• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - mandatory 8GB install for MP

dc89

"At a minimum, you'll need at least an 8GB USB Flash Drive or an Xbox 360 Hard Drive to play Multiplayer mode in Halo 4," reads the official Xbox.com product page (via OXM). "For an optimal experience playing with an Xbox 360 Hard Drive is highly recommended."

It's possible that the recently revealed Spartan Ops campaign, which will eventually feature 12 "incremental" hours across 50 missions, will increase required HDD space even further.

Yesterday Microsoft released a teaser trailer for its live action Halo web series.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/356374/halo-4-multiplayer-will-require-8gb-install/

Dabanton

Damm.

I don't mind installing as I have lots of room on my HD but for people rocking smaller HD's or none at all.

'lulz' all round.

FyreWulff

Probably because of Spartan Ops, that is A LOT of content.

Are they considering Spartan Ops to be multiplayer?

Honestly just sounds like they're going to require DLC extensively and are therefore have a minimum amount of space: we already know Halo 4 is going to have 3 map packs. The highest size of a DLC content pack is 2GB on the 360.

3 x 2GB = 6GB

Leaves them 2GB for a fourth pack.

edit: not saying that every DLC pack is going to be 2GB, but it's easy to see how they arrived at the number, for that theory

edit: oh, and another theory we had over in HaloGAF is that 8GB is roughly the amount of data you'd see on a 360 DVD9, so it's possible that Multiplayer comes on a second disc and must be installed ala Forza.

Woorloog

Banned
All over my 250GB harddrive.

Indeed.

I guess this means even experience for everyone, loading times will be the same. But this is going to be very shitty for those who don't have enough space or large enough HDD...

EDIT also, this is "mandatory" install, Spartan Ops is free weekly DLC so it'll require even more space.. I guess.

wwm0nkey

Are they considering Spartan Ops to be multiplayer?

Honestly just sounds like they're going to require DLC extensively and are therefore have a minimum amount of space: we already know Halo 4 is going to have 3 map packs. The highest size of a DLC content pack is 2GB on the 360.

3 x 2GB = 6GB

edit: not saying that every DLC pack is going to be 2GB, but it's easy to see how they arrived at the number

If its not for Spartan Ops then I guess we are going to be downloading Infinity MP (with 10 maps 8 gigs makes sense actually), which means the Halo 4 disc is full of singleplayer goodness.

3 x 2GB = 6GB

It doesn't say that the install will require 8 GB, it says that you'll need at least an 8 gig stick. So it's bigger than 4 GB, but we don't how big exactly.

FyreWulff

If its not for Spartan Ops then I guess we are going to be downloading Infinity MP (with 10 maps 8 gigs makes sense actually), which means the Halo 4 disc is full of singleplayer goodness.

yeah i edited the original theory in there of the second install disc

As someone still aboard that 20 GB boat, this is just turrible.

I've been fighting for space for years now, but I think this is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I guess it's time to get a 250GB.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What the fuck. No way will my 20 GB be able to foot this.

Fuck this shit. WTF?! I am mad and not buying an overpriced MS hard drive.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Is this worded similar to Reach requiring a HDD for co-op? Since that also didn't work on 4gb consoles. Although I don't think it worked with 8gb sticks either, it simply needed an actual hard disk.

amardilo

With the amount of XBLA and DLC I've bought over the years my 320GB HDD is down to 20GB of free space.

Looks like by the time this comes out I'm going to have to delete some more stuff or hope MS release an even bigger HDD.

Dereck

I don't mind since I don't have a lot installed on my HDD at any given time besides a few demos. Conserving with the 60GB.

Sean

Banned
poor 4gb xbox consoles

They got screwed with Reach too. Halo: Reach Online Co-op Unplayable On 4GB Xbox 360s

halo-reach-4gb_1284585416.jpg

Sucks for those guys but I would guess the vast majority of people who play online multiplayer and subscribe to XBL Gold would have hard drives.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
1GB left on my 20GB HDD.

How big is the Reach install? I guess if it's roughly that size....replace one game with the other.

That's what I do with my 20gbs, too. I install the game I'm currently playing a lot then delete it once I start up a new game.

They got screwed with Reach too. Halo: Reach Online Co-op Unplayable On 4GB Xbox 360s

halo-reach-4gb_1284585416.jpg

Sucks for those guys but I would guess the vast majority of people who play online multiplayer and subscribe to XBL Gold would have hard drives.

Bungie was just saving them from the terrible online Co-Op netcode.

Shurs

They should include an 8GB memory card with the data pre-installed along with new copies of the game.

JNT

I don't mind since I got a 250 GB HDD a while back, but the price tag of a HDD for the 360 might scare off a number of people from Halo 4 multiplayer. Still not sure if that's a good thing.

Mush

Are you fucking kidding me? I still have my old 20GB drive that my friend gave me when I first got my Arcade.

Bollocks!

Shadybiz

That's pretty crappy that it's mandatory. My 360 recently red-ringed, so I went for broke and got the 250GB model....silver lining to everything, I guess.

Shurs

Let's not be unreasonable. Did PS2 games come with free memory cards?

Come on, man. Every PS2 game required a memory card, if every Xbox 360 game required a memory card to play online multiplayer, I could see how your comparison would make sense.

You don't find it unfortunate that a percentage of the people purchasing Halo 4 won't be able to play its online multiplayer without having to go out and get a memory card?

Top Bottom