• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2012 (Jul 30 - Aug 05)

25./23. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 6.219 / 1.509.779 (-17%)

Oh oh oh oh oh. Now we are heading to 1.51M!

VAPitts

I agree NSMB2 sales are either

A) really disappointing
B) there are lot of downloads off the E-shop
C) Obon will do something?

But DQX's sales are good.

Also DQX will be the most profitable DQ of all time when it's all said and done. Nintendo is likely to take care of the Wii U version if it ever comes stateside.

wow, could you be more obvious that you're new to following Japanese sales trends?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Isn't a bit too early to call NSMB2 disappointing, especially considering there will be some Holidays in the following weeks and the nature of the game? It could start doing at least 100k per week for the following months, remember.

Meier

Fantastic hold for NSMB2. Curious discrepancy between the two trackers on DQX.. not sure I've ever seen such a significant difference at that level of sales (maybe a similar percentage difference with much smaller numbers).

TEJ

You realize there's a fundamental difference between DQX and all other mainline entries, right ? See FF XI for comparison.

perhaps.

but numbers like these are usually what you see for spinoff DQ games, and not the mainline titles.

wow, could you be more obvious that you're new to following Japanese sales trends?

What? It's possible that the game will start selling like 100k weekly like MPl said, but the first two weeks are tracking far below the other two. Unless you were talking about the DQX statement in which I was probably optimistic in thinking the subscribers would hold like 11. It still could end up being the most profitable game in the series with the Wii U version

BadWolf

Is there any chance at all of Vita doing well? Has a new system recovered before from doing this poorly?

I really want it to succeed, the hardware has so much potential compared to the 3DS :/

Isn't a bit too early to call NSMB2 disappointing, especially considering there will be some Holidays in the following weeks and the nature of the game? It could start doing at least 100k per week for the following months, remember.

More than likely. And I hate to play the download card but until we know how it's doing download wise it's a bit difficult to properly gauge its sales. Hopefully Nintendo will release some numbers soon (Hah).

We have no idea how the digital sales are, until nintendo release numbers we can't judge the game's performance with any degree of accuracy

Is there any chance at all of Vita doing well? Has a new system recovered before from doing this poorly?

I really want it to succeed, the hardware has so much potential compared to the 3DS :/

No. It's tracking worse than the PS3 which is the standard I think for a system somewhat recovering.

I suppose the 3ds would be closest, but when that was at it's worst it was around 2x or 3x what the vita has been performing at for the last few month
s

3DS was doing much better than this. PS3 I think is the closest for a "revived" system.

stilgar

Not necessarily. FF XI wasn't inline with the series sales and it became Square-Enix's most successful venture ever because of subscription fees. MMOs are a whole nother kettle of fish.

Yeah that was ironic ;_;

These are very good sales. As for the SE, I can already hear the sweet, sweet, ka-ching sound they desperately need thee days.

perhaps.

but numbers like these are usually what you see for spinoff DQ games, and not the mainline titles.

MMO's aren't really run out and buy day 1 kind of games. Generally some people wait for the servers to settle down first. Also some people may be waiting for the wiiu version.

DGRE

Banned
As someone previously mentioned, Terry's Wonderland 3DS is on track to hit 1 million by the end of this year. At least SE can use it as a bright spot in spite of the sales black hole that Kingdom Hearts 3D was.

Mpl90

More than likely. And I hate to play the download card but until we know how it's doing download wise it's a bit difficult to properly gauge its sales. Hopefully Nintendo will release some numbers soon (Hah).

We have no idea how the digital sales are, until nintendo release numbers we can't judge the game's performance with any degree of accuracy

Naaaaaah, it's better to not count digital sales for now, considering we don't have them. Let's talk just about retail sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
perhaps.

Come on. For a bit of perspective, the previous successful console MMO sold 64K first week and 150K total.

I suppose the 3ds would be closest, but when that was at it's worst it was around 2x or 3x what the vita has been performing at for the last few months

Aad

Can someone compare FF10/FF12 first weeks with FF11?

[PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square) {2001-07-19} - 1,749,737
[PS2] Final Fantasy XI (Square) {2002-05-16} - 63,958
[PS2] Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix) {2006-03-16} - 1,840,397

[PS2] Dragon Quest VIII (Square Enix) {2004-11-27} - 2,236,881
[NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) {2009-07-11} - 2,343,440
[WII] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online (Square Enix) {2012.08.02} - 420.311

extralite

B) there are lot of downloads off the E-shop

There is a Top20 of the best selling DD titles on eShop and NSMB2 has yet to make that chart. This means it sold less than @Simple DL Series Vol.2 THE Misshitsu kara no dasshutsu gakkou no kyuukoush-hen, which is #20. On 19 is the Love Plus Tools, which might give more of a hint how much NSMB2 didn't sell. I'm guessing the Love Plus TOOLS didn't outsell the retail game it belongs to.

So NSMB2 DD definitely < New Love Plus 3DS. How much lower is anyone's guess.

The next weeks will show when NSMB2 makes the Top20.

Even though it's doing good i can't help but feel disappointed by 3DS SW sales the last few weeks. NSMB2 doesn't really seem to setting the charts on fire like i expected but the big HW boost really doesn't seem to be helping the games already released. I was expecting more games to move up the charts.

Also vita is in an amazingly bad position, already back below 10K and dropping pretty fast consdering how few units are being moved. How long until it gets another big piece of software to move some hardware? It really is in trouble.

Two notes:

-3DS still selling 42k, which is quite incredible given the release of XL
-NSMB2 may have sold below many's expectations but it's not that Nintendo is not earning a ton of money from that.

Naaaaaah, it's better to not count digital sales for now, considering we don't have them. Let's talk just about retail sales.

I'm just saying that before people pass judgement and say that NSMB2 has performed worse than the others we should wait for the digital sales which no doubt represent a good chunk of overall numbers

There is a Top20 of the best selling DD titles on eShop and NSMB2 has yet to make that chart. This means it sold less than @Simple DL Series Vol.2 THE Misshitsu kara no dasshutsu gakkou no kyuukoush-hen, which is #20. On 19 is the Love Plus Tools, which might give more of a hint how much NSMB2 didn't sell. I'm guessing the Love Plus TOOLS didn't outsell the retail game it belongs to.

So NSMB2 DD definitely < New Love Plus 3DS. How much lower is anyone's guess.

The next weeks will show when NSMB2 makes the Top20.

Do you know for sure they include retail titles with download-only software?

Erethian

I suppose the 3ds would be closest, but when that was at it's worst it was around 2x or 3x what the vita has been performing at for the last few months

By this time in its life it had already got the price cut, too. And Sony shows no signs of taking drastic action anytime soon.

The longer the situation goes on the more it seems likely that while some parts of Sony wanted the Vita, others didn't. Wouldn't surprise me if the Western branches were putting all their efforts into the mobile space instead.

Mpl90

Even though it's doing good i can't help but feel disappointed by 3DS SW sales the last few weeks. NSMB2 doesn't really seem to setting the charts on fire like i expected but the big HW boost really doesn't seem to be helping the games already released. I was expecting more games to move up the charts.

Also vita is in an amazingly bad position, already back below 10K and dropping pretty fast consdering how few units are being moved. How long until it gets another big piece of software to move some hardware? It really is in trouble.

In 22 days, Hatsune Miku.

Furoba

Hopefully releases will pick up from TGS on.

Two notes:

-3DS still selling 42k, which is quite incredible given the release of XL
-NSMB2 may have sold below many's expectations but it's not that Nintendo is not earning a ton of money from that.

You know I feel like NSMB2 wasn't even made really for the Japanese market. 3DS sales are fine here. It seems made to combat 3DS sales in the west, so I'm not sure I would judge its success until I see those numbers (although I feel the game is not going to be the big thing Nintendo expects).
I'm just saying that before people pass judgement and say that NSMB2 has performed worse than the others we should wait for the digital sales which no doubt represent a good chunk of overall numbers

Maybe in the west this could be said, but I'm not sure we have any data to back up download sales being a big chunks.

I don't think 400k is good, unless it's going to have good leg

If those 400k kept subscribed for a long period it would be more profitable than any other game in the series even 9.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Your suprised? We're talking about Dragon Quest here.
Doesn't matter if online or single-player.
Dragon Quest rocks in japan!

Not surprised that a bump happened.

I'm surprised at the size of it. I was pretty sure most people buying DQX would already have one. >_>

[PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square) {2001-07-19} - 1,749,737
[PS2] Final Fantasy XI (Square) {2002-05-16} - 63,958
[PS2] Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix) {2006-03-16} - 1,840,397

Important to note.

beje

Banned
haha, my DQ predictions were 100% off :D

I don't think 400k is good, unless it's going to have good leg

As already stated, 400k is already more than the life to date FFXI sales in Japan. If they can keep half the people on subscription than the aforementioned title, it will be already a huge cash cow.

Edit: beaten like a dead horse.

Top Bottom