• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIGHT! Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, Sonic The Fighters Rated for XBLA

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Because is one of the worst VF games next VF5:R
Going back to the days of moon jumping in VF instead of sidestepping seems so weird these days.

Somewhat interested in Fighting Vipers. Had some unique quirks for a 3D fighter and I never really gave that side of the cast an honest try in Fighters Megamix.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Sonic the Fighters and VF2 are DAY ONE! Nights being out as well makes me kinda glad I didn't spend big bucks on that
rare Sega Saturn w/ the region switch (made by Sega) and got a PS3 instead.

Alx

Better be arcade ports of VF and FV.

For VF, I'd rather have something like the "anniversary" game they made, with the old look and mechanics but also the new characters added in.

I'm all for buying all those old quirky fighters anyway. Never played Sonic Fighters but I will give it a try (I always loved the look of old flat shaded games... it should be even better in HD).
I hope they sell, so that they'll consider porting Last Bronx, Fighter Megamix and Virtua Figher Kids (that last one was hilarious).

Slygmous

Quick question for anybody with the PS2 ports: did they include the Saturn soundtracks?

Assuming that's what they base the new versions off.
I wonder if Pepsiman is still impossible?

PJX

Because is one of the worst VF games next VF5:R

350x700px-LL-4ad90b08_Not-sure-if-serious2.jpeg

eastx

I'm excited for Sonic the Fighters - I didn't play it on GameCube and I've always wanted to try it out. Loved Fighting Vipers on Saturn, so I look forward to seeing it with improved visuals and such on 360. I'll even play through VF2 again if it helps get future SEGA arcade ports released.

Better be arcade ports of VF and FV.

Fuck, do i even need all my old consoles anymore?

As much as I like arcade ports, the additional gameplay modes in the Saturn version of VF2 and Fighting Vipers will never make the obsolete. Unless of course they add these modes to the arcade ports that is...

Sonic the Fighters was never ported to Sega Saturn as far as I know, but it did make its way onto the Sonic Gems collection. I wouldn't be surprised if they used that.

Anybody think these would possibly be XBLA exclusive? Seems unlikely, but damn would that be cruel :(

Also +100 Fighters Megamix.
fighters_megamix_profilelarge-1.jpg

Oh yes this. I would love to see this get ported to a new console.

Galdelico

Damn I'd buy dem all, even if they should turn out to be - as some gaffer said - the PS2 SEGA Ages re-released.

One thing about Virtua Fighter 2: I read you can play the fully emulated arcade machine in Yakuza 5... Any word about FV and Sonic Fighters being in the game as well? That would explain why they got rated as XBLA only.

What about Daytona USA? Not sure if that's a port, or emulation.
If I remember correctly, XBLA/PSN Daytona is a port of this arcade machine (SEGA Racing Classic).

Trojan X

Banned
Damn I'd buy dem all, even if they should turn out to be - as some gaffer said - the PS2 SEGA Ages re-released.

One thing about Virtua Fighter 2: I read you can play the fully emulated arcade machine in Yakuza 5... Any word about FV and Sonic Fighters being in the game as well? That would explain why they got rated as XBLA only.

If I remember correctly, XBLA/PSN Daytona is a port of this arcade machine (SEGA Racing Classic).

Yes. Daytona USA is the port of SEGA Racing Classic, which is incredible! The ONLY and pretty vital thing that SEGA screwed up with the game is the lobby. If they fixed the issue with that then people would still be playing the game online, but every time someone goes online, they feel that no one is available even though they are.

Both Yakuza 5 (Ryoga Gotaku Go) and XBLA VF2 could potentially be the PS2 version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPUSTVd8Sw8

... the conversion is amazing but I'd prefer this version, the arcade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Db56ESW0Uo

It would be great if someone can confirm it as I won't purchase the XBLA version if it's a port of the PS2 game.

Galdelico

Both Yakuza 5 (Ryoga Gotaku Go) and XBLA VF2 could potentially be the PS2 version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPUSTVd8Sw8

... which is not great when compared to this version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Db56ESW0Uo

It would be great if someone can confirm it as I won't purchase the XBLA version if it's a port of the PS2 game.
Yeah, I didn't get the PS2 version at the time because of the bad I read about the porting quality... Was SEGA Ages FV as bad as VF2?
I only got Last Bronx (one of my many guilty pleasures) and seemed to me pretty much fine.

Btw, dumb question but I never connected the nicknames: are you the same Trojan X/Vs Battlecast on YouTube?

MMM VF2 on the Saturn wasn't a slouch even though it got stuck with super simplified levels. It was running at 60fps back in the day. I have a feeling this is going to be the Model2 arcade port which will be incredible.

But can these games stand on their own or will they be bundled like the Alex Kidd/Shinobi/Super Hang-on bundle that was released earlier this year.

I'm excited for more golden age SEGA ports. :D

Satchel

Banned
I'm so tempted to sell all my Sega consoles.

Almost all my rare(ish) titles and classics are being re released in HD.

Still have Last Bronx and House of the Dead 1 on Saturn though. As well as a few Dreamcast ones but fuck at this rate, there'll be no point in a year or so.

Galdelico

Yup, same guy! Hope you enjoyed the last episode of season 1.
I actually love them all: I remember your videos were actually some of the first I found on Youtube providing HD footage of some of my favourite arcade machines.
Also the script, the video editing and all those little informative details... Fantastic.

Trojan X

Banned
I actually love them all: I remember your videos were actually some of the first I found on Youtube providing HD footage of some of my favourite arcade machines.
Also the script, the video editing and all those little informative details... Fantastic.

Thank you so much! I'm really happy to hear that.

Sorry that I haven't created the next episode for a long while. We've been taking a break and coming up with some amazing initiatives which will make the show even more useful for everyone. Expect Season 2 of Versus Battlecast to commence in November. Meanwhile, Episode 6 is the last one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXMim20eNs&feature=related

Ah...I forgot all about that re-release when I posted. I guess the thought never came to me since, well...the name change. Hah. But it makes sense that it'd be based on it.

I can't seem to find anything through a quick Google search to confirm it, though, so I'll just take your word for it.

flattie

I wonder if all these PSN/Live HD reissues will remain compatible with the next gen systems. Surely we're getting to a point where the platform is bigger than the hardware (ala IOS/Android) and these types of games should be accessible across machines.

I also wonder if we'll see DC/Saturn virtual consoles added to the Wii U eshop. That would be a sweet addition alongside the master system/mega drive stuff that already exists.

Rlan

Aren't xbla ports mostly PC ports? So that would suggest VF2PC version as base.

So the SEGA Xbox Live Arcade ports have been from a lot of different sources over the years. For the most recent titles:

- Sonic Adventure -- Port of the PC version of the game, with the DX additions made into DLC. Kept to 4:3, very little done.
- Crazy Taxi -- Port of the PC version of the game, with the soundtrack changed from the original and brand name places removed. Little done to it at all.
- Space Channel 5 -- I'm going to say it's a port of the PS2 version of the game, as there was no Dreamcast English release.
- SEGA Bass Fishing -- I'm going to say it was the PC version? Not sure.

- Sega Rally Online Arcade -- Port of the Arcade version of the (originally) retail title.
- Virtua Fighter 5: FS -- Port of the last Arcade version of the game, modified to split costumes etc into DLC.
- Daytona USA -- Port of the Arcade version of SEGA Racing Classic, a port of the original Daytona 1 Arcade to HD monitors, but switched back to its original name.
- After Burner Climax -- Port of the Arcade version.
- House of the Dead 4 (PSN) -- Port of the Arcade version with PSMove additions.
- Sonic Adventure 2 - Port of the Gamecube version of the game with the "Battle" additions used for DLC. Made to fit widescreen and be actually HD.
- NiGHTS - Port of the Japan Only PS2 version of the game which had upgraded visuals.
- Jet Set Radio -- Ported from the Dreamcast version, given a rather significant upgrade to suit HD resolutions. These games aren't emulated either, they found the code (or most of it) for this stuff.
Sonic CD -- A complete rebuild of the original Sonic CD Mega CD version, vastly improving a lot of emelents including making it actually widescreen and playable Tails.

If they've been able to port over NiGHTS from the SEGA AGES collection, it would make sense that Virtua Fighter II and Fighting Vipers are the same deal. They're upgraded slightly and they'd probably have the source for that stuff around.

sajj316

Virtua Fighter 2 arcade perfect version would be awesome! Every year I Youtube the VF2 arcade intro and reminisce about the good ole days ..

Countless hours spent playing VF2 on the Saturn ..

Galdelico

So the SEGA Xbox Live Arcade ports have been from a lot of different sources over the years. For the most recent titles:

- House of the Dead 4 (PSN) -- Port of the Arcade version with PSMove additions
Just out of curiosity: I noticed all the cutscenes in PS3 THotD4 are full motion videos (you can see some compression going on there)... Was it the same with the arcade or were they handled in real time by the game's engine?

Also: is PSN The House of the Dead 3 a straight arcade port or is it based on some other source?

Rlan

Now previously AM2 have done their own porting of their own products -- I believe After Burner Climax, Virtual On: OT and VF5 was them, so there's a chance they're doing it this time for VF2, STF and Fighting Vipers from the original Arcade versions.

If it's the same outfit that ported Sonic Adventure 2 and NiGHTS, which was SEGA Shanghai, then it'll likely be the PS2 versions.

Looking back at the SEGA AGES release list, they started off with some shockingly bad remakes, but ended up getting pretty sweet by the end. The following would make good to great ports over to the XBLA and PSN.

Phantasy Star: Generation 1

package_l.jpg

screen_1.jpg
screen_2.jpg

screen_3.jpg

screen_4.jpg

A PS2 remake of Phantasy Star 1, complete with new graphics. a new translation of this title would be awesome, along with a port of Generation 2 (ie; PSII remake)

Decathlete Collection

package_l.jpg

screen_1.jpg
screen_2.jpg

screen_3.jpg

screen_4.jpg

Sega's simple Arcade "olympic" titles, Decathlete and Winter Heat. Konami's Track and Field is on there, I think this might actually do well?

Dynamite Deka

main.jpg

caption1b.jpg

caption3b.jpg

This old brawler apparently got a great update to the original version. Also, considering this was called Die Hard Arcade and had it changed to Bruce Willis's character for America, it might actually be a good idea to get this, rebrand it Die Hard Arcade again, and release it when Die Hard 5 comes out next year.

Panzer Dragoon

main.jpg

caption1b.jpg

caption2b.jpg

I'd honestly prefer Zwei, but considering Panzer Dragoon has a PS2 port, is included in Orta, and has a level in SAASRT, why not?

Other stuff that they've got in the SEGA AGES stuff, including Fantasy Zone Collection and Treasure Box, would be better suited to the sweet collections M2 have been doing for Streets or Rage etc.

This is extremely exciting, hope it's true.
XBLA has shaped to become an incredible platform for modernized ports (except poor efforts such as the Backbone stuff as example). It's great even today it seems we're just scratching the surface. Next generaton has a lot of possibility. SEGA's back catalog alone, both first and third party across consoles and arcade, has almost endless possibility.

What about Sonic R?

Since NiGHTS has been released on XBLA, the floodgates seem to be open for possibility of more Saturn ports.
I've in the past also brought up the "Sonic World" portion in Sonic Jam to be included as a bonus in one of these future Saturn ports.

Strange because Sonic the Fighters, content-wise, is a "smaller" game than Sonic R. But StF is unique enough to warrant an individual XBLA release. I'm also sure many haven't even heard of it even after being released as part of the GCN Gems Collection.

Or maybe these three will be released in a compilation like the recent M2 SEGA Vintage Collection series.

Sonic 3D Blast/Flickie's Island Saturn version is another game that's hardly or never been ported to other consoles. Everyone's played the Mega Drive version, but not that.

Of course going beyond just Sonic games that still can get treatment, there's so many to list. Planet Harriers getting release for the first time on consoles outside of arcades alongside an M2 Space Harrier collection (in the style of the recent SoR/Golden Axe/Alex Kidd/MW XBLA compilations by M2) would be great.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Dynamite Deka also appears in Project X Zone. Increased chances for a revival?

And... I'd love to see Zombie Revenge.

220px-Zombie_Revenge_Coverart.png

Rikiya Busujima is also in Project X Zone, talk about an unexpected character reference out of nowhere...

zr7.jpg

Rlan

TSonic 3D Blast/Flickie's Island Saturn version is another game that's hardly or never been ported to other consoles. Everyone's played the Mega Drive version, but not that.

The PC version of Sonic 3D Blast has all the main-game art of the Saturn version of the game, but the special stages are weird PC only ones that are awful. At this point it'd probably be best to chuck it in a compilation with Sonic Spinball.

Before clicking I thought it'd be another Sonic R hater-oriented comment. Sonic R is definitely a love it or hate it game.

It really emcompasses a magical time of the industy. The mid-late 90s. Even the music, similarly seen in games like Ridge Racer Type 4, is filled with that magical uplifting jazzy house music style dipped in Japanese-style game music composition.

decaf

If they've been able to port over NiGHTS from the SEGA AGES collection, it would make sense that Virtua Fighter II and Fighting Vipers are the same deal. They're upgraded slightly and they'd probably have the source for that stuff around.

NiGHTS wasn't part of the SEGA AGES collection, but I agree - the VF2 and FV PS2 versions will almost definitely be the versions these ports will be based on. Gives hope to other (non-Japanese heavy) PS2 AGES titles being released.

I'd bet Sonic the Fighters will be based on the Sonic Gems Collection port. Which in turn gives hope for Sonic R down the road.

The PC version of Sonic 3D Blast has all the main-game art of the Saturn version of the game, but the special stages are weird PC only ones that are awful. At this point it'd probably be best to chuck it in a compilation with Sonic Spinball.

When we look back at the history of XBLA ports of Dreamcast or Saturn, I don't think any of the SEGA games have actually been ported from their original Dreamcast or Saturn versions.
Sonic Adventure XBLA (terrible port) was based on the PC SA DX, NiGHTS XBLA (great port except for minor things the PS2 version omitted such as "Sonic mode"; would have been nice to see them do work to include that) was based on the PS2 SEGA AGES (though not tecnhically part of the SEGA AGES series, it was originally intended if I recall), and so on.
Sonic the Fighters probably based on the GCN Sonic Gems port.
Radiant Silvergun XBLA wasn't done by a SEGA team nor Virtual On OT XBLA (not entirely sure on OT but most likely not).

So yeah...slim chances they'd base Sonic 3D Saturn on the Saturn version, more like the gimped PC version.

Also congrats on being one of the first the world to get all of the achievements in NiGHTS XBLA. Recognized your name on the TrueAchievements top 10 for it. I'm guessing you're another who got an early/review copy.

.la1n

Give me Panzer Dragoon / Zwei. I am still waiting for Guardian Heroes to pop up on PSN...

Yes. I know.

Top Bottom