• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

slaughterking
(08-31-2012, 12:04 PM)

You asked for it: A moment-to-moment recollection of the Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes demo that just debuted in Tokyo, discussing everything we saw and know (hint: not much!) about the story, characters, graphics and gameplay. Hear just what it is that’s got us so damn excited.

Time – Topic Discussed:
4:15 – Metal Gear Event
56:35 – Answering Your Questions
1:09:42 – Closing Comments

Running time: 1:13:41

Direct Download

iTunes

RSS feed

8-4 Play Facebook

8-4 Play Twitter

Giant Bomb
Buttonbasher
(08-31-2012, 12:05 PM)
(!)
Toki767
(08-31-2012, 12:08 PM)
Finally we know where these particular industry sources came from!
DieH@rd
(08-31-2012, 12:08 PM)
Alucrid
(08-31-2012, 12:09 PM)
Yes, perfect to listen to as I move into my new place.
Kaako
Felium Defensor
(08-31-2012, 12:11 PM)
MGS talk? I'll listen to it tonight at work!
Minion101
(08-31-2012, 12:14 PM)
Can't wait till this comes out next year.
Jb
(08-31-2012, 12:19 PM)
How weird is that that the 8-4 guys know more about the game than the entire gaming press? Downloading right now.
Mr. RHC
(08-31-2012, 12:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Jay-B

How weird is that that the 8-4 guys know more about the game than the entire gaming press? Downloading right now.

Because Mark MacDonald was at the event, he also brought us some of the tweets.

http://twitter.com/markmacd

Edit: All of them were, apparently.
Huff
(08-31-2012, 12:28 PM)
Hope there's more to it than just restating all their tweets
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(08-31-2012, 12:28 PM)
Are any of the guys at the Final Fantasy event today?

(I'm Thunder Boss, pretty cool)
Last edited by StuBurns; 08-31-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Mr. RHC
(08-31-2012, 12:36 PM)
Damn, I think I need to stop listening... so awesome how they are describing the demo.
Sn4ke_911
If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
(08-31-2012, 12:42 PM)
Listening to it right now. Thanks!
The Omega Man
(08-31-2012, 01:01 PM)
it's not showing on the Canadian itunes, the last episode there is from August 24th, I'll wait to a little to see if the episode shows up, if not I'll have to go with a direct download
Blastoise
(08-31-2012, 01:15 PM)
MGS Hype Train!!!!!
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(08-31-2012, 01:21 PM)
I had no idea the demo was so long and 'gameplay' filled. I imagined it was just a couple of minutes, and not directly as per the way the game would ultimately be played. It sounds like the gameplay demo for MGS4 from the 20th anniversary event. It's really strange to think they showed a decent chunk of the game before they've even officially announced it.
Snitch
(08-31-2012, 01:24 PM)
listening now!
demidar
(08-31-2012, 01:34 PM)
Metal Gear?!
Chairhome
(08-31-2012, 01:50 PM)
Dang, you guys are quick. And we get the already recorded SNES edition 8-4 podcast next week? WE ARE SPOILED.
Gomu Gomu
(08-31-2012, 01:51 PM)
Wasn't the episode this week supposed to be a special about the SNES or something like that? Anyway, I'll take a new 8-4 Play no matter what it's about :D.
DieH@rd
(08-31-2012, 01:52 PM)
Great episode.

I will riot if they dont release new video @ pax.
The Return of
(08-31-2012, 01:55 PM)

Originally Posted by slaughterking

Giant Bomb

ugh, remove this shit, it's not the right link.
slaughterking
(08-31-2012, 01:58 PM)
That link is correct.
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(08-31-2012, 01:58 PM)
how mini mini?

I have not slept yet... but cannot miss any 8-4
The Return of
(08-31-2012, 01:59 PM)

That link is correct.

No it's not, I just listened to the podcast on that link. Double check your source before you post it. That's not the MGS Ground Zero podcast.
slaughterking
(08-31-2012, 02:00 PM)
It's the link to the Giant Bomb page for the 8-4 play podcast. It just hasn't updated yet.
Nibel
(08-31-2012, 02:01 PM)
All that hype

in my veins

LiK
(08-31-2012, 02:04 PM)
A lil disappointed they didn't recap the events/presentations in detail before the demo. Glad John tried tho. FYI Mark and JJ, not everyone was following the event live so skipping everything beforehand was a mistake, imo.
Celegus
(08-31-2012, 02:07 PM)
Surprise 8-4 = happy friday!
ultron87
(08-31-2012, 02:09 PM)
Oh damn! I wish I had seen this before I drove into work.

Originally Posted by Gomu Gomu

Wasn't the episode this week supposed to be a special about the SNES or something like that? Anyway, I'll take a new 8-4 Play no matter what it's about :D.

Since they're usually bi-weekly I think they are still going to do the already recorded SNES special next week.
pharmboy044
(08-31-2012, 02:13 PM)
The beginning of this podcast just sends chills down my spine. Some great MGS memories.
Snitch
(08-31-2012, 02:16 PM)
nice podcast. can't wait to see the trailer now :<
LiK
(08-31-2012, 02:42 PM)
JJ: "He dresses like a slob." LOL
Celegus
(08-31-2012, 05:39 PM)
Great podcast as always, and the game sounds great. I much prefer the version of "Here's to you" on the MGS4 soundtrack than the one at the end of the cast, so hopefully that's the one in the game.
Supreme Stephan
(08-31-2012, 05:42 PM)
Very insightful podcast.
Sky Chief
(08-31-2012, 10:12 PM)
Good explanations but I am very disappointed that none of them have played Peace Walker. They didn't even know if Snake's patch in the demo was for MSF. Come on guys, get with the times.
matrix-cat
(08-31-2012, 10:54 PM)
They say the child prisoner in the base is around 10, white with blonde hair. Obviously Young Liquid confirmed.
Razgriz-Specter
(08-31-2012, 11:09 PM)

Originally Posted by matrix-cat

They say the child prisoner in the base is around 10, white with blonde hair. Obviously Young Liquid confirmed.

That was my first thought as well.
Gouda Jouji
(08-31-2012, 11:14 PM)

Liquid isn't a natural blonde, according to Shinkawa. His hair was bleached by the sun while he was serving in the Middle East. He continued to bleach it himself from then on.

But something like that can be easily retconned, I suppose.
RetroDLC
(08-31-2012, 11:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Tguy

No it's not, I just listened to the podcast on that link. Double check your source before you post it. That's not the MGS Ground Zero podcast.

That is the main page for 8-4 on the Giant Bomb website. Though the page now shows the latest episode, it is not under direct control by 8-4 and it does have a small delay for being updated, so it is the right link to have considering it's the same standard URL given in every one of these new show topics.
Last edited by RetroDLC; 08-31-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Razgriz-Specter
(08-31-2012, 11:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Gouda Jouji

Liquid isn't a natural blonde, according to Shinkawa. His hair was bleached by the sun while he was serving in the Middle East. He continued to bleach it himself from then on.

But something like that can be easily retconned, I suppose.

they originally said Solid was blond but I think they retconned that.
Last edited by Razgriz-Specter; 08-31-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Vyse The Legend
Wiser than thou
(08-31-2012, 11:27 PM)

Did no one play MGS1? Solid Snake has blond long hair. He dyes his hair and cuts it short to avoid being mistaken for Liquid.

He had the long blond hair in the first cutscenes when the Colonel is recruiting him.
HamPster PamPster
(08-31-2012, 11:28 PM)
The game sounds interesting I guess but I can't get excited for a new MGS game set in the same clusterfuck timeline they have going. And calling it Ground Zeroes of all things... zero to one to one hundred to the zero the zero the zero the zero
matrix-cat
(08-31-2012, 11:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Vyse The Legend

Did no one play MGS1? Solid Snake has blond long hair. He dyes his hair and cuts it short to avoid being mistaken for Liquid.

He had the long blond hair in the first cutscenes when the Colonel is recruiting him.

He has long hair in the mission briefing, which isn't in colour, and at the end he asks Naomi for a pair of scissors so he can cut his hair. He never asks if she happens to have any brunette hair dye on her.
Gouda Jouji
(08-31-2012, 11:31 PM)

He only cuts it in MGS1. He never asks for hair dye. The coloring of his hair in the MGS1 briefing scene is probably a mistake, or just lighting. Plus, in Metal Gear 1 & 2 his hair is brown.

Originally Posted by Razgriz-Specter

they originally said Solid was blond but I think they retconned that.

That's early Pliskin concept art. Snake was originally going to dye his blonde to further disguise himself in MGS2.
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(08-31-2012, 11:31 PM)

Those kinds of things can't really be taken as fact anymore though. The games are retconning huge things like the age of Big Boss at the time of the LET project, the hair colour of specific characters certainly is open to being changed at the drop of a hat to fit any new story beat required.
Vyse The Legend
Wiser than thou
(08-31-2012, 11:37 PM)

He has long hair in the mission briefing, which isn't in colour, and at the end he asks Naomi for a pair of scissors so he can cut his hair. He never asks if she happens to have any brunette hair dye on her.

He only cuts it in MGS1. He never asks for hair dye. The coloring of his hair in the MGS1 briefing scene is probably a mistake, or just lighting. Plus, in Metal Gear 1 & 2 his hair is brown.

That's early Pliskin concept art. Snake was originally going to dye his blonde to further disguise himself in MGS2.

You don't need to see him dye his hair right there and then. He isn't in a boutique. He is also the clone with the recessive genes. Blonde is recessive.

As Pliskin, he was suppose to have his blond hair also. What's more likely is...

Originally Posted by StuBurns

Those kinds of things can't really be taken as fact anymore though. The games are retconning huge things like the age of Big Boss at the time of the LET project, the hair colour of specific characters certainly is open to being changed at the drop of a hat to fit any new story beat required.

As with many things, they retconned it -- or, simply kept him with his iconic brunette look throughout the rest of the series. It isn't worth over thinking, honestly.

But, it makes more sense for a young Solid Snake to meet Big Boss than a young Liquid.
Last edited by Vyse The Legend; 08-31-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Razgriz-Specter
(08-31-2012, 11:39 PM)

yeah but I think it supposedly from the short period where he was going to be originally blond by Yoji but Kojima disagreed with it.
The Return of
(08-31-2012, 11:40 PM)

It's the link to the Giant Bomb page for the 8-4 play podcast. It just hasn't updated yet.

Originally Posted by RetroDLC

That is the main page for 8-4 on the Giant Bomb website. Though the page now shows the latest episode, it is not under direct control by 8-4 and it does have a small delay for being updated, so it is the right link to have considering it's the same standard URL given in every one of these new show topics.

Yeah, my bad. Just did a long drive, listening to this. Sounds pretty awesome, will suck if we don't see it this weekend lol.
FStop7
(08-31-2012, 11:43 PM)
Man it's been a long time since a game warranted a special episode of a podcast.

Good times.