• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi U pics + footage

ugoo18

watershed

Banned
So say this game ends up being a Red Steel level disappointment, what do you think is going to be its major flaw? The gamepad integration looks great, the graphics are good enough, and the hook is interesting. I think the flaw will be in the campaign/plot itself. We don't really know what the point of the game is besides surviving as long as you can. It may end up being just "survive until you die".

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
So say this game ends up being a Red Steel level disappointment, what do you think is going to be its major flaw? The gamepad integration looks great, the graphics are good enough, and the hook is interesting. I think the flaw will be in the campaign/plot itself. We don't really know what the point of the game is besides surviving as long as you can. It may end up being just "survive until you die".

yeah, campaign/lenght is pretty much the only thing that still concerns me but probably because lack of news. I can't find anything to say against this title yet from what its been shown so far

I just hope there's plenty of variety in the game. I don't want to be bothered upgrading skills if they're not really that important or very few skills.

Kinda my concern. Unless the story is expansive in some way, it'll be it's let down I reckon.
I'd like to see the different characters cross paths.

I, too, am concerned the game will become incredibly repetitious because, so far, the only goal seems to be survival. But like you said, we barely know anything about the game.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
hopefully it will be open for DLC to expand the experience if it is successful.

hopefully it will be open for DLC to expand the experience if it is successful.

There isn't going to be an 'if' imo. Not only is it going to sell a shitload it's also going to be a system seller. Even if it's lumbered with the pitiful 5 or 6 hour single player campaign that has plagued titles this gen it's still going to be a success.

And I think that the online component is going to be a Horde Mode protecting a safehouse from attacking zombies, I remember the blurb released by Ubisoft mentioning it when the game was first announced. Not too sure how that would work tbh, co-op I guess although I'm not too keen on co-op myself...I don't play well with others lol. Mind you, the prospect of shooting my co-op partner so that the zombie hordes are slowed down whilst they eat him or her does appeal to me lol.

If they do have a Horde Mode it would certainly carry on with the survival aspects of the single player campaign, a time limit perhaps..? Could be pretty intense, all other Horde Modes give you plenty of ammo and loads of enemies to face but if it has scarce ammo with less enemies it could have us all crapping ourselves at times lol.

We don't really know what the point of the game is besides surviving as long as you can. It may end up being just "survive until you die".
Well, the game has an ending, so that is one less thing to worry about. The story may suck, but I don't even think we have had a zombie game with a good story yet. Do long as they know it sucks and doesn't force feed it to us, it will make it decent. You know, game starts out with the main character, he says "I've gotta get out of here.", then gameplay lol

I know about how the local multiplayer will work, but have there been any hints of online multiplayer in this game, something like Left 4 Dead?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't really care about a story- I just want a substantial and varied campaign, especially if there is no online multiplayer as seems to most likely be the case.

Gummb

There isn't going to be an 'if' imo. Not only is it going to sell a shitload it's also going to be a system seller. Even if it's lumbered with the pitiful 5 or 6 hour single player campaign that has plagued titles this gen it's still going to be a success.

And I think that the online component is going to be a Horde Mode protecting a safehouse from attacking zombies, I remember the blurb released by Ubisoft mentioning it when the game was first announced. Not too sure how that would work tbh, co-op I guess although I'm not too keen on co-op myself...I don't play well with others lol. Mind you, the prospect of shooting my co-op partner so that the zombie hordes are slowed down whilst they eat him or her does appeal to me lol.

If they do have a Horde Mode it would certainly carry on with the survival aspects of the single player campaign, a time limit perhaps..? Could be pretty intense, all other Horde Modes give you plenty of ammo and loads of enemies to face but if it has scarce ammo with less enemies it could have us all crapping ourselves at times lol.

I like your optimism. What makes you so sure it will be a success? I define success as "a level of profitability that convinces Ubisoft to continue developing M-rated titles for the Wii U and porting PS460 titles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I like your optimism. What makes you so sure it will be a success? I define success as "a level of profitability that convinces Ubisoft to continue developing M-rated titles for the Wii U and porting PS460 titles.

I think it will do well. It is going to be essentially the only unique mature experience on the Wii U when it launches, you know Ubi and Nintendo will push it, and it has zombies.

beast786

Did not see anything special at all about the game. Its a typical zombie game with graphics of modern gen.

But, I have only seen one demo and video. But, nothing screams buy.

I think Nintendo should really use ZombiU for their hardcore title at launch. Advertise it and give it plenty of spotlight. I'm hoping Nintendo still has a bunch left to show us but even then, this really has caught the attention of people who weren't interested in the Wii U before the Comic Con footage. I'm hoping that they do have online though, it would really do good to show everyone that Nintendo is now online ready.

PetrCobra

Launch games are always in the best position to become a success. Look at the first Red Steel. It didn't have many positive reviews, it was a new franchise, and still it sold quite well.

I think it will do well. It is going to be essentially the only unique mature experience on the Wii U when it launches, you know Ubi and Nintendo will push it, and it has zombies.

Especially if they pull a Halloween launch. It could run into trouble with RE6 coming out so soon afterwords, but launch sales should mean it does fine.

Jarsonot

I've been thinking that Retro is maybe doing a mature title for Wii U, and have been wondering why Nintendo has been so mum on the subject.

It occurred to me that maybe they're not unveiling it in order to give this a better shot, let it be the major "Mature" title for launch.

Maybe?

Gummb

there's a hands on of all major WiiU games at http://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/nintendo-wii-u-impressions-nintendo-enthusiast/, including ZombiU

Each one of those games looks so good, especially ZombiU. >_0

I'm glad everyone thinks the game will do well, but I hope it does better than Red Steel. The 1 million sales should have been 5 million if the game had nailed the swordplay/if Wii Motion+ had been intergal to the experience (that is, if it had been in the original wiimote).

beast786

Can you tell me another zombie game this plays similar to, other than the original Zombi?

The video shows a FPS and shooting zombies in a corridor shooter single pathway.Also, I never played the original zombi. Again, my comment was just form the video I saw.

Hero

From the little titbits I've heard about it, DayZ maybe.

The video shows a FPS and shooting zombies in a corridor shooter single pathway.Also, I never played the original zombi. Again, my comment was just form the video I saw.

fps zombie game? so many

I guess if you wanted to boil away all the actual gameplay elements to "FPS game with zombie enemies" then someone would feel that way.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
fps zombie game? so many

"First person, shoot zombies" is a sweeping generalisation. I can't think of many zombie games that offer a semi persistent explorable environment, heavily focused on survival, where checkpoints and save data are made relatively obsolete in favour of multiple random, playable survivors. Where death simply has you spawn at a random location as an entirely new character, not only able to take advantage of world interaction by previous characters (eg: locked doors now open), but also find, kill and loot their now fortified old characters to retrieve their loot.

Ryoku

fps zombie game? so many

I wouldn't generalize it to that point. Ubisoft have tried to make a distinction with the game from actual FPS. They keep touting "survival horror", and based on the game mechanics we know about, and video footage, it seems to play much more differently than your typical zombie shooter.

Also to note, survival horror is not to be mixed up with action horror games, such as Resident Evil 4, 5, 6, and Dead Space.

Gummb

You should probably read more into it. The GamePad adds to the experience (backpack, sniping, scanning, etc), and the concept of "one bite and you're a zombie" followed by "you need to hunt down your previous character to get your items back" is pretty cool imho. Your death makes your enemy stronger. If you continue to die in the same area without killing, you're just making it that much more difficult.

That and I love how it appears that the developers actually created full-on characters with backstories to inhabit the world, such as the kindergarten teacher. I hope there is a way to explore those backstories and piece together what happened to cause the outbreak. I think I remember reading something about the outbreak happening at the Summer Olympics, which is also... pretty cool - the idea of playing a game about recent history and seeing it played out as if zombies had been created. I just see some crazy potential and some already established quality from what I see in the videos. If anything, it will be a solid survivor horror experience.

[edit] yay! ZombiU defense force! I'm kind of amazed (and pleased) this game has amassed a loyal fanbase. I really do not see a Red Steel situation here. I had a horrible feeling about Red Steel after the previews and videos I saw, and this game is the complete opposite. For Red Steel, it was the promotional videos that hyped me up and the gameplay videos that made me question it. For ZombiU, every video reestablishes my faith that it will be a quality title.

Firstly because it's a launch/launch window title that is a showcase for the GamePad. Secondly I suspect that both Ubisoft and Nintendo are going to market the crap out of it. And lastly because from what we've seen so far it actually looks like a next gen title. Exclusives sell consoles and eye candy sells games at the end of the day.

I can see it doing over 1.5m LTD.

Not only will ZombiU convince Ubisoft to continue developing M-Rated games, it will also (along with the sales of Aliens Colonial Marines) convince other publishers to do the same rather than bringing year old ports to the system. I can see Mass Effect 3 and Arkham City not doing so well.

Edit: Bloody hell gummb, hadn't thought about each death making the enemy stronger!!! It's going to be a bloomin nightmare (but in a good, if nerve-wracking way!). Still not sure about how it's all going to fit together tbh, there have to be some checkpoints or save points somewhere otherwise you'll have to start right from the beginning again every time you play it.

Luigiv

I guess if you wanted to boil away all the actual gameplay elements to "FPS game with zombie enemies" then someone would feel that way.

Uhh, I picked DayZ notjust because it's an FPS with zombies but also because it's survival focused with permadeath just like ZombiU. Mind you I haven't really seen much of DayZ so that's why I said "maybe" but on paper it sounds quite similar to me.

Gummb

Firstly because it's a launch/launch window title that is a showcase for the GamePad. Secondly I suspect that both Ubisoft and Nintendo are going to market the crap out of it. And lastly because from what we've seen so far it actually looks like a next gen title. Exclusives sell consoles and eye candy sells games at the end of the day.

I can see it doing over 1.5m LTD.

Not only will ZombiU convince Ubisoft to continue developing M-Rated games, it will also (along with the sales of Aliens Colonial Marines) convince other publishers to do the same rather than bringing year old ports to the system. I can see Mass Effect 3 and Arkham City not doing so well.

Edit: Bloody hell gummb, hadn't thought about each death making the enemy stronger!!! It's going to be a bloomin nightmare (but in a good, if nerve-wracking way!). Still not sure about how it's all going to fit together tbh, there have to be some checkpoints or save points somewhere otherwise you'll have to start right from the beginning again every time you play it.

I truly hope so. I'm almost definitely going to buy a copy, which is more than I could ever say for Red Steel... so I have faith. :p

*Snip*

I think I remember reading something about the outbreak happening at the Summer Olympics, which is also... pretty cool - the idea of playing a game about recent history and seeing it played out as if zombies had been created. I just see some crazy potential and some already established quality from what I see in the videos. If anything, it will be a solid survivor horror experience.

*snip*

I remember reading a Tom Clancy book with a plot just like that where the virus was to be released at the Olympics. Also nice way to tie it into current events and it makes sense thematically. One thing I do wonder though is if you'll meet other survivors being directed by other mysterious voices. And if they can be zombified or befriended. That would be cool.

Gummb

I remember reading a Tom Clancy book with a plot just like that where the virus was to be released at the Olympics. Also nice way to tie it into current events and it makes sense thematically. One thing I do wonder though is if you'll meet other survivors being directed by other mysterious voices. And if they can be zombified or befriended. That would be cool.

I agree, but I don't think it's too wise to start generating expectations that might not be in the final game. For now, it's a fun romp through London. Tomorrow, however, let us hope that it is a character-driven, multiple-perspective narrative that focuses on zombies with a touch of supernatural elements.

must resist urge to increase expectations!!

beast786

You should probably read more into it. The GamePad adds to the experience (backpack, sniping, scanning, etc), and the concept of "one bite and you're a zombie" followed by "you need to hunt down your previous character to get your items back" is pretty cool imho. Your death makes your enemy stronger. If you continue to die in the same area without killing, you're just making it that much more difficult.

That and I love how it appears that the developers actually created full-on characters with backstories to inhabit the world, such as the kindergarten teacher. I hope there is a way to explore those backstories and piece together what happened to cause the outbreak. I think I remember reading something about the outbreak happening at the Summer Olympics, which is also... pretty cool - the idea of playing a game about recent history and seeing it played out as if zombies had been created. I just see some crazy potential and some already established quality from what I see in the videos. If anything, it will be a solid survivor horror experience.

[edit] yay! ZombiU defense force! I'm kind of amazed (and pleased) this game has amassed a loyal fanbase. I really do not see a Red Steel situation here. I had a horrible feeling about Red Steel after the previews and videos I saw, and this game is the complete opposite. For Red Steel, it was the promotional videos that hyped me up and the gameplay videos that made me question it. For ZombiU, every video reestablishes my faith that it will be a quality title.

Thanks for the informative response. The gamepad stuff does not excite me at all. But the permadeath and you become part of zombie is pretty damn fantastic idea. Will keep an eye on its further development.

Thanks.

I played the ZombiU demos and I have to say it left me with a very unfavorable impression. I thought the melee combat felt weightless and much worse than Condemned, Dead Island, or L4D. AT first I thought I was just getting used to the sticks on the GamePad and Pro, but aiming the guns didn't feel 'right' either. If they don't seriously tweak these core fundamentals by the game's release than I'm writing this game off.

DGRE

Banned
Uhh, I picked DayZ notjust because it's an FPS with zombies but also because it's survival focused with permadeath just like ZombiU. Mind you I haven't really seen much of DayZ so that's why I said "maybe" but on paper it sounds quite similar to me.
So you aren't really familiar with either game?

I love the idea, premise and awesome scope of Day Z, but damn does that game run like shit. Not run in the technically sense, but the sense of animation, blending, weight, etc. What game is it a mod for?

I played the ZombiU demos and I have to say it left me with a very unfavorable impression. I thought the melee combat felt weightless and much worse than Condemned, Dead Island, or L4D. AT first I thought I was just getting used to the sticks on the GamePad and Pro, but aiming the guns didn't feel 'right' either. If they don't seriously tweak these core fundamentals by the game's release than I'm writing this game off.
I don't like the combat either honestly. It looks cheap and sloppy, which could be a huge issue considering you essentially have to beat the game in a perfect, no damage run. Outside of the "no hands opening doors and picking up items", this is my only other real issue with it. It definitely needs some attention, because it looks bad considering the rest of the game looks so nice for the most part.

Luigiv

So you aren't really familiar with either game?

I'm about as familiar with Zombi U as anyone else a this stage. Not hugely familiar with DayZ but looking at some gameplay videos now (I really should have done this earlier) I'm definitely sticking to what I said earlier.

Whilst there are definitely differences, most of the parts of ZombiU that people are really hyping up and using to claim that the game is unique can also be found in DayZ (The focus on survival as long as you can with scarce resources, character building with permadeath). There's enough shared elements there for me to claim some similarity.

Not that that's a bad thing, but it's worth pointing out when posed the question "Can you tell me another zombie game this plays similar to, other than the original Zombi?".

I love the idea, premise and awesome scope of Day Z, but damn does that game run like shit. Not run in the technically sense, but the sense of animation, blending, weight, etc. What game is it a mod for?
janky
Pronunciation: IPA: /ˈd͡ʒæŋ.ki/
Adjective: janky (comparative jankier, superlative jankiest)
(slang) for Arma II
Oh man, that's a janky engine.

;-p

Insane scope though.

There was a philosopher/advisor to one of the Kings of England in the 1800s who predicted the apocalypse in 2012, and it's based on his prophesies. The guy helping you on the radio is one of a group of people that have been preparing for it. Can't remember the bloke's name now, it was mentioned in a video interview at E3.

So the story is based on actual prophesies made by someone over a hundred years ago which is pretty cool. I just hope it gets released before the real thing happens...we're going to need all the practice we can get before London turns into zombie city!!!

I'm thinking of buying a cricket bat just in case lololol :Oo

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There was a philosopher/advisor to one of the Kings of England in the 1800s who predicted the apocalypse in 2012, and it's based on his prophesies. The guy helping you on the radio is one of a group of people that have been preparing for it. Can't remember the bloke's name now, it was mentioned in a video interview at E3.

So the story is based on actual prophesies made by someone over a hundred years ago which is pretty cool. I just hope it gets released before the real thing happens...we're going to need all the practice we can get before London turns into zombie city!!!

I'm thinking of buying a cricket bat just in case lololol :Oo
Didn't know about that, it's cool.

boyshine

The name Zombi U sounds like shovelware.

I don’t think the artwork (or the actual game for that matter) supports that, this thing is amazing:

image_zombi_u-19474-2535_0002.jpg

cacildo

ZombiU really isn't doing anything that the original Zombi didn't do in some form

http://www.gamesradar.com/forget-du...-ever-and-you-probably-didnt-know-it-was-one/

If anything it's expanding on the original.

I played Zombi some time ago. I remember i didnt understand anything.

I dont know if its just me, but old games feel a lot scarier than new games. I cant explain it.

Industry and gaming press better hype the hell out of this game. The market needs something fresh, that can hold people´s attention. There´s a lack of news, hype, excitment is so big it feels like the whole videogame thing is dying

"First person, shoot zombies" is a sweeping generalisation. I can't think of many zombie games that offer a semi persistent explorable environment, heavily focused on survival, where checkpoints and save data are made relatively obsolete in favour of multiple random, playable survivors. Where death simply has you spawn at a random location as an entirely new character, not only able to take advantage of world interaction by previous characters (eg: locked doors now open), but also find, kill and loot their now fortified old characters to retrieve their loot.

I wouldn't generalize it to that point. Ubisoft have tried to make a distinction with the game from actual FPS. They keep touting "survival horror", and based on the game mechanics we know about, and video footage, it seems to play much more differently than your typical zombie shooter.

Also to note, survival horror is not to be mixed up with action horror games, such as Resident Evil 4, 5, 6, and Dead Space.

It is much clear now. Never paid that much attention to detail.

Hiltz

It's nice that we'll have action horror (RE6) and survival horror (Zombi U) games come out around the same time.

Top Bottom