• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2012 (Jul 30 - Aug 05)

By this time in its life it had already got the price cut, too. And Sony shows no signs of taking drastic action anytime soon.

The longer the situation goes on the more it seems likely that while some parts of Sony wanted the Vita, others didn't. Wouldn't surprise me if the Western branches were putting all their efforts into the mobile space instead.

I agree that drastic action is needed as soon as possible, and that more and more studios are questioning the vita's sustainability (as we discussed in last weeks thread regarding the 'tales' series). We must remember, however, that Sony is in no position to make a price cut, they recently announced losses of, correct me if im wrong, $360m. There is little they can, but wait for the holidays and hopefully have games released then.

mclem

Isn't this, like, really bad for a mainline dragon quest title?

It's really bad for a mainline DQ title. It's really good for an MMO. I don't think we'll be in a position to consider the game a success (or otherwise!) for some time yet, though, since it's all about the subs.

You know I feel like NSMB2 wasn't even made really for the Japanese market. 3DS sales are fine here. It seems made to combat 3DS sales in the west, so I'm not sure I would judge its success until I see those numbers (although I feel the game is not going to be the big thing Nintendo expects).

Sure, Nintendo said that (NSMB2 and 3DS XL to propel sales in the West).
NSMB2 could sell more, but it's not that it's not successful. We won't see DS and Wii numbers, but it should sell over time and reach also 3.5-4 mln which would be astonishing anyway, also considering the strength of 3D Land.

Nibel

Some of you don't realize that NSMB2 will be in these charts for a long fucking time

The biggest suprise is that Wii bump; pretty impressive.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wonder how SE will treat the Wii U release of DQX. Just re-release it in HD, or add a lot of new content to try and get people to double dip and transition over to Wii U for the future.

As already stated, 400k is already more than the life to date FFXI sales in Japan. If they can keep half the people on subscription than the aforementioned title, it will be already a huge cash cow.

Edit: beaten like a dead horse.
Yes, but there's a very hurdle along the way; Unlike FF XI which was released early in PS2 life cycle, DQX is released almost after the life cycle of Wii [and not to mention PC release which I suspect is the main reason game sold in the west]. So unless they are betting on the Wii U version, I don't believe we will see many people subscribing for a long time.

Dystify

I wonder how SE will treat the Wii U release of DQX. Just re-release it in HD, or add a lot of new content to try and get people to double dip and transition over to Wii U for the future.
Considering they share the same world (Wii + Wii U user will play together, from what I heard) I really doubt that.

Maybe in the west this could be said, but I'm not sure we have any data to back up download sales being a big chunks.

there were pictures of entire Walls in game stores filled with eshop download cards, plus the eshop broke down for a while on the day of mario's launch. This would suggest that digital sales must have been relatively strong, though, as I have argued, all this is simply speculation till nintendo give us numbers.

schuelma

Considering they share the same world (Wii + Wii U user will play together, from what I heard) I really doubt that.

I think what I mean is have a major expansion come out day 1 when the Wii U version releases, while also making it available on the Wii.

schuelma

Why are the Famitsu and MC numbers for DQX so different?

Did one not count the Wii console bundle?

Like MH Tri there were 2 versions to track, so maybe one of the trackers was really off in shipment numbers for one of the versions.

there were pictures of entire Walls in game stores filled with eshop download cards, plus the eshop broke down for a while on the day of mario's launch. This would suggest that digital sales must have been relatively strong, though, as I have argued, all this is simply speculation till nintendo give us numbers.

Or Nintendo's servers were not prepared for that kind of data transfer even on a small scale. Have we seen the walls of download cards and what they look like now?

What? We don't know if it's sales are disappointing as we don't know the digital sales. Sure the physical sales are below the previous instalments, but they were not released digitally.

Well the digital excuse has been made fun in the past.

Dystify

I think what I mean is have a major expansion come out day 1 when the Wii U version releases, while also making it available on the Wii.
Well I think a HD DQX with some nifty touchpad features would be pretty good for the port. If they give it another advertising push it might very well sell to previous Wii users.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
NSMB2-Hmm..I hesitate to say too much given the long legged nature of 2D mario, but I think this is disappointing. NSMB U sales will be interesting.

I think Nintendo made a mistake with the release schedule in this regard and they may learn something from it. Not that I have any authority to talk for many people BUT, I'm skipping NSMB2 in favour of NSMB U - having two 2D Mario platformers so close together is a bit overkill right now, and the WiiU version looks much better graphically and gameplay. I wonder if I'm not the only one?

I wish we knew the digital sales though; it's kind of a unique situation because it's the first time Nintendo have done this with a full retail title and they've made a big deal about it, so the digital sales may actually be significant... or may not. Gah, the lack of info is killing!

extralite

Do you know for sure they include retail titles with download-only software?

They do in the weekly chart. Basically in the ranking shelf the first option is to look at what is selling recently (updated weekly, NSMB2 at 2 since it launched), the second what has sold best all time.

Of course another question is if the download cards are included. They could, since they're downloaded from the eShop, or they could not, since they're not paid via the eShop.

Raonak

Banned
DQ seems... lower than expected. Didn't the last one do like 2+ million in a week?

EDIT: oh. mmo? LOL can't believe they're still trying this mmo route after the relatively meh reception of both XI and XIV

Or Nintendo's servers were not prepared for that kind of data transfer even on a small scale. Have we seen the walls of download cards and what they look like now?

Valid point regarding nintendo's servers not being prepared, and i haven't seen any pictures of these stores post release. I just hope nintendo release numbers soon to settle this question.

AntMurda

I wish we knew the digital sales though; it's kind of a unique situation because it's the first time Nintendo have done this with a full retail title and they've made a big deal about it, so the digital sales may actually be significant... or may not. Gah, the lack of info is killing!

Everyone keeps mentioning digital sales, but I figure at least the download cards sold at retailers should be part of these numbers.

Dystify

DQ seems... lower than expected. Didn't the last one do like 2+ million in a week?
Nothing against you in particular but posts like this one and many other in this topic make me think if people are really that ignorant or really have no idea how MMO sales on consoles usually work. Either way, before posting the same thing over and over again they should read this topic first...

Edit: Just to make it clear, MMO sales are lower but give the company a steady income of money because of the subscriptions. I doubt they even shipped anywhere over a million for now.

Mmmh, maybe we can add this to 3DS lineup for the end of the year

http://andriasang.com/con267/style_savvy_3ds/

Someone call Sammy.

Nintendo's casual team is kind of interesting with the 3DS with them only seeming to make sequels to DS games instead of new experiences (Nintendogs, Style Savvy, Brain Training, and Friend Collection). This is kind of its own interesting topic, but have they given up on trying to expand with the casual audience on handhelds?

Kazerei

Banned
15./22. [WII] Wii Sports Resort # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2009.06.25} (¥4.800) - 11.545 / 2.946.049 (+42%)
26./33. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Definitive Edition # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.11.23} (¥5.040) - 6.170 / 261.185 (+48%)
28./34. [WII] Wii Party # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2010.07.08} (¥4.800) - 5.739 / 2.316.434 (+40%)

Nice bumps. Wii software is actually doing pretty well. Very few new releases, but the old releases just keep gliding along.

Cuddler

Good numbers for 3DS, wii and DQX. However, about the comparison with FFXI, doesn't FFXI needs the adapter and the HDD to work with the ps2? You can not even use the wifi with the ps2 if I remember correctly.

09./08. [PSP] Digimon World Re:Digitize <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.19} (¥5.230) - 17.508 / 134.362 (-44%)

Happy to see that Digimon is doing well, I hope there will be a sequel and an European release.
that will never happen

In 22 days, Hatsune Miku.

Which will sell well but that doesn't have much to do with how no software is really getting boosted by the current spike in HW. Maybe everyone is just picking up NSMB2 (then again that would mean existing owners aren't really buying much of it). I just would have expected selling over 300K 3DS's in a 2 week period would have had more of an impact on software sales.

wrowa

Isn't a bit too early to call NSMB2 disappointing, especially considering there will be some Holidays in the following weeks and the nature of the game? It could start doing at least 100k per week for the following months, remember.

Okay, now I understand your tag. :p

You didn't miss a chance to emphasize last week that NSMB2's opening sales are because NSMB games tend to sell the most on the days immediately after release and that it might very well hit 350k this week again.

Now it's short of that by more than 100k units and you already have the next "excuse"?

Of course, NSMB2 is far from a flop, even though the sales so far are definitely a little disappointing. But you're behaviour is a little amusing. :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
NSMB 2 sales are interesting, it has alot of "Mario" competition on the system right now with 3D Land, MK7 and also Mario Tennis Open. Paper Mario and Luigis Mansion are also to be released. But with the quality of the title and its userbase i dont see why these sales should disappoint - its still selling great even when the first one sold better. But the DS one was the first 2D platform in many years, not comparable to NSMB 2.

You guys forgot something, FFXI was released on the PS2 AND PC.

In the other hand DQX is being released for the Wii at it's end life cycle... still no word ( for my record? ) for a WiiU and PC versions.

Man, Final Fantasy is dead, I give the series 2 more entries max before it tank.

You realize this numbers are from 10 years ago for FF11 which has become the most profit FF game ever... right?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
PS2 - Final Fantasy X - 07-16-2001 - 1,749,737
PS2 - Final Fantasy XI -05-13-2002 - 63,958
DS - Dragon Quest IX -07-11-2009 - 2,343,440
Wii - Dragon Quext X - 08-02-2012 - 367.148

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Okay, now I understand your tag. :p

You didn't miss a chance to emphasize last week that NSMB2's opening sales are because NSMB games tend to sell the most on the days immediately after release and that it might very well hit 350k this week again.

Now it's short of that by more than 100k units and you already have the next "excuse"?

Of course, NSMB2 is far from a flop, even though the sales so far are definitely a little disappointing. But you're behaviour is a little amusing. :p

Saying that it could do 100k for many weeks it's not an excuse, knowing the type of game and how the others did through time. It's not a flop, obviously, but I think it's really early to say it's disappointing.

But yeah, I was wrong about 350k for its second week, this is true XD

saichi

There is a Top20 of the best selling DD titles on eShop and NSMB2 has yet to make that chart. This means it sold less than @Simple DL Series Vol.2 THE Misshitsu kara no dasshutsu gakkou no kyuukoush-hen, which is #20. On 19 is the Love Plus Tools, which might give more of a hint how much NSMB2 didn't sell. I'm guessing the Love Plus TOOLS didn't outsell the retail game it belongs to.

So NSMB2 DD definitely < New Love Plus 3DS. How much lower is anyone's guess.

The next weeks will show when NSMB2 makes the Top20.

Does Oni Training show up on the chart?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I hope Vita will be 10k+ next week thanks to orgarhythm and that f2p mobile rpg Guardian Hearts which are both coming out tomorrow.

... Who am I kidding, it will be getting worse until the Project Diva release.

Aad

Saying that it could do 100k for many weeks it's not an excuse, knowing the type of game and how the others did through time. It's not a flop, obviously, but I think it's really early to say it's disappointing.

But yeah, I was wrong about 350k for its second week, this is true XD

So what constitutes as a 'flop' for 2D Mario in Japan, 1.000.000 LTD?

extralite

You need a 16gb memory stick for DQX.

Which is ~900 yen compared to 16800 yen for the HDD. 3500 yen if you buy the official stick by SE. The usb memory also comes with the 8900 yen bundle version which seemed to be the preferred version by most buyers. The full DQX set is still priced in the range of a normal RPG, same wasn't true for FFXI.

Top Bottom