• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Weenerz
Banned
(06-24-2012, 08:32 PM)

Alex Trebek, longtime host of the iconic game show Jeopardy!, was admitted into Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles on Saturday after suffering a “mild heart attack.”

According to a statement released Sunday by Sony Pictures Television, “Trebek is in good spirits and is currently under observation and undergoing further testing.He is expected to fully recover and be back at Jeopardy! when production begins taping in July for the new season, the show's 29th.”
Trebek previously suffered a heart attack in December 2007, after which he returned to Jeopardy! in a matter of weeks. He was also injured on July 27, 2011 while pursuing a burglar in his hotel room in San Francisco. After snapping his Achilles' tendon, he wore a cast for six weeks.
Trebek, 71, has hosted Jeopardy! since 1984, and his contract was recently extended until 2014. Speaking to THR at the Peabody Awards in May, Trebek said that his dream job would be hosting Hollywood Squares.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-attack-341331

Seems a bit quick to come back from a heart attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HdAwrKtw48

His outakes are hilarious.
Last edited by Weenerz; 06-24-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Count Dookkake
(06-24-2012, 08:32 PM)
What is this pain in my arm?
Htown
STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
(06-24-2012, 08:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Count Dookkake

You are a terrible person.

I actually laughed you asshole
Ourobolus
Keeper of the Book

Jesus. Amazing.

Good to hear he seems ok.
GaimeGuy

You bastard
RukusProvider

Correct Answer. What is myocardial infarction.
DY_nasty
#notmine

lmao

goddamnit
Cactus
(06-24-2012, 08:34 PM)

I know I shouldn't laugh, but LOL
19 & 21
(06-24-2012, 08:36 PM)

You've simultaneously made and ruined my day.
iamshadowlark
Banned
(06-24-2012, 08:36 PM)
Damn not Alex...
dafinezt
(06-24-2012, 08:38 PM)

Amazing
twinturbo2
butthurt Heat fan
(06-24-2012, 08:38 PM)

I'm going to hell for laughing at this.
Heretic
(06-24-2012, 08:40 PM)

*bow*
demosthenes
(06-24-2012, 08:41 PM)

I laughed.

Really happy to hear he's ok.
B.K.
(06-24-2012, 08:41 PM)

Originally Posted by twinturbo2

I'm going to hell for laughing at this.

It's okay to laugh at it. It sounds like he's doing pretty well and is going to be fine. If he had died, it would have been a different matter.
itsgreen
(06-24-2012, 08:42 PM)
Seems like his life is in jeopardy...
the chris
(06-24-2012, 08:44 PM)

-Pyromaniac-
(06-24-2012, 08:45 PM)

Originally Posted by itsgreen

Seems like his life is in jeopardy...

lol this one was funnier to me.

anyway it's good he is fine.
Slayer-33
Liverpool-2
(06-24-2012, 08:49 PM)

holy shit master lol
WickedCobra03
(06-24-2012, 08:49 PM)
I am glad he is alright, but yes, I did laugh at the first joke... :|
deejay8595
my posts are "MEH"
(06-24-2012, 08:50 PM)

I feel horrible for laughing lol
TemplaerDude

Doesn't get much better than this, folks!
Tashi
343i Community Coordinator
I couldn't imagine Jeopardy with out Trebek.
WonkersTHEWatilla
(06-24-2012, 08:52 PM)
He's 71?! He looks 20 years younger without the 'stache.
Hawkian
(06-24-2012, 08:54 PM)
I love it when I see a thread title, hope that the first reply is from the poster I expect it to be, and wind up correct, smiling, and satisfied.
twinturbo2
butthurt Heat fan
(06-25-2012, 12:06 AM)

Originally Posted by B.K.

It's okay to laugh at it. It sounds like he's doing pretty well and is going to be fine. If he had died, it would have been a different matter.

True.

I just wonder if we can blame Sean Connery for this.
thesoapster
(06-25-2012, 03:57 AM)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215975

:p

(Apparently, guy is not so healthy...)
Demon Ice
(06-25-2012, 04:09 AM)
I am convinced that Count Dookkake is actually a group of elves scouring threads and coming up with puns. No way that's all the work of a single person.
Izick
(06-25-2012, 04:10 AM)
Aw that sucks. Hope he's alright, he seems like a great guy.
bengraven
will fuck homely black hookers in the name of progress and tolerance
(06-25-2012, 04:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Demon Ice

I am convinced that Count Dookkake is actually a group of elves scouring threads and coming up with puns. No way that's all the work of a single person.

He has GAF Platinum, which automatically puts his first response in the second place and adjusts the time as well.
xbhaskarx
(06-25-2012, 04:13 AM)

Originally Posted by WonkersTHEWatilla

He's 71?! He looks 20 years younger without the 'stache.

He looks 20 years younger than 70 even with the mustache...
Kitsunebaby
(06-25-2012, 04:13 AM)
When does he return? I need my fix.
entrement
(06-25-2012, 04:15 AM)

Originally Posted by xbhaskarx

He looks 20 years younger than 70 even with the mustache...

Plastic surgery is not uncommon for people in his line of work.
PigSpeakers
(06-25-2012, 04:21 AM)
Dear Alex,

Please grow the stache back.

Love,
PigSpeakers.
Eric Walton
(06-25-2012, 04:28 AM)
trebek is a young go-hard
Death Dealer
(06-25-2012, 04:33 AM)
As much as I like Jeopardy, they really need to up the prize money. It's been the same since I began watching the show.

It's sad to see the Jeopardy champion typically only win like $15,000 when game shows like Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, people can win that much even if they go home early (before even finished the first round) Or Wheel of Fortune when the losing contestants, can sometimes go home with $5,000-10,000.

Get well Alex. Jeopardy is about the only game show that hasn't been dumbed down.
phosphor112
Banned
(06-25-2012, 04:34 AM)
I told my wife about this news, she looked at me and said. "...who?"
... :|
Joe Shlabotnik
(06-25-2012, 04:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Death Dealer

As much as I like Jeopardy, they really need to up the prize money. It's been the same since I began watching the show.

It's sad to see the Jeopardy champion typically only win like $15,000 when game shows like Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, people can win that much even if they go home early (before even finished the first round) Or Wheel of Fortune when the losing contestants, can sometimes go home with $5,000-10,000.

Get well Alex. Jeopardy is about the only game show that hasn't been dumbed down.

You can make dough on Jeopardy! but you gotta earn it. No returning "champs" on Wheel Of Fortune or Millionaire. Of course the point of Millionaire is to throw shitloads of cash around but I suspect the average Jeopardy champ walks away with more than a Wheel Of Fortune winner when their run is over.
Death Dealer
(06-25-2012, 04:46 AM)
Yeah I thought about that but still, you don't see many people that repeat more than once, so they could have maybe two or three $15,000 wins if they're lucky but still have you watched wheel of fortune lately ? The typical final puzzle prize is $30,000-40,000 on top of what they already won. And they give you all the common letters and let you pick three more and a vowel.

If I had my choice, I'd go on Millionaire first, Wheel second, Jeopardy last.
Although the teen week jeopardy is a joke. I understand they need to make it easier due to the ages, but I think they overdue it. It seems like almost every question will get answered correctly by someone, but on regular Jeopardy, even the champion will get stumped on a hard question.
OpinionatedCyborg
Thread Clinging Troll
(06-25-2012, 04:49 AM)

they doubled the prize money around 10 years ago... I still fondly remember when it was 100, 200, 300, etc. even with the lower prize money, there were a few memory savants in the 90s who fucking tore shit up and could hit 20k in a few games...

also, remember with millionaire that you have to to the fastest finger thing to even get on. at least with jeopardy, if they put you on the show you have an opportunity to win some cash.
King Of Fuh
(06-25-2012, 04:58 AM)

Yeah I thought about that but still, you don't see many people that repeat more than once, so they could have maybe two or three $15,000 wins if they're lucky but still have you watched wheel of fortune lately ? The typical final puzzle prize is $30,000-40,000 on top of what they already won. And they give you all the common letters and let you pick three more and a vowel.

If I had my choice, I'd go on Millionaire first, Wheel second, Jeopardy last.
Although the teen week jeopardy is a joke. I understand they need to make it easier due to the ages, but I think they overdue it. It seems like almost every question will get answered correctly by someone, but on regular Jeopardy, even the champion will get stumped on a hard question.

Some shows exist to make people go "ooooh... ahhhh" at the money totals, like Let's Make a Deal, but I don't think anybody watches Jeopardy to watch the Money (except for Ken Jennings' run, but that was just more about his hot streak than the total itself). Jeopardy is all about trying to answer the questions yourself and impressing your friends. The producers probably wouldn't really benefit at all, ratings wise, from increasing the payout, so why would they bother?
Mothman91
(06-25-2012, 05:01 AM)

fuuuuuuuuu

damn...
Death Dealer
(06-25-2012, 05:04 AM)

Originally Posted by OpinionatedCyborg

they doubled the prize money around 10 years ago... I still fondly remember when it was 100, 200, 300, etc. even with the lower prize money, there were a few memory savants in the 90s who fucking tore shit up and could hit 20k in a few games...

I forgot they did raise it once a while ago. I've been watching it off and on for about 25 years. Yeah I think some people hit 20k even before they raised the prize money, but it was after winning their bet in final jeopardy. Even now with the new $2000 questions in double jeopardy, it seems rare to see anyone break 20k before the conclusion of final jeopardy.

Originally Posted by OpinionatedCyborg

also, remember with millionaire that you have to to the fastest finger thing to even get on. at least with jeopardy, if they put you on the show you have an opportunity to win some cash.

Do they still do that ? I remember when it used to be that way, but the episodes I've seen lately are a completely new format. The prize money and difficulty of the questions is randomized in the first 15 questions or whatever. It seems like they just call people out and they're on, no more fastest finger thing. But yeah that would suck to go out there and not even get to compete. I've checked into it. I'll definitely be there the next time they hold open auditions in my city. I guess once you get screened to go on the show, you're in a que, and if a producer decides to put you on, you get 1-2 days notice and have to fly out to NYC for the taping at your own expense. But it would totally be worth it. I think you have to screw up royally to not take home at least $10,000 or more on that show. Especially with the new format where you can quit at anytime and keep half your winnings.
BrokenEchelon
(06-25-2012, 05:07 AM)
Someone must have managed to speak half of his name backwards before he consumed them.
OpinionatedCyborg
Thread Clinging Troll
(06-25-2012, 05:12 AM)

I forgot they did raise it once a while ago. I've been watching it off and on for about 25 years. Yeah I think some people hit 20k even before they raised the prize money, but it was after winning their bet in final jeopardy. Even now with the new $2000 questions in double jeopardy, it seems rare to see anyone break 20k before the conclusion of final jeopardy.

Do they still do that ? I remember when it used to be that way, but the episodes I've seen lately are a completely new format. The prize money and difficulty of the questions is randomized in the first 15 questions or whatever. It seems like they just call people out and they're on, no more fastest finger thing. But yeah that would suck to go out there and not even get to compete. I've checked into it. I'll definitely be there the next time they hold open auditions in my city. I guess once you get screened to go on the show, you're in a que, and if a producer decides to put you on, you get 1-2 days notice and have to fly out to NYC for the taping at your own expense. But it would totally be worth it. I think you have to screw up royally to not take home at least $10,000 or more on that show. Especially with the new format where you can quit at anytime and keep half your winnings.

I think you're right about them doing away with the fastest finger thing... to be honest, I haven't watched Millionaire for many years except a few youtube clips here and there...

I don't really mind the low overall purses on Jeopardy, though. It makes the dominant champions, like Ken Jennings, all the more special when they do come along. The show probably would be a bit more exciting wtih larger purses, but there's something familiar and comforting about Jeopardy's current format that I wouldn't want changed. For me, winning or dominating on Jeopardy is less about the prize money and more about the bragging rights of have a well rounded knowledge base that you can quickly access.
XMonkey
lacks enthusiasm.
(06-25-2012, 05:44 AM)
I don't know how you do it, Dookkake. Usually the first reply, too.
Recarpo
(06-25-2012, 05:48 AM)
71? Man he looks good for a 71 year old guy. Glad he's okay, too. Jeopardy just wouldn't be the same without him.
DeathbyVolcano
Banned
(06-25-2012, 05:54 AM)
Wow, the first Dookakke pun I've laughed to...ever.

You win this time, douchenozzle.
blame space
junior junior member
(06-25-2012, 05:55 AM)
he's probably the best gameshow host of all time. thread title made my heart skip a beat.
DeathbyVolcano
Banned
(06-25-2012, 05:57 AM)

Originally Posted by blame space

he's probably the best gameshow host of all time. thread title made my heart skip a beat.

You forget Bob Barker you monster