GameSpot GDC Online Presser: http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamesp..._panel20121010
Pitch Video: http://player.vimeo.com/video/51135962
Main website: http://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/
Kickstarter version: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen
The game and universe is called Star Citizen. Squadron 42 is the campaign mode. Very confusing.
- CryEngine 3
- Singleplayer, Offline Co-Op, Online Modes (Akin to 'Demon's Souls')
- Connect with a huge community online and on the web, sounds kinda similar to an MMO
- User-generated content is a key feature
- Due out at some point in 2014, Alpha Testing next year
- Mash up of Freelancer, Privateer and Wing Commander
- Political drama inspired by the decline and fall of the Roman Empire
- Your goal is to get into Squadron 42, kind of like Space Foreign Legion
- Encourages random exploration of the universe, huge uncharted sections for the taking
- Seems to be Buy to Play, ala Guild Wars 2, once you buy the game, you can play for free online forever.
Some quick questions:
Can I have a medium-sized ship with a single launchable fighter aboard? Yes.
Can I get out of my ship and shoot people in first- or third-person combat? Yes.
Can I hijack an enemy ship? Yes.
Can other players hijack my ship? Yes.
Will there be location-specific damage on spaceships? Yes.
Will there be customizable weapons on hardpoints? Yes.
Can I play with a mouse? Yes.
A gamepad? Yes.
A joystick? Yes.
Will it support Oculus Rift? Yes.
Will it take user-created content (ships, etc) and sell it, splitting revenue with creators? Yes.
Just checked it out, looks fucking amazing. You can go out into space in your own ship, or back into your larger carrier ship for mission debriefing and sim aspects. Looks like fucking Battlestar Galactica scope level crazy awesome.