• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(07-04-2012, 07:24 AM)
Dusk Golem's Avatar
I don't mind people not liking it and can understand, but there's some complaints I just am not seeing that have come up.

People are saying there's barely any interactivity, but I don't think that's it at all. In Leon's demo, that's definitely not very interactive and I really don't like the walking section that much. I feel it's a bad area to base a demo off of to as you spend most of it walking slowly, and I hate how they control your speed at that part of the game. Complaints about that are completely legit.

But the rest of the demo was very interactive, I would argue this is actually the most interactive Resident Evil game. Chris's scenario, beside the one small segment where you press the X button as Chris to cross a pipe, is completely controllable. You have a larger array of things to do, and can interact with a lot of the environment. They even have tiny details, and some situation-context actions that really added to details and depth. The characters even interact well with their surroundings, like I found running into a chain gate as Chris caused him to grab it to stop himself. I feel a lot of the issues with people have with interactivity are being brought up since the demo's difficulty is set to easy so none of the demos are entirely to challenging.

The enemies ARE NOT bullet sponges, you just haven't found their weakpoints. The enemies take a lot of bullets... If you don't know where you're shooting them. But every enemy has a weakpoint, and most can be quickly killed once you you know where they're weak. An example I will give is that the flying enemies seemed to take FOREVER when I first met them. I was shooting their wings and 'insect heads' but it took a lot of ammo. The secret is not to shoot the flying body, but their undersides. The wings and such sprout from their legs, but their upper body remains dangling from the flying part and shoots you. Shooting the arm with the gun will make it lose it's weapon, and shooting it's head can kill it in one hit with a headshot... Just the head is on the bottom of the creature, not the top. All the enemies have similar weakpoints.

On Chris's scenario, I could try and give advice but I will say I don't find it chaotic. Maybe my surround sound headphones helped me to hear where enemies and bullets were coming from. Maybe I just am more inclined to remain calm in chaotic situation, maybe I picked up on a lot of visual clues, like if I get hit the quick blood spurtle tells me from which direction, see which direction bullets fly from, and typically the enemies were in pretty obvious places. I can't say much on this but I really don't think Chris's scenario was that chaotic. It was a bit, but that's kind of the atmosphere they're trying to give and I didn't feel the gameplay was all that much so.

I agree with the camera being a bit to close when aiming, and screen tearing, as well as I didn't really like Leon's demo and how they controlled you for a lot of it for what to do.

...

I can already tell this is going to be an interesting next few months for me. I seem to be in the audience that actually liked the demo the more I played it since I started actually understanding how the game worked. I can understand where some people are complaining, Other complaints I had similar consents with initially, but I found when I figured stuff out most of my issues were resolved. I'm not sure if I'm just learning it well or my tastes are aligned with the game unsuspectingly. I didn't expect to like this, I still want RE to go horror, but this demo actually was a lot of fun to me once I got used to it. I feel like I'm going to be one of the very few here though that feels that way as everyone seems to be saying these issues, and some issues conflict with each other... Some say it's too easy, others too hard, some say the graphics are great, others terrible, some say it has great lighting and shading, others say it's shading is terrible for a game so dark, some say the controls are too floaty, some say the controls are too tight and clunky...

I feel like I'm the fucking little bear in Goldilocks as I think everything (minus the above mentioned issues) are just right. The controls are actually very responsive and have a lot more depth and control than any previous RE, the AI is greatly improved (was messing around with it earlier), there's a lot of details, I thought the areas were well designed and fun (Leon's scenario excluded), I loved the music, and I actually enjoyed the combat and new mechanics and found the pacing to be pretty good and varied. I don't know what the huge change here is, the people I've been playing with and myself included came to like the game more while playing, but I also don't think so many people are just not taking the time to experiment and get to know the game better...
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 07-04-2012 at 07:32 AM.
beelzebozo
Jealous Bastard
(07-04-2012, 07:24 AM)
beelzebozo's Avatar
you guys have me so pumped to play this!!!!
MiamiWesker
(07-04-2012, 07:32 AM)
MiamiWesker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dusk Golem

I don't know what the huge change here is, the people I've been playing with and myself included came to like the game more while playing, but I also don't think so many people are just not taking the time to experiment and get to know the game better...

Hit it right on the head. This thread is FULL of people playing the demo once and just passing it off. People clearly not even attempting the new actions or to try different ways of playing it. Probably not even trying the other characters.

It took me a good two hours before I it clicked for me, now I can't get enough. Everyone I have showed it to has enjoyed it as well. It is immensely replayable like the RE4/5 demos of before.

The issues are there, if a player cant get passed them its a valid reason. But the gameplay itself is pretty fantastic with loads of potential.
plagiarize
Member
(07-04-2012, 07:35 AM)
plagiarize's Avatar

Originally Posted by MiamiWesker

The issues are there, if a player cant get passed them its a valid reason. But the gameplay itself is pretty fantastic with loads of potential.

that's my take on it. i just hope they fix the camera. that's clearly bothering a LOT of people, myself included.
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(07-04-2012, 07:39 AM)
Dusk Golem's Avatar

Originally Posted by MiamiWesker

Hit it right on the head. This thread is FULL of people playing the demo once and just passing it off. People clearly not even attempting the new actions or to try different ways of playing it. Probably not even trying the other characters.

It took me a good two hours before I it clicked for me, now I can't get enough. Everyone I have showed it to has enjoyed it as well. It is immensely replayable like the RE4/5 demos of before.

The issues are there, if a player cant get passed them its a valid reason. But the gameplay itself is pretty fantastic with loads of potential.

I don't Want to accuse people of that though, cause I obviously don't know how they're playing it. I can just say I do agree that once it clicks, the game is actually really fun. But I also had some similar feelings when I started that some others are having, so I don't disagree with them. There are some huge things that I don't think people want to accept. To be honest, if I was given direction of the Re series what RE6 is on paper is almost the opposite of what I would want it to be.

Despite that though, I find myself actually having al ot of fun with it. 'Clicking' is the perfect word as I initially didn't like it either, but when I tried playing it more I just suddenly had a moment where me and my friend tested a bunch of different stuff, started discovering all this stuff we didn't know, started practicing in all of these different gameplay styles, different moves, different weapons, and it all just started... Clicking. I soon was able to find a style of play I really enjoyed, and was able to find a style for each character. It's hard to explain, but clicking is a good word as when I was trying to play it I was trying to play it like RE4 or RE5 at first, but this is actually a lot different than those titles.

I don't think people who dislike it are wrong, I just get this feeling that a lot of these complaints seem to be because the game simply hasn't clicked with them. There are legit complaints, and different tastes of course, but a lot of these just sound to me like complaints me and my friends had until we started to ease into it.


Originally Posted by plagiarize

that's my take on it. i just hope they fix the camera. that's clearly bothering a LOT of people, myself included.


I'm really hoping they add a camera distance option on the options menu in the final game. The game has a lot of options already, but that one would help SO much. Chris especially, his large body takes up so much of the screen.
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 07-04-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Yoshichan
I've played over 500 hours of DMC2 and consider the game good.
(07-04-2012, 07:41 AM)
Yoshichan's Avatar
Did cvxfreak post his impressions yet?
MiamiWesker
(07-04-2012, 07:44 AM)
MiamiWesker's Avatar
^ Yeah no one is wrong, obviously their opinion is their opinion but I do feel there is a ton of jumping the gun here. Just go back a page and you will see some posts with "I have only tried Leon..." or "I couldn't finish the Chris scenario" people openly saying they aren't getting through the demo.

Granted it is on Capcom to make a product that doesn't piss off the public on initial play. I had some of the same reaction, basically the" this is extremely disorienting, I don't get what is going on, what did I just play" kind.
MiamiWesker
(07-04-2012, 07:46 AM)
MiamiWesker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yoshichan

Did cvxfreak post his impressions yet?

Nope.
feel
Member
(07-04-2012, 07:47 AM)
feel's Avatar
Played through Leon and Chris' campaigns... sigh.. :(

Leon demo is just bad. Terrible camera, uninspired level design, poor visuals, laughable cutscenes/dialogue, jank galore, input lag, mother of all tearing, forced to walk constantly, etc, etc, bah you're just bored and annoyed the whole time thinking of what happened to RE.. it did get a bit more interesting in the last section in the parking lot but of course the demo had to end just there.

Chris campaign, despite the atrociously narrow and zoomed in camera making me lose my bearing every 3 seconds on those samey rooftops at least was still kinda entertaining in a low budget japanese gears clone kinda of way. I liked the shooting with the back against the floor and then rolling around, reminded me of MGS4.

Will buy this eventually on the cheap for PC where it will hopefully run fast and clean and someone out there will probably fix or tweak a bunch of the problems.
BruceLeeRoy
(07-04-2012, 07:50 AM)
BruceLeeRoy's Avatar

Originally Posted by MiamiWesker

Hit it right on the head. This thread is FULL of people playing the demo once and just passing it off. People clearly not even attempting the new actions or to try different ways of playing it. Probably not even trying the other characters.

It took me a good two hours before I it clicked for me, now I can't get enough. Everyone I have showed it to has enjoyed it as well. It is immensely replayable like the RE4/5 demos of before.

The issues are there, if a player cant get passed them its a valid reason. But the gameplay itself is pretty fantastic with loads of potential.

I knew you couldn't be trusted Wesker ;)

Honestly though as a fanatic of RE1-4 I am going to hate this demo and be completely dismissive of it aren't I?
Anth0ny
Member
(07-04-2012, 07:52 AM)
Anth0ny's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yoshichan

Did cvxfreak post his impressions yet?

Originally Posted by cvxfreak

I've played Leon and Chris' scenarios so far. This is going to take a lot of getting used to.

One thing's for sure though, the improvements many people kept demanding in RE5, such as a different control scheme, are proven with RE6 not to necessarily make a better game.



My first play through the Biohazard 4 demo was sublime. No other way to put it. The RE6 demo is hot garbage. No amount of replays fix the controls or make the pacing of Leon's demo any better.
miladesn
Member
(07-04-2012, 08:02 AM)
miladesn's Avatar
-The camera really gives me headaches >_< terrible. The only positive thing I see in controls is melee and how picking up stuff is quick. it's feels so weird. maybe they should have locked the camera to the character's front view like 4 and 5, free camera like this just doesn't work with movement controls here.

- forced slow moving sections in Leon's part, I don't like these, it's like in Gears of War and those radio chatter parts. pushing stick to run is a good thing I guess but I'm not used to it yet, I want to press another button, I think it would feel better for the level designs here, which are very tight corridors.

- I liked the mood of Leon's and Jake's sections but Chris' part was terrible, "alpha bravo charlie, we're under attack help !!!afaagfga we're oscar mike blah blah" everyone is shooting but they don't hit you mostly, that's a good thing I guess. it was bizarre. and lol a the cut-scene. really hated this one, I don't want to play this again.

- Helena Harper is voiced by Laura Bailey, which is bad to me, she has been pretty much in every single game I played this year.

- From the three HUDs, I think Leon's is the best, as in it's least worst, the others, specially Chris' look confusing, you can't tell what's up just by a single quick look, bad design imo.

- Grenades having a throw arc on screen is a good thing. no idea why 5 or 4 didn't have them.

- pushing X repeatedly to move parts was terrible, RE4 had lots of QTEs too but they were actually interesting, this one in Chris' was just.. oh.


I hope they implement more control types in the final game, at least one that feels just like RE5.
Last edited by miladesn; 07-04-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(07-04-2012, 08:25 AM)
Dusk Golem's Avatar
Went through the demo files, found a lot more than I was bargaining for...

MAJOR SPOILERS

First of all, I have a theory that Leon might have some areas in his campaign that are more 'hub' like and explorable. There's some things that when decompiled seem to point to the game having triggers for certain things to happen after an event/over time/after so many visits. The one that excited me the most is that apparently zombies can turn into Crimson Heads.

Other Game Modes:
Mercenaries (already confirmed so no spoiler)
Slayers seems to be back.
There's a new mode titled 'No Hope', but it also might be called 'Last Stand'. They seem to use shared assets and sound similar but are differently named.
There's another new game mode titled 'Siege'.
There's a new mode named 'Ustanak', like the monster but it might also be called 'Agent Predator' as they share the same assets. Maybe one player plays as Ustanak and hunts other players?


Weapons Types:
These are labelled as the categories weapons can go under.
Hand gun
Shot Gun
Sniper Rifle
Assault Rifle
Machine Gun
Magnum
Grenade
Rocket
Bomb
Blade
Blunt
Gatling Gun
Knife
Fire
Unarmed (like Jake's Fist-To-Fist?)
Bowgun

Unlimited ammo also seems to be unlockable again.


CAMPAIGN SPOILER:
Ada seems to have a campaign confirmed. She also apparently has her grappling hook in the game. Either as a clever ploy by Capcom or something else, Ada's partner is named 'HELPER' in the files. However, there are resources for Carla, who is believed to be Ada's clone from what appears to be a legit leak.

Vehicles:
Apparently in the game, we'll pilot:
A Jeep
A Snowmobile
A Harrier


Not that big of a spoiler:
Seems there's a section of the game that involves lasers.

Some locations include A submarine, a train, a plane, and Simmon's base.

Still digging.
Papercuts
fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
(07-04-2012, 08:39 AM)
Papercuts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anth0ny

My first play through the Biohazard 4 demo was sublime. No other way to put it. The RE6 demo is hot garbage. No amount of replays fix the controls or make the pacing of Leon's demo any better.

It definitly has some issues either way. Leon's demo is not a fun slice to play, I find the Chris segment to be hard to follow the actual action(other guy is more fun here tbh), though I do like Jake's.

I messed with the settings a lot and the aiming feels a lot better when it's cranked up. I do wish I could mess with difficulty because right now the melee is fucking crazy powerful.
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(07-04-2012, 08:41 AM)
Dusk Golem's Avatar
THIS IS GOING TO MAKE A LOT OF PEOPLE HAPPY. Apparently in the demo a lot of the game's options are turned off, here's all the options that are in the demos files that will be in the full game

While this is still a demo, I did find some options they didn't include in the demo which apparently are options in the full game. These are things like:
-Controller Vibration
-Aim Move Type (apparently changes something about how you aim when you move)
-Attack Button
-Aim Display Type (APPARENTLY this changes the distance and where the camera is positioned when you aim)
-Switch Type (?)
-Language
-Screen Position
-Friendly Fire
-Join Type
-Data Upload (guess how it uploads data to leaderboards and such?)
-Infinite Ammo
-User Title
-User Emblem
-User Plate
-Unlock Flag (?)
-Skill Points
-Skill Set (apparently they can have four pre-set Skill Sets)
Persona7
Member
(07-04-2012, 08:42 AM)
Persona7's Avatar
Spoilers from above

Crimson heads, awesome
sublimit
Member
(07-04-2012, 08:43 AM)
sublimit's Avatar
Is Capcom developing this 100% themselves or have they outsourced parts of it?
Bayonetta
irresponsible vagina leak
(07-04-2012, 08:46 AM)
Bayonetta's Avatar

Originally Posted by sublimit

Is Capcom developing this 100% themselves or have they outsourced parts of it?

Maybe Slant Six worked there lol
sublimit
Member
(07-04-2012, 08:49 AM)
sublimit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pupi18

Maybe Slant Six worked there lol

I remember hearing Spark Unlimited worked on it but i'm not sure if the rumors have been debunked.
Papercuts
fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
(07-04-2012, 08:51 AM)
Papercuts's Avatar
It'd be a pretty crazy oversight to have an option like the camera distance while aiming not available in the demo if it's real.
The Xtortionist
Member
(07-04-2012, 08:53 AM)
The Xtortionist's Avatar
OK, Jake can fucking Tornado DDT and German Suplex enemies. Sold. Screen tear be damned.
MiamiWesker
(07-04-2012, 08:54 AM)
MiamiWesker's Avatar

Originally Posted by BruceLeeRoy

I knew you couldn't be trusted Wesker ;)

Honestly though as a fanatic of RE1-4 I am going to hate this demo and be completely dismissive of it aren't I?


Did you like RE5? If not maybe the super action wont work for you. Also the crazy camera will be an issue.
benzy
Member
(07-04-2012, 08:55 AM)
benzy's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Xtortionist

OK, Jake can fucking Tornado DDT and German Suplex enemies. Sold. Screen tear be damned.

What are the button presses for these?
The Xtortionist
Member
(07-04-2012, 08:57 AM)
The Xtortionist's Avatar

Originally Posted by benzy

What are the button presses for these?

Tornado DDT: Front melee when enemies is staggered by a headshot. Make sure the enemy is away from any object that would trigger a context-sensitive kill.

German Suplex: Rear melee (might be wrong but I was definitely behind them)
Papercuts
fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
(07-04-2012, 08:57 AM)
Papercuts's Avatar

Originally Posted by benzy

What are the button presses for these?

It depends on the placement of the enemy. One of his triggers when they're on the ground and you're by their legs.

But yeah, Jake is pretty damn awesome. He can do a palm charge and dash into it like Wesker, and also do quick dodges and stuff around enemies.
MiamiWesker
(07-04-2012, 08:57 AM)
MiamiWesker's Avatar

Originally Posted by miladesn

-The camera really gives me headaches >_< terrible. The only positive thing I see in controls is melee and how picking up stuff is quick. it's feels so weird. maybe they should have locked the camera to the character's front view like 4 and 5, free camera like this just doesn't work with movement controls here.


- pushing X repeatedly to move parts was terrible, RE4 had lots of QTEs too but they were actually interesting, this one in Chris' was just.. oh.


I hope they implement more control types in the final game, at least one that feels just like RE5.

Totally agree about the locked camera or a smart camera that does not need to be babysat. Uncharted has a smart camera, you dont have to be moving the right stick all the time.

As for QTEs I dont see how it is any different than mash A button to run from boulder or cut a rope.
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(07-04-2012, 08:58 AM)
Dusk Golem's Avatar

Originally Posted by Papercuts

It'd be a pretty crazy oversight to have an option like the camera distance while aiming not available in the demo if it's real.

I can tell you it's real, I'm just shifting through all the options and there were stored files listed under temporary save data options, it included all of the options we know but had those above on the list as well. It's data to store option variables and those were listed among them though they're not in the demo. Some make sense why they're not here, others less so.

I'm still digging. Right now in a segment about enemies, and I'm trying to understand some of these that seem a bit weird. Two things that are sticking out to me right now are enemies that have a 'BloodLife' counter and seem to be damaged not by what you shoot into them, but literally how much they bleed. There's several blood options here and a blood counter... Kinda weird. There's also a 'Born' enemy type. I'm guessing this is related to the cocoons we've seen in the trailer, but it seems the cocoons have a time to be destroyed or else it triggers Born enemies. This might also just be the J'Avos though when they transform since there is a brief period of time before they transform you can kill them before their health is redefined by the transformation. But I think it's the caccoon, they have strange variables like 'BornLife', which triggers when the 'BornCounter' goes down.

Still digging.
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 07-04-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Bayonetta
irresponsible vagina leak
(07-04-2012, 08:58 AM)
Bayonetta's Avatar

Originally Posted by sublimit

I remember hearing Spark Unlimited worked on it but i'm not sure if the rumors have been debunked.

Oh wow if true I will die laughing. Seriously I played it 3 times and really everything feels off it has nice visuals most of the time (there are some areas where hair might look plastic or some things too blury.

Revelations is more Resident Evil game than this one.
Papercuts
fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
(07-04-2012, 08:59 AM)
Papercuts's Avatar

Originally Posted by MiamiWesker

Totally agree about the locked camera or a smart camera that does not need to be babysat. Uncharted has a smart camera, you dont have to be moving the right stick all the time.

As for QTEs I dont see how it is any different than mash A button to run from boulder or cut a rope.

The oddity with the Chris one is he seems to go the same speed no matter how fast you hit X.


Originally Posted by Dusk Golem

I can tell you it's real, I'm just shifting through all the options and there were stored files listed under temporary save data options, it included all of the options we know but had those above on the list as well. It's data to store option variables and those were listed among them though they're not in the demo. Some make sense why they're not here, others less so.

I'm still digging. Right now in a segment about enemies, and I'm trying to understand some of these that seem a bit weird. Two things that are sticking out to me right now are enemies that have a 'BloodLife' counter and seem to be damaged not by what you shoot into them, but literally how much they bleed. There's several blood options here and a blood counter... Kinda weird. There's also a 'Born' enemy type. I'm guessing this is related to the cocoons, but it seems the cocoons have a time to be destroyed or else it triggers Born enemies.

Still digging.

Are you sure it actually means the aiming camera distance and not the Reticule vs. Laser?
MiamiWesker
(07-04-2012, 08:59 AM)
MiamiWesker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Papercuts

It depends on the placement of the enemy. One of his triggers when they're on the ground and you're by their legs.

But yeah, Jake is pretty damn awesome. He can do a palm charge and dash into it like Wesker, and also do quick dodges and stuff around enemies.


Quick dodging around Ustanak is so much fun while meleeing him.
The Xtortionist
Member
(07-04-2012, 09:01 AM)
The Xtortionist's Avatar

Originally Posted by MiamiWesker

Quick dodging around Ustanak is so much fun while meleeing him.

How do you quick dodge?
MiamiWesker
(07-04-2012, 09:02 AM)
MiamiWesker's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Xtortionist

How do you quick dodge?

Do the left stick plus a plus LT when up close to an enemy and he simply circles the enemy rather than dive to the floor.
The Xtortionist
Member
(07-04-2012, 09:02 AM)
The Xtortionist's Avatar

Originally Posted by MiamiWesker

Do the left stick plus a plus LT when up close to an enemy and he simply circles the enemy rather than dive to the floor.

0_0 holy fuck you can do a lot in this game

Definitely warming up to this, technical issues aside. It's not Resident Evil but it's not Gears of War either. There's so many cool facets to the gameplay like melee stuff, diving to the ground, quick dodging, sliding while running, etc... Feels like a more rounded action game than just a straight shooter. I bet you'll see crazy shit like melee-only runs with Jake in the full game.
Last edited by The Xtortionist; 07-04-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(07-04-2012, 09:03 AM)
Dusk Golem's Avatar

Originally Posted by Papercuts

Are you sure it actually means the aiming camera distance and not the Reticule vs. Laser?

I know 100% it's not the reticle vs laser as that's also an option among them. It's fairly easy to follow the options since they all are titled exactly as they are on the menu, so the aiming reticle is titled 'AIMING RETICLE'. This one is labelled 'AIM DISPLAY TYPE' and messing with it, it's related to the position of the camera to the X, Y, and Z axis of the character.
Papercuts
fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
(07-04-2012, 09:07 AM)
Papercuts's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Xtortionist

How do you quick dodge?

LT + left/right + A, goes to the sides of enemies.

LT + RT + left/right + A for a side roll.

LT + RT + back + A for a back spring.

Originally Posted by Dusk Golem

I know 100% it's not the reticle vs laser as that's also an option among them. It's fairly easy to follow the options since they all are titled exactly as they are on the menu, so the aiming reticle is titled 'AIMING RETICLE'. This one is labelled 'AIM DISPLAY TYPE' and messing with it, it's related to the position of the camera to the X, Y, and Z axis of the character.

That's really nice to hear, then.
The Xtortionist
Member
(07-04-2012, 09:10 AM)
The Xtortionist's Avatar

Originally Posted by Papercuts

LT + left/right + A, goes to the sides of enemies.

LT + RT + left/right + A for a side roll.

LT + RT + back + A for a back spring.

That's more than I thought. Gonna go try these out.
Papercuts
fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
(07-04-2012, 09:13 AM)
Papercuts's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Xtortionist

That's more than I thought. Gonna go try these out.

If you don't know already LT + RT is a charge palm thrust, it locks on to people and you can run at them. Also can do it out of cover.

Basically fuck guns.
cvxfreak
HOLY FUCKING CRAP
(07-04-2012, 09:13 AM)
cvxfreak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rez

no, this isn't on "the fans". this shit-sundae they've cooked up is when design a game by committee rather than because you actually understand why it is you're making those decisions. Strip away the big budget visuals and this would feel utterly mediocre.

If you, as a developer, look at a bullet-point list and decide to just tick them all without any understanding of what the resultant product will be, that's just... depressing.

Like I said earlier in the thread, this demo feels like it was designed by an AI.

Where do you think the Capcom committee got most of its ideas from?
WickedLaharl
Member
(07-04-2012, 09:18 AM)
WickedLaharl's Avatar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpsNpN-eFTo

performance analysis and oh my god is that tearing insane
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(07-04-2012, 09:18 AM)
Dusk Golem's Avatar

Originally Posted by Papercuts

That's really nice to hear, then.

The options were really easy to understand, some of this other stuff is a lot more difficult. I think I finally cracked what the Born Counter is for though. This is enemy data for some stage in the game, no idea what stage but we have three enemies listed here for the stage; Zombies, Crows, and Sanagi. Earlier I didn't know what the heck a Sanagi was, but due to digging into terms with the similar word Sanagi I found they were triggered by values that makes Zombie die, and then rise again, ala Crimson Heads. They aren't called Crimson Heads though, apparently their name is Sanagi. I just went further into the Born Counters, and found they're related to the Sanagi which means they aren't for the cocoons like I first believed but are the counter for the zombies to fall and then be reborn as Sanagi. While they aren't literally Crimson Heads, they seem to be born in the same way at least. Kill a zombie, a counter sets titled the 'BornCounter', and then they are 'born as Sanagi.
Papercuts
fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
(07-04-2012, 09:20 AM)
Papercuts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dusk Golem

The options were really easy to understand, some of this other stuff is a lot more difficult. I think I finally cracked what the Born Counter is for though. This is enemy data for some stage in the game, no idea what stage but we have three enemies listed here for the stage; Zombies, Crows, and Sanagi. Earlier I didn't know what the heck a Sanagi was, but due to digging into terms with the similar word Sanagi I found they were triggered by values that makes Zombie die, and then rise again, ala Crimson Heads. They aren't called Crimson Heads though, apparently their name is Sanagi. I just went further into the Born Counters, and found they're related to the Sanagi which means they aren't for the cocoons like I first believed but are the counter for the zombies to fall and then be reborn as Sanagi. While they aren't literally Crimson Heads, they seem to be born in the same way at least. Kill a zombie, a counter sets titled the 'BornCounter', and then they are 'born as Sanagi.

Are "zombies" only in Leon's campaign? I can't really tell wtf chris and jake are fighting.
RedSwirl
Junior Member
(07-04-2012, 09:22 AM)
RedSwirl's Avatar
I'll also say this: what we saw of Leon's game would've been the perfect opportunity for some classic-style RE. When he said "power's out" I thought that was the perfect setup for some exploration and puzzle-solving trying to get it back on and find that guy's daughter. But noooo!
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(07-04-2012, 09:25 AM)
Dusk Golem's Avatar

Originally Posted by Papercuts

Are "zombies" only in Leon's campaign? I can't really tell wtf chris and jake are fighting.

I don't know if they're just in Leon's campaign, but the enemies that Chris and Jake are fighting are called J'Avos. Both are products of the C-Virus, but the exact details aren't known. Obviously J'Avos are a lot like Plagas, but then the Zombies also from the C-Virus are more like... Zombies, so there's obviously some story to why they act differently. I'm guessing it's a difference between accidental exposure and BOWs, and in Leon's campaign there seems to be some gas that's turning people into zombies. And apparently animals too, as we've seen a dog attack Leon in the trailer and while still a lot to go through, Crows are listed as enemies in whatever stage I'm looking at. To be honest, since a of of the flags and values and such had code names or numbers for names, I thought it was going to be a lot harder than this stage listing enemies as 'ZOMBIE', 'CROW', and 'SANAGI'
miladesn
Member
(07-04-2012, 09:28 AM)
miladesn's Avatar
played as Sherry; shooting blue medallions is there.

Is AI able to revive you when you get hit and crawling on the ground? I always die when that happens.
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(07-04-2012, 09:29 AM)
Dusk Golem's Avatar

Originally Posted by miladesn

played as Sherry; shooting blue medallions is there.

Is AI able to revive you when you get hit and crawling on the ground? I always die when that happens.

They can revive you, but have to get you either before your red meter fills up or before another enemy hits you. Mind you can also shoot while on the ground.
earvcunanan
Member
(07-04-2012, 09:29 AM)
earvcunanan's Avatar

Originally Posted by miladesn

played as Sherry; shooting blue medallions is there.

Is AI able to revive you when you get hit and crawling on the ground? I always die when that happens.

The AI has never revived me. Dumb as bricks when it comes to that.
miladesn
Member
(07-04-2012, 09:34 AM)
miladesn's Avatar
Aiming is bugged, sometimes it changes to cross-hair in the middle of the game and then goes back to laser. and in Leon's when you get out of the first room and going down stairs, with lasers on, look at the ground and see what happens :P . (Laser points forward instead of the ground, pretty funny)
Last edited by miladesn; 07-04-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Carbonox
Member
(07-04-2012, 09:47 AM)
Carbonox's Avatar
Thanks Dusk Golem. Even more excited for the final product after reading those spoiler tagged details. Plus the immense list of options. If you can really control the camera's distance to the player when aiming, that is fucking brilliant.
a Master Ninja
for whom the Bell trolls
(07-04-2012, 09:54 AM)
a Master Ninja's Avatar
Capcom needs to play more Dead Space 2 and make the camera behave exactly like it does in that game. The moments when the game takes away some control to zoom the camera in or force my character to walk slowly just feel awkward.

Also Leon is way too startled by lightning. I like the idea of what they are trying to do but they need to be more subtle about it.

Thread Tools