• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Sorryguys, I thought I mentioned it and must not have.

I use Nvidia Inspector and create a profile for Dark Souls

I then select these compatibility bits for SLI 0x02506405 (the non-Dx10+ category)

I then select these options under SLI
capturejwstm.png

Don't forget to add the data.exe to this profile.

I take back what I said in this post. 1.4 fix has broken my SLI. Back to single card!

I get 15fps instead of 30 with it on for some strange reason.

ronny_1

Neo Member
I need help the shadows are driving me crazy...

So I was in Anor Londo when suddenly I load my game and the shadows started to look like this (the sun flare appears for the first time):

I was thinking that is a anor londo problem but no, look at this sequence:

Then I turned off the DSFIx, and all remain the same way. Roll back to previous drivers the same...

I don't know why is this happend but its not cool

PD: I'm running on a GTX470

Thrakier

What the hell your character throws a shadow??? Because mine doesn't I was wondering already and I just thought it may be the game... o_O

I take back what I said in this post. 1.4 fix has broken my SLI. Back to single card!

I get 15fps instead of 30 with it on for some strange reason.

Durante. Any reason why going from 1.3 to 1.4 would mess up SLI? Some way the HUD is rendered?

Not a big deal, and really does not need fixing IMO, but just curious!

doomquake

schiesse Dx With new DSfix I seem to get crazy results when looking at the sun or moon. In the forest it is craziest..as you can see below. The dark screenshot is with the new HUD on, and the other off. I get some ghosting image normally, or a weird dark overlay with the minihud. This happens only when looking at the sun.

Weird stuff also happens with the minihud as I said before. If looking at your summoner, or the sun, the minihud flicks back to the old hud.

PRAISE THE SUN I WILL NOT!

Zeliard

Version 1.4

- Textures with a hash code starting with 0 will now be correctly named when dumped and loaded when overriden (with prefix 0s). Every hash is 8 charaters long.
- Fixed the cause of the latest fullscreen alt-tab crash (hopefully).
- Fixed modified HUD performance, particularly in conjunction with SMAA and VSSAO.
The performance impact should now be negligible.
- Fixed modified HUD not showing effects like poison or bleeding correctly.

See, I told you guys he'd have the HUD spiffy in conjunction with Obsidian's kick-ass announcement.

It was all part of the plan!

ElFly

Got the 1.4 patch, and tried the new HUD mod.

Small hud is super nice, but it blinks into the regular mode every few seconds when walking. I was in Anor Londo when it happened, btw.

equil

Got the 1.4 patch, and tried the new HUD mod.

Small hud is super nice, but it blinks into the regular mode every few seconds when walking. I was in Anor Londo when it happened, btw.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the sun. Dont look at the sun and it wont flicker.

doomquake

so From Soft devs were wrestling with the Phyrengine and after hours of hacks and workarounds, they got lens flare and sun spots to work as they wanted. And that is how the "Praise the Sun" part of Dark Souls was created - as a tribute to the countless hours of getting the effect to work in game.

*experimenting with SCUMM font to monkey island up the dark souls (the snake sounds in sen's keep making me think of it)

scummfont1ys9r.png

Jubbly

Very weak. New NVIDIA WHQL drivers and there is not a single optimization listed for Dark Souls. They better not skip this game.

How are they meant to optimize a game that is locked at 30 fps and runs on almost any system when not using DSfix? Furthermore, I don't recall a single instance of either AMD or NVIDIA optimizing specifically to assist a mod.

JVIDICAN

Probably mentioned, but the minimal HUD fix breaks Boss heath bars. I kinda like it aside from the non functioning yellow bar in its place. :p

Thrakier

Is it possible that the HUD hack disables SMAA? I think I see way more jaggies with it enabled. Could you guys test it for a sec?

Andrea23

How are they meant to optimize a game that is locked at 30 fps and runs on almost any system when not using DSfix? Furthermore, I don't recall a single instance of either AMD or NVIDIA optimizing specifically to assist a mod.

Sadly, this is fucking true : (.

dsk1210

Right I will mention this again, apart from the boss health bar that has been stated, can people read the messages and weapon stats menu when using the HUD reduction option?

I have enabled 0.75 luminosity on both options and still seems like some of the text has been chopped away.

I am holding off my play through at the moment.

NBtoaster

They could at least give the game a profile.

Jubbly

They could at least give the game a profile.

SLI looks to be pretty unfeasible for DS, DSfix has AO built in, and the type of people who will be using DSfix know all the AA bits. I'd rather have them spend their time working on something that would actually benefit from their resources, like making sure Borderlands 2 works perfectly, or that upcoming games have full support.

Durante

Hah, there's a lot of commented code in there.
Yeah, most of that is just stuff I turn on for a short test to get a deeper understanding on what exactly happens in some particular scene. It's really ugly, but I don't want to delete it since I know that the moment I do I'll need it again.

The correct thing to do would of course be to refactor it by moving such code to a separate module that is only compiled in when some specific preprocessor defines are set.

ronny_1

Neo Member
Great job, Durante.

I'm sure someone will pick it up and fix some of the remaining issues (and come up with new features). No SSAO during bonfire is a good one, as well as the HUD fixes.

But its not only with bonefires, I don't know if anyone noticed but the SSAO is in top of all particles, i think is more a "priorty in display thing" that only bonefires related...

Thanks durantee you're the fuckin master I will be reading the code sicnce I like programing little thigs ^^

EasyMode

How do i actually load one of the backup files?

If you're using Durante's backup feature then go to:

C:\Users\[YourName]\Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls\[GFWL_Name]\

I would change the view to detailed and sort by date modified. Then rename DRAKS0005.sl2 to something else and rename the backup you want to DRAKS0005.sl2

Would the source code be of any use to someone trying to fix the surround sound issue? As it's described as 'intercept(ing) the game's calls to the DirectX 9 API', I guess it's just for graphical fixes and not audio.

doomquake

what audio card do you have? I am guessing none of the fixes helped you. I have a VIA card and some little known fix did work for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
Would the source code be of any use to someone trying to fix the surround sound issue? As it's described as 'intercept(ing) the game's calls to the DirectX 9 API', I guess it's just for graphical fixes and not audio.

I'd imagine the sound is handled through DirectX's DirectSound, so I'm sure the surround issue could be fixed using the same method.

I like SSAO with Bonfires.

It's like "HEY MOTHERFUCKER CHECK OUT THIS SHADING".

Doesn't bother me with bonfires, but in Darkroot Garden the SSAO penetrates the fog which doesn't look as good as it should. I should probably test it with the Oblivion bit to see if it has the same issue.

Durante

I'd imagine the sound is handled through DirectX's DirectSound, so I'm sure the surround issue could be fixed using the same method.
The game uses FMOD, so I suppose you could manage by just intercepting FMOD calls. It would probably be a bit simpler to work at that abstraction level than directly through DirectSound. I wish FireEngine shipped as a .dll instead of being statically linked into the game binary, that would probably have made my job much easier.

what audio card do you have? I am guessing none of the fixes helped you. I have a VIA card and some little known fix did work for me.
I have an external X-Fi HD. It's stereo only, so I have no options to select the surround channels.

Oh. And there I was thinking DirectX was just a graphics thing. That's promising then :)

Anyone know why half of my text is missing (from subtitles?). I downloaded a custom text png, but it looks like a HUD issue since it appears to be abruptly cut off.

How do you guys take your Dark Souls screenshots?

My Steam screenshot function won't work in this game for some reason, either with or without Durante's awesome patch.

I'm currently using DSFix 0.9.. not sure if its safe to move to the latest version yet as I'm not having any issues right now.. but does it have some sort of screenshot function built in?

Is there a way to merge screenshots with Steam that weren't taking in Steam itself? Because I'd like to share them with my Steam friends.

Grief.exe

Anyone know why half of my text is missing (from subtitles?). I downloaded a custom text png, but it looks like a HUD issue since it appears to be abruptly cut off.

Certain hud elements are glitched with Durante's fix.

If you scale the hud, then things like curses, boss health bars, and subtitles don't work properly. Right Shift is the default key to turn off the hud scaleing, just press that and it will be fine.

Its so weird when I go into the boss fight and have to turn off the hud scaleing. The screen feels so cramped with the default bars.

Top Bottom