• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar series: What's the difference between the Psx and Sega Cd versions?

Lunar and Arc the Lad II. Two of my favorite RPGs of all time. Thank God for Working Designs.

I prefer the PSX Lunar myself. Most have pointed out the differences already.

KiteGr

I've been playing the PSP version...

It is supposed to be close to the PS1 version, with (almost) handdrawn background and world map, the map now functions like a menu (zero combat or exploration) and there are special limit breaks.

The PSP improvements make the game worse.
  • With zero/instant W-map exploration the game is now extremely boring as there is nothing to break the ice between dungeons. The game now is nothing but dungeons.
  • The hand-drawn areas appear to be small with tons of rooms.
  • The limit breaks make the characters appear extremely powerful.
  • There are no subtitles for the Anime cut-scenes and their volume is low by default, witch is criminal for a portable game that you're supposed to play in non soundproof environments.
These are the problems I can pick up without having played any previews versions.

Sitrus

I played the Sega CD first, then the PSX version and I think they both are quite good. Maybe leaning on the Sega CD because of the opening song xD

Eternal Blue is such a great game on either, but I think the PSX was a bit easier.

So recently the possibility of picking up some Sega Cd games came up, and I realized I actually have no clue about what i'd want on the system

I just want to tell you to buy both Lunar games for Sega CD collection reasons... get Snatcher, Sonic CD, Popful Mail, Heart of the Alien, Shining Force CD, Final Fight, Ecco: The Tides of Time, Earthworm Jim: SE, and The Misadventures of Flink

Other than the GBA version being awful & the PSP version being flawed, you're not going to get much consensus among the Lunar fanbase on the best version.

My personal opinion is that the PS1 version of Lunar 1 is clearly superior to the Sega CD version (which I thought was a fairly mediocre game). Lunar 2 is a closer call since there isn't as big of a difference between the two versions and there are some things that the SCD version does better, but I'd still go with the PS1 version since it has some bonus content, more character customization via accessories, and a clearly better soundtrack.

In both cases, the PS1 versions have a definite advantage in that you don't have to play them on the Sega CD (bad load times, unreliable hardware, etc).

Something I remember from Eternal Blue Sega CD version was you had two forms of experience. You had physical experience which governed your levels, while magic experience was used to upgrade and unlock new spells/techniques where each character had (if I remember right) two rows. Like Hiro for example had Sword and Boomerang paths.

Now the two catches..

Magic experience was ALSO how you saved the game. So you couldn't really go save scumming all the time. Not enough M-Exp, no save. The other big catch was in a later fight if you did not have a specific skill for a certain character you could not beat the fight period. Like, literally impossible to do damage to the target kinda thing. Was a bit rough.

Borgan in the PSX/Saturn version is a complete push-over where in the Sega CD he's a complete monster and quite possibly one of the roughest bosses in RPGs. (Something like you have him who can do this uber blast every few rounds, one orb was like support, another orb protected him and the third orb helped with attacks. Where the PSX/Saturn was just everything counted as just one target.)

Obvious other tweaks, changes in the boss fights. Something else that I remember with the US version of Lunar SSSC was if you played the demo disc and moved Alex's ocarina to another inventory and then transferred your data, you couldn't beat the game. That was a huge oversight of a bug that some people got hit by.

cj_iwakura

Something I remember from Eternal Blue Sega CD version was you had two forms of experience. You had physical experience which governed your levels, while magic experience was used to upgrade and unlock new spells/techniques where each character had (if I remember right) two rows. Like Hiro for example had Sword and Boomerang paths.

Now the two catches..

Magic experience was ALSO how you saved the game. So you couldn't really go save scumming all the time. Not enough M-Exp, no save. The other big catch was in a later fight if you did not have a specific skill for a certain character you could not beat the fight period. Like, literally impossible to do damage to the target kinda thing. Was a bit rough.

Borgan in the PSX/Saturn version is a complete push-over where in the Sega CD he's a complete monster and quite possibly one of the roughest bosses in RPGs. (Something like you have him who can do this uber blast every few rounds, one orb was like support, another orb protected him and the third orb helped with attacks. Where the PSX/Saturn was just everything counted as just one target.)

Obvious other tweaks, changes in the boss fights. Something else that I remember with the US version of Lunar SSSC was if you played the demo disc and moved Alex's ocarina to another inventory and then transferred your data, you couldn't beat the game. That was a huge oversight of a bug that some people got hit by.

Eternal Blue SCD also had a boss that was completely removed from EBC, the Star Dragon Guardian.

I've never understood why GameArts is the only company that takes content away from their remakes.

Probably has to do with Studio Alex having by and large left the company.

SkylineRKR

I remember having fought the Star Dragon in the PSX Epilogue (1 v 1 bout), but the SCD version has another one?

But I feel that Lunar 1 PSX/Sat is superior to the SCD, while Lunar 2 is the other way around. Lunar 2 is best on SCD.

Yeah, IIRC, the Saturn versions of the games are slightly better than the PS1 versions but unfortunately since the Saturn didn't do so hot outside of Japan, they were never brought over here.

I think they were, I used to have them and play with guide. I beat the PSX versions as well, but the Saturn versions did feel better. Saturn versions FMV had more artefacts though, not counting MPEG edition which I never had.

huxley00

The PSX version is superior. I owneed both Lunar and Lunar 2 on Sega CD back in the mid 90s, they were great games but the "Compete Edition" improved some of the more nagging elements and improved the graphics drastically. I would say stick with the PSX unless you want to go for a trip down memory lane.

Eternal Blue SCD also had a boss that was completely removed from EBC, the Star Dragon Guardian.

I've never understood why GameArts is the only company that takes content away from their remakes.

Probably has to do with Studio Alex having by and large left the company.

Oh yeah. I had completely forgot bout the guardian. They also changed that dungeon theme from the unique song to one of previously played tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85epYgHdpSM

Though you reminded me about another change.

I remember having fought the Star Dragon in the PSX Epilogue (1 v 1 bout), but the SCD version has another one?

Yeah. It's quite different in the SCD version.

Star Dragon Spoilers:

There were a few removed boss fights, during one very random dungeon Lucia stops and says she feels a familiar presence. Out of nowhere this Space Samurai Cowboy talks to Lucia and then jumps your party.

Takes a cheap shot on your group. Like first time this happens he stuns everyone but Hiro. After the fight, he scolds Lucia bout the time not being right to use the gateay and leaves. He attacks again later on, again with no warning or hint it's coming. Finally at the Star Dragon Tower, it turns out this guy's duty is to guard the pathway to Lucia and the Blue Star until it's revived. Like the 1 on 1 fight in the PSX/Saturn, that part remains... but he cheap shots the fight as well.

I called him a Space Samurai Cowboy cause when you see him, he first has the cowbow poncho thing going, throws it off and he looks like a samurai style armor complete with a sword. ...And he has guns.

Part of me wants to think he was changed due to the complete lack of a map sprite or due to one of the methods of attack mentioned.

vireland

Oh yeah. I had completely forgot bout the guardian. They also changed that dungeon theme from the unique song to one of previously played tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85epYgHdpSM

We made the Star Dragon Tower theme just for the US version. It wasn't in any of the Japanese releases. I felt that area needed something to feel more special, and the composer we used did an amazing job with it - feels right at home in LUNAR.

Agree. The music was better on the Sega CD.

Keep in mind that even if the music was better on Sega CD (which I don't think it was), it's going to sound a lot worse coming out of your SCD as opposed to your PS1/2/3.

I remember there was a program to rip the audio files for the SCD version of Lunar:EB to your PC way back in the day and I remember being shocked at how much better the exact same source material sounded coming out of my PC than they did in-game.

EDIT: The Star Dragon Tower theme was great. Awesome inclusion in the US version.

cuilan

Yeah, IIRC, the Saturn versions of the games are slightly better than the PS1 versions but unfortunately since the Saturn didn't do so hot outside of Japan, they were never brought over here.

From what I remember, the Saturn MPEG version of SSSC is slightly better than the PS1 version (same content, practically same video quality, but better audio). EB on the other hand has more content and better graphics/video on the PS1, though the Saturn version still has better audio quality.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sega CD version is still tops and one of my favorite gaming memories ever. I loved that game so much I refuse to replay it, as I don't want it tainted in my mind.

We made the Star Dragon Tower theme just for the US version. It wasn't in any of the Japanese releases. I felt that area needed something to feel more special, and the composer we used did an amazing job with it - feels right at home in LUNAR.

So that's why! I think that was such a great decision and I agree bout the composer. To this day it's still one of my favorite RPG tracks.

Top Bottom