• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer Oct WiiU Info (NSMBU/NintendoLand) [Don't Post Scans, Even Digital Ones]

IrishNinja

goddamn, can't wait for next thursday. liking what im seeing here - be even better if nintendoland gets Metroid back in people's (or their) interest, and Balloon Fight at least a new eshop title.

totowhoa

Banned
New Super Mario World sounds great. SMB3 is by far my favorite 2D Mario but they've kind of tapped that well dry. At least I hope this shuts people up a bit about "all the NSMB games are the same."

That won't change until the games do something more progressive with their visuals and music. Presentation is a big part of progressing a series, which is why games like CoD and Madden get railed on from time to time. They'll definitely to shake those elements up before people change their tune, more than likely.

jmls1121

Banned
I think most of us had the feeling like they were putting in quite more effort to NSMBU than the 3DS title.

The news about NintendoLand is the really surprising stuff here...this is shaping up to be Wii Sports for the core gamer...really unique gameplay concepts.

Hype levels just went up a few notches.

RagnarokX

Desert World:
NeKaH.jpg

Layer Cake Desert:
U5uG0.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That won't change until the games do something more progressive with their visuals and music. Presentation is a big part of progressing a series, which is why games like CoD and Madden get railed on from time to time. They'll definitely to shake those elements up before people change their tune, more than likely.

So far they've stuck to their policy of only making one "New" SMB game per platform.

Ergo, any 2d Mario games they make for Wii U or 3DS next won't be NSMB themed.

And naturally, every other 2D platformer they've produced for the last six years - which is actually quite a few - have featured a wild variety of aesthetics.

Oersted

NSMBU at least fixed one of my complaints, which was generic worlds and world order.

Keep the level design tight and it sounds worth my money.

as a far as i remember one of the guys (don´t remember his name) in iwata asks talking about nsmb2 and nsmbu, basically said nsmbu will be the better game because they invested more time into it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
as a far as i remember one of the guys (don´t remember his name) in iwata asks talking about nsmb2 and nsmbu, basically said nsmbu will be the better game because they invested more time into it.

There is that. Though another point is that NSMB2 seems to have been a training wheel project for a fresh team of designers. And that's one area where most people seem to have ended up being happy - the actual level design of the courses in NSMB2 is great.

cube444

I bought NSMBWii three years ago and I didn't play it (and finish it) until 2 weeks ago. It sat at a friend's place for a year and two years at my place. :lol

Loved it.

Looking forward to the Wii U version.

totowhoa

Banned
So far they've stuck to their policy of only making one "New" SMB game per platform.

And naturally, every other 2D platformer they've produced for the last six years - which is actually quite a few - have featured a wild variety of aesthetics.

Yeah, I'm aware. Just wish they'd mix it up a bit more at this point for Mario as well. Either there's something fundamentally problematic with the art style, or perhaps it's that there's not much evolution between entries. SM64>SMS>SMG>SMG2 all more or less bear similar art styles, but they've built upon one another in one way or another. At any rate, I'm not really that concerned about the visuals anyway and this conversation has probably already been driven into the ground at this point I'm sure. So far all the changes and updates they've announced have me excited.

RagnarokX

... you really shouldn't do that

I'm just trying to point out it's silly to get hyped over an old trope because of a name change. SMW had food-related area names too and that meant nothing. Wait for a screenshot before getting your hopes up. It's most likely just going to be the desert trope with maybe a cake theme.

I'm just trying to point out it's silly to get hyped over an old trope because of a name change. SMW had food-related area names too and that meant nothing. Wait for a screenshot before getting your hopes up. It's most likely just going to be the desert trope with maybe a cake theme.

Let them eat cake.

Kouichi

Wow. I wasn't expecting the NSMBU details to interest me so much. The SMW map and boost mode especially sound great. I don't plan to get a Wii U until a year or two later but I still want this and NintendoLand. I expect them to be great local multiplayer games.

Yeah, I'm aware. Just wish they'd mix it up a bit more at this point for Mario as well. Either there's something fundamentally problematic with the art style, or perhaps it's that there's not much evolution between entries. SM64>SMS>SMG>SMG2 all more or less bear similar art styles, but they've built upon one another in one way or another. At any rate, I'm not really that concerned about the visuals anyway and this conversation has probably already been driven into the ground at this point I'm sure. So far all the changes and updates they've announced have me excited.

Each of those 3D games added new mechanics in Mario's arsenal of jumps, attacks, and flips. And when Mario has new moves, this greatly affects the level design.

If you put FLUDD Mario into Galaxy, he'd break the game. Same with Galaxy Mario into 64. And the levels in 64 are quite different from Galaxy.

So it's not even about visuals. It's about "pure gameplay." The NSMB series isn't really defensible on the grounds of pure gameplay because it's not changing anything up at all. A level in NSMB2 could easily have been in NSMB:Wii, and I wouldn't know the difference. Everything else (except a few suits) plays the same.

I can't help but think that the "new" world map in NSMB:Zzzz is every bit the aesthetic window dressing that a new art style would be. Great, so you can play the levels in a new order. Where's the fresh gameplay? It's the same butt-stomp and triple jump mechanics. The same physics. It plays the same.

Each of those 3D games added new mechanics in Mario's arsenal of jumps, attacks, and flips. And when Mario has new moves, this greatly affects the level design.

If you put FLUDD Mario into Galaxy, he'd break the game. Same with Galaxy Mario into 64. And the levels in 64 are quite different from Galaxy.

So it's not even about visuals. It's about "pure gameplay." The NSMB series isn't really defensible on the grounds of pure gameplay because it's not changing anything up at all. A level in NSMB2 could easily have been in NSMB:Wii, and I wouldn't know the difference. Everything else (except a few suits) plays the same.

I can't help but think that the "new" world map in NSMB:Zzzz is every bit the aesthetic window dressing that a new art style would be. Great, so you can play the levels in a new order. Where's the fresh gameplay? It's the same butt-stomp and triple jump mechanics. The same physics. It plays the same.
You say it's not defensible on those grounds, but that might be precisely the point. Those grounds are not ones NSMB is attempting to do battle on.

For better or worse, it is a series of nostalgia and imitation of the old days. The order for revolution is on EAD Tokyo's shoulders with the 3D Mario games.

For the group that wants both ground-up redesigns as well as 2D gameplay, I am not sure that is coming (or was ever intended to come) from New Super Mario Bros.

matm666

Yeap, people like to criticize Nintendo for doing this with Mario but thats the way they planned it, they obviously can do other art styles and put other gamplay elements if they want, but this has worked so far, and they will change this eventually.

The information on Super Mario Bros is great.

It pretty much single handedly turned me from "lol Wii U, you won't trick me like you did with the Wii" to "Start looking at price/release-date information".

Fuck Mario, Fuck Smash Bros, and their brand power over me...

cacildo

Metroid Blast

Yeah, i know what this is*: probably a kick ass minigame, something that could be made in a full game. Amazing, fun and innovative. But just a minigame.

And you´re left thinking "whoa! this is great! I bet that for now on the big games will copy this gameplay and it will be incredible!!!"

And then... nothing.

*i dont know what this is. im just betting because, obviously, we saw the same thing happening on the wii

b3b0p

Mario sounds awesome!

Nintendoland actually sounds surprisingly quite fun. Looking forward to this now from these notes.

RAWi

NSMBU is shaping up to be amazing. Worlds sound less generic. Overall seems to be more ambitious than previous games.

Seems like it.

From some perspective we could say that inside the New Super Mario Bros. series ->

[1] New Super Mario Bros., is the first to appear in the series, bringing back 2D Mario.
[2] New Super Mario Bros., Wii would come to be an evolution of the game, to make a better 2D Mario.
[Spinoff] New Super Mario Bros. 2, just going for some different mechanics, but not improving the game necessarily. Just following already established improvements.
[3] New Super Mario Bros. U, making the modern 2D Mario formula a perfect formula, improving everything.

Ranger X

The jump from those games to this is jarring. Nintendo have become very comfortable with imitating their classics, rather than trying to take 2D gaming to the next plateau.

To be honest ( I didn't expect that before playing) there was so much originality and new gameplays in NSMBWii that it pretty much erase the possible existence of your quoted comment there. Every level of that game was bringing something new that not only I never saw in a Mario game before but also some new stuff that I had simply never seen ever elsewhere. NSMBWii might have been an exception but it's not just a repeated classic. Or maybe people don't see that. And never in a million years I ever expected a new 2D Mario to be better than SMB3 and World, but I have to be honest, NSMBWii floored me. Totally. In a way, I fear for NSMBU because the bar is extremely high now.

Top Bottom