• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

Hmm I wonder if the 16 gig will have an Hard Drive bay for expandable storage?

My guess on price is

16 gig = $169.99
250 gig = $199.99
500 gig = $299.99

PS3/Vita bundle = $349.99

PerZona

Those ridges are just plain ugly but from any other angles it looks nice. It might be just bad pictures though. In any case hope that the ridges won't make it to the final design @.@

lucius

Phat looked good in pics, but once you got it home the smudges and dust collecting shiny black was not worth it. Current Slim is much better could actually fix it in a couple laptop briefcases for easier travel, the phat would never fit.

What do you think the 16 GB is, RAM? Of course they can't release a system without a hard drive, their OS, save files, account files, and other files need to be stored on it. Microsoft was in a different situation, they had proprietary slots in the system for memory cards and other peripherals, they could go around the issue of having a hard drive in every system. If Sony decides o allow access to flash drives for saves and other files, they are literally opening flud gates for exploitation and hacking. And besides, why would it matter this late into generation if hard drive is standard? If they can get casuals sitting on the fence I say more power to them.

I don't think they even make 16GB HDD's anymore. You can transfer saves to a flash drive now, I did it two days ago.

16 gigs is about the same available space that people had when they bought the launch 20 gig for $499.

Well, 6 years ago I didn't need a TB in my PC. Alot has changed 16GB of hard drive space/flash memory just isn't going to cut it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I don't think they can make a typo like that in an official correspondence, so it has to be 16GB flash instead of 160GB HDD. Besides, no point in releasing a 160GB model when you already have the 250GB one.

I wonder if it will be faster than the other models considering the advantages of having a flash memory, and if they can really bring down the price of that model to $150, it would be a great accomplishment and a solid boost to the system before the PS4 is revealed.

Do not want. Looks disgusting. What the hell were they thinking? O_O

Shhh, I love you my CECH-2104B:

318IZ76bPUL.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I imagine they're going to introduce their own brands of HDDs and make the install process more user friendly as well.

They just need to make the Sata/HDD slot easier to open and use(like the front ones in the new PC cases)

I just don't think they'll have a whole $150 gap between consoles (16gb vs 500gb). Also, I don't think they want the consumer to believe that there is actually still a $300 PS3 out there. Now is the time for $200 or less?

Crateman

The NOM (Norma Oficial Mexicana) logo on the upper right of the tag and the COFETEL (Comisión Federal de Telecomunicaciones) No. means that the new PS3 model is also bound to appear on Mexico. I'm guessing this is a PS3 Slim intended for Latin America?

Lol I just showed my brother the gaf render and he didn't even believe that it was real at first (in a good away). He thinks it looks amazing. I think it looks awesome too, not number 1, but slick nonetheless.

edit - what if this only comes out in one region like the PSP street, such as latin america like what Crateman said?

Tabris

If it gives me PS2 compatibility, I don't care what it looks like (well I kinda do but I'll take PS2 compatibility+ugly console for none) so I can replace my overheating phat PS3 (just need to keep cabinet open when I play PS3 otherwise it's fans go into superdrive)

SRTtoZ

It beats the hell out of the PS3 slim visually and I am going to be in the market for a 2nd PS3 soon, so this may be the one. I'll need pricing and more pics before I decide.

Mariolee

I'm definitely not digging the design, and I love the way my current PS3 Slim looks, but I know how these threads go a year into the future so I'm going to say "Man, it looks really good and will probably look better once we don't get some shitty photos of it."

The low end hard drive models are already $249. They can't introduce a new price reduced version with a hard drive at the same price point. The existing slim will look better than the flimsy, top loading new one at $249. Logically, the new model must be accompanied by a price drop across the whole line. The $199 price point is the sensible place to go for the low end hard drive model. If the 250gb ends up where it should at $199, it's not hard to imagine the 500gb ending up at $249. All that's left is the 16gb model. It has to be significantly cheaper than the 250gb model (and we know it should literally be about $40 less to actually build) so $149 makes a lot of sense. Sony could soft pedal the price drop to like 170 or 180, but it will definitely be less than 199. I think $149 makes the most sense. Sony is still really good at cost reduction, and switching out a mechanical hard drive for flash eliminates a huge fixed cost from the BOM.

I didn't mean they would add in propietary memory, just label their own HDDs for mass market.

Oh, so just put out HDD's that say "For PS3" on the box but still allow you to buy and install a Western Digital? That sounds great but I am not convinced they will do that.

new slim $149? no fucking way

I don't know if they'll go that low. But it is worth pointing out that Yoshida said in the recent Game Informer that they're aiming for the family market with their holiday lineup. What better way to do that than to have a really cheap PS3 available?

Top Bottom