• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT| It's Time to D-D-D-D, D-D-D-D-Duel!

Wiseblade

Funny, I remember getting excited over this, online and all. It fell off the radar for me pretty fast, but I take it that I dodged a bullet there? :p

Speaking of online, has anyone here ever played YGO Online or the three PC games that came in the US?

A paltry library of 1000 cards, and a joke of a single player mode made Decade Duels a real waste of money.

Same here. No new (new) cards for over a year.

How do you people get your cards nowadays?

Usually I just buy tins and get singles from other players/retailers. I usually only buy boosters to enter locals or if there's a good number of cards I'm after in the pack.

Kokonoe

Banned
Decade Duels is bad, but it's the only way to play Yu-Gi-Oh! on a this-gen console. (although I think the listing is gone.)

Pros
Dueling system itself is solid (best I've experienced with a YGO game. It's essentially Tag Force)
Has Tag Team Dueling online.
Great music (Used from Tag Force games)

Cons
1,000 cards
No booster packs, you only earn cards from winning which are completely random.
You start out with a lousy deck while the CPU is using the meta game at that banlists time. (you get one card from losing, so eventually you can win some games) Prepare to lose consistently.

-

Konami essentially did a very lazy job with Decade Duels, and their DLC for it only unlocked cards in the game (not even a lot either). It could have been so much more.

Of course this is what got me into the game, but It's a lot better if you just play one of the DS or PSP games. If you're looking for an actual story, than get one of the DS games.

The DS World Championship games are pretty solid. They have a nice learning curve and end up getting quite hard at the end (or I am just a bad deck builder). The GBA WC game (2003 I believe) is meh; due to the lack of a ban list decks like Kaiba's are overpowered. Stairway to the Destigned Duel is pretty nice though.

Usually I just buy tins and get singles from other players/retailers. I usually only buy boosters to enter locals or if there's a good number of cards I'm after in the pack.
I guess I'll need to rely on the internet more to have success :p

The DS World Championship games are pretty solid. They have a nice learning curve and end up getting quite hard at the end (or I am just a bad deck builder). The GBA WC game (2003 I believe) is meh; due to the lack of a ban list decks like Kaiba's are overpowered. Stairway to the Destigned Duel is pretty nice though.

I guess I'll need to rely on the internet more to have success :p
WC 2006 is best. Found new loop holes to combine new Gen cards to strategize with.

tj hazuki

So, i've been watching the very first season for old time sakes.. This wasn't bad anime at all. I don't know why it got such a bad rep?

Buying boosters are a headache and if you're not careful which place you're buying it from chances are you're being screwed, but it varies how you invest to what products and location. It's better to shop online really.

Startera/Structures and tins are the way to go, IMO. You save more money and practically start out with a decent deck until you upgrade.

Much better buying cards at whole sale, other card shops have been shady and opened boosters to take out the valued card and reseal them only to be sold by an unlucky customer. Let's not forget their set prices, be wise before you buy and not be tempted of the situations.

Wiseblade

Buying boosters are a headache and if you're not careful which place you're buying it from chances are you're being screwed, but it varies how you invest to what products and location. It's better to shop online really.

Startera/Structures and tins are the way to go, IMO. You save more money and practically start out with a decent deck until you upgrade.

Much better buying cards at whole sale, other card shops have been shady and opened boosters to take out the valued card and reseal them only to be sold by an unlucky customer. Let's not forget their set prices, be wise before you buy and not be tempted of the situations.

You'd have to be visiting some really shady places to get screwed over like that. Although it is generally a good idea to check if a retailer has a good/bad reputation before buying anything in bulk from them.

Big One

Banned
So the entirety of Abyss Rising has been leaked. I won't list all the cards, but if you want to see them they're all up on YGOwikia with pics.

However I will list some cards I like and some cards I'm wary of...

Ba2WX.jpg

Nimble Goosefish
WATER
Level 2
Fish/Effect
If this card is sent from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard: Special Summon up to to 2 Level 3 or lower "Nimble" monsters from your Deck, except "Nimble Goosefish".
600/100

This card I'm wary of. It works with Genex Undine for instant rank 2. The text implies that we're getting level 3 Nimble monsters which means level 3 and level 2 spam is happening in the future. I could see this becoming problematic cause not only is it Xyz spam much in the vein of Rescue Rabbit, but because it searches out any generic Nimble monster which makes them a whole lot more playable. Just having them on the field can result in some shenanigans.

Aeapg.jpg

Ice Spirit God - Moulin Glace
WATER
Level 8
Sea Serpent/Effect
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by having exactly 5 WATER monsters in your Graveyard, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When this card is Special Summoned: You can reveal 2 random cards from your opponent's hand and discard them. If this card leaves the field, you cannot conduct your next turn's Battle Phase.
2800/2200

Water version of Gransoil but imo a lot more usuable. The fact that he's searchable with Atlantean Seahorsemen also makes him very awesome.

Y6UFQ.jpg

Forbidden Garmets
Quick-Play Spell
Target 1 face-up monster on the field; until the End Phase, it loses 600 ATK, but it cannot be targeted by or destroyed by card effects.

I like this better than Forbidden Lance.

cNv2p.jpg

Gravity Blaster
Equip Spell
Equip only to a Machine-Type monster. Once per turn, during your Main Phase: You can have the equipped monster gain 400 ATK. If the equipped monster battles an opponent's monster, the effect(s) of your opponent's monster is negated.

I really dig this card, could be useful in Gadgets. Insert a Hidden Armory Engine or something and you got yourself some nice plays.

s08Oe.jpg

Spell Deflector
Normal Trap
This turn, negate the effects of Equip, Field, Continuous, and Quick-Play Spell Card.

Another card I really dig. Very versatile as it not only stops stuff like MST from activating, but also stops Inzektors and Dark Worlds. Very awesome card imo and could see it being used.

Wiseblade

So the entirety of Abyss Rising has been leaked. I won't list all the cards, but if you want to see them they're all up on YGOwikia with pics.

However I will list some cards I like and some cards I'm wary of...

http://i.imgur.com/Ba2WX.jpg[IMG]

Nimble Goosefish
WATER
Level 2
Fish/Effect
If this card is sent from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard: Special Summon up to to 2 Level 3 or lower "Nimble" monsters from your Deck, except "Nimble Goosefish".
600/100

This card I'm wary of. It works with Genex Undine for instant rank 2. The text implies that we're getting level 3 Nimble monsters which means level 3 and level 2 spam is happening in the future. I could see this becoming problematic cause not only is it Xyz spam much in the vein of Rescue Rabbit, but because it searches out any generic Nimble monster which makes them a whole lot more playable. Just having them on the field can result in some shenanigans.[/QUOTE]
It all depends on whether The other nimble monsters have good on field effects. It's more evidence that Zenmaines will be banned soon though.

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Aeapg.jpg[IMG]

Ice Spirit God - Moulin Glace
WATER
Level 8
Sea Serpent/Effect
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by having exactly 5 WATER monsters in your Graveyard, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When this card is Special Summoned: You can reveal 2 random cards from your opponent's hand and discard them. If this card leaves the field, you cannot conduct your next turn's Battle Phase.
2800/2200

Water version of Gransoil but imo a lot more usuable. The fact that he's searchable with Atlantean Seahorsemen also makes him very awesome.[/QUOTE]
This card is terrifying. Searchable boss monster, and the summoning condition isn't too hard to meet with cards like salvage and Undine making graveyard management relatively easy. That double discard is murder to anything not named "Dark World".

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Y6UFQ.jpg[IMG]

Forbidden Garmets
Quick-Play Spell
Target 1 face-up monster on the field; until the End Phase, it loses 600 ATK, but it cannot be targeted by or destroyed by card effects.

I like this better than Forbidden Lance.[/QUOTE]
I dunno. The ATK reducing effect makes both suck defensively, and Lance's bigger ATK drop makes it better offensively.

0ztMs.jpg

Dragon deck
Baby Dragon
Blue-Eyes White Dragon
Divine Dragon Ragnarok x3
Insect Knight x2
The Dragon Dwelling in the Cave x2
King Dragun x2

Cyberdark Edge
Element Dragon x3
Gravi-Crush Dragon
Lord of D.
Masked Dragon x3
Mirage Dragon
The Dark - Hex-Sealed Fusion x2

Big Bang Shot
Dragon's Gunfire
Dragon's Mirror
Ekibyo Drakmord
Lightning Vortex
Monster Reborn
Mystical Space Typhoon
Stamping Destruction
Swords of Revealing Light

Bottomless Traphole
Call of the Haunted
Curse of Royal
Dragon's Rage
Energy Drain
Magic Jammer
Sakuretsu Armor
Seven Tools of the Bandit
Spellbinding Circle
Waboku

EjlN3.jpg

Water deck
7 Colored Fish x2
Aqua Madoor
Gagagigo
Island Turtle
Mad Lobster x2
Space Mambo x3
Terrorking Salmon x2

Amphibious Bugroth MK-3
Barrier Statue of the Torrent
Cure Mermaid
Fenrir
Lekunga
Levia Dragon - Daedalus
Mermaid Knight
Serpentine Princess
Tribe-Infecting Virus

A Legendary Ocean x3
Dark Hole
Hammer Shot
Harpie's Feather Duster
Level Limit - Area B
Monster Reborn
Mystical Space Typhoon
Pot of Greed

Blast with Chain
Cemetery Bomb
Curse of Royal
Destruction Jammer
Mask of Restrict
Raigeki Break
Sakuretsu Armor
Trap Hole
Waboku

I have another deck which beats Dragon easily, as it is a remove from play deck. However, it is about 95% a structure deck, so I decided not to post it.
Opening the box with cards actually makes me want to reinforce or rebuild my two decks. I guess I know what I'm going to do tonight.

that's some pretty cool decks. right now i'm playing with a Six Samurai deck and a Mist Valley Ninja deck. Ninjas are pretty versatile to splash into other stuff. i'm hoping they're just as good, if not better, splashed in with the new Water support

Acrylic7

I had to stop after Yu-Gi Moto wasn't the main character. It was just horrible. Then I turn on the tv one morning and some guy is going 95 trying to drop someones lifepoints.

I also lost my deck :(
Worst day ever

Kokonoe

Banned
I had to stop after Yu-Gi Moto wasn't the main character. It was just horrible. Then I turn on the tv one morning and some guy is going 95 trying to drop someones lifepoints.

I also lost my deck :(
Worst day ever

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's is really good. I'd definitely suggest watching the first few episodes to see if you like it.

Nudull

Banned
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's is really good. I'd definitely suggest watching the first few episodes to see if you like it.

Speaking of which, has Zexal turned out any good? Granted, I've barely seen 5D's since finishing off GX, but I've been a bit more curious of the latter.

Wiseblade

Speaking of which, has Zexal turned out any good? Granted, I've barely seen 5D's since finishing off GX, but I've been a bit more curious of the latter.

If you prefer your YGO serious business, then stick with 5Ds, if you like things a little more light-hearted, then watch Zexal. Although that show is moving into "The fate of the world rests on my next draw!" territory too.

Wiseblade

Jurrac Park!

Jurracs are the first, and in my eyes, best Dinosaur archetype. With a great ability to search monsters from the deck and recover them from the grave, Jurracs are criminally underrated. Without any support cards of their own, they generally just make do with generic cards or by stealing the support of other archetypes.

Monsters

3x Velo - He's basically just UFO Turtle, but exclusively for Jurracs. Which is AWESOME. When I go first I'll usually just summon him with no backrow and laugh as my opponent fills up my grave and thins my deck by attacking him.
3x Guaiba - Your standard tutor. 1700 is kind of low for a beater, so he usually needs help to get over opposing monsters.
2x Dino - The draw effect is pretty nice, but most of the time I just use her exclusively as a tuner.
3x Aeolo - The core of the deck. Aeolo allows you to pull whichever Jurrac is best suited for the situation from the grave at a moment's notice and makes Syncro/Xyz summoning a snap. One you have at least one copy of the the above three monsters, Aeolo is a terror.
1x Super-Ancient Dinobeast - Easy to summon, and can give crazy draw power with all the special summoning that can happen.
1x Gorz, Emissary of Darkness - Jurracs like to nuke the field, so having an emergency protection card like this is nice.
3x Effect Veiler - Stops monster effects. Enough said.

Spells

3x Fossil Dig - Searches dinosaurs from the deck. This card is SO GOOD.
3x Rekindling - The other key card of the deck. Originally a Flamvell support card, Special summons up to 5 monsters in the grave with 200 DEF, which is just Aeolo in this deck. But since Aeolo can Special Summon other Jurracs... This card become an instant comeback.
2x Shrink - I prefer this to other ATK boosting/lowering cards because of the surprise factor and it's harder to stop. Field and Equip spells just get MST'd or warn the opponent not to attack beforehand.
2x Forbidden Lance - doubles as an ATK reducer and as protection for my monsters.
2x Mystical Space Typhoon - Does that destroying spells/traps thing.
1x Heavy Storm - Does that destroying spells/traps thing, but more of it.
1x Dark hole - Like heavy storm, but for monsters.
1x Monster Reborn - Does exactly what it says on the tin.
1x Book of Moon - useful for stopping combos and making monsters easier for Guaiba to kill.
1x One For One - Discard a monster (usually Dinobeast) to SS a level 1 monster from the deck (usually aeolo).

Traps

1x Solemn Judgment - Well, duh.
2x Solemn Warning - Double duh.
2x Call of the Haunted - Even more Grave recovery!
1x Mirror Force - Mirrors the opponent's force back at them.
1x Dark Bribe - Once I negated Gateway to Drak World with this, only for the opponent to draw another copy. That was a bad day.

Extra Deck

3x Jurrac Giganoto - Get one on the field and all you monsters suddenly become beatsticks. Get two on the field...
1x Jurrac Velphito - Nice for popping set Ryko and Fossil Dyna.
1x Jurrac Meteor - Wipes the field clear and brings back Aeolo. Just there in case I side in Ptera.
2x Evolzar Laggia - One of the Evol Xyz, but Jurracs can use him better. Solemn Judgment on legs is already nice, Paired with a Giganoto is even better.
2x Evolzar Dolkka - Because you can never have enough effect negation.
1x Stardust Dragon - Because every deck with a tuner should have stardust in the extra deck.
1x Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier - Same for him too.
1x Mist Wurm - Might take this out soon, I don't really use it.
1x Scrap Dragon - has come in handy a few times.

Big One

Banned
I like the deck, though I do think it could use some tweaks. I think the deck would run even more consistently if you ran Flamvell Firedog so you can tutor Aelo and dump him into the graveyard (also allows you to summon Catastor and T.G. Hyper Librarian). I'd take the Shrink out and just go with triple Forbidden Lance and/or Forbidden Chalice, though Shrink is still very good and awesome so that's really up to you. You could probably take out the Dark Bribe and Mirror Force for double TT, and your extra deck seems like it has a lot of filler cards that could easily be something else.

I do like that it's basically standard Jurracs instead of Flamvell Jurracs with the entire Flamvell engine. Seems more anti-meta based, which is cool. However keep in mind that anti-meta usually runs a lot more traps.

Wiseblade

I like the deck, though I do think it could use some tweaks. I think the deck would run even more consistently if you ran Flamvell Firedog so you can tutor Aelo and dump him into the graveyard (also allows you to summon Catastor and T.G. Hyper Librarian). I'd take the Shrink out and just go with triple Forbidden Lance and/or Forbidden Chalice, though Shrink is still very good and awesome so that's really up to you. You could probably take out the Dark Bribe and Mirror Force for double TT, and your extra deck seems like it has a lot of filler cards that could easily be something else.

I do like that it's basically standard Jurracs instead of Flamvell Jurracs with the entire Flamvell engine. Seems more anti-meta based, which is cool. However keep in mind that anti-meta usually runs a lot more traps.

Yeah, I really should take a proper look at the extra deck, and Dark Bribe is really just a relic from the pre-Evolzar days. I really like running Shrink though, otherwise anything 2500 ATK or higher just becomes a major pain to deal with.

There are also black cards now? :S I've been out of this for way too long.

Taken from the other Yu-gi-oh! thread:

What are these newfangled Black and White cards? I don't remember them!

The White cards are Synchro monsters, a type of card introduced in 2008. They are summoned by removing monsters on the field whose total levels are equal to the level of the monster you want to summon. Usually one of the monsters removed has to be a tuner monster, a type of monster introduced just for summoning Synchro Monsters. For example:

7520.jpg
[ +
151.jpg
=
6209.jpg

Mist Valley Warrior (Level 4 Tuner) + Dark Blade (Level 4 Non-tuner) = Stardust Dragon (level 8 Synchro).

The Black cards are Xyz monsters (pronounced "exeez") and were introduced earlier this year. They are summoned by placing two or more monsters of the same level underneath an Xyz monster of an equivalent rank. Most Xyz Monsters have effect that require sending the cards placed underneath ( referred to as Xyz Material) to the grave. For example:

172px-SpiritoftheHarpLOB-NA-R-1E.jpg
+
172px-DarkBlade5DS1-EN-C-1E.png
=
172px-Number39UtopiaYS11-EN-UR-1E.jpg

Spirit of the Harp (Level 4 Monster) + Dark Blade (Level 4 Monster) = Number 39: Utopia (Rank 4 Xyz).

Synchro and Xyz monsters are both placed in the Extra deck (formerly the Fusion deck) along with Fusion monsters.

Kokonoe

Banned
I played a bit of Machina in Over the Nexus, they're kinda fun. Although the game I believe was missing a few cards that made it shine in the TCG.

It's a shame there are so many anti-machine themed cards in the game, though.

Big One

Banned
Yeah stuff like System Down and Chimeratech are just broken as fuck in design. Then again Machines as a whole are very good and without any outs to them could pretty much overrun the entire meta-game.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah stuff like System Down and Chimeratech are just broken as fuck in design. Then again Machines as a whole are very good and without any outs to them could pretty much overrun the entire meta-game.

I'd say they could definitely drop Chimeratech and they wouldn't broken, that card is just a bit much.

Fun fact: The voice actor who does Yusei in the dub plays Machina.

Kokonoe

Banned
Haven't touched the card game in years. Any reason why this hasn't been released on the iPad?

No idea, but it would be nice to have Yu-Gi-Oh! on smartphones, etc. Only options currently are the DS and PSP for the modern game. Although, I believe you can play off Dueling Network on the iPad, but I'm not sure.

Kokonoe

Banned
I kinda have the urge to play classic style Yu-Gi-Oh! again. I should probably set something up just for fun where you only use up to a certain degree of boosters.

No idea, but it would be nice to have Yu-Gi-Oh! on smartphones, etc. Only options currently are the DS and PSP for the modern game. Although, I believe you can play off Dueling Network on the iPad, but I'm not sure.
I downloaded emulators and have my own roms to play on my cell phone. Playing Yugioh on the go or at home feels good.

Wiseblade

I was goofing around with Madolches earlier and confirmed my suspicions that they're secretly amazing. Although I can kind of understand why they are underrated since the deck style isn't quite as obvious as something like Prophecy and simply staring at the art could give someone a toothache.

I mean just look at their Boss Monster:

300px-QueenMadolcheTiaramisu-ABYR-JP-SR.jpg

That's enough to give you diabetes.

I was goofing around with Madolches earlier and confirmed my suspicions that they're secretly amazing. Although I can kind of understand why they are underrated since the deck style isn't quite as obvious as something like Prophecy and simply staring at the art could give someone a toothache.

I mean just look at their Boss Monster:

300px-QueenMadolcheTiaramisu-ABYR-JP-SR.jpg

That's enough to give you diabetes.

Could you share your deck profile? I have no idea what to put in this deck.

How did I not see this thread. Looks like this will be another of my to go threads. I guess I'll give a info on myself. Loved watch Yugioh from the very first episode and continued to watch it till the end Pharaoh saga, all the other shows are just crap to me. Been dueling on and off, but have caught up with what's what, which includes Synchro's and XYZ summons. Started with a Joey deck, but after learning of the ban lists I moved to Zombie deck then Fortune Lady deck. Me and my friends took another break around the time XYZ monsters came out, but are back again, unfortunately I can't find all my Fortune lady cards, so I just moved to Chaos Dragons for now.

Wiseblade

Could you share your deck profile? I have no idea what to put in this deck.

I don't really know what I'm doing with them either, but here goes:

Monsters

1x Madolche Butlerusk
1x Madolche Chouxvalier
2x Madolche Cruffsant
3x Madolche Mageleine
2x Madolche Mehple
3x Madolche Messengelato
2x Madolche Mewl-Feuille
2x Madolche Puddingcess

Spells

1x Book of Moon
2x Forbidden Lance
3x Madolche Chateau
2x Madolche Ticket
2x Mystical Space Typhoon
3x Pot of Duality

Traps

2x Compulsory Evacuation Device
2x Fiendish Chain
1x Madolche Manners
1x Mirror Force
1x Solemn Judgment
2x Solemn Warning
1x The Transmigration Prophecy
1x Starlight Road

Boogiepop

Picked up the 2010 DS game a week or two ago, played through the story mode and have been messing around. First off the game is pretty hilariously bad in places, but it's still plenty of fun. The plot is (unsurprisingly) incredibly messy and crappy. Admittedly part of that is not having seen anything but the smallest amount of the 5Ds stuff, but its still a mess and quite stupid. I'm also not sure I like the villains essentially cheating with crappy "special rules" instead of just having better decks. I think my favorite was the final boss deciding to give himself double life points while I was crippled by being stuck with a mentally crippled AI partner. I mean, all he did was clog up the field with two useless 100/100 monsters and then proceed to use my cards incorrectly. I had a golem that could flip itself down each turn and returned monsters to the opponents hands when it flipped face up, and used figured it was a great idea to leave it in attack mode. Oh, and when the villain flipped my 2400/1000 monster face-down, Yusei just kind of left it there. It's kind of a small miracle that I managed to win. Plus the motorcycle minigame is really poor, especially when they make you take it slow to grab stuff and then end it with a long string of potential instant death. Ugh. And of course Turbo-duels are probably the worst alternate game type ever. Can't even use my proper deck, have to build a crippled one. Yuck.

But at least it seems to be a nice representation of the game, and it sure has plenty of cards to play around with. The biggest thing that stood out to me was that they seem to have broken the attack barrier for level 4 monsters again. Found a normal monster that just straight up has 2000 attack with no drawbacks. Of course I'm sure there's worse stuff lurking in these packs that I have yet to see, heh.

Edit: Also, it looks like they may have finally created actual deck-types that work. I can't remember a time when deckbuilding was much more than "splash in all the good cards you have, try to make a half-way decent balance." Nice to see that they may have fixed that.

Top Bottom