• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2.5 demo available!

Chunky

Ugh, this is just a painful reminder that I need a new Wii, since mines' disc drive is buggered. This looks like a really cool hack, hopefully I'll have the means to play it when it comes out :/

Also reminded me that SMG2 is the best game made, seriously no contest.

nluckett

The riivolution page is down. Anyone know where I can get a download link to version 1.04?

(Edit: Oh, you can grab it right from the Homebrew Browser. Dur.)

nluckett

Ok, played the levels. Very cool that someone took the time to do this and how easy it is to play these, however, the levels are pretty lackluster. Camera control is terrible (tons of objects obscure the view) and the layout of the levels is pretty boring. I was expecting more 2Dish gameplay, but it feels more like they wanted to recreate Mario 64.

Boney

Banned
You'd think anybody that played Galaxy 2 realized that the worst level in the game was Whomp's Fortress, so the hype for Bob-Omb Battlefield is just beyond me.

TunaLover

You'd think anybody that played Galaxy 2 realized that the worst level in the game was Whomp's Fortress, so the hype for Bob-Omb Battlefield is just beyond me.
Nostalgia, I still think that Mario 64 is the best 3D Mario. But I don't think that Bob-Omb Battlefield working as the original one, since Galaxy moveset has different physics from Mario 64.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I gave it a spin and when people there are camera issues, there are bloody camera issues. Off the bat you jump off a platform and the camera has no idea where it wants to go.

The demo level is pretty boring and everything wrong with open levels. Both challenges have a key item in the same spot and if you lose it you have to trek all the way back.

They have a long way to go if this is meant to be playable. They're better off releasing that SMS level pack.

mooooose

That honor goes to the PSP.

I have no idea but I'll just assume the Wii's homebrew scene is extremely minimal.
Wii has more full fledged programs (HDD Loader, Media Player) and game patches (Brawl, Galaxy, etc.). PSP just had a lot of system menu tweaks and ISO loading options. I'd say they're about equal. Definitely the two best.

Mariolee

So the consensus is that it's OK for a fan-designed level, but not remotely a great Mario level? I don't want to download if it's gonna just be a waste of my time.

It's a real shame there isn't a LBP style 3D platformer that's based on player made levels.

(and a 2D LBP style game where the platforming itself is better)

jett

D-Member
If they can port Sunshine stages into SMG2, they should create a fan-made SMG2 world made out entirely of the bonus FLUDD-less levels.

storl026

Newer Super Mario Bros Wii is the one Im waiting for. Using the Reggie Level Editor these guys are making a whole slew of awesome looking new levels for NSMBWii.

Newer Super Mario Bros Wii Youtube page

Reggie Level Editor

If they can port Sunshine stages into SMG2, they should create a fan-made SMG2 world made out entirely of the bonus FLUDD-less levels.

homer-drool.gif

BowieZ

Banned
So apparently everything shown in the trailer except Bob-omb Battlefield were just importing tests and NOT actual levels, says one of the lead designers.

Hopefully they release a trailer soon with levels from the game!

With the way Newer is going, this hack is likely to be released sooner lol.

Rich!

I still can't believe Nintendo hasn't shut this thing down yet. I don't want them to!

Nintendo have never, even since the first SMB hacks came online in the late 90s, ever requested for a rom hack to be taken down.

If they were sold for a profit, itd be a different story.

rjc571

Banned
I still can't believe Nintendo hasn't shut this thing down yet. I don't want them to!

Why? I don't think Nintendo's ever shut down a rom/iso hack. If they didn't shut down the Mother 3 translation patch there's no reason to think they'd shut down this.

They're not actually distributing Nintendo's content, are they? It's modding the game rather than redistributing it. I don't think there's much Nintendo can do, nor any real reason for them to care.

I just don't understand what the developing team has to gain from making this. The amount of time, energy, and money that goes into making these levels I would imagine to be very significant. Due to copyrights and trademarks, they can't sell the game, it has to be a giveaway which they seem contempt on doing through a mod. I just can't see them creating these levels simply because they are fans. This goes way beyond normal fan tributes.

All I could think of is maybe these guys are aspiring Nintendo developers that are creating this game to add to their developer portfolio.

The levels look amazing though, considering they don't have all the resources Nintendo has for their developers

I just don't understand what the developing team has to gain from making this. The amount of time, energy, and money that goes into making these levels I would imagine to be very significant. Due to copyrights and trademarks, they can't sell the game, it has to be a giveaway which they seem contempt on doing through a mod. I just can't see them creating these levels simply because they are fans. This goes way beyond normal fan tributes.

All I could think of is maybe these guys are aspiring Nintendo developers that are creating this game to add to their developer portfolio.

The levels look amazing though, considering they don't have all the resources Nintendo has for their developers

It's probably just a hobby. But it can't harm your future career prospects if its an area you want to be involved in either.

Also; I can't play the NSMB mod on Dolphin, right? It looks good but I'm not hooking up my Wii to play it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

They like the game and want to make more levels for it and play around with the engine.

It's not that hard to figure out.

Like, are there just a bunch of people on this board that have never played on anything but a console? This happens all the fucking time on PC. Mods, total conversions, custom levels and maps. It's not unusual.

I mean, I guess there are, but this whole idea that user alterations to game levels and code is strange is itself a strange idea to me.

I thought the platforming mechanics were pretty much the only thing people actually liked about Sunshine. No?

Oh maybe, I was the opposite if that's the case. I thought the game looked great, and the platforming was certainly solid. But I missed the satisfaction of long jumps and found the constant wall jump + hover backwards maneuvering very tedious.

Also I found hovering while controlling the camera a nightmare. It's one thing standing still, but it's another while moving in the air, having to redo several minutes of progress over again if you mess up.

Fabrik

Banned
The core gameplay and artstyle of the originals are so good than even someone with half a brain could make something decent out of it. But this looks like it was made by someone with a fully functional brain. Awesome work!

wildfire

Banned

You haven't watched the 1.5+ hour long machina movies that require small time movie budgets and 2-3 man years to collectively develop. People can get really obsessed over their hobbies.

Top Bottom