• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces HarmoKnight (Gamefreak's eShop rhythm platformer)

From Iwata Asks:

-Game was the idea of GF employee James Turner (UK), 3D Graphic artist and designer of Vanilux-line and Vullaby.
-Around 1.5 years between original idea and now.
-Produced by Pokemon game director, Masuda.
- Masuda comments on difficult of starting non-Pokemon projects at the company due to the focus on Pokemon games.
-Game spent first 6 months being developed as a side-scrolling DS game
- Originally only had one playable character, but added more to allow for more variety in play styles. Now has 3.
- Thought hard about including Pokemon music as it may break immersion.

zroid

Banned
jJWqNrl2Pw7mj.png

Kade

Hopefully Nintendo gets all or most of their studios to work on smaller eShop games as well. IntSys did a really awesome job with Pushmo/Pullblox and this is looking nice, too.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Dat style, it reminds me of something. I've already seen something similar to that style. I want it as soon as possible.

Looks great, but it also makes me wish Game Freak would branch out from Pokemon (which I haven't given a shit about for over a decade) more often and make original projects like this, Jill Dozer and Pulseman.

I don't think they would do that as it would require a lot of time. Even the small sprites they use now use scaling to animate, which doesn't look good.

sRn87.gif

Lots of marionette-style animation in those sprites. I don't think they put much more effort into it than 3D animation.

Galang

Banned
I NEED this! Looks incredible!!!!! Was kind of disappointed at the Pokemon music inclusion, but changed my mind when the battle music started playing at the end. The 2D style map is a really nice touch too.

I NEED this! Looks incredible!!!!! Was kind of disappointed at the Pokemon music inclusion, but changed my mind when the battle music started playing at the end. The 2D style map is a really nice touch too.

pretty sure the Pokemon music is optional/selectable, or at least part of not required to complete the game, from Iwata Laughs.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Seeing the art and other characters makes me hope there's a bit of a storyline to add some charm.

Demo is amazing. You get plenty to play and it's responsive and challenging at times. Looks like there will be more than one character too and they seem to play differently. Definitely buying this next week!

Top Bottom