• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie expects Wii U’s killer app to be social networking

TunaLover

On Miiverse...
“I think that it will pleasantly surprise people. As the network grows and the installed base grows, it will prove to be a true killer application for the system, and I say this loving what we have done with Nintendo TVii and loving all the games. Until you try it and experience it, you may not totally understand it.”

On competing for attention among various other distractions...
“I compete against time on the PC, time watching TV, and time spent on social networks. I already compete with all that stuff, and now you can do it in a new and engaging way.”

On understanding Miiverse...
“People have to leave the current paradigm behind to understand what we are trying to do. Miiverse is going to be embedded right on the game platform, so literally some of the activity will be able to happen immediately as people experience it.”

On parental controls...
“we’ll be leveraging technology, the community and our own reviewers to determine what’s appropriate for the masses. What Miiverse is doing is quite different from anything else that’s being done, especially with the ability to hand draw messages and things of that nature.”

- forecasting 10 million units sold combined for both the Wii and the Wii U this year.
- even with Wii U being sold out at multiple retailers, there will be more available launch day
- Reggie says, “We are looking to max out production as quickly as possible.”

Source http://allthingsd.com/20121002/nint...ller-app-to-be-social-networking/?refcat=news

H3xum

I expect this new fangled a.m. radio to really be the killer app in everyones living room this winter

Kouriozan

The idea of a "gaming facebook" where people are interested about what you love is exciting.
Can't wait to see what Miiverse can do.

Celegus

Yet they still haven't showed any of it.

Perfect marketing campaign, Nintendo. "We have the greatest online infrastructure and social networking features of them all! But you can't see it yet, just take our word for it!"

LuchaShaq

Banned
The idea of a "gaming facebook" where people are interested about what you love is exciting.

Sarcasm right?

I can't think of two things I want to combine less than my game console and social networks considering facebook has been a cesspool for years and twitter is much better used as a news/comedy/rss feed than back and forth discussion.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So how close to launch do we get before they debut the online service?

Probably only when they have their ad campaign aimed at families using the network ready to show.

Sarcasm right?

I can't think of two things I want to combine less than my game console and social networks considering facebook has been a cesspool for years and twitter is much better used as a news/comedy/rss feed than back and forth discussion.

There's potential in the notion of only allowing conversation streams between people who have physically played a game / are playing it currently. I believe that was hinted at being one of the filters for their system.

And not sarcasm I think. Social is big and only getting bigger, even if it's not everyone's cup of tea. The joke here is that conceptually, this does represent Nintendo being very progressive. The irony is that it's not something that will get them respect from some hardcore gamers as said gamers may likely hate social. But for the mainstream customer and average game player, this could honestly be a selling point.

I am very interested in seeing their expanded "social network"-like online system. The Mario U idea seems pretty cool. It'd be interesting to see friends' comments on the levels right there.

Though I can't help but to feel that Nintendo's not going too in-depth about the Miiverse, which could mean many things...

Perfect marketing campaign, Nintendo. "We have the greatest online infrastructure and social networking features of them all! But you can't see it yet, just take our word for it!"

So they're the Mitt Romney of gaming?

hyduK

Banned
I guess it's better than games wanting to use my actual FB or Twitter. Which I'll never let happen.

Until you try it and experience it, you may not totally understand it

Well, it might help if they actually tried to explain it. At this point it's a bunch of promises and I'm not about to take his word on something he (and the company as a whole) has proven time and again that they're extremely out of touch with.

Cornbread78

So they're the Mitt Romney of gaming?

Wait, is this a politics in gaming thread? I missed that.. Well it is Reggie though, so I guess it fits.

Besides this will only work for the soccer moms, my kids have moved on to Tumblr and Instagram only because there is too much "drama" on Facebook and it's too "old" now.

Pyrrhus

I fucking love how games have become more or less ancillary to gaming consoles in the eyes of the companies who put them out.

Again, as a gamer -- convince me first to buy your console with the fact that games can be played online in a way which maximizes utility to the player. I certainly would love for social networking to be a part of that. But the actual act of playing a game online is far more important to me.

Still haven't heard confirmation that games like NSMB U or Smash Bros. can be played online with the system in any way resembling the advancements in internet gaming in the past 5-10 years, and that is a deal breaker for me.

vareon

He kind of got a point. I just got a 3DS and the Streetpass/Mii stuff surprised me. Can't wait to see what they did with Wii U.

Considering social networking is decidedly moving to handheld devices, why would any one buy a Wii U to network on the TV?

That's why they haven't tried to be a portal for those social networks. Its their own gaming social network... but they still have the stuff plugged into Nintendo TVii etc. for connecting to Facebook and Twitter too. They're definitely taking a sensible approach.

I think people will like it too. It looks more accessible than other approaches thus far, and I'm in no doubt aspects will be copied.

There's potential in the notion of only allowing conversation streams between people who have physically played a game / are playing it currently. I believe that was hinted at being one of the filters for their system.

B..b..but...
1.jpg

There's potential in the notion of only allowing conversation streams between people who have physically played a game / are playing it currently.

So you mean like Barrens chat, or the chat rooms in Kongregate?

Jarsonot

I'm kinda intrigued, but not that excited for Miiverse. *shrugs*

Same here. How is it a social network? Will I be inundated with constant blatherings about how some stranger beat a level in 89 seconds?

It may get a lot better once you have your actual friends on there, though.

F#A#Oo

Banned

Nintendo doesn't need the marketing now they need it after release.

Also this is the way Nintendo has been operating for while now in terms of announcing things 2-3 months ahead of time rather than shitting out all their plans for the next year.

I love this approach btw as I want to be a virgin when I open my Wii U and start it up and explore with no prior knowledge of any working mechanisms.

Considering social networking is decidedly moving to handheld devices, why would any one buy a Wii U to network on the TV?

I'm assuming he knows what it means but the term killer app is pushing it.
The network is a way of interacting with other Wii U users, I don't think many would buy a Wii U to do that unless they already wanted a Wii U for some other reason.

Edit: I'm forgetting that it will be web based eventually, so I'm not sure what that entails, will you need to own a Wii U or can anyone join in?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Miiverse TVii implementation is really smart.
It augurs well for what is to come in games.

GamePad is of course ideal to type text / draw things / launch a video chat.
Upcoming Smartphone/Internet support is the cherry on the cake: conversations with Wii U's community will happen anywhere, anytime. That's a pretty exciting thought, from a Nintendo gamer point of view. I browse GAF from my iPhone each time I have few minutes to spare. What if I could have such a diversion, specifically tailored around games I'm playing, in a more refined context (a la TVii snapshots)? I see lots of value here.

Wii U will boot on Miiverse, that is to say on human interactions. That will bring life & personality to this console.
I believe delivering a fully featured social network around an entertainment system is among the best means to retain customers' loyalty.

Nintendo's stock value is climbing, week over week. And I guess investors are starting to come to the realization Nintendo will capitalize on this social network, for a much longer term than a traditional console sales cycle.

It's the Mitt Romney approach to console selling.

mclem

Isn't the point of Miiverse more the close *integration* of the social network with their games? It's not "buying a Wii U to communicate with people", it's "Communicating with people who're playing the same games as you"

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Besides the point that Miiverse is about networking with people playing the games you are as you are playing them, don't forget there is going to be a mobile Miiverse app as well.

hachi

Banned
“I think that it will pleasantly surprise people. As the network grows and the installed base grows, it will prove to be a true killer application for the system, and I say this loving what we have done with Nintendo TVii and loving all the games. Until you try it and experience it, you may not totally understand it.”

"a killer application," not the

Also, the "social networking" features are not entirely focused on online interactions; I believe he's also including the within-family networking, whereby you'll see little Johnny's Mii associated with his shows and recent games played, or new notices and notes left in the main area by the misses, etc.

Nibel

I think that this feature is pretty underestimated just like TVii

But oh well *grabs popcorn* let's see when this thread will turn into a bloodbath!

Top Bottom