• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

crimsonheadGCN
4chan's Official Representative
(08-28-2012, 07:13 PM)
Nabs brought this up in the Steam thread. It looks like Gotham City Impostors is going to go free to play soon, since there is a free to play trailer in the Steam registry:

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/app/81959

Hopefully they'll drop Live with this version of the game. Maybe they'll do what the Toy Soldiers studio decided and make a separate Steamworks version of their title.

Edit: I need to start spell correcting my titles ;_;
Last edited by crimsonheadGCN; 08-28-2012 at 07:17 PM.
giancarlo123x
(08-28-2012, 07:14 PM)
I downloaded it free from PS+ but still haven't played it. Is it good?
FHIZ
(08-28-2012, 07:16 PM)
Well, it certainly had all the systems to do so in place... just had to pay for it to begin with.

Nevertheless, I liked the game well enough, and it'll be interesting to see if anything would happen to the PSN and XBLA versions of the games.
web01
(08-28-2012, 07:18 PM)
I enjoyed the beta alot on PS3 but the matchmaking was completely broken.
Releasing the game in a broken state was a stupid because the gameplay is really fun.
Delusibeta
(08-28-2012, 07:18 PM)

Originally Posted by giancarlo123x

It's decent enough, aside from the small fact that the PC community is dead outside of Team Deathmatch (if you're lucky).
lvclix
Banned
(08-28-2012, 07:20 PM)
I tried it since it was free on PS+. Played it for a day. It was alot of fun though it takes forever to unlock anything.

I just don't have time for freemium anything now-a-days. Between work/family/other non-gaming hobbies, either unlock everything day 1 or I move along.
1-D_FTW
(08-28-2012, 07:21 PM)
Unless they ditch GFWL it won't matter. No shooter should ever be a GFWL game. And unless they correct this fatal flaw, it'll remain a dead game.
Beelzeboss
(08-28-2012, 07:22 PM)
it was already free to play, they just made us pay for it first.

going to the unlock menus and seeing all those micro transactions all the time was depressing.
Waluisus
Good. This is the way it should have been priced since the beginning.
Carl
Still wouldnt download it
Dgott
Banned
(08-28-2012, 07:24 PM)
Matchmaking is still broken on the PS3 version. I own both the Xbox and ps3 version and matchmaking is buttery smooth on Xbox.
darkressurection
(08-28-2012, 07:25 PM)
Game is fun as hell, will definitely check it out on PC. Put quite a bit of time into the 360 version.
Axiom
(08-28-2012, 07:29 PM)
It should have been free to play from the beginning, it's really fun but finding a game was crazy hard.

Hell being so frustrated with it is what got me to try Super Monday Night Combat (free, but struggling these days regardless) and spend a bunch in their store instead.
Speedymanic
Banned
(08-28-2012, 07:31 PM)

It's very good. haven't put much time into it though, only really bought it to support Monolith.
TheSeks
Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
(08-28-2012, 07:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Carl

Still wouldnt download it

It's not bad, but on PS3 they need to fix the stick acceleration and give me the ability to crouch on R3. :|
wwm0nkey
(08-28-2012, 07:33 PM)
Wonder if it would go F2P on the 360 as well since they are letting Happy Wars do it.
Neuromancer
Banned
(08-28-2012, 07:35 PM)
I would have bought it if there had been bots. Anyway this is probably a real smart move for them.
RiccochetJ
(08-28-2012, 07:42 PM)

Depends on your tastes. I absolutely loved it because of how chaotic it the whole thing was. The last time I had this much fun was with Bioshock 2's MP.

Edit: And it's not really a stretch to go ftp for them. They have all that stuff already in there ready to go.
CaptainAhab
(08-28-2012, 07:46 PM)
Cool. I was going to buy it in the last Steam sale but it sounded like the community was dying.
Captain Fish
(08-28-2012, 07:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Beelzeboss

going to the unlock menus and seeing all those micro transactions all the time was depressing.

Definitely.

Also, the game being dead outside of TDM is true. Hopefully this brings more people in.
The M.O.B
important Canuck facts
(08-28-2012, 08:10 PM)
They can basically shadow TF2 with this game, it works perfectly.

New capes, different weapon abilities, etc. But have every map unlocked and a small chance to win a item if you put enough hours in.

Would love to try this.
The Broken Ska Record
(08-28-2012, 08:11 PM)
I just bought it during the Summer Steam Sale.

At least it was with Arkham City, so I don't feel too cheated.
Fraeon
(08-28-2012, 08:14 PM)
Yeah, I tried the game, it was pretty damn dead. Shame, since it really could be a fun game... if it had people playing it.
cametall
(08-28-2012, 08:15 PM)
Bought it on PSN at release. The stat wipe bug and Monolith's reluctance to do anything about it killed the game for me.

Got my level and coins back but lost my awesome stats and calling cards.
LiK
(08-28-2012, 08:17 PM)
well, I have it free on PS+ and part of the Batman bundle in Steam sale so I have all the DLC. Looks like I'm set.
evangd007
(08-28-2012, 08:18 PM)

Originally Posted by 1-D_FTW

Unless they ditch GFWL it won't matter. No shooter should ever be a GFWL game. And unless they correct this fatal flaw, it'll remain a dead game.

Unfortunately this. I was interested until I learned it was GFWL. I do anything I can to avoid that service.
ScreenSplitter
(08-28-2012, 08:19 PM)
This always looked like a really interesting, zany FPS with TF2 overtones. Look forward to playing.
Azure Phoenix
(08-28-2012, 08:30 PM)
I absolutely loved the game when it came out, ended up putting a few hundred hours in over the first few months. Problem is that it had severe matchmaking, lobby, party and lag issues that never got fixed and the community challenge support completely dried up.

I'm not surprised the PC version is going F2P, that version suffered the most with horribly delayed DLC and the most matchmaking issues - it was completely dead a month after release.
bhlaab
(08-28-2012, 08:31 PM)
As someone who bought Blood 2 on gog the other week and have been trying to play it

FUCK EM
Haunted
(08-28-2012, 08:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Beelzeboss

Probably smart business to get some money out of the die-hard fanbase (although I dunno how much franchise appeal this has with its spoof of Batman and co.) before making it F2P, even if the game is laid out for that with microtransactions and whatnot in the first place.

That said, with people saying the community is dead etc, they probably don't have any other choice.
zeelman
(08-28-2012, 08:38 PM)
I was thinking about playing this game the other day. Hopefully this will attract people to the game again.
dark_inferno
(08-28-2012, 08:47 PM)
I paid 15 for it... now make a good matchmaking system and i even forget being angry about paying for that game.
GuitarAtomik
(08-28-2012, 08:51 PM)
The game is fun. It's kind of CoD mixed with Shadowrun '07. I do agree that the unlocks take way too long to get though and it makes it pretty blatant that they want you to pay for them (which has been an option since launch). It would have been ok if it was skewed this way for the cosmtic stuff but it's a little unexcusable for the weapons, equipment, and perks. At least the preset classes have most everything available to you so it's not pay to win.
-Cade
(08-28-2012, 09:03 PM)
Just called this a couple days ago after someone gifted it to me. I love it, I have a lot of fun with it, and I remarked it'd do really well if it went F2P. BAM!

That's how I roll.

It was kind of dead when I played so I'm happy for the change.
Prezhulio
(08-28-2012, 09:06 PM)
the free ps+ version ran like complete garbage. played the tutorial, let it look for a game for several minutes, and eventually turned it off.

also, as someone else said, it was basically f2p already with all the nickel and diming unlocks. i'll probably install it on my pc if it actually goes f2p and check it out there though.
Dyno
(08-28-2012, 09:21 PM)
At this point developers like this are basically running a scam. The game was F2P from top to bottom right from the get-go. They put out a $15 beta only they didn't call it that. Then once interest is down they release their game as the model it was meant to be.

It's a cash grab, pure and simple. I think companies that do this are shit.
Fancy Corndog
(08-28-2012, 09:27 PM)
I played the demo on PSN and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll download it and give it another shot.
mattbison
Banned
(08-28-2012, 09:28 PM)
i bought it on launch lol
EdibleExplosives
(08-28-2012, 09:29 PM)
I'm glad to hear this, I never got around to buying it even though I really enjoyed the demo.
LonelyGreyWolf
(08-28-2012, 09:34 PM)
Will it be free on Xbox 360 too? It won't, right? Microsoft would have a heart-attack if something was free in XBLA. Then again, there are a few free XBLA games so maybe, just maybe...
kamspy
(08-28-2012, 09:44 PM)
Been meaning to play this since I found out Monolith made it. Guess I'll wait now.
Miker
(08-28-2012, 10:01 PM)
Does GFWL even support F2P? Or will it be converted to Steamworks somehow?
PsychoWARD23
(08-28-2012, 10:02 PM)
I regret buying this.
Toppot
(08-28-2012, 10:03 PM)
Game looked very interesting, just didn't get round to picking it up, now, it doesn't matter. Hope the F2Pness isn't too bad, TF2 level would be fine.
wwm0nkey
(08-28-2012, 10:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Miker

Microsoft is now supporting Free to Play games with Happy Wars and Ascend.

Knowing this the game might also go F2P on consoles.
Apdiddy
(08-28-2012, 10:06 PM)
I'm glad I didn't buy this -- I played the demo on Xbox Live and just didn't like it. I thought it was too much like Team Fortress 2 but with Batman/Joker characters and minus the charm of TF2. It felt like a cash grab than a decent game.
Miker
(08-28-2012, 10:17 PM)

Originally Posted by wwm0nkey

Microsoft is now supporting Free to Play games with Happy Wars and Ascend.

Knowing this the game might also go F2P on consoles.

Didn't know this, thanks.
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals
(08-28-2012, 10:30 PM)

Same hahaha
AppleMIX
(08-28-2012, 10:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Miker

Age of Empire Online is also a F2P game that uses GFWL.
Camp Lo
(08-28-2012, 10:32 PM)
That game was horrible to play so this will entice no one