• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

crimsonheadGCN
Member
(07-03-2012, 05:54 AM)
crimsonheadGCN's Avatar
Update:

Debut Trailer: http://youtu.be/PmNN0210fTc

Original:

Well, it seems like Activision and Tencent Games will be announcing a new Call of Duty tomorrow. It is called Call of Duty Online and it will specifically be targeted at the Asian market. Tencent Games will be the Chinese publisher.

http://www.mmoculture.com/2012/06/ca...publisher.html

Here is the teaser website:

http://omg.qq.com/

And Activision has registered a number of different websites in prepartion:

anheixingdong.com
anheixingdong.net
blackopschina.com
blackopschina.net
blackopsonline.net
bochina.net
callofdutychina.com
callofdutychina.net
heisexingdong.com
heisexingdong.net
jueshengshike.com
jueshengshike.net
modernwarfarechina.com
modernwarfarechina.net
modernwarfareonline.net
xiandaizhanzheng.com
xiandaizhanzheng.net

http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/28/mult...by-activision/
Last edited by crimsonheadGCN; 07-03-2012 at 04:46 PM.
EmCeeGramr
i must be the devil. why else would god be trying to kill me right now
(07-03-2012, 05:55 AM)
EmCeeGramr's Avatar
Activision striking while the iron's hot on the F2P Asian FPS market.
Iacobellis
Junior Member
(07-03-2012, 05:55 AM)
Iacobellis's Avatar
Yeah, let's focus on a smaller market. Does Declassified even exist?
Fancy Corndog
Member
(07-03-2012, 05:55 AM)
Fancy Corndog's Avatar
I wonder what they're doing exactly to target the Asian market with this. As in, what makes it not targeted towards a Western audience?
Last edited by Fancy Corndog; 07-03-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Class_A_Ninja
Member
(07-03-2012, 05:56 AM)
Class_A_Ninja's Avatar
Hie sexing dong
Megasoum
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:00 AM)
Megasoum's Avatar
Wait...the website is "OMG QQ"?? really? lol
AgentChris
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:02 AM)
AgentChris's Avatar
Iacobellis
Junior Member
(07-03-2012, 06:03 AM)
Iacobellis's Avatar

Originally Posted by AgentChris

What else are you going to do when the Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero cows have passed away?
Gez
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:04 AM)
Gez's Avatar

Originally Posted by AgentChris

TROLL!

You're right though.
a Master Ninja
for whom the Bell trolls
(07-03-2012, 06:07 AM)
a Master Ninja's Avatar
So how does this make money? Are you buying weapons and perks?
Truth101
Banned
(07-03-2012, 06:07 AM)
Truth101's Avatar

Originally Posted by Iacobellis

Yeah, let's focus on a smaller market. Does Declassified even exist?

Umm... China is a huge market.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(07-03-2012, 06:07 AM)
Takao's Avatar

Originally Posted by Megasoum

Wait...the website is "OMG QQ"?? really? lol

I was gonna say.
Deadly Joker
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:08 AM)
Deadly Joker's Avatar
CFMOORE!
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:08 AM)
CFMOORE!'s Avatar

Originally Posted by a Master Ninja

So how does this make money? Are you buying weapons and perks?

precisely
Kazerei
(07-03-2012, 06:08 AM)
Kazerei's Avatar

Originally Posted by Megasoum

Wait...the website is "OMG QQ"?? really? lol

Heh. QQ is a social media website that is absolutely massive in China. It's #8 on the Alexa rankings, just above Twitter at #9.

I'm not really sure what the "omg" subdomain stands for.

Edit: oh wait, it seems QQ.com is more of a portal like Yahoo. I assumed it was social media 'cause I remember my cousin from Hong Kong using the QQ instant messaging program, but that's a bit different.
Last edited by Kazerei; 07-03-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Iacobellis
Junior Member
(07-03-2012, 06:09 AM)
Iacobellis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Truth101

Umm... China is a huge market.

Video games are banned in China, aren't they?
Valnen
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:09 AM)
Valnen's Avatar
I certainly hope this wasn't Titan...

I know Titan will be way better than something like this.
Truth101
Banned
(07-03-2012, 06:09 AM)
Truth101's Avatar

Originally Posted by Takao

I was gonna say.

Man I remember using QQ a lot when I played Chinese mmos . Memories.

Originally Posted by Iacobellis

Video games are banned in China, aren't they?

What? lol
Seraphis Cain
bad gameplay lol
(07-03-2012, 06:11 AM)
Seraphis Cain's Avatar
Hei Sexing Dong is the best URL ever.
Gorillaz
sober as a drunk judge
(07-03-2012, 06:12 AM)
Gorillaz's Avatar
Just imagine the marketing for this lol.
Vormund
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:12 AM)
Vormund's Avatar
I wouldn't be surprised if the weapons on the Chinese side are overpowered.

US or any other western nation probably just have to shoot with slingshots.

I kid.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(07-03-2012, 06:13 AM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Class_A_Ninja

Hie sexing dong

Indeed
crimsonheadGCN
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:13 AM)
crimsonheadGCN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Iacobellis

Video games are banned in China, aren't they?

No, they are not. It's a pretty big market for free to play titles and MMOs.
Iacobellis
Junior Member
(07-03-2012, 06:13 AM)
Iacobellis's Avatar

Originally Posted by crimsonheadGCN

No, they are not. It's a pretty big market for free to play titles and MMOs.

What? So why was there a special console being made for the country?
Mechazawa
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:13 AM)
Mechazawa's Avatar

Originally Posted by a Master Ninja

So how does this make money? Are you buying weapons and perks?

I believe that's how Counter Strike Online works. Ghost Recon Online definitely uses that model.
Squidofman
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:13 AM)
Squidofman's Avatar
We've known about this game for years.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(07-03-2012, 06:14 AM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Iacobellis

Video games are banned in China, aren't they?

http://www.zdnet.com/china-online-ga...nt-2062304332/

Originally Posted by ZDNet

China's online games market is expected to exceed US$9.2 billion by 2014 from US$6.6 billion last year, with microclient version of games emerging as a trend and the number of casual gamers growing across the region, research firms say.

In a study released Wednesday, Pearl Research noted that the growth in online games which include MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game), casual, social and Web games, grew 32 percent last year. It pointed to strong revenue showing by Chinese game operators, where the top 5 companies made a combined US$5.3 billion in revenues. The list was led by Tencent at US$2.5 billion, Netease at US$1 billion, Shanda Games at US$838 million, Changyou at US$485 million, and Perfect World at US$474 million.

crimsonheadGCN
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:16 AM)
crimsonheadGCN's Avatar
nvm.
Iacobellis
Junior Member
(07-03-2012, 06:18 AM)
Iacobellis's Avatar

Originally Posted by crimsonheadGCN

Because China has high piracy rates and Nintendo tried to circumvent that by using a system that required the owner to download games.

I feel so misinformed now. I thought the mainstream consoles were banned for some reason. My bad.

EDIT: What reason was it for, then?
Last edited by Iacobellis; 07-03-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Fancy Corndog
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:18 AM)
Fancy Corndog's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

http://www.zdnet.com/china-online-ga...nt-2062304332/

How does that (7b-9b) compare to U.S., Europe, Japan?
canvee
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:18 AM)
Is the Call of Duty brand even well-known in China?
blame space
Member with a nice beard and a broken TV
(07-03-2012, 06:18 AM)
blame space's Avatar
i hope it has XP
Jaded Alyx
(07-03-2012, 06:19 AM)
Jaded Alyx's Avatar

Originally Posted by canvee

Is the Call of Duty brand even well-known in China?

Why wouldn't it be?
Fracas
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:21 AM)
Fracas's Avatar
So this isn't available in the States? I'm confused.
crimsonheadGCN
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:21 AM)
crimsonheadGCN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Iacobellis

I feel so misinformed now. I thought the mainstream consoles were banned for some reason. My bad.

EDIT: What reason was it for, then?

Well, I might have been partially wrong. There seems to be some sort of console ban in China, but that ban does not prevent Chinese gamers from playing games on the PC, which is the dominate platform in China. The video game market is very strong in China.

There has been console releases though. Nintendo made the iQue Player which was a modified N64 that prevented piracy by having the owner download games and Lenovo made a console last year for the Chinese market. Then there are those knock-off consoles which I assume get released in China.

Originally Posted by monsterfracas

So this isn't available in the States? I'm confused.

No, it will not be available in the North America or Europe. It's specifically designed for the Asian market.
Last edited by crimsonheadGCN; 07-03-2012 at 06:31 AM.
789shadow
Banned
(07-03-2012, 06:22 AM)
789shadow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jaded Alyx

Why wouldn't it be?

Because it's China, a counterfeit called Call of Honor or something is probably selling billions there.
blame space
Member with a nice beard and a broken TV
(07-03-2012, 06:24 AM)
blame space's Avatar
"Speak to Honor"
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(07-03-2012, 06:25 AM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fancy Corndog

How does that (7b-9b) compare to U.S., Europe, Japan?

Well, here was what I could find.

Japan: $5.9 billion - http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/05/jap...e-market-2011/
US (physical only? the article contradicts itself): $17 billion - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...11-fell-281266
Europe: I'm not having much luck here
TheSeks
Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
(07-03-2012, 06:26 AM)
TheSeks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Class_A_Ninja

Hie sexing dong

So I'm not the only one to read it like that, I'm glad.

Maybe if the F2P CoD is good and like TF2, maybe EA will come around and change up BF2: Play 4 Free and make it like BF2... no they won't. ;___;
HP_Wuvcraft
(07-03-2012, 06:27 AM)
HP_Wuvcraft's Avatar

Originally Posted by AgentChris

Do you know how much CoD Online would sell?

It's fucking the best selling franchise ever.

Online.
Fancy Corndog
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:28 AM)
Fancy Corndog's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Well, here was what I could find.

Japan: $5.9 billion - http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/05/jap...e-market-2011/
US (physical only? the article contradicts itself): $17 billion - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...11-fell-281266
Europe: I'm not having much luck here

Ah ok, that's plenty good enough thanks. I had no idea but figured it was common knowledge.


Originally Posted by crimsonheadGCN

It's specifically designed for the Asian market.

How so, and also why?

All I can think is that maybe because releasing an MMO would only cut into their annual releases, but since China is big on piracy it makes more sense to do F2P stuff there?

I get this feeling like Activision is telling me I can't have Call of Duty Online because I'm going to buy Call of Duty 11, Call of Duty 12, Call of Duty 13, and Call of Duty 14 and I'm going to like it.
Last edited by Fancy Corndog; 07-03-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Forkball
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:30 AM)
Forkball's Avatar
Finally, Call of Duty goes online.
canvee
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Jaded Alyx

Why wouldn't it be?

Because it is a series that is extremely popular on consoles, on the other hand, consoles are not very popular China. I am aware that COD is available on PC through legal and illegal means. I am simply interested in how popular a western-orientated title such as COD is in China.
Last edited by canvee; 07-03-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: grammar
Iacobellis
Junior Member
(07-03-2012, 06:31 AM)
Iacobellis's Avatar

Originally Posted by crimsonheadGCN

Well, I might have been wrong about it. There seems to be some sort of console ban in China for the last 10 years, but that ban does not prevent Chinese users from playing games on the PC, which is the dominate platform in China. The video game market is very strong in China.

There has been console releases though. Nintendo made the iQue Player which was a modified N64 that prevented piracy by having the owner download games and Lenovo made a console last year for the Chinese market. Then there are those knock-off consoles which I assume get released in China.



No, it will not be available in the North America or Europe. It's specifically designed for the Asian market.

Oh, dumb me was thinking this was a console game. I knew PC gaming was very dominant in China, but I can't see something like Call of Duty making quite a huge dent. Aren't RPGs the goto game genre there?
Shalashaska161
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:32 AM)
Shalashaska161's Avatar
Smart move really. Gotta crack that Asian market somehow. Though I have to wonder if the CoD brand will have much pull over there.
kittens
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:32 AM)
kittens's Avatar
Huh, interesting.
Syphon Filter
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:34 AM)
Syphon Filter's Avatar

Originally Posted by HP_Wuvcraft

Do you know how much CoD Online would sell?

It's fucking the best selling franchise ever.

Online.

no, its not the best selling franchise ever.
Matt
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:35 AM)
Matt's Avatar

Originally Posted by HP_Wuvcraft

It's fucking the best selling franchise ever.

Well, that's not true.
ThatCrazyGuy
Member
(07-03-2012, 06:41 AM)
ThatCrazyGuy's Avatar
Does the china market like the fps genre like that?
Iacobellis
Junior Member
(07-03-2012, 06:51 AM)
Iacobellis's Avatar
I'm not trying to make myself sound conceited in any way, but I suspect this is fake only for the reason that the timer isn't synced with the clock on my computer. I have it set automatically using an online server, but hey, my computer could be incorrect.

Thread Tools