• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

NJShadow
(09-23-2012, 04:29 PM)
For those of you who are fans of the 'Ecco The Dolphin' series, and I know there's definitely a few of you, word straight from Ed Annunziata (the creator) indicate that a new 'Ecco' title is indeed in the early stages of development, and that he now has a golden ticket for talks with Sega.

"Ecco fans, I need you to follow & tweethank @scottfoe, he convinced SEGA to meet with me now chances of a new Ecco the Dolphin x100!"

https://twitter.com/edannunziata/sta...10239341703168

This was probably some of the most phenomenal news that I've heard in quite some time, as a longtime fan of the series. 'Ecco' is most remembered for having challenging gameplay, unique puzzles via underwater labyrinths, gorgeous visuals, and, in my opinion, some of the most beautiful video game music to ever grace a console. The sometimes eerie atmosphere was even scary at times, for many folks.

So as most can probably tell, I'm "all-in" at this point, and will be supporting any endeavor to get a new installment on a current-gen or next-gen system. If that series looked good on the Dreamcast and PS2, just imagine what Sega will be able to do with today's hardware, given the team behind cares enough (which it seems like they do).

Ed was even nice enough to show some very early scribbles on his marker board. This has me hopeful, and super excited, to say the least.

"It's nice to see BAD dolphin doodles on my office white board again!"

So what do you guys think? Can our fine-finned hero make a comeback? How about the potential for a 1080p seascape? What are your thoughts on the series? Got some love for 'Ecco The Dolphin'? Show it! It can't hurt. ;)

UPDATE: Spencer Nilsen is officially on-board for the soundtrack.

Thanks to Mista Koo for the screen grab.

Last edited by NJShadow; 09-23-2012 at 09:12 PM.
stilgar
(09-23-2012, 04:29 PM)
LOL

edit : I don't want to be misinterpreted : it's an interesting op. But the "early scribble" is fantastic.
Last edited by stilgar; 09-23-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Skilletor
(09-23-2012, 04:31 PM)
Sega is too poor to take a risk on good games, else we wouldn't have this Bayonetta 2 fiasco.
Finaika
Sonar the Dolphin.
Seraphis Cain
bad gameplay lol
The best we can hope for out of this is either:

A. Re-release of the Dreamcast game on PSN/XBLA/Steam

or

B. A mobile/social/Facebook game

A year or two ago I would have thought differently, but with Sega in the state that it's in now...yeah.
Aeana
Medal Princess
(09-23-2012, 04:32 PM)
Get Tim Follin on board again and I will kickstart it.
Seda
the worst pokemon
(09-23-2012, 04:32 PM)
For iOS
Aeris130
(09-23-2012, 04:33 PM)
Only if Spencer Nilsen does the OST.
Carl
(09-23-2012, 04:33 PM)
Why?
NJShadow
(09-23-2012, 04:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Aeana

Get Tim Follin on board again and I will kickstart it.

If they show some potential during the early stages of development, if they even get that far, I'd be willing to do the same thing, should Sega not be entirely convinced.

Originally Posted by Seda

For iOS

I sure hope not. >.< (Or if so, in ADDITION to the console version.)
gutter_trash
(09-23-2012, 04:36 PM)
the Dreamcast game was beautiful but insanely laborious to play. It felt like a job
Aeana
Medal Princess
(09-23-2012, 04:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Aeris130

We need Tim.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(09-23-2012, 04:37 PM)
Nintendo will fund this for SEGA alongside that new Seaman for 3DS completing the SEGA 3.
OnPoint
(09-23-2012, 04:39 PM)
I would absolutely LOVE a new Ecco.

2D or 2.5D please, but I'll take a 3D version as well. Beggars can't be choosers.
cj_iwakura
(09-23-2012, 04:41 PM)

We need Tim.

How many people actually made it that far? God that game is obtuse.
Aeana
Medal Princess
(09-23-2012, 04:42 PM)

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

How many people actually made it that far? God that game is obtuse.

All of the music in the game is glorious, though. And the credits music is the full version of the title screen music.
eXistor
(09-23-2012, 04:44 PM)
Fuck yeah Ecco the Dolphin! I hope we'll get a full-blown sequel, none of this iOS, mobile nonsense. Ecco deserves better than that.
NJShadow
(09-23-2012, 04:45 PM)

I'd be completely content with a soundtrack composed by Attila Dobos, András Magyari, David Javelosa and Andy Armer. They did the soundtrack for the Genesis version of 'Ecco: Tides of Time', and that just blew me away.

To name a few...

Main Title - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxV1y...E0C44BA8047BEA

Fin to Feather - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJQzxFPO6II

Aqua Tubeway - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3hWE...E0C44BA8047BEA

Time Travel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5nNw...feature=relmfu

The team behind 'Ecco Defender of The Future', Tim Follin and Attila Heger, did a brilliant job as well. Didn't get to experience Spencer Nilsen's tunes, since I didn't own the CD version, but what from what I'm hearing on YouTube, that sounds pretty awesome as well.
Last edited by NJShadow; 09-23-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Diablohead
(09-23-2012, 04:45 PM)
I would say we need another 3D ecco like on the dreamcast but no, 2.5D with amazing realistic dolphin shaders please.
RurouniZel
Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
(09-23-2012, 04:47 PM)
I will pay lots of money for a new true Ecco game! :D
Dictator93
(09-23-2012, 04:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Diablohead

I would say we need another 3D ecco like on the dreamcast but no, 2.5D with amazing realistic dolphin shaders please.

I am personally hoping for an fps reboot along the lines of syndicate. I can only hope they do not forget the lens flare.

Awesome news.
Hot Coldman
(09-23-2012, 04:48 PM)
Why isn't Ecco in that new Sonic racing game? There's even water levels fer Pete's sake.
Messypandas
(09-23-2012, 04:50 PM)
Ecco: Modern Wharfare
OnPoint
(09-23-2012, 04:51 PM)

Originally Posted by NJShadow

I'd be completely content with a soundtrack composed by Attila Dobos, András Magyari, David Javelosa and Andy Armer. They did the soundtrack for the Genesis version of 'Ecco: Tides of Time', and that just blew me away.

Main Title - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxV1y...E0C44BA8047BEA

Fin to Feather - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJQzxFPO6II

Aqua Tubeway - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3hWE...E0C44BA8047BEA

Time Travel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5nNw...feature=relmfu

To name a few...

The team behind 'EccoL Defender of The Future', Tim Follin and Attila Heger, did a brilliant job as well. Didn't get to experience Spencer Nilsen's tunes, since I didn't own the CD version, but what from what I'm hearing on YouTube, that sounds pretty awesome as well.

'Time Travel' is the same song from the original Genesis soundtrack. And while I prefer the soundtrack of the first Genesis version you're definitely right, Tides of Time had great tunes as well.

I even prefer these to the much-loved Sega CD soundtrack. WHAT WHAT
Dobkeratops
OT Hard Carry

A Genesis Ecco music post without Welcome to the Machine or Tube of Medusa? Heresy.

Speaking of the Machine, sign me up with the people who'd like to get traumatized again with a new Ecco game.
Aeana
Medal Princess

Originally Posted by Messypandas

Ecco: Modern Wharfare

Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!

Originally Posted by Green Scar

Why isn't Ecco in that new Sonic racing game? There's even water levels fer Pete's sake.

Yes, robo dolphin. Dolphin with wings and tires instead of fins. This is genius.
Hot Coldman
(09-23-2012, 04:52 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1EBqPZyo88
Diablohead
(09-23-2012, 04:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Takao

Yes, robo dolphin. Dolphin with wings and tires instead of fins. This is genius.

Unreal_dolphin_in_mecha_frame.jpg
Bboy AJ
Talks to himself
(09-23-2012, 04:53 PM)
One of my favorite gaming memories when I was younger. I remember seeing the Ecco commercial on TV and just being fascinated that you could actually play as a dolphin. And the octopus. It blew my mind you were in an ocean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB8z-56QnQA

Heh, check out the text on the bottom left.
Lord_Byron28
(09-23-2012, 04:54 PM)
In the distant future we will see OPs bitter tears and rage when it is anounced for iOS.
NJShadow
(09-23-2012, 04:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Dobkeratops

A Genesis Ecco music post without Welcome to the Machine or Tube of Medusa? Heresy.

Speaking of the Machine, sign me up with the people who'd like to get traumatized again with a new Ecco game.

I actually brought them up, but wasn't sure whether or not to include them. >.< I decided to go with the more "methodical" tunes, but I think 'Welcome to the Machine' falls into that category, so my apologies. (I'll probably edit and include them, because 'Tube of Medusa' was great. This was just a few hand-picked ones I loved.)
jmls1121
Banned
(09-23-2012, 04:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Skilletor

Sega is too poor to take a risk on good games, else we wouldn't have this Bayonetta 2 fiasco.

There is no bayonetta 2 fiasco unless you are a bitter fanboy.
Aeana
Medal Princess
(09-23-2012, 04:58 PM)

Originally Posted by jmls1121

There is no bayonetta 2 fiasco unless you are a bitter fanboy.

Well, the fact that Sega canned it in the first place could certainly be called a fiasco.
Schobeleth
(09-23-2012, 04:59 PM)
This... is amazing news. I still fondly remember the Ecco games. As a young lad, they really blew my mind with how deep they were.
TimmiT
(09-23-2012, 05:02 PM)
But SEGA already announced a new Ecco game two years ago: http://blogs.sega.com/2010/04/01/on-...ar-you-scream/
cj_iwakura
By the by, the hilarious Jaws game on PS2 was made by the Defender of the Future team.

scitek

How about the potential for a 1080p seascape?

Steam release is a must!
Danneee
(09-23-2012, 05:03 PM)
I would love a new Ecco! Maybe a remake of the first but fully 3D!
Skilletor

Well, the fact that Sega canned it in the first place could certainly be called a fiasco.

Yeah, this.

Basically Sega isn't taking any risks. Ecco is one of my favorite games. I'm not going to get my hopes up when they don't even put money into already existing good series.
Deadstar
Ecco would look absolutely incredible with today's water graphics. Imagine the amazing environments that could be made. Especially if this goes next gen. The world needs more water levels!
OnPoint
(09-23-2012, 05:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Danneee

I would love a new Ecco! Maybe a remake of the first but fully 3D!

Ecco Prime

I mean, I guess it COULD work.
Slygmous
I'd love a new Ecco game, hopefully with music like the original genesis versions though.
Did anybody here finish DOF? I still feel bad for quitting.
Dobkeratops
OT Hard Carry
If we're getting something out of this and we have to push rocks around again we'd better get some lock-on feature this time.

Originally Posted by Schobeleth

As a young lad, they really blew my mind with how deep they were.

ZealousD
(09-23-2012, 05:08 PM)

Originally Posted by gutter_trash

the Dreamcast game was beautiful but insanely laborious to play. It felt like a job

That's practically a hallmark of the series. Beautiful, yet punishing.

Me and my brother never could beat the original legitimately. I might jump in for a sequel if it doesn't break my balls.
Last edited by ZealousD; 09-23-2012 at 05:11 PM.
SMT
this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
(09-23-2012, 05:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Finaika

Sonar the Dolphin.

That's the game!
Paco
(09-23-2012, 05:12 PM)
Make it a XBLA/PSN 2.5D game. Thanks.
Reticent Rhino
(09-23-2012, 06:41 PM)
Love this series, but I'm worried about whether modern Sega can do it justice. I'd...krill to see a follow-up to DotF (Hanging Waters was the high point of the whole series for me), but I'll take a 2D/2.5D one if it's good.
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(09-23-2012, 06:43 PM)

whatevermort
(09-23-2012, 06:48 PM)
This would make an ideal iOS game.