• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second Sight pulled from digital stores

Persona7

Banned
Well, I noticed that it was pulled from steam the other day and I did some research, apparently some legal issues with the game had cropped up and now it is being pulled for the time being, it might become available again in the future but it is unclear. I guess codemasters is having licensing issues again?

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/second_sight_was_removed_from_steam/post23

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/second_...w_we_might_remove_second_sight_from_our_offer

From the GOG forums. I had bookmarked the gog page and I just checked it less than 5 minutes ago and when I refreshed it was already removed. I wish I had figured this out earlier so I could have made this thread before it was pulled.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/second_sight

Persona7

Banned
Yeah, I was actually going to purchase the game on Steam or gog at the end of this week when I got money, but it is too late! I have the xbox version and luckily PC copies are still around.

Last time I buy a Codemasters product then.

Think it could be Free Radical [now Crytek] trying to extract royalties from digital sales?

Persona7

Banned
Last time I buy a Codemasters product then.

Think it could be Free Radical [now Crytek] trying to extract royalties from digital sales?

Could be, but Codemasters has had licensing issues in the past with other games.

Maybe Crytek UK is trying to regain control of the IP?

benjipwns

Banned
Does anyone know any differences on the PC version?

I seem to recall way back in the day, when GameTap was useful, trying to play it and the thing wouldn't run on Vista+ but I didn't know if that was their doing or the game.

If it's just resolution or whatever I probably will make do with finding a Xbox version.

glaurung

I played this game a lot when it was released. I think I played the Xbox version the most.

This getting pulled from distribution is a sign of greed and not a chance for a sequel or HD remake. At least that makes more sense to me.

This and Psi-Ops remain the best ESP adventures.

KissVibes

Banned
What an incredibly miss opportunity for Codemasters and Midway/Warner Bros not to release sequels to Second Sight and Psi Ops. A lot of good IPs from last generation were just dropped for no good reason. The Suffering was another one.

Hopefully this can be resolved. I'd pay $5 to play Second Sight again. Maybe Crytek is going to make a sequel.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow, this digital distribution future is great!

You do realise that situations like this (where legal issues prevent the continued sale of a product) also affects physical retailers, right? It's just that in the case of digital retailers, the effect is virtually immediate.

You do realise that situations like this (where legal issues prevent the continued sale of a product) also affects physical retailers, right?

Not really, it takes an email to remove a game from a digital store. It takes personal, mailing and delivery to remove a game from retail. As well as paying the retailer back for the product.

Joni

What an incredibly miss opportunity for Codemasters and Midway/Warner Bros not to release sequels to Second Sight and Psi Ops. A lot of good IPs from last generation were just dropped for no good reason. The Suffering was another one.
I don't think it was a missed opportunity for either of them. Neither game did great sales-wise, and Psi-Ops lost relevance due to that lawsuit. So it wasn't like they were dropped without reason. The Suffering got a sequel that didn't convince, it might come back if the movie ever pops up.

benjipwns

Banned
You do realise that situations like this (where legal issues prevent the continued sale of a product) also affects physical retailers, right? It's just that in the case of digital retailers, the effect is virtually immediate.
To be fair, it'd be hard to buy Second Sight new from retail. It'd be nice if they could set up some kind of account where the sales go to until the rights are figured out.

Game sells a lot, someone might actually try to get the IP instead of letting it linger forever with an insurance company.

antitrop

I don't think it was a missed opportunity for either of them. Neither game did great sales-wise, and Psi-Ops lost relevance due to that lawsuit. So it wasn't like they were dropped without reason. The Suffering got a sequel that didn't convince, it might come back if the movie ever pops up.
I bet we'll see a Psi-Ops sequel in the next console generation.

There's a lot to be explored there, it's an enticing franchise. Popping guy's heads was a blast.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not really, it takes an email to remove a game from a digital store. It takes personal, mailing and delivery to remove a game from retail. As well as paying the retailer back for the product.

You've misunderstood my post. I wasn't referring to forced removal, but the ability to sell more copies than has been allocated.

To be fair, it'd be hard to buy Second Sight new from retail. It'd be nice if they could set up some kind of account where the sales go to until the rights are figured out.

Game sells a lot, someone might actually try to get the IP instead of letting it linger forever with an insurance company.

I wasn't referring to Second Sight specifically. In any case, the fact that it would be difficult to find a new retail copy of the game just makes his post even more silly in this instance.

KissVibes

Banned

Both games sold over 1 million copies, which isn't great but is far from being a waste. I distinctly remember Free Radical talking about how Psi Ops stole their thunder and preformed much better, so it would've had a better chance of getting released.

The Psi Ops lawsuit happened years after the game was released and Midway was cleared of any wrong doing, not to mention that Warner Bros picked up that series when it could've passed to some other publisher.

All three games could have made for a good outing this generation and it was a missed opportunity considering how popular those games have gotten since release. I'm sure that in Psi Ops and The Sufferings case, sequels were probably planned but lost during the Midway collapse. Same with the movie. That was going to be released last year, Stan Winston had done work on it and they even had a lead actor cast, then WB and others bought pieces of Midway and those rights reverted back and nothing moved forward.

Second Sight's lack of sequel on the other hand probably had a lot to do with Codemasters not really giving a shit about non-racing games and the mess that was Free Radical.

Unless Crytek is really excited to revive Second Sight, I think these franchises are permanently dead.

benjipwns

Banned
I wasn't referring to Second Sight specifically. In any case, the fact that it would be difficult to find a new retail copy of the game just makes his post even more silly in this instance.
No, no, I meant it in the scope that there should at least be the ability to buy these digital. Second Sight isn't the only game stuck in this stupid limbo.

Sentenza

Wow, this digital distribution future is great!
Those who already bought the game will be able to access it anyway.
This is going to be an issue just for new potential customers.

I'm not sure if that's the argument you were trying to to imply, but let's make this clear before people start overreacting about issues not strictly related to this topic, as "consumer's rights" and stuff like that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Except you can still legally buy the physical game...

Joni

Both games sold over 1 million copies, which isn't great but is far from being a waste. I distinctly remember Free Radical talking about how Psi Ops stole their thunder and preformed much better, so it would've had a better chance of getting released.
That was only in the US though and concerned the initial sales. We know Second Sight to 1 million eventually, but not how long it took. It also had the advantage of a PC release that came later.

The Psi Ops lawsuit happened years after the game was released and Midway was cleared of any wrong doing, not to mention that Warner Bros picked up that series when it could've passed to some other publisher.
Didn't they just get it in the packet deal for Surreal Software and some other studios? The lawsuit also came at a time you would expect a sequel to enter full production if it was a moderate hit.

All three games could have made for a good outing this generation and it was a missed opportunity considering how popular those games have gotten since release. I'm sure that in Psi Ops and The Sufferings case, sequels were probably planned but lost during the Midway collapse.
The Suffering 3 wasn't in development, Surreal was doing This is Vegas.

Second Sight's lack of sequel on the other hand probably had a lot to do with Codemasters not really giving a shit about non-racing games and the mess that was Free Radical.

Unless Crytek is really excited to revive Second Sight, I think these franchises are permanently dead.
Crytek already said Second Sight didn't do good enough for a sequel.

Overall it didn't generate sufficient interest for us to feel it was worth making a sequel," Hilton states. "We had some ideas ready, but we decided it didn't have any momentum as a new franchise. Codemasters gave Second Sight good support and we even released a PC version (which wasn't part of the original release plan). Ultimately history appears to have been much kinder to the game than we would have thought after its initial release.

" Second Sight does crop up occasionally in discussions in the gaming community about good narrative in games and games that were 'sleeper' hits (although you could never describe the final sales figures as a hit)."

C.Dark.DN

Banned
For an obscure PS2-era game that was a commercial flop? Unlikely, but of course I could mistaken.
Yes, unless it's a very limited release(which you should be buying while it's printed), if you want a game that recently went out of print you can find it. The more time that goes buy, the rarity varies. PSN games and shit getting pulled? You're fucked unless there are illegal means to risk.

Joni

For an obscure PS2-era game that was a commercial flop? Unlikely, but of course I could mistaken.

Looks at Amazon UK. PC version for 3 pounds, PS2 version for 5. Both new. You can get any version for 5 pounds. Most last-generation games should still be findable. especially if the game flopped. The minimum print order means most games are still in stock somewhere.

Top Bottom