• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

elty

Does those eboot fix works for 3.41? Haven't touch my ps3 for a long time and don't have any of those game to test. Dragon's Dogma never fall in price.

Mitsurux

How difficult is it to get PS1 games to boot from the harddrive. (Unable to look at some of the resourses at work due to sites being blocked etc.)

there are a few games i would love to beable to just have saved on the harddrive similar to how Ps1 classics are ahndled.

And info or personal experiences would be great

N.A

Banned
How difficult is it to get PS1 games to boot from the harddrive. (Unable to look at some of the resourses at work due to sites being blocked etc.)

there are a few games i would love to beable to just have saved on the harddrive similar to how Ps1 classics are ahndled.

And info or personal experiences would be great

Only possible with the CobraUSB atm.

BTW, wiki is down for maintenance atm. Once it is back up, it should work fine for all those having issues.

Edit: And now the server died too :'( Will hopefully be back up soon.

So N.A., on the backup compatibility list does the Ebootfix column now refer to a game working on CFW 3.55 with a patched eboot? I notice that Max Payne 3 has now been changed to a "No" entry for that column so I'm assuming that's what it is.

Maybe a clarifying note at the top would be useful so that people don't confuse it with the TrueBlue column (since previously it looked like that was happening with the Max Payne entry among others).

Keep up the good work with pshomebrew, it's a fantastic resource.

N.A

Banned
So N.A., on the backup compatibility list does the Ebootfix column now refer to a game working on CFW 3.55 with a patched eboot? I notice that Max Payne 3 has now been changed to a "No" entry for that column so I'm assuming that's what it is.

Maybe a clarifying note at the top would be useful so that people don't confuse it with the TrueBlue column (since previously it looked like that was happening with the Max Payne entry among others).

Keep up the good work with pshomebrew, it's a fantastic resource.

Ebootfix means it works with Ebootfix :p

Thank you :D

N.A

Banned
Wait, so none of the columns indicate whether a game can be made to work with CFW 3.55 by downloading and applying a separate patch? Isn't that important information for a compatibility list?

If a game works on 3.55 it says yes in internal/external. If it needs a patch, it's in the notes. If you can patch it yourself with ebootfix then that is marked.

Does anybody know if any cheat packages or methods have been released for Just Cause 2? Out of all of my games that's probably the one that would be the most fun with cheats.

If a game works on 3.55 it says yes in internal/external. If it needs a patch, it's in the notes. If you can patch it yourself with ebootfix then that is marked.
Why does it say "no" in internal/external for Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, Bodycount, Dead Island, etc., when those games have had fixes released?

N.A

Banned
Why does it say "no" in internal/external for Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, Bodycount, Dead Island, etc., when those games have had fixes released?

It hasn't been updated yet.

Tess3ract said:
So I hear they now have software ps2 emulation on slim ps3s running 3.55

True? If so holy fucking shit
It's true but very few games are playable. It's possible the PS2 Classics on PSN emulator will be hacked in the future though that would bring much better compatibility.

Cth

I think my hard drive may be failing.. Will I lose CFW if I replace the drive?

I think I read that as long as I made a USB key with the firmware I'm running (3.55) then I would be able to install it on the new drive.. But I've read conflicting information so I was hoping someone had an answer.

FYI I have to periodically rebuild the database.. I just had some installed games corrupted last night.

i'm gonna drop this little nugget in here

DUPLEX said:
When we first read about the TrueBlue USB Dongle we were excited about it.
Finally having a way to play FW 3.60 games on CFW 3.55 again. What a great
asset to the scene everyone thought .. until people found out that this
USB Dongle was solely made for cashing in Its only purpose was to check on
the DRM the TrueBlue Team added to their 3.55 Eboots. What a shame

DUPLEX to the rescue Finally bury your TB dongle because we removed their
unnecessary DRM and their Patches will now work on Cfw 3.55 without any dongle
or special TB CFW.

N.A

Banned
2012-08-15 20:39:54 PS3 Neverdead.Eboot.Patch.DirFix.PS3-DUPLEX
2012-08-15 20:27:53 PS3 Tiger.Woods.PGA.Tour.13.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX 9.1MB | 1F
2012-08-15 19:54:30 PS3 Dirt.Showdown.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX 14.6MB | 1F
2012-08-15 19:53:01 PS3 Devil.May.Cry.HD.Collection.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX 12.0MB | 1F

2012-08-15 19:52:37 PS3 Sniper.Elite.V2.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX 4.0MB | 1F
2012-08-15 19:51:08 PS3 Syndicate.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX 7.9MB | 1F
2012-08-15 19:50:00 PS3 Twisted.Metal.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX 7.0MB | 1F
2012-08-15 19:46:32 PS3 Snipers.Invisible.Silent.Deadly.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX 5.8MB | 1F
2012-08-15 19:45:47 PS3 Puss.in.Boots.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX 4.0MB | 1F
2012-08-15 19:45:00 PS3 Assassins.Creed.Revelations.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX

:O

All the patches out there for Ass Creed Revelations is for the euro version; I have the north american version. Anyone know if an american patch exists or how I would make the euro one work with my copy?

N.A

Banned
All the patches out there for Ass Creed Revelations is for the euro version; I have the north american version. Anyone know if an american patch exists or how I would make the euro one work with my copy?

Changing your param.sfo game id to the euro version should work.

Senaxx

Banned
Are these all PAL releases?

I have them @ PS3SceneFiles and I listed their gameID's. You can see for what region the patch is intended to. But if you replace the eboot, and modify the DiscID in the PARAM.SFO to the DiscID the patch is intended for most of the time the patch just works fine.

Neverdead.Eboot.Patch.DirFix.PS3-DUPLEX - Cannot find this one yet...
Tiger.Woods.PGA.Tour.13.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX - BLES1445
Dirt.Showdown.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX - BLES01578
Devil.May.Cry.HD.Collection.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX - BLES01228
Sniper.Elite.V2.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX - BLES01290
Syndicate.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX - BLES01371
Twisted.Metal.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX - BCUS98106
Snipers.Invisible.Silent.Deadly.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX - BLES01327
Puss.in.Boots.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX - BLUS30731
Assassins.Creed.Revelations.Eboot.Patch.PS3-DUPLEX - BLES01467

I have three dumb questions.

1) How do I check what kind of CFW I have? (It's been a while since I've played with it)
2) I haven't kept up so should I upgrade it? To what?
3) Is it possible to play prototype code on my CFW PS3? I find betas fascinating.

Can anyone recommend some good plugins for Showtime? I hear there's a YouTube one which is very good.
In answer to my own question, it seems like there are two by facanferff that are highly regarded:
  • Navi-X
  • YouTube Plugin HD

I have three dumb questions.

1) How do I check what kind of CFW I have? (It's been a while since I've played with it)
2) I haven't kept up so should I upgrade it? To what?
3) Is it possible to play prototype code on my CFW PS3? I find betas fascinating.
Others might be able to give you better answers, but AFAIK:
  1. I don't think there is a simple way if you can't remember which one you installed. Kmeaw was the most common. I'm not sure if there are any ways to tell the difference between kmeaw and rogero, or that other buggy one with the silly name (133t or rap inspired I think). If you have Rebug I think some of the menus are different so you might be able to eliminate that one as a possibility.
  2. I think Rebug is considered the best of the 3.55 CFWs, possibly because it had some extra DVD region settings as well as some extra firmware spoofing options or something like that. It was the last one to come along (a fair while after the others).
  3. DEX consoles can run unsigned code which is probably what you're after. So you might need to do a CEX to DEX conversion.

Haven't followed the scene in quite a while i'll ask a question here:

is there anything exciting coming or romoured to come anytime soon?
Showtime version 4 is supposed to be released shortly. Also we're expecting 3.70+ keys from the E3 team guys eventually I think.

Most of the things I'm after have already been released now, although I wouldn't mind seeing a CFW with the Sony web blocks built in (to avoid firmware update prompts and the risk that someone other than me might say "yes" to one) and a simple XMB menu item for changing DVD and Blu-ray region.

Speevy

Banned
Here's what I don't understand.

Homebrew scenes live and die by the number of people who are able to reliably, safely use the software.

Yet for most people, this CFW is impossible because of the official firmware they have. In the OP, it mentions downgrading which is beyond the scope of this topic (as if it's some taboo subject).

It just seems like an oddly self-defeating proposition.

Homebrew scenes live and die by the number of people who are able to reliably, safely use the software.

Yet for most people, this CFW is impossible because of the official firmware they have. In the OP, it mentions downgrading which is beyond the scope of this topic (as if it's some taboo subject).

Downgrading requires complete disassembly of your PS3 and then some fairly intricate soldering of stuff to the motherboard. It's not something that most people can do for themselves even with perfect instructions.

mooooose

The PS3 scene seems horrible. Outdated firmware, so you can't even keep up with features and new games. Can you log in to PSN? Barely any real good homebrew projects other than a media player (a lot easier to just get a Roku or aTV) and USB loader, which is a waste on a system like PS3 where you can download games to the HDD anyway, the games are so large...

Seems like a huge waste of time to me. And this is someone who modded their PS2, Wii, PSP, DS, iPhone, etc.

The USB loader would be cool if all the games worked and it significantly reduced load times and I don't think it accomplishes either of those things.

I won't lie, I am talking out my ass. I skimmed the thread. Feel free to correct me.

test_account

XP-39C²
Showtime version 4 is supposed to be released shortly. Also we're expecting 3.70+ keys from the E3 team guys eventually I think.

Most of the things I'm after have already been released now, although I wouldn't mind seeing a CFW with the Sony web blocks built in (to avoid firmware update prompts and the risk that someone other than me might say "yes" to one) and a simple XMB menu item for changing DVD and Blu-ray region.
You dont need a own CFW for the update stuff. You can just use a spoofer. You need a new spoofer for each new OFW that comes out though, but OFW doesnt get released very often.

The PS3 scene seems horrible. Outdated firmware, so you can't even keep up with features and new games. Can you log in to PSN? Barely any real good homebrew projects other than a media player (a lot easier to just get a Roku or aTV) and USB loader, which is a waste on a system like PS3 where you can download games to the HDD anyway, the games are so large...

Seems like a huge waste of time to me. And this is someone who modded their PS2, Wii, PSP, DS, iPhone, etc.

The USB loader would be cool if all the games worked and it significantly reduced load times and I don't think it accomplishes either of those things.

I won't lie, I am talking out my ass. I skimmed the thread. Feel free to correct me.
If you dont care about having games booting from the harddrive, emulators and Showtime (media player), then there isnt much left to the PS3 scene indeed. PSN doesnt work.

Personally i could never give up PSN access for CFW. I remember during the PSN hack, the PS3 felt much more "empty"/boring without PSN access, and that was "just" for 5-6 weeks. It also means that you cant buy PSN games either. I only play a few game at the time, so switching discs happen rarely. I also hardly use emulators or media players. But for people who play retail single player mostly, it shouldnt be much of a problem.

Brofist

I agree, and I'm also someone who usually likes to mod and toy with my stuff. You know it's bad when the only decent news in here is "look we can play _______ game that everyone else could play for a year finally"

test_account

XP-39C²
And still no way to play Journey!
One of the special thing about Journey is also the online component, people would miss out on this on CFW even if it was playable. Still an amazing game offline though, but the online part is what makes it extra special in my opinion.

[*]DEX consoles can run unsigned code which is probably what you're after. So you might need to do a CEX to DEX conversion.[/list]
I just read up on this and apparently you need a machine that can still run OtherOS to achieve this. I just updated the firmware on my one PS3 with OtherOS on it not one month ago... ;-;

N.A

Banned
Dragon's Dogma, Prototype 2 and a proper fix for MGS HD collection released by a group that isn't Duplex.

Also, a full undub patch for Tales of Graces F has been released.

I'm not going to recommend a complex hardware downgrade mod that has a very good chance at bricking if you are not experienced, From past GAF homebrew threads it seems that only concentrating on the safe methods is the way to go.

Top Bottom