• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Console Mockups Thread (~baud modems beware~)

Nekki

So, a while ago, i was wondering about this very same topic, and since the 3DS, Vita, Wii U announcements it was normal to see a couple mock-ups, and it got me interested in the topic.

So lately i've been trying to do some research on them, and had been wondering just how far back it goes... I'll start with the obvious ones since they're most recent.

Wii U

wii2.jpg

This is by far the most known mock-up for Project Cafe, although the first one was in full black. It promised very easy porting from PC and X360.

wii-2-mock-up-1.jpg

projectcafe140.jpg

More interesting Project Cafe mock-ups i've found while looking around. Second one seems to be heavily influenced by the ps2 Slim design, heh.

Some mockups of the UPad

Nintendo-Cafe-Controller-Concept-2011-Quarter.png

40034725.jpg

nqjsa-e1305063312385.png

PS4

PS4-mock-up.jpg

asdlabs-ps4-concept-1.jpg

PS4 mock-ups seem to be a lot more futuristic-like, even though some designs are quite crazy, but imo more interesting than the Wii U designs.

PS4-Mock-up-530x298.jpg

playstation4.jpg

Notice the integration of a screen on the controller on these, hehe.

playstation-4-concept-render-101-600x337.jpg

Xbox 720

xbox-720-mockup.jpg

xbox_720_mockup.jpg

This second one is the one i've seen around the most. But the next one is quite interesting, even if not realistic.

oxmconcept-toc-flat-0811.jpg

That gamepad looks... like it came from outer space, and completely unusable. Can't figure out what the rest are. Probably a mouse, and a hard disk?

xbox-720-coolpctips.jpg

The above design seems somewhat inspired on the OnLive console.

Okay, i think that's enough for the upcoming generations. Let's take a look at the current gen.

Xbox 360

Known during development as Xbox 2, NextBox or Xbox Next, looking up mock-ups for this console doesn't yield too many interesting results.

xboxnext.jpg

This seems to just be an Xbox-like design for the 2nd iteration. Anyhow, it's very poor.

screenshot_30631_thumb_wide620.jpg

When it was known that it would be called 360, some people thought about a spherical design.

xbox-360-slim-mock.jpg

A mock-up for the 360 Slim, next to an original 360.

Wii which carried the name Revolution internally.

8661224912377645.JPG

This format is similar to the GameCube, except it's been flattened and made into a circular shape. It looks more "futuristic" as well.

Fake_Wii_prototype--article_image.jpg

Another impossible mock-up

1411853428673731.JPG

A mock-up of the front of the console, notice the lack of controller ports, which are probably underneath the lid down there.

revolution-controller-concept.JPG

Controller mock-up.

PS3

As usual, to me PS has the best mock-ups hehe.

PS3_f.jpg

This one seems nice, even though i'm not too fond of the visible disc.

5S5pN.jpg

This one seems kinda weird.. but hey look at that, it has a UMD slot! (rehosted)

psthree1.jpg

A blockier variation on the design.

slim.jpg

And a slim mock-up.

Well, what about going back even further??

Gamecube aka as Dolphin.

pM85v.jpg

Dolphin mock-up, extracted from this very own forum :p

A mock-up of a supposed controller for the dolphin, from IGN.

igndolphincontroller1.jpg

And i'm spent.

i know there are at least one or two PS2 that i had seen sometime, but i just can't find them or remember well. Dunno about the original Xbox either.

If anybody could contribute more, that'd be fantastic :D

There are other consoles with good mockups probably, and there are still prototypes and the like that are equally interesting. Of course there's still the topic on handhelds, which i will touch later hehe.

Anyway, hope you find this interesting!

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Heck I'll add a couple I came up with for some articles, though they were never intended to be serious hoaxes:

The Gameboy Cubed

... the portable I would have rather had Nintendo release than a 3DS.

The PS3+

...I imagine Sony kept manufacturing the full BC PS3 as a separate SKU.
Obviously this one didn't take much effort.

The PSP Too

...UMD drive add-on for the Vita to allow for full PSP backwards compatibility.

I just use Photoshop and stitch something together out of existing products...

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
This one was made by a Gaffer, IIRC. It was based on the leaked PS3 Slim v.2 pictures.
It's pretty much spot on.

That purple Dolphin controller looks unusable.

I believe it was aswell.

Awesome thread man! Would love to see this updated over time.

Sexy.

Lol - thats a PS3 Slim 2!

I remember when sony registered a new ps3 version and there was a thread of mock up such at that 1

neptunes

It's really hard to find any PS2 mock-ups, but I remember seeing this in grade school

I assume this was created before Sony officially revealed it to the public.

psx2a.jpg

Reallink

Love how all the PS4 ones still have a standard dual shock styled controller with the big departure being what amounts to a colored VMU. Definitely foresee some fanboy tears coming out of that. There's almost no chance Sony can ship a console expected to remain viable through the year 2020 with a slightly reformed dual shock.

Love how all the PS4 ones still have a standard dual shock styled controller with the big departure being what amounts to a colored VMU. Definitely foresee some fanboy tears coming out of that. There's almost no chance Sony can ship a console expected to remain viable through the year 2020 with a slightly reformed dual shock.

To be fair...its Sony - they probably will :d
What I find funniest are the attempts to make a screen fit the design :D

This looks really nice, but the colours may be lying to me :D
Dual shock needs to change though. Its one of those 'can't go back' type controllers.

Nekki

To be fair...its Sony - they probably will :d
What I find funniest are the attempts to make a screen fit the design :D

This looks really nice, but the colours may be lying to me :D
Dual shock needs to change though. Its one of those 'can't go back' type controllers.

I like that design as well. And yeah, the integrated screen is hilarious haha.

Majine

Banned
You can tell most of these people don't work with this stuff. Talking about production cost, sensible dimensions for the tv space, neutral designchoices etc.

psp2-concept2.jpg

What the Vita should have looked like

I hate that people think this design is good.

Have you ever held a PSP Go or a Xperia Play? It's that exact kind of thing and it feels absolutely TERRIBLE to play with those devices. The buttons and the digipad have to be very flat for the slide mechanic to work properly and they just feel terrible on those things.

I much prefer the original PSP or the Vita design to this crap. Excellent example of form over function.

madmackem

Most of those pad designs look like they would fucking ruining your hands within hours. Form over looks any day of the week for me.

It's really hard to find any PS2 mock-ups, but I remember seeing this in grade school

I assume this was created before Sony officially revealed it to the public.

psx2a.jpg

This design reminds me a lot of the JVC Wondermega:

wondermega.jpg

Only flipped.

And here's a classic mockup:

The original NES with wireless controllers, keyboard and data tapedeck.

GorillaJu

Nearly every mock-up posted in this thread is embarrasingly poor, but I think this is fairly realistic. The only problem is that it doesn't look like a games machine, it looks like a DVD player. It would also need to be bulkier in the first rendition. I suspect more black, less brushed metal.

Top Bottom