• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2012 (Oct 01 - Oct 07)

GCX

Will MS ever invest in an actual Japanese gaming studio? Because a regular influx of Japanese games is the only thing that can ever reverse their fortunes.
MS really tried to win Japan in the beginning of this gen and seeing how horrible the results were I doubt they'll bother again.

Elios83

So RE6 on PS3 almost doubles on the RE5 PS3 opening, but on the 360 sales have dropped to about 1/3 of RE5 360's opening week. It's going to be really, really hard for MS to have any worthwhile presence in Japan in the future imo. They were making some progress a few years back, but they've basically flushed it all away. I really don't envision the next MS console even being marketed much in Japan at all.

Microsoft has decided not to invest anymore in Japan after their efforts to get exclusive RPGs failed to create meaningful success for the console.
Next gen it all depends on their priorities. Considering how the market has changed during these years, I doubt that they'll focus on Japan anymore, they have a much more important battle in Europe.

Btw the RE6 success in Japan is depressing, the game is shit, it was made with american gamers in mind, yet japanese gamers have picked it up for the brand name.
At least Vita has passed a million :D Yay?

Fabrik

Banned
It takes at least two poor main entries to damage brand quality unless a reboot occurs.
I think the drop next week for RE6 will be huge.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So RE6 on PS3 almost doubles on the RE5 PS3 opening, but on the 360 sales have dropped to about 1/3 of RE5 360's opening week. It's going to be really, really hard for MS to have any worthwhile presence in Japan in the future imo. They were making some progress a few years back, but they've basically flushed it all away. I really don't envision the next MS console even being marketed much in Japan at all.

I agree.
I think (we don't have rough numbers) that they invested a lot (in exclusives titles developed for the console, Jrpg especially) to obtain very slim results in terms of HW penetration, so...

Kenka

Sony platforms flexing their muscles. :eek:

By the way, the highest ranking game on a Nintendo console ranks lower than the one on 360. When was the last time it happened aside the obvious overall #1 we got in the past?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It will most likely have horrible legs, but it doesn't matter at this point.

I'm not even entirely sure the legs will be awful honestly.

While the game is a poor attempt, it's still attempting to clone a series of popular games, which when combined with fancy graphics, a powerful brand, and a huge marketing budget, has actually ended up pretty well for other titles' legs like Medal of Honor.

I can't think of too many games that fit this criteria that were also relevant in Japan however, so I'm not sure if we have any local comparison points.

Speaking of investing in Japanese studios, whatever happened to Crimson Dragon? A few months back it was delayed a week before it was due to be released on XBLA. The developers said it was not a development issue, but a business decision, and that more details would be announced later. And we've heard nothing. Months have gone by, not a word, and MS wasn't even at TGS this year. Canned?

Its still alive, they released a wp7 spinoff last month. Its fun.

Btw the RE6 success in Japan is depressing, the game is shit, it was made with american gamers in mind, yet japanese gamers have picked it up for the brand name.
At least Vita has passed a million :D Yay?
And I think its a great game with some inherrent flaws. Opinions, opinions, opinions.

It takes at least two poor main entries to damage brand quality unless a reboot occurs.
I think the drop next week for RE6 will be huge.
The drop next week will be huge but not because of the perceived quality. Core franchises which have already had more releases tend to be more frontloaded especially late in a consoles life.

Pooya

Speaking of investing in Japanese studios, whatever happened to Crimson Dragon? A few months back it was delayed a week before it was due to be released on XBLA. The developers said it was not a development issue, but a business decision, and that more details would be announced later. And we've heard nothing. Months have gone by, not a word, and MS wasn't even at TGS this year. Canned?

the game was complete and passed cert too, achievements are out there. They even released a WP7 game based on it, the actual main game is no where to be seen yet.... no news nothing.

edit: I see you found it already :p maybe they retooled the game for wp7, assets in bg are same

watershed

Banned
Nice RE6 and PS3 numbers, I am surprised by both. 3ds software holds nice for the most part, Vita continues being the Vita.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
360 had price cut last week right?

not sure....

A4aoEW6CUAEaTYx.jpg:large

Great RE6 sales. Glad some people are trying it out for themselves rather than listening to strangers on the internet to decide whether they like it or not.

Kouriozan

So RE7 will be more action and less horror because it worked with RE5/6 :(
Hopefully handheld games will be like Revelation.
But I'm amazed by the PS3 bump.

Praise Resigod Evilsus!

And Vita might hit an all-time low next week (no new releases).

Media Create:
2012-05-07 - 6,340
2012-05-14 - 6,347
2012-05-21 - 6,675
2012-05-28 - 7,551
2012-01-10 - 7,957

Will MS ever invest in an actual Japanese gaming studio? Because a regular influx of Japanese games is the only thing that can ever reverse their fortunes.
MS used to have a Tokyo R&D studio in the mid 2000s, with a lot of ex-Sega and Square people. They made Magatama and Phantom Dust on Xbox 1, and I believe started work on Lost Odyssey with Mistwalker before being shut down in 2006 (though most of the staff migrated to AQi/feelplus anyway I think).

MS lack of continued investment in Japan is one of the main reasons I lost interest in my 360. These days they only seem interested in pushing for Kinect stuff there.

I don't either, and as long as they get the franchises that sell in the west (RE, MGS, FF, etc) I don't think they care to be honest.

Sony is gonna be destroyed this holiday season. Vita either needs to be cancelled or relaunched.

MS really tried to win Japan in the beginning of this gen and seeing how horrible the results were I doubt they'll bother again.

There is a difference between moneyhatting and actually building your own talent pool to make the games you want/need.

MS Japan has no talent pool. They don't make games. As much as people lament MS' first party situation in the West, they still manage to put out a few hit games every year. If Japan is a priority for MS, they have to start hiring Japanese devs.

MS used to have a Tokyo R&D studio in the mid 2000s, with a lot of ex-Sega and Square people. They made Magatama and Phantom Dust on Xbox 1, and I believe started work on Lost Odyssey with Mistwalker before being shut down in 2006 (though most of the staff migrated to AQi/feelplus anyway I think).

MS lack of continued investment in Japan is one of the main reasons I lost interest in my 360. These days they only seem interested in pushing for Kinect stuff there.

I hope they continue , the rpgs were why i brought my xbox360.

Big drop for vita, it's going to be interesting to see how low it goes. It's combined US and Japan sales are just downright scary and this thing must be on life support. Europe looks a little better but not all that much.

Massive sales for RE6, can't say i think it deserved it but still very impressive. Looks like the RE brand is as strong as ever.

For a 6 year old console its doing pretty good, especially compared to Wii360.

I'm not sure it's doing that well at all. It's well down on last year and even with 2 big releases this week and the new slim it didn't even beat the corresponding week from last year all that much. If sony think they can ride out the PS3 till 2014 they are in for a big shock imo.

The performance of the wii and 360 only add to this. Right now there is pretty much no competition for the PS3 in the home console market. Soon it will have the wii U to contend with at a similar price point. I'm not sure PS3 sales are going to look good for next year.

There is a difference between moneyhatting and actually building your own talent pool to make the games you want/need.

MS Japan has no talent pool. They don't make games. As much as people lament MS' first party situation in the West, they still manage to put out a few hit games every year. If Japan is a priority for MS, they have to start hiring Japanese devs.

I don't think it is a priority and i don't think it should be. The western markets are far bigger and MS is in a much better position to do well there. They are better off focusing on making gaming studios to focus on those markets.

Did almost as same as BL2 and ME3

Cant compare it with Fifa Can you ?

He said releatively so it depends on how those did compared to the rest of the world or previous releases, both of those (ME3 and BL2) had better openings than their previous entries iirc.

It wasn't mentioned how RE6 stacked up to 5 other than a lowere debut spot on the chart.

beril

Wow at RE6. And to think, all this time we thought it was Japanese gamers enamored with the old tank controls.

I don't really see that helping much at all. Unless you mean invest in buying Capcom, S-E or Nintendo.

They'd need several massive studios to be able to outtput more than one noteworthy title per year. Without any big IPs, a few japanese games won't lure people away from Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy. And Microsoft wll never be able to get those games exclusive so they're better of just making sure that every game possible is cross platform and focus on the people interested in what they can offer. The market for western games is increasing, though it's still quite small; Call of Duty is becoming pretty big seller in japan. That demographic should be much easier for them to go after as they already have a bunch of similiar exclusives.

Top Bottom