say 2 and then 1 or each attachment it soon build up or thats my take anyway
Mik2121
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:26 PM)
Mik2121's Avatar

Originally Posted by MarkMclovin

Isn't 10 points enough to have everything?

Uhm? Do you happen to know how many points is each thing? Apparently primary weapons are around 4 points. It'd guess secondary maybe 2 or 3 depending on the kind of weapon? And kill streaks whatever, 2 or 3 maybe...
-Pyromaniac-
(06-09-2012, 02:26 PM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by MarkMclovin

Isn't 10 points enough to have everything?

...clearly they'll make certain things worth more points as it says in the OP, like having 2 primaries.

Anyway it's a pretty interesting way to go.
Nemesis121
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:27 PM)
Nemesis121's Avatar
The one negative to this system is if they add more points through DLC....which they will...
Rlan
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:27 PM)
Rlan's Avatar
Was this the "we went to a multiplayer party thing but can never ever talk about it" thing Jeff mentioned on the Bombcast?
-Pyromaniac-
(06-09-2012, 02:29 PM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar
They need to make the really good perks, the ones they know everyone will use worth a lot of points, so much so that it puts a serious hindrance on kill streaks/weapon load-outs/use of other perks.
Xater
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:31 PM)
Xater's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rlan

Was this the "we went to a multiplayer party thing but can never ever talk about it" thing Jeff mentioned on the Bombcast?

The MP thing was for the E3 judges and yeah someone probably didn't hold his mouth. God bless him!

This system sounds good to me, but I'll be playing Halo 4 instead anyway...
ace3skoot
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:33 PM)
ace3skoot's Avatar

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

They need to make the really good perks, the ones they know everyone will use worth a lot of points, so much so that it puts a serious hindrance on kill streaks/weapon load-outs/use of other perks.

This.

That way it forces people into a playstyle rather than just being a one man army kill them all. hopefully this will also decrease the chance of a single most powerful build that dominates.

apparently 3arc are pretty serious about tornement level play this time, they were always much better at patches than infinity ward but hopefully the keep that shit balanced
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(06-09-2012, 02:37 PM)
soultron's Avatar
Fuck you, Call of Duty.

Don't make me buy you again.

I'll wait for LeMax to play it and give his impressions of the new point-based allocation system. That guy is a beast and he really has a great sense of what is balanced and what is broken.
Last edited by soultron; 06-09-2012 at 02:40 PM.
-Pyromaniac-
(06-09-2012, 02:39 PM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar
If this was Infinity Ward they'd give you a thousand points while everything only costs a max of 5 points, just so you can have an extra 990 just in case. They'd also make killstreaks give you more points to stack and allow you to add to your load-out midgame.

I genuinely think IW would do something stupid like that, thankfully though, this is not them.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(06-09-2012, 02:39 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar
I hope all this stuff and the variations of modes make it into Combat Training. In an ideal world everything that's in the MP game would also be in CT.
ace3skoot
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:41 PM)
ace3skoot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

I hope all this stuff and the variations of modes make it into Combat Training. In an ideal world everything that's in the MP game would also be in CT.

I won't forgive IW for not including Combat Training, 3arc really are the innovators when it comes to CoD.

considering the campaign difference, 8 player zombies and the shook up MP i think people accusing COD of being stale should rethink the stance...not that they will :p
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(06-09-2012, 02:43 PM)
soultron's Avatar
Am I the only person who thought COD4 did it right just because of its simplicity?

Sure Juggernaut (and to a certain extent, Stopping Power), Last Stand, and Martyrdom were bullshit, but it still doesn't compare to the pure horseshit that was Marathon, 23525 Harriers in the sky, and the Nuke/MOAB.

Give me a few perks and the vanilla UAV/Air Strike/Attack Chopper. Thank you and goodnight.

EDIT: Agreed to Trey being the better COD studio as of late. I love the original IW guys, but I hated MW2.
-Pyromaniac-
(06-09-2012, 02:45 PM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by soultron

Am I the only person who thought COD4 did it right just because of its simplicity?

Sure Juggernaut (and to a certain extent, Stopping Power), Last Stand, and Martyrdom were bullshit, but it still doesn't compare to the pure horseshit that was Marathon, 23525 Harriers in the sky, and the Nuke/MOAB.

Give me a few perks and the vanilla UAV/Air Strike/Attack Chopper. Thank you and goodnight.

that and a lot of the maps were good. The IW games got over excessive + the maps got worse and worse design so it was like an all out disaster.
Xater
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:46 PM)
Xater's Avatar

Originally Posted by ace3skoot

I won't forgive IW for not including Combat Training, 3arc really are the innovators when it comes to CoD.

considering the campaign difference, 8 player zombies and the shook up MP i think people accusing COD of being stale should rethink the stance...not that they will :p

Can you please stop calling Treyarc "3arc"? What an annoying way to write their name, that doesn't even make any sense.

And yeah IW made a couple of mistakes. After MW3 I have the firm believe Treyarch are now the A-Developer. The problem with MW3 might have also been a too many cooks one.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(06-09-2012, 02:46 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by soultron

Am I the only person who thought COD4 did it right just because of its simplicity?

Sure Juggernaut (and to a certain extent, Stopping Power), Last Stand, and Martyrdom were bullshit, but it still doesn't compare to the pure horseshit that was Marathon, 23525 Harriers in the sky, and the Nuke/MOAB.

Give me a few perks and the vanilla UAV/Air Strike/Attack Chopper. Thank you and goodnight.

EDIT: Agreed to Trey being the better COD studio as of late. I love the original IW guys, but I hated MW2.

Do you mean MW3? Because MW2 was West and Zampella's baby.
Mechanized
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:47 PM)
Mechanized's Avatar
I hope they take assassin out of the game. You're at an immediate disadvantage for not using it and there is no equivalent counter perk, and even if there was it would be a choice between one or the other. Silencers should hide your shots on the mini map and nothing else. However since this is future warfare I believe they'll probably put even more bullshit in. I hope not. Also they either need to make more maps accommodate sniping as a support position across the map or just get rid of sniper rifles. Quick scoping is bullshit. Sniper rifles are not fun, they lose out vs ARs all the damn time and have LESS range for some reason.
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(06-09-2012, 02:48 PM)
soultron's Avatar
I get burned out so fast when I try and play any newer COD MP except for maybe BLOPS. But magic host bullets meant that most of my play was relegated to CT.

But with COD4, even after playing it for 2 years, I can still go hours and hours with that thing. It's just too bad the console MP is hacked up pretty bad. You can go a few sessions without getting into the weird custom/hacked gametypes though, if you get lucky.
ace3skoot
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:51 PM)
ace3skoot's Avatar
I sort of agree about the simplistic approach, but even though MW2 was a flawed game in many ways the highs points were higher than any other cod. though the lows were pretty bad too. I mean Black Ops was a more consistent experience and i give it alot of credit for that, but goddam when you actually got a good game of MW2 is fantastic.


Originally Posted by Xater

Can you please stop calling Treyarc "3arc"? What an annoying way to write their name, that doesn't even make any sense.

And yeah IW made a couple of mistakes. After MW3 I have the firm believe Treyarch are now the A-Developer. The problem with MW3 might have also been a too many cooks one.

ummm....

No. No I can not.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(06-09-2012, 02:52 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xater

Can you please stop calling Treyarc "3arc"? What an annoying way to write their name, that doesn't even make any sense.

And yeah IW made a couple of mistakes. After MW3 I have the firm believe Treyarch are now the A-Developer. The problem with MW3 might have also been a too many cooks one.

That's what clan their bots are though.
ace3skoot
Member
(06-09-2012, 02:57 PM)
ace3skoot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mechanized

I hope they take assassin out of the game. You're at an immediate disadvantage for not using it and there is no equivalent counter perk, and even if there was it would be a choice between one or the other. Silencers should hide your shots on the mini map and nothing else. However since this is future warfare I believe they'll probably put even more bullshit in. I hope not. Also they either need to make more maps accommodate sniping as a support position across the map or just get rid of sniper rifles. Quick scoping is bullshit. Sniper rifles are not fun, they lose out vs ARs all the damn time and have LESS range for some reason.

I feel you man, I don't snipe I'm not sure how to deal with snipers in CoD quick scoping is bullshit i agree, but then i do feel sniping in regular multiplaye ris underpowered, they were useless in black ops. I think the power of snipers in MW2 was about right minus crazy bullshit hit boxes and quick scoping
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(06-09-2012, 03:00 PM)
soultron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

Do you mean MW3? Because MW2 was West and Zampella's baby.

Certain elements of MW2 seemed like logical progressions. Warlord was great, for example. Having CTF back was sweet too!

Other things, in my opinion, were steps backwards. The Nuke, dual wielding (fuck the 1887 especially), and the focus on killstreaks (and the constant overcrowding of the airspace) did funky things to the game.

I feel that MW3 was actually closer to COD4 because of things like strike packages. With some players forgoing killstreaks altogether, it meant that -- in some games -- you'd rarely see air support. Quiet(er) skies made it feel like COD4, if you feel me. (I still only lasted a week with MW3 before I traded it for BF3.)

It wasn't necessarily that the MW CODs, post-COD4, are less "realistic," it's just that the more fantastical elements that were introduced rubbed me the wrong way. I remember various IW staffers claiming that MW2 was them making a game they wanted to play, but I felt it wasn't being made for me. I appreciate the fact that they introduced a lot of new stuff, instead of just playing it safe -- even if I didn't like a lot of what they did.
Last edited by soultron; 06-09-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Kinyou
Member
(06-09-2012, 03:12 PM)
Kinyou's Avatar

New wager match variations.

I hope they expand on the "Gun Game"

It was the only wager match mode I really enjoyed.
Stallion Free
Cock Encumbered
(06-09-2012, 03:13 PM)
Stallion Free's Avatar
Now this is a realistic change to the series that I can believe Treyarch would make. Mostly because it sounds great.

Originally Posted by Kinyou

I hope they expand on the "Gun Game"

It was the only wager match mode I really enjoyed.

But but sticks and stones
ZeroRay
Member
(06-09-2012, 03:20 PM)
ZeroRay's Avatar

Originally Posted by soultron

I get burned out so fast when I try and play any newer COD MP except for maybe BLOPS. But magic host bullets meant that most of my play was relegated to CT.

But with COD4, even after playing it for 2 years, I can still go hours and hours with that thing. It's just too bad the console MP is hacked up pretty bad. You can go a few sessions without getting into the weird custom/hacked gametypes though, if you get lucky.

COD4 feels like an anomaly at this point. The games still have the same great mechanics, but maps, netcode, and the perks/killstreaks of the new games take away from the initial fun and simplicity of COD4.
Foxy Fox 39
Polka King of the Midwest
(06-09-2012, 03:20 PM)
Foxy Fox 39's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kinyou

I hope they expand on the "Gun Game"

It was the only wager match mode I really enjoyed.

MW3's Gun Game was unplayable compared to Blops.

The weapon progression made NO SENSE, and it was not fun at all.
Bumblebeetuna
Member
(06-09-2012, 03:21 PM)
Bumblebeetuna's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nemesis121

The one negative to this system is if they add more points through DLC....which they will...

Nah, this isn't EA. Activision is yet to take advantage of the quick unlock, buy bundles of XP/points/cash stuff other companies have tainted their shooter franchises with. I don't know why they'd start now.

This system sounds awesome. If the really good perks take up a lot of points, will really change the way the game plays out. I guess kill streaks do not take up points though? I wonder what kind of stuff we'll see.
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(06-09-2012, 03:27 PM)
soultron's Avatar

Originally Posted by ZeroRay

COD4 feels like an anomaly at this point. The games still have the same great mechanics, but maps, netcode, and the perks/killstreaks of the new games take away from the initial fun and simplicity of COD4.

COD4 was fucking magical. /tear
Messofanego
Member
(06-09-2012, 03:28 PM)
Messofanego's Avatar
Weekend Confirmed with those hot fresh NDA'ed scoops.
bomb
Member
(06-09-2012, 03:36 PM)
bomb's Avatar
I hope the knife is included in this customization. I rarely use grenades, knife, or my Secondary. Would love to load up my primary with perks.
Redux
Banned
(06-09-2012, 03:46 PM)

Originally Posted by soultron

Am I the only person who thought COD4 did it right just because of its simplicity?

Sure Juggernaut (and to a certain extent, Stopping Power), Last Stand, and Martyrdom were bullshit, but it still doesn't compare to the pure horseshit that was Marathon, 23525 Harriers in the sky, and the Nuke/MOAB.

Give me a few perks and the vanilla UAV/Air Strike/Attack Chopper. Thank you and goodnight.

EDIT: Agreed to Trey being the better COD studio as of late. I love the original IW guys, but I hated MW2.

Agreed. That and the likes of World at War. Those are the only two Call of Duty games I can go back play, and still have a blast.
Hoo-doo
Member
(06-09-2012, 04:00 PM)
Hoo-doo's Avatar
All points into stopping power, pick the P90.

It's spraying time.
Black_Stride
do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
(06-09-2012, 04:00 PM)
Black_Stride's Avatar

Originally Posted by soultron

Am I the only person who thought COD4 did it right just because of its simplicity?
Sure Juggernaut (and to a certain extent, Stopping Power), Last Stand, and Martyrdom were bullshit, but it still doesn't compare to the pure horseshit that was Marathon, 23525 Harriers in the sky, and the Nuke/MOAB.
Give me a few perks and the vanilla UAV/Air Strike/Attack Chopper. Thank you and goodnight.

I always get scared to admit this, but deep down i know it to be true.
What i loved the most about COD4 and WaW is they were simple.....to this day when i have COD4 tourneys i still use a Naked AK74 or MP5SD. It takes me split seconds to get my COD4 classes ready.....in MW3 even if i kinda know what i want i spend a good few minutes setting stuff up.
I dont need or really want all the extra faf that MW3 has, level up your character, level up your gun, level up your perk, level up your level ups.

But i digress
On Topic
I like this idea....after i know the perk list ill properly decide just how much i love it.
I might be mad enough to just go with a bunch of perks and a machine pistol, if anything.
Bumblebeetuna
Member
(06-09-2012, 04:06 PM)
Bumblebeetuna's Avatar
I wonder if Treyarch or IW would ever have the balls to scale back on MP and make it more like MW/W@W. Just simple gun on gun with some perks thrown in for strategy. What CoD is today reminds me of 3 dimensional chess from Big Bang Theory if anyone watches that show. You throw in more, then you gotta throw in counters, then counters for that, and so on until you just have too much shit.
Nabs
(06-09-2012, 04:11 PM)
Nabs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stallion Free

Now this is a realistic change to the series that I can believe Treyarch would make. Mostly because it sounds great.


But but sticks and stones

Yup. This sounds good.
ace3skoot
Member
(06-09-2012, 04:17 PM)
ace3skoot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bumblebeetuna

I wonder if Treyarch or IW would ever have the balls to scale back on MP and make it more like MW/W@W. Just simple gun on gun with some perks thrown in for strategy. What CoD is today reminds me of 3 dimensional chess from Big Bang Theory if anyone watches that show. You throw in more, then you gotta throw in counters, then counters for that, and so on until you just have too much shit.

Yeah I'm sort of with you there, but considering the setting i sort of doubt thats what we will get. I though black ops was pretty simplfyed compared to MW2/3 and pretty much everything had a counter, but i think there is something pure and unique about the COD4 experience that may never be replicated.

I think it was just one of those once in a generation games that are a little special, and the reason for it is slighty intangible. but i can't be replicated of improved with MORE!
test_account
XP-39Cē
(06-09-2012, 04:18 PM)
test_account's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nemesis121

The one negative to this system is if they add more points through DLC....which they will...

Nah, it wont happen. It would be the same as i.e having DLC for the previous Call of Duty games that allowed you to apply extra perks, it never happened.
ZZMitch
Member
(06-09-2012, 04:20 PM)
ZZMitch's Avatar

Originally Posted by SteveWD40

I like that, going Pistol only with some sweet perks might be fun.

Yeah this sounds great. My Bond class will actually work better in this game!
Last edited by ZZMitch; 06-09-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Chip N Chance
Member
(06-09-2012, 04:33 PM)
Chip N Chance's Avatar

Originally Posted by soultron

COD4 was fucking magical. /tear

Same here. That game came out at the right time and at the right place in my life that no other game can even come close to matching from here on out. I know it seems a bit of an hyperbole, but that game took over my life in a very unexpected way. I remember trying to convince my friends that to go out and buy CoD4, because at they were all still playing Halo 3. Now none of those guys play Halo lol, just CoD. Magical indeed.

Admittedly I've lost interest in the series (Kinda wish i wasn't), but Black Ops 1 is still my second favorite CoD to date. Amazing singleplayer and a multiplayer that reminded me of 4. The whole point system there doing with 2 seems pretty legit, but i hope they switch things up even more. Treyarch dont mess around.
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(06-09-2012, 04:35 PM)
soultron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chip N Chance

Same here. That game came out at the right time and at the right place in my life that no other game can even come close to matching from here on out. I know it seems a bit of an hyperbole, but that game took over my life in a very unexpected way. I remember trying to convince my friends that to go out and buy CoD4, because at they were all still playing Halo 3. Now none of those guys play Halo lol, just CoD. Magical indeed.

Admittedly I've lost interest in the series (Kinda wish i wasn't), but Black Ops 1 is still my second favorite CoD to date. Amazing singleplayer and a multiplayer that reminded me of 4. The whole point system there doing with 2 seems pretty legit, but i hope they switch things up even more. Treyarch dont mess around.

Are we twins?

I played COD4 straight for 2 years. I played very little else at that time.

BLOPS is my favourite after COD4. I actually thought the SP story was intriguing too. Great to see a functioning narrative structure instead of loading screen with dialogue.
Tomcat
Member
(06-09-2012, 04:39 PM)
Tomcat's Avatar
WaW>CoD4>Blops
Syphon Filter
Member
(06-09-2012, 04:46 PM)
Syphon Filter's Avatar
What was so good about black ops? That one i didn't get to play much.

Thread Tools