• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to let you in on a little secret:

95% of people who post on gaming forums are fanboys.
95% of the people who review games are fanboys.
95% of the people who make games are fanboys.

I suggest it's more like this

95% of people who post on gaming forums are fanboys.
50% of the people who review games are fanboys.
10% of the people who make games are fanboys.

pramath

Banned
I suggest it's more like this

I'm sticking to the 95/5 ratio

They're all a part of the damn same band

they just wear different uniforms to work

vp.jpg

ahhh... yes... the thread that cannot be spoken of

The meltdown it contained was a danger to out planet thus removed from the hollows of time
Seriously? Dont joke with me pramath!

Here you go

I can't believe how excited I was for the Wii when it practically had nothing I wanted at launch aside from Zelda.
Thankyou.. Pramath you gonna get a ass whoopin one of these days and not thunder monkey style.

"Mass Effect"... isnt that that game where you pop enemies into the air and then shoot them while they cant even shoot back in slow motion and then later aliens with the body of a man but the head of a fish speak perfect english despite having flaps for mouths talk to you about things that sound extremely intense but you still just cant care?

Yeah ive seen a few people playing that.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I'm not saying it looks better... I'm saying based on the video's it does.

It looked smooth as well.

What are you on about? That build looks a lot more stuttery and slow than the PS3 build, it's pretty noticeable, even on Youtube. Of course, it can easily be fixed by now, as I hope the Eurogamer build may be (probably not, but hey, but I'll find out tomorrow)

Before you even think about calling my a Nintentroll or something equally fucking stupid, I've got the console on pre-order, and I was a day one Wii buyer too, but come the fuck on.

The_Lump

Banned
Just realising once again Nintendos genious, while checking these NintendoLand ganes out.

I'm not just talking about the ingenuity of the games themselves either...

In one fell swoop, Nintendo are

A) Introducing nearly all of their key franchises to those who might not have heard of some, creating new fans.

B) Teaching players how to play those franchises (learning fps/3rd person action skills from metroid, learning basically how pikmin works etc) and how these perceivabley complex control schemes are actually intuitive and simple.

C) And finally, they're showing players/developers how this new controller works, all of its functions and the concept of asymetric multiplayer.

It really is the next step in their grand plan to create a whole new generation of gamers.

Pure Nintendo Gold.

/gushing

D-e-f-

Banned
I'd like to imagine Reggie learning about ME Trilogy, cancelling all his meetings for the day, drive down to EA HQ, knock down the door, snap one or two guard's neck, grab Moore by the shirt, look at him straight in the eyes and go: Dude what the fuck?

What a fantasy land I live in. :(

Though, if Nintendo is smart, they HAD to be on the phone with EA at some point today. If I was Nintendo, I'd be pissed as hell.

1279765_o.gif

like that? :)

About nothing?

Why?

Because Trilogy is coming to Wii U?

Or Sega All Stars is going to suck regardless of the framerate?

because pramath said "much to do" instead of "much ado" :)

"Mass Effect"... isnt that that game where you pop enemies into the air and then shoot them while they cant even shoot back in slow motion and then later aliens with the body of a man but the head of a fish speak perfect english despite having flaps for mouths talk to you about things that sound extremely intense but you still just cant care?

Yeah ive seen a few people playing that.

it's that game you play on your sexbox

Just realising once again Nintendos genious, while checking these NintendoLand ganes out.

I'm not just talking about the ingenuity of the games themselves either...

In one fell swoop, Nintendo are

A) Introducing nearly all of their key franchises to those who might not have heard of some, creating new fans.

B) Teaching players how to play those franchises (learning fps/3rd person action skills from metroid, learning basically how pikmin works etc) and how these perceivabley complex control schemes are actually intuitive and simple.

C) And finally, they're showing players/developers how this new controller works, all of its functions and the concept of asymetric multiplayer.

It really is the next step in their grand plan to create a whole new generation of gamers.

Pure Nintendo Gold.

/gushing

I think this is one of the most important parts that gets overlooked most of the time. While everyone was in the process of falling asleep during their E3 briefing, they mentioned that they were going for "deeper" experiences, trying to bring those closer to those "new" people. This is exactly what NiintendoLand does. It teaches you dual-analog control (Animal Crossing -> control two characters at once with both sticks independently), IR-pointer shooter controls (Metroid Blast), co-op action RPG gameplay with teamwork (Pikmin Adventure) and other more potentially more complex game mechanics.

---

edit:
so Little Inferno is an eShop launch title as well?
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/27/happy-burnsday-little-inferno-release-date/

wsippel

Banned
Isn't that from the World of Goo folks!? I don't even know what the hell this game is, but if they made it, my dear God...I will gladly donate a launch title to have it.
It's by two of the three 2DBoy guys (Kyle Gabler and Allan Blomquist) and Kyle Gray, the designer of Henry Hatsworth.

I've just seen a Kotaku (LOL?) article about Wii U "launch window" eshop DD titles and honestly the landscape seems quiet interesting already near launch.
Could it be interesting to open a "Wii U eshop" thread focused on the various incoming products?

Here's the article:
http://kotaku.com/5946726/the-wonde...m_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Yup, that'spartly due to Nintendo giving developers free use of tens of thousands of pounds worth of goodies to play with with each dev kit (Greenhill's MULTI IDE, Autodesk middleware, Havok middleware and the Unity Engine) and partly due to Nintendo (according to rumours at least) taking less of a cut for each title sold.

I'm looking at getting Trine 2, Nano Assault Neo and Little Inferno but I may have to avoid the eShop to try and save myself from spending a fortune lololol.

The_Lump

Banned
Just a thought, but anyone know how this TVii thing will work? Is there an input on the back of the console to connect to your DVR/cable etc? Is this why they wouldn't show the back of the console recently?

Jarsonot

Anyone have a recommendation for a rechargeable wii remote solution?

I'm planning on having 4 motion plus remotes, and I'm wondering about the charger/holder stations - are they any good? I had a little charger that held 2 remotes but it was extremely finnicky about where/how I put the remote on to charge. I had to keep fiddling with it to get it EXACTLY right, and often would come back to find it not charging because apparently some dust mote bumped it.

So yeah. I'd like something to neatly hold remotes and recharge them, but want to hear hands-on testimony first. Don't want another craptastic charging station.

Thanks in advance!

The_Lump

Banned
Anyone have a recommendation for a rechargeable wii remote solution?

I'm planning on having 4 motion plus remotes, and I'm wondering about the charger/holder stations - are they any good? I had a little charger that held 2 remotes but it was extremely finnicky about where/how I put the remote on to charge. I had to keep fiddling with it to get it EXACTLY right, and often would come back to find it not charging because apparently some dust mote bumped it.

So yeah. I'd like something to neatly hold remotes and recharge them, but want to hear hands-on testimony first. Don't want another craptastic charging station.

Thanks in advance!

There's a Duracell branded one on Amazon. Very good indeed and holds charge well.

Tehalemi

Thanks for the link Phantom, holy crap! D: Day 1...

But guys! ME3 for Wii U has a special weapon and the comic backstory. That's great right guys?!

Guys?!

tumblr_lzlkh4Wz4s1rpwzpwo1_500.gif

I'd like to imagine Reggie learning about ME Trilogy, cancelling all his meetings for the day, drive down to EA HQ, knock down the door, snap one or two guard's neck, grab Moore by the shirt, look at him straight in the eyes and go: Dude what the fuck?

What a fantasy land I live in. :(

Though, if Nintendo is smart, they HAD to be on the phone with EA at some point today. If I was Nintendo, I'd be pissed as hell.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

Silly little spy, Reggie doesn't drive.

He has purple pikmin for that... o.0

I would wait until closer to its release to crucify it. Early build ect.

Has anyone seen this vid on COD 1080p Wii U?

I wonder if it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxdcb12FyQ&feature=player_embedded

Bullshit, because my ass is in full 4K resolution.

Slightly off topic....but this is the greatest thing ever. No exaggeration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5IUismTxx0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Chuck-waitwhat.gif

wsippel

Banned
Just a thought, but anyone know how this TVii thing will work? Is there an input on the back of the console to connect to your DVR/cable etc? Is this why they wouldn't show the back of the console recently?
There's no input. The Wii U itself is just a very powerful universal remote.

I played Sonic All-Stars on PS3 at the GS Expo in August and it was full of frame rate drops and had the "hazzy" effect as well. Game was really quite fun though. Not anywhere as good as Mario Kart but the level transformations from lap to lap really sold me on the game.

CaVaYeRo

Wii U will be playable in your nearest Euro capital sooner than you thought.

In Spain, Nintendo is inviting players to try the console and a bunch of launch games Friday the 5th, so there'll be plenty of new impressions and stuff. We're inviting five readers for a VIP session in the morning, in which they get to play more relaxed and more time, and the chance to win a Wii U. Pretty nice initiative IMO.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yup, that'spartly due to Nintendo giving developers free use of tens of thousands of pounds worth of goodies to play with with each dev kit (Greenhill's MULTI IDE, Autodesk middleware, Havok middleware and the Unity Engine) and partly due to Nintendo (according to rumours at least) taking less of a cut for each title sold.

I'm looking at getting Trine 2, Nano Assault Neo and Little Inferno but I may have to avoid the eShop to try and save myself from spending a fortune lololol.

Could we do an official Wii U e-shop topic, in your opinion?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unity was support on the Wii too, as it did the 360 and (I think) the PS3. Wii U support isn't surprising. However, if porting tools are indeed very easy, and Nintendo very open to a wide spectrum of e-titles with a fair and encouraging distribution policy, we could see a lot of easy Unity PC titles ported over.

Really, it will all depend on Nintendo. The quality of all e-stores depends entirely on the company running it.

Isn't that from the World of Goo folks!? I don't even know what the hell this game is, but if they made it, my dear God...I will gladly donate a launch title to have it.

Yup, another one on my long list of games to buy!!!

Have been on another forum where I've posted the US launch titles and the fanboys aren't impressed, no surprise. I then went on to say that NSMB U, Nintendo Land, Rayman Legends and ZombiU are system sellers and one has said that none of them are. Not even NSMB U lololol. You couldn't make it up.

I'm expecting ZombiU in particular to go platinum within a month of its release, including bundles.

DrWong

Unity was support on the Wii too, as it did the 360 and (I think) the PS3. Wii U support isn't surprising. However, if porting tools are indeed very easy, and Nintendo very open to a wide spectrum of e-titles with a fair and encouraging distribution policy, we could see a lot of easy Unity PC titles ported over.

Really, it will all depend on Nintendo. The quality of all e-stores depends entirely on the company running it.
Yeah it's something I'm looking for with this Unity deal, PC ports.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Out of interest, are there many good RTS games built on Unity on the PC? I'd love a healthy RTS selection on U.

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm not all that savvy on Unity games. There's some interesting stuff coming up though, like Mechwarrior Tactics. Endless Space was also made on Unity. Both CRPGs Wastleland 2 and Project Eternity will be made on Unity too.

I threw some questions out in the ether and the response to the whole ME3/METri thing appears to be "EA did not expect Wii U owners to buy Mass Effect, anyway, so no point in porting over three games. If ME3 sells gangbusters, they'll consider it a proper summer home for Mass Effect."

Grain of salt, etc. This isn't an official EA response, but it appears to be their reasoning.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I threw some questions out in the ether and the response to the whole ME3/METri thing appears to be "EA did not expect Wii U owners to buy Mass Effect, anyway, so no point in porting over three games. If ME3 sells gangbusters, they'll consider it a proper summer home for Mass Effect."

Grain of salt, etc. This isn't an official EA response, but it appears to be their reasoning.

No surprise, it seem the typical (idiotic) EA reasoning about Nintendo consoles.

cmpunk3.jpg

wsippel

Banned
Not that I'm aware of, but I'm not all that savvy on Unity games. There's some interesting stuff coming up though, like Mechwarrior Tactics. Endless Space was also made on Unity. Both CRPGs Wastleland 2 and Project Eternity will be made on Unity too.
AI Wars is Unity as well.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I've just seen a Kotaku (LOL?) article about Wii U "launch window" eshop DD titles and honestly the landscape seems quiet interesting already near launch.
Could it be interesting to open a "Wii U eshop" thread focused on the various incoming products?

Here's the article:
http://kotaku.com/5946726/the-wonde...m_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Wow...why does Kotaku sound so down on the Wii U...?

I might buy that Cloudberry Kingdom, Little Inferno and Nano Assault...

It's more than Unity support as far as I know, it's the same deal as it with Greenhill's MULTI IDE, Autodesk middleware and Havok middleware. Developers get to use it all for free when they invest in a dev kit, so anyone with a PC licence will be able to port their PC title over without going to the expense of buying a Wii U licence so the chances of a port are pretty good.

This only works if Nintendo actually follows up and releases games from each of those franchises relatively early in the generation so that people are still interested enough in the content to make the connection.

edit: thanks, Nintendo, for having a fighting game with all these interesting sounding characters from interesting sounding franchises that you stopped making games for

edit 2: Okay, fine, they make games based on KI and Fire Emblem and a few other properties. Where's my Drill Dozer 2! >:O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom