• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

IOnEI Falcon
(09-10-2012, 04:40 PM)
This video includes the first 18 minutes of the unreleased game Dinosaur Planet from boot up to the end of Krystal's first chapter. It also includes 40 additional minutes of Sabre and Krystal gameplay throughout the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVBRJToVDY

More Dinosaur Planet material can be found here: http://rareminion.com/dp.html
Lupin the Third
(09-10-2012, 04:48 PM)
Neat! Watching now!
Shiggy
(09-10-2012, 04:49 PM)
Long live the king Amir.
Nemesis_
(09-10-2012, 04:50 PM)
.....so does this mean a full (well, as full as it can be) version of the game exists somewhere? =D
OldJadedGamer
Banned
(09-10-2012, 04:55 PM)
I played this myself at E3 Atlanta in 1998 I think.
Shiggy
(09-10-2012, 04:57 PM)
The music is just amazing.
IOnEI Falcon
(09-10-2012, 05:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Shiggy

Yeah, it really is! The music really gives the game that atmosphere that gets you sucked into a Rare game.
SuomiDude
(09-10-2012, 05:11 PM)
I don't know, I thought I'd never say this, but I'm glad it turned into Star Fox Adventures. This game looks good for an N64 game, some nice stuff going on, but too dark, low framerate and the game just seems so slow in every way. The music is good quality, but bad compositions. The beginning of the game felt like it fell apart already in its first minutes. The voice acting sucks and so on.

Although SFA wasn't a top quality game, I think the decision was for the better.
IOnEI Falcon
(09-10-2012, 05:28 PM)
I don't know if we can fully say the decision was for the better. I mean, this is an unpolished and unfinished game we are comparing SFA to you know?
Criminal Upper
Banned
(09-10-2012, 05:41 PM)
Just recently played a few hours of Star Fox Adventures, and despite the graphics and animation still holding up really well, it's still a very medicore and unremarkable game.
SuomiDude
(09-10-2012, 05:42 PM)

Originally Posted by IOnEI Falcon

I don't know if we can fully say the decision was for the better. I mean, this is an unpolished and unfinished game we are comparing SFA to you know?

I was actually about to edit my post saying the same, but decided not to. I guess I should've... Yeah, it really is unfair to compare these games especially since they're on different platforms. But watching that video of Dinosaur Planet made me yawn and I was forcing myself to watch the whole video (in the end I actually skipped parts of it because I was so bored). When SFA was shown, I was actually very excited for it, and couldn't wait to see new videos all the time, so I think it says enough about these games for me personally.
Dead Man
I got d 2 tha eepdicked
d-e-e-p-d-i-c-k-e-d
(09-10-2012, 05:43 PM)
Looks good to me. Hard to differentiate the nostalgia from the cynicism.
The Hermit
(09-10-2012, 05:49 PM)

its an old Rare game alright
IOnEI Falcon
(09-10-2012, 06:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Baiano19

its an old Rare game alright

Is there any Rare game with a bad soundtrack?
Razek
Banned
(09-10-2012, 06:36 PM)
Wow, that snow part looks incredible, frame rate aside. Like a really low end PS2 game, and yeah, the music is good!
Shiggy
(09-10-2012, 06:46 PM)
So that part actually wasn't a Scales battle, just the test of fear. I'd love to know how far along this version was as Fox still uses Krystal sound samples.
IOnEI Falcon
(09-10-2012, 07:02 PM)

So that part actually wasn't a Scales battle, just the test of fear. I'd love to know how far along this version was as Fox still uses Krystal sound samples.

Yeah...looks like that clip was from the Test of Combat part of the game.

And yeah, not only the sound samples but the health graphics.
Guerrillas in the Mist
(09-10-2012, 07:06 PM)
Technically very impressive for an N64 title, even if it was going to be a late one. SFA ended up looking great on the Cube, if I remember correctly, which is surprising when you look at the track record of titles that have been bumped up a generation.
TeethMummy
NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
(09-10-2012, 07:18 PM)
was expecting this to be another Shiggy Rare Troll thread.
drspeedy
(09-10-2012, 07:30 PM)
I love this kind of stuff... As someone who thought SFA was a pretty good game (until the last couple of blatantly unfinished levels), I'm always amazed how good it looked before and after the N64 version.

Even finished, it has a certain 64-era feel that just catches my eyes, not sure if its the lighting or character models/animation or what, but this and Eternal Darkness both have some almost unexplainable feeling not in most GC games.
Last edited by drspeedy; 09-10-2012 at 07:33 PM.
IOnEI Falcon
(09-10-2012, 07:31 PM)

Originally Posted by TeethMummy

I am building your confidence up in me first...then when you least expect it...I can tear you down, haha!
Casual Gamera
(09-10-2012, 07:38 PM)

Originally Posted by OldJadedGamer

I played this myself at E3 Atlanta in 1998 I think.

I briefly played it at ECTS around the same time.
RockmanWhore
(09-10-2012, 07:39 PM)

I can't think of any, even Kinnect Sports has an awesome theme song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pi9y4Pu-t0

Nintendo should have kidnapped the musicians working at here before selling the studio to Microsoft.
drspeedy
(09-10-2012, 07:56 PM)
As I'm watching this I can't help but think that a lot of good changes were made once it became SFA... like the first person magic bits (Seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVBR...ilpage#t=2130s), but it's obvious this was a great game before it got re-purposed.

Thanks for sharing this!
Ein Bear
(09-10-2012, 08:07 PM)
Thank you so much for posting this, I've wanted to have a good look at Dinosaur Planet for years. Amazing the sort of stuff Rare were doing with the N64, they really were tech gods.
M-PG71C
(09-10-2012, 08:09 PM)
I really wanted to see this come out as the original IP it should've been. It would have been a more amazing game for it.
jonno394
(09-10-2012, 08:10 PM)
SFA is an enjoyable game but i always felt weird playing as fox. I wish they'd have kept the original idea.
IOnEI Falcon
(09-10-2012, 08:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Ein Bear

Thank you so much for posting this, I've wanted to have a good look at Dinosaur Planet for years. Amazing the sort of stuff Rare were doing with the N64, they really were tech gods.

Yeah they were! This would have been as impressive on the Nintendo 64 as SFA was on the GameCube.
Yka
(09-10-2012, 08:40 PM)
Great stuff! Is this a ROM played on an emulator (there's some audio glitches)? I would buy this in a heart beat from Virtual Console.

Jet Force Gemini could have been a great Star Fox game but Dinosaur Planet not so much...

On foot Star Fox should play like Jet Force Gemini/Ratchet & Clank.
Last edited by Yka; 09-10-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Alchemy
(09-10-2012, 08:53 PM)
Looks great, too bad they had to shove an established IP in there on top of everything.
crankypants
(09-10-2012, 09:06 PM)
I believe it was shown and playable at an LA E3 (1999?), because I was in an interview with Miyamoto and asked him what he though about Rare's Dinosaur Planet and its animal heroes...in his answer he did mention something about possibly working with them to turn it into a Star Fox game.
IOnEI Falcon
(09-10-2012, 09:09 PM)

Originally Posted by crankypants

I believe it was shown and playable at an LA E3 (1999?), because I was in an interview with Miyamoto and asked him what he though about Rare's Dinosaur Planet and its animal heroes...in his answer he did mention something about possibly working with them to turn it into a Star Fox game.

Oh wow! Pretty crazy!
Grisby
(09-11-2012, 02:06 AM)
This was a lot of fun to watch. Thanks for posting mate.
blixa
Banned
(09-11-2012, 02:12 AM)
looked great and atmospheric.
really want new conker 64 footage, though..
IOnEI Falcon
(09-11-2012, 02:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Grisby

This was a lot of fun to watch. Thanks for posting mate.

Yeah, no problem! That is what I hope people get out of it. It was really fun to watch for me too!

Originally Posted by blixa

looked great and atmospheric.
really want new conker 64 footage, though..

I might or might not have something for you at a later time... ;)
Last edited by IOnEI Falcon; 09-11-2012 at 02:38 AM.
blixa
Banned
(09-11-2012, 02:37 AM)

I might or might not have something for you at a later time...

counted on it.
care to elaborate via pm?
it's one of many cancelled games i've really researched over the years and yearned for.
there should be a copy out in collector circles.
Last edited by blixa; 09-11-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Snkfanatic
(09-11-2012, 02:37 AM)
Man that music....
IOnEI Falcon
(09-11-2012, 03:39 AM)

Originally Posted by blixa

counted on it.
care to elaborate via pm?
it's one of many cancelled games i've really researched over the years and yearned for.
there should be a copy out in collector circles.

Supposedly there is one copy out in the wild but the person who might have it hasn't been heard from in years.
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(09-11-2012, 03:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Guerrillas in the Mist

Technically very impressive for an N64 title, even if it was going to be a late one. SFA ended up looking great on the Cube, if I remember correctly, which is surprising when you look at the track record of titles that have been bumped up a generation.

There was stuff Rare did in SFA that developers couldn't be arsed to do even on the Wii
blixa
Banned
(09-11-2012, 03:47 AM)

Supposedly there is one copy out in the wild but the person who might have it hasn't been heard from in years.

deceased. who knows where it's now..
Last edited by blixa; 09-11-2012 at 03:53 AM.
AtomicShroom
(09-11-2012, 04:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Yka

Is this a ROM played on an emulator (there's some audio glitches)?

Don't think so... This doesn't sound like the kind of audio glitches an emulator would cause. They sound more like some sort of analog interference in the wires used to capture.
Platy
(09-11-2012, 04:09 AM)

While not bad, Blast Corps weird choice of soundtrack does stand out a little, even being a very good soundtrack.
IOnEI Falcon
(09-11-2012, 04:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Platy

While not bad, Blast Corps weird choice of soundtrack does stand out a little, even being a very good soundtrack.

Haha, who did that one? Mr. Norgate I think.
Platy
(09-11-2012, 04:33 AM)
The soundtrack is really good ... but you stop to think about the sanity of the developers who put this happy country techno mix in a game about an unstopable truck with nuclear weapons that might explode at any moment.
Shiggy
(09-11-2012, 06:28 AM)

pfft

So this material looks a little bit like the E3 version, though it includes much more places and the entire beginning. Actually, to me it looks like it was cut together from different builts as the boss fight at the ending still shows Krystal together with Tricky. Was Sabre perhaps not implemented at that time? Or wasn't he even planned?
dimb
Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
(09-11-2012, 06:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Criminal Upper

Just recently played a few hours of Star Fox Adventures, and despite the graphics and animation still holding up really well, it's still a very medicore and unremarkable game.

What, were you expecting it to get better with age or something?
fernoca
(09-11-2012, 06:34 AM)

Hahaha...something like:
"Rare: Dinosaur Planet Gameplay"
During TGS or the VGAs... :p

But yeah, the game looks good as expected, but doubt the game would've been any better. The main problem to me with the end product was the "collect-a-thon apect; which (whatever was left of) Rare made fun of on Nuts and Bolts. :p
Last edited by fernoca; 09-11-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Ranger X
Kohler: 1, Ranger X: 0

PS: Itoi > Kojima by a good green country mile
(09-11-2012, 07:01 AM)
Incredible what Rare could pull from an N64 really.
Darknessbear
(09-11-2012, 07:05 AM)
I just clicked the video thinking it was a new game. My head almost exploded. I'd love for a game company to do that though, just make a N64 graphical game.
linko9
(09-11-2012, 07:08 AM)
Wow, cool stuff, thanks for sharing! I actually thought the GC game was pretty good, but for whatever reason it just feels right to see a Rare game running on an n64.