• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-e-f-

Banned
Quick random question...

Did Amazon stop selling nintendo hardware after the Operation Rainfall fiasco (Xenoblade was the best selling item on amazon for a time but nintendo decided to only allow Gamestop to sell it) or was it something different?
I don't see Amazon being happy about the lost revenue.

There were some issues with scratched 3DS screens and returns and how Nintendo didn't want to take them back or something. Nothing to do with Operation Rainfall, at least.

Can you give a source for that?

Not that Amazon is the source for truth, but it says the following:

"Some games require Motion Plus Remote"

Interviews, etc from the Sep 13 event.

Epic Mickey 2 will support Off TV mode and LAN for 2 players. Splitscreen for other versions.
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Disney-Epic-Mickey-2-The-Power-of-Two-Wii-U-Screens-and-Box-Art/11310

Let's not call it LAN since it has nothing to do with that^^

Let's go with the somewhat official "two screen multiplayer".

Converting a signal from digital to analog only to reconvert it from analog to digital will necessarily degrade the signal. It might be only slightly noticeable, but HDMI, DisplayPort and DVI are still the preferred choice.

The change is going to be so imperceptible as to be considered non-existent. I would guarantee you that much like the blind monster cable vs wire hanger test, that 99% of the people out there would not be able to tell the difference between a signal going to their set through dvi/dp/hdmi and component. Hell most people can't tell the difference on their set between 720p and 1080p and that is going to be more of a change than going from analog to digital.

It's basically a non-issue.

Of course, if nobody wanted it it wouldn't exist. But when what they want and what I/we want clash, I want me to win, even if the whole industry wanted it x.x
I find it amazing how business savvy Nintendo is but at the end of the day I would sacrifice the industry for my own entertainment, hedonism ho!

I'm not saying we shouldn't get what we want as consumers. I'm just saying that realize they're not doing it out of some FUCK THOSE REGIONS! attitude or something like that. They're doing it cause developers are asking for it.

I agree though, I would be happier if they listened to consumers in this regard instead of developers.

jmizzal

Don't be too overly hopeful for Watchdogs just because it's Ubi. They just re acknowledged that Farcry 3 won't get a Wii-U port which is very disappointing.

I'm not saying Watchdogs won't be on the Wii-U, I'd think it would make a very good connection with the gamepad. I'm just saying don't say it will because it's Ubi when they do have other big games not coming to the Wii-U.

You cant really compare Far Cry 3 and Watch_Dogs, for one Far Cry 3 has been in development and is ready to come out and ubisoft WiiU teams are very busy getting launch games ready. Where as Watch_Dogs is further out and once the WiiU launch games are done, Ubisoft can move them over to other games to start on the WiiU versions, like Watch_dogs and Splinter Cell Black List, we already know they will move the Ghost Recon online team over to the WiiU version once its out of open Beta on PC.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Let's not call it LAN since it has nothing to do with that^^

Let's go with the somewhat official "two screen multiplayer".
Technically, isn't it a local area network? You're right though, LAN is a term used for competitive games and your proposition is what I wanted to say.

Shurayuki

There were some issues with scratched 3DS screens and returns and how Nintendo didn't want to take them back or something. Nothing to do with Operation Rainfall, at least.

That was everywhere though and not selling Nintendo hardware is only a NA thing?

I'm not saying we shouldn't get what we want as consumers. I'm just saying that realize they're not doing it out of some FUCK THOSE REGIONS! attitude or something like that. They're doing it cause developers are asking for it.

I agree though, I would be happier if they listened to consumers in this regard instead of developers.

Absolutely, if I was a chairman at Nintendo and they explained to me that "either we could do this and become filthy rich, or do that and have 5 people on this planet more" I'd totally do it too. Just that if I was president I would give everything away for free. At least to me haha.

Effect

Watch_Dogs and GTA5 are the only games from that list that I expect. Sure Tomb Raider could be late but I still don't think the other versions are going to do well. I would be willing to play it though if nothing else interesting released around it. I personally don't care about Far Cry 3. The story elements are actually a turn off to be honest.

I'm expecting Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: Patriots and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist to be on the system. Both Ubisoft titles. Chances go up if the Wii U launch is great for them. I'm also hoping Final Fantasy XIV is released on the Wii U. It would control a LOT better on the Wii U then the PS3 out of the box. Sure there is Dragon Quest X but FFXIV would be an easier sell in the west then DQX. It would likely run better on the Wii U as well with the increase ram.

Hoodbury

You cant really compare Far Cry 3 and Watch_Dogs, for one Far Cry 3 has been in development and is ready to come out and ubisoft WiiU teams are very busy getting launch games ready. Where as Watch_Dogs is further out and once the WiiU launch games are done, Ubisoft can move them over to other games to start on the WiiU versions, like Watch_dogs and Splinter Cell Black List, we already know they will move the Ghost Recon online team over to the WiiU version once its out of open Beta on PC.

That's a good point but I also thought at e3 or shortly after they confirmed Watch Dogs has actually been in development for a good amount of time as well (over 2 years maybe?). I know they touted that Watchdogs is one of the best kept secrets in recent gaming since their weren't any leaks about it before they're reveal at e3 even though it's been in development for so long.

D-e-f-

Banned
Technically, isn't it a local area network? You're right though, LAN is a term used for competitive games and your proposition is what I wanted to say.

LAN-play is used when two independent systems are connected wirelessly or via a network cable in order to play together.

The Wii U feature (Two Screen Multiplayer / Splitscreen-without-a-split-screen) allows for multiplayer on the same system without forcing both players to occupy the same real estate on the screen but instead giving each a full screen.

Naturally, calling it LAN play is easier and shorter but we don't wanna give people who don't read carefully the wrong idea^^)

mgcastro

Let's talk about 2013 games. Which announced big games coming next year would you like to see on WiiU? I'm really hoping we get these:

Watch Dogs
Grand Theft Auto V
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Tomb Raider
Remember Me

What about you guys?

I'm still not getting my hopes up with these.
Bayonetta 2 was a step in the right direction, but I personally would like to see a couple more of these 'steps', in order to start expecting these type of games.

Whichever of these games come next year I'll be pleasently surprised.

Shurayuki

LAN-play is used when two independent systems are connected wirelessly or via a network cable in order to play together.

The Wii U feature (Two Screen Multiplayer / Splitscreen-without-a-split-screen) allows for multiplayer on the same system without forcing both players to occupy the same real estate on the screen but instead giving each a full screen.

Naturally, calling it LAN play is easier and shorter but we don't wanna give people who don't read carefully the wrong idea^^)

Yeah I thought about connecting Wii U's for a second there. Would be nice though, so you can have more Pads connected, some game should do that, you wouldn't even need the many TVs which normally made that impossible.

I suspect that fan-site Google translated the article and ran with it, because this is mistranslated. 4Gamer doesn't say anything about DQX running at 1080p, just that Wii U supports 1080p. Plus no other Japanese sites are reporting that it runs at 1080p.

Hell, it looked like the PS2 version upscaled with AA at PC launch, too. Art direction and IQ, for me, trumps all. I think DQX looks great on Wii U.

Right I forgot to quote that back then.
I mean, you're correct of course and that's how I read it, but since they said '合わせて' if you don your ultra-optimistic goggles they meant 'matched up to' as in increased the res.
But as for now expect 720p.

btw. google translate is again amazing 'graphic definition of vinegar has been greatly improved' all is well people, our vinegar will be as high def as possible!

jmizzal

That's a good point but I also thought at e3 or shortly after they confirmed Watch Dogs has actually been in development for a good amount of time as well (over 2 years maybe?). I know they touted that Watchdogs is one of the best kept secrets in recent gaming since their weren't any leaks about it before they're reveal at e3 even though it's been in development for so long.

Yea Watch_Dogs has been in development for a long time but at E3 it was pretty much a PC game. Far Cry 3 is already a console game bout ready to come out, thats what I meant, cuz they still would need to find a team to work on Far Cry 3 WiiU where as Watch Dogs they have a lot more time to do that.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah I thought about connecting Wii U's for a second there. Would be nice though, so you can have more Pads connected, some game should do that, you wouldn't even need the many TVs that normally made that impossible.

That'll be supported with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles I-2 and Zelda Four Swords Adventures With U. Now you don't have to buy four GBAs with link cables but two Wii U consoles and two additional GamePads! :D

No but seriously, if they included that as an option, that would be awesome.

Make sequels to those two games, including the 4-player option. Two players locally on one Wii U (via SSwoSS ...I like that term^^) and two players online. Throw in LAN support incl. Off-TV Play so you only need one TV and you're golden!

AniHawk

I'm still not getting my hopes up with these.
Bayonetta 2 was a step in the right direction, but I personally would like to see a couple more of these 'steps', in order to start expecting these type of games.

Whichever of these games come next year I'll be pleasently surprised.

lords of shadows 2 will probably happen considering there's a 3ds game in the same series.

assuming it's a 360/ps3 game, the wii u should absolutely have gta v. it seems like it's a lot further off than something like tomb raider, and nintendo knows it's important.

Earendil

I cant listen at work. Can you summarize? What's the rationale?

Basically, Smart TVs do a lot of the things that Sony and MS are planning for their next consoles, and people may be reluctant to purchase additional equipment to do what their TVs already do. It's an interesting postulation, but it remains to be seen how true it may be.

I thought his comments on the bayonetta 2 situation were right on the money :)

Me too.
Plus he squirted himself with ketchup, which was amusing.

For the fun: a survey/prospect by the IDG (International Media Group) for a French magazine (Multimédia) about the console gaming market in France in the next 2 coming years.

So according to these experts in 2014 the Wii U should be the top selling console by a noticeable margin (twice the amount of the next HD twins sales).

Source

Edit: more fun, I just received an amazon notification/email about a Kid Icarus Uprising Wii U version being ok for pre-order. ^^

Actually, going by its history, France is the true NintendoLand, so I don't find that survey's results surprising at all nor far-fetched; I mean, it's too early to say which console is going to sell the most, but Nintendo consoles usually perform in France much better than in other countries.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Actually, going by its history, France is the true NintendoLand, so I don't find that survey's results surprising at all nor far-fetched; I mean, it's too early to say which console is going to sell the most, but Nintendo consoles usually perform in France much better than in other countries.

:rayban:

Let's talk about 2013 games. Which announced big games coming next year would you like to see on WiiU? I'm really hoping we get these:

Watch Dogs
Grand Theft Auto V
Tomb Raider
Remember Me

What about you guys?

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2
Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Grand Theft Auto IV
Watch Dogs
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Resident Evil 6 Gold

I really want the first three. Hopefully Konami is just keeping their mouths shut but I doubt it.

Mithos

Watch Dogs
Grand Theft Auto V
Tomb Raider
Remember Me

What about you guys?

Tomb Raider, Remember Me from your list and possibly...

Dead Space 3
Bioshock: Infinite

lords of shadows 2 will probably happen considering there's a 3ds game in the same series.

assuming it's a 360/ps3 game, the wii u should absolutely have gta v. it seems like it's a lot further off than something like tomb raider, and nintendo knows it's important.

At this point, I'm going to assume that by the tim GTA V is released for the Wii U, it would have sold 10-15 million copies on the ps3/360. I can't imagine it coming out at launch considering they haven't said a word about it yet.

I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the screen on the controller when I pick up my deluxe Wii U at launch.

Aside from not being HD, a fine pixel density or minimal ghosting would be all I'm asking for.

Ein Bear

I kinda feel like pretty much every multiplatform title will hit the Wii U going forward. I don't see why they wouldn't, it's just easy money for them.

PhantomR

Banned
At this point, I'm going to assume that by the tim GTA V is released for the Wii U, it would have sold 10-15 million copies on the ps3/360. I can't imagine it coming out at launch considering they haven't said a word about it yet.

Well....they haven't said anything about ANY platforms yet for that matter. We can safely assume that it'll be available for PS3/360, but considering they haven't even announced it for any platform means to me that there's a solid chance for a WiiU version too.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Basically, Smart TVs do a lot of the things that Sony and MS are planning for their next consoles, and people may be reluctant to purchase additional equipment to do what their TVs already do. It's an interesting postulation, but it remains to be seen how true it may be.

The funny thing there, is that it kind of feels organic in how it fits into over-arching patterns.

Nintendo discovers a 'blue ocean' of people who haven't had gaming pitched at them with the Wii, but potentially loses much of that new audience to smartphones and tablets because mainstream people want devices that also happen to bring the blue ocean gaming as a bonus.

Sony and MS invest in making the dream of game console as ultimate set top box a reality, and find an audience that does want to be able to stream television, movies, and music from the living room. Only to get disrupted by the fact that everyone's television will soon do that anyway as a free bonus.

A huge potential caveat there though: this may indeed be an inevitable future, but it may not affect the next (8th) generation of game consoles. Everyone just finished upgrading to 1080p HD TVs over the last five years. The average consumer may not have a Smart TV until another five years have passes and they replace their current HD set as a matter of course.

So Sony and MS may catch a break there, and media convergence on their 8th generation boxes may remain a huge selling point. After that however, the future could be seriously contested if/when Smart TV becomes commonplace.

I suppose, while tossing stuff out there, Nintendo might still benefit if they manage to get Japan on their side for the 8th cycle and allow Japanese game development to have a stable home with stable budget ranges, etc. Making a stronger Japan by the time the 8th generation ends, and the industry is forced to go looking for where all the games went.

Off TV play for Epic Mickey 2, SA-weet,

Anthony aped a crazy fanboy in a Bayo thread and probably got banned for that, Roto I don't know, for the comments in the flipping consoles thread? Too bad because I agree with him, flipping consoles is disgusting, but well...

Remember to behave guys, especially now that things get hot.

Good friends we had though, good friends we lost, along the Wii Uuuuuu~

c5TyQ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom