• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL Circle Pad Pro on Nintendo's Site

ph_slidepad.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/accessories/index.html

No price point or release date, but here's what it will look like at least.

EDIT:

Re-upped.

J3KTJ.jpg

Holy shit, I didn't think they'd actually do it. I thought they'd do a Circle Pad Pro redesign.

But they actually just made it bigger.

I love this. So much. I laughed my ass off when I saw it.

Edit: Looks like it's blocking the stylus again.

this is an example of stupid things Nintendo should avoid in the future

can you imagine something like that from Apple?

design your shit to work day 1! stop adding stupid shit late

I wonder what they forgot to add on the Wii U

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Not sure what everyone expected... a supersize circle pad pro was always gonna be preeetty big.

jaydogg691

I got to play around with a 3DS XL and I'm still confused why Nintendo did not put a second circle pad on the system. This just looks ridiculous.

Hiltz

this is an example of stupid things Nintendo should avoid in the future

can you imagine something like that from Apple?

design your shit to work day 1! stop adding stupid shit late

I wonder what they forgot to add on the Wii U

I don't even what to think about what they're going to come up with for Wii U. *quivers in fear*

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Actually, leading theory why there's no second analog built into the XL is because the CCP and games that use it are built around communicating with the infrared port. That's now the CCP interacts with a 3DS.

Essentially, now that the 3DS hardware is finalized, hacking a second analog stick in might not be as simple as one would think. Put it into the system itself, and you must deal with some kind of switch or signal to simulate a CCP starting communication with the IR port, then deactivate that when the IR port needs to be used for other things.

Hiltz

Why couldn't they just put this on the device itself again?

According to Iwata:

When we looked at the design of the 3DS XL, we had to look at various factors. One was battery life. One was the overall size of the unit. And we had to make some trade-offs. The choice, if we were going to include the second analog stick, was to reduce the size of the batteries or make the unit much bigger. What we wanted to do was have a bigger screen in comparison with the overall size of the system, so we had various discussions and had to make trade-offs, and this is the outcome.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Wow, I thought they would work some magic and make use of the space below the buttons, I guess I was wrong. Oh well, The circle pad pro on the original 3DS was really hard to get used to, so i'm curious if this new shape/size will be easier to use?

apana

I think the reason they left it off the first time was because they didn't want to confuse or intimidate people who weren't used to these things with earlier handhelds.

Nemesis_

I've used the CCP on every game that supports it.

I've yet to find a game that actually benefits from it tbh

Top Bottom