• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2012 (Sep 10 - Sep 16)

evangd007

And it looks like its only going to get worse. I love my Vita but I hate how Sony is handling it. It's like they stop caring.

They are sticking to the "3rd parties will bail us out" plan despite the fact that such a thing clearly is not going to happen. They have no backup plan.

back to normal I see. What's the next big 3DS game in Japan? AC?

Big to medium sellers for 3DS for the rest of the year:
Animal Crossing
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Professor Layton x Ace Attorney
Paper Mario
Project X Zone
Bravely Default
Girl's Mode
Inazuma Eleven games (always forget these)

Erethian

I think the combination of the DS's success (foreshadowing the performance of its successor) plus Capcom's tight relationship with Nintendo essentially sealed the deal for 3DS development.

Let's not forget Sony's incredible incompetence either.

In fact it's just been one failed product launch after another since the PS3 was released. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence for the PS4.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Animal Crossing
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Paper Mario
Project X Zone
Bravely Default
Girl's Mode
Inazuma Eleven 1-2-3
Inazuma Eleven Go: Chrono Stone

Fixed.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
don't forget that it was easier to reuse the assests of tri for 3DS than vita
Um, no it wasn't? God Eater 2 has no problem with being a PSP game on Vita, Capcom would have no problem with having a game that doesn't fully utilize the hardware either... Just as they don't for E.X. Troopers and others on PS3...

Bruno MB

Animal Crossing
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Paper Mario
Project X Zone
Bravely Default
Girl's Mode

So we have 3 potential million sellers, not bad at all.

Animal Crossing 100%
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 70%
Paper Mario 25 - 50% (wild card)

Professor Layton x Ace Attorney 70 - 80% if it had been released 4 years ago.

Animal Crossing
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Paper Mario
Project X Zone
Bravely Default
Girl's Mode

Isn't there a normal Layton coming as well or did I imagine that?

Continuing from the previous MC thread:

The news of Sony discontinuing a product they pull billions of R&D into I think would hurt their credibility with investors. It wouldn't be a devastating blow to them financially, but just the negative stigma it would cause would not be good going into the PS4
I'll say that it is inevitable that the viability of the PS4 will be questioned regardless of if the Vita is cancelled before or after the console is launched.

On further reflection, I do think that saying Vita would be "quickly forgotten" was an overly hasty, hyperbolic choice of words on my part.

I think the truth of the matter is more along the lines of what Vic said: The failure of the Vita is already a pretty sizable albatross around SCE's neck. Considering the near-impossibility of a turnaround, the timing of Vita's death will only make an incremental difference, if that, in the size of that albatross.

massoluk

Banned
Man, I can't wait for Animal Crossing. Thing is going to be a blast with always-in-the-3DS Digital Copy and Street Pass.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm no video game expert, but why didn't Sony lock up MH for the Vita? Did Nintendo just beat them to it?

Nintendo helps market the games internationally. Tri was the best-selling international entry in the series because of Nintendo's help, so they probably thought it was best for both of them to continue the relationship.

There might have also been some moneyhatting, but that's speculation.

Man, I can't wait for Animal Crossing. Thing is going to be a blast with always-in-the-3DS Digital Copy and Street Pass.

Dude, I didn't even think of that. Should be great.

Hype slowly rising for AC: JU even though my interest has decreased significantly in each successive title...

Zenaku

I think the combination of the DS's success (foreshadowing the performance of its successor) plus Capcom's tight relationship with Nintendo essentially sealed the deal for 3DS development.

Personally, I think Capcom looked at Sony and Nintendo and decided Nintendo was the better deal.

On one hand you have a company - the portable console of which you for all intents and purposes saved with its best selling software - refusing to let you release a game in other territories unless you add stuff or package it with something (MH3rdP HD). On the other you have a company that helped market a game and even created a new controller just to please you (CCPro) and who is not only still willing to help you with marketing and controls (CPPro) but is even willing to let you release ports worldwide, and supply the servers themselves at that.

Capcom are often mocked for stupid decisions, but they'd have to be truly idiotic to choose Sony over Nintendo considering past cooperation.

Animal Crossing
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Paper Mario
Project X Zone
Bravely Default
Girl's Mode
There's also Ace Attorney 5. It won't be huge but 100K or more shouldn't be unreasonable.

Bulzeeb

Um, no it wasn't? God Eater 2 has no problem with being a PSP game on Vita, Capcom would have no problem with having a game that doesn't fully utilize the hardware either... Just as they don't for E.X. Troopers and others on PS3...

I am not saying that it was impossible but it still means more work to do, first they need to port the water battles to their vita/psp version then they need to upscale the textures to fit an HD display, I guess Capcom could have bothered to do that if the vita had a bigger user base though

Personally, I think Capcom looked at Sony and Nintendo and decided Nintendo was the better deal.

On one hand you have a company - the portable console of which you for all intents and purposes saved with its best selling software - refusing to let you release a game in other territories unless you add stuff or package it with something (MH3rdP HD). On the other you have a company that helped market a game and even created a new controller just to please you (CCPro) and who is not only still willing to help you with marketing and controls (CPPro) but is even willing to let you release ports worldwide, and supply the servers themselves at that.

Capcom are often mocked for stupid decisions, but they'd have to be truly idiotic to choose Sony over Nintendo considering past cooperation.

oh yeah, I forgot that sony put some restrictios for a release of portable third outside japan, so that counts too

DR2K

Banned
Man Tekken's numbers are pretty depressing, same with SCV, where did the fightign game fans go, lol?

Vita's yearly sales have been out done in less two months by a revision that doesn't replace the previous hardware. Something is very wrong here.
Yea, good thing I'm system agnostic & have my 3DS.. Just thought* Vita would be a PSP at worst and still give me plenty of content.

*hoped, wished, prayed. Not logically believed it would succeed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ace Attorney 5 is 2013, as well as Layton ( this one should be for Spring, though)

IMO the fighting games market is crashing again, especially in Europe and America. I think that DOA5 will perform badly too. The fact that both games release are so close will make the numbers for both even worse. P4A was succesfull because of the strenght of the franchise in Japan.
It's almost comedic, because the issue this time around isn't that the market is flooded with too many FG cash-ins, but that there are too many top-quality fighting games and a fixed/dwindling number of people interested in playing them.

I think the next wave of fighting games will need to focus on lowering the barrier to entry to grow the player base. TTT2 being a really goddamn complicated game with a roster of 60+ characters and limited in-game systems to teach it is one of the biggest strikes against it. Meanwhile with P4A you can still have a good time mashing A and dragon punch, plus there's that visual novel mode.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I am not saying that it was impossible but it still means more work to do, first they need to port the water battles to their vita/psp version then they need to upscale the textures to fit an HD display, I guess Capcom could have bothered to do that if the vita had a bigger user base though
They don't need to do any of those enhancements just as they barely did any for 3rd on PS3 and likely will repeat for 4 on WiiU. The 3DS didn't have any version of MonHun to begin with, the work they did on 3DS could have just as well been work done on a Vita game. Neither is easier. Actually, a Vita version could be easier since even a sloppier port could run decently, vs the 3DS where they need to do a better job in optimizing as it's a little underpowered. You didn't mention a PSP version previously but even if they wanted to add that on top then they'd just have worked on 3rdG instead of TriG. And then there's the matter of MonHun4 which may reuse some assets but has every environment new, that could have also been done on Vita, the monster etc assets would look good in higher res even with few if any enhancements, and the environments would have less restrictions to work with even if they left it all low end. Deciding to put these on 3DS has nothing to do with it being easier on the development side.

After TGS, it's pretty obvious that Sony is giving up on the vita. They will quietly just let it die.

I disagree. I feel that after TGS Sony sees more relevance and success in a Western market. This was evidenced at Gamescom - Sony is trying harder for a strong foothold in the west, instead of Japan.

Sony has another full year before the iPhone can leapfrog it's internal tech (quad + quad in Vita vs. dual and dual --maybe quad GPU- iPhone 5. Sony seems to have (own/partner with) a lot more western developers and have been hoping gamers/techies who are wanting tech, graphics and console/mobile portable gamers would obtain a Vita. It's strange to see a JP company giving up on a JP market, buti tpbelieve that's what Sony is doing. Competing where they are stronger, the west.

I disagree. I feel that after TGS Sony sees more relevance and success in a Western market. This was evidenced at Gamescom - Sony is trying harder for a strong foothold in the west, instead of Japan.

Sony has another full year before the iPhone can leapfrog it's internal tech (quad + quad in Vita vs. dual and dual --maybe quad GPU- iPhone. Sony seems to have a lot more western developers and is wanting the tech, graphics and mobile portable gamers to go with Vita. It's strange to see a JP company giving up on a JP market, buti tpbelieve that's what Sony is doing. Competing where they are stronger, the west.

If Sony consider their ideal Vita markets to be in the West, then they are idiots beyond compare and the Vita has no future.

The Western market that the Vita is aiming at has zero interest in handheld gaming.

I think the Japanese Vita sales actually slightly eclipsed the NPD ones last month, no? Which is crazy considering the market size difference and the fact that the Vita is already selling beyond bad in Japan.

Sony portables stronger in the West? What?
The Vita - it's not that they are historically stronger, I think Sony sees an "in"...or thought they had one, with Vita. They are feeling they could have more future success in the west than in JP, therefore they would be stronger Performing in the west than in Japan.

I own a Vita and I'm flabbergasted at its stall. It's a beautiful machine and it's disappointing to see such a forward device panned so badly by the audience. I'm also extraordinarily happy with my 3DS XL and I see why it's succeeding, too. Weird times.

http://www.********.com/analysis/platform_totals/

When you add the west together (NA + EU) it's nearly double the sales of Vita total in JP, thereby I do believe Sony 'thinks' theyll gain greater by focusing on a western market instead of traditional JP market. See: Uncharted, KillZone, Resistance, LBP , Unit 13, , Tearaway, COD, AC3 - all of their bigger eggs and third party eggs are eyeballing the west harder.

I wonder why Sony in general is giving up on JP, though

wrowa

Is there any reason to believe that Project X Zone will outsell Namco x Capcom by more than just a few thousand copies (if at all)? It surprises me that a lot of people in this thread seem to have high hoped for the title.

Top Bottom