• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2012 (Oct 01 - Oct 07)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
HOLY FUCK at Resident Evil 6. Massive debut. Even on 360 O_O

zroid

Banned
Ah I see - fair enough then, thanks!

Reality does suck, I know :(

Poor Vita. One positive thing this chart does show is people are willing to buy the system when desirable games are released for it. It's not a write-off just yet -- a steady stream of titles could very well inject some life into the system.

mujun

Xbox was regularly outselling PS3 fat when they had secured long stream of exclusive jRPGs - but it all went down the drain when first "1 year late" port released and also PS3 reached mainstream price.

Yeah. So basically even with a whole bunch of money sunk into JRPGs on the system it took next to no effort for Sony to overtake. That's my point, I don't think they ever had a real chance.

Reality does suck, I know :(

Poor Vita. One positive thing this chart does show is people are willing to buy the system when desirable games are released for it. It's not a write-off just yet -- a steady stream of titles could very well inject some life into the system.

That's stating the obvious, though. Even GC and 360 had their sales spike when desirable exclusives were released.

The problem is that, after the TGS showing, there's no reason to think that there's ever going to be a steady stream of decent support for the system, particularly exclusive support.

For Vita June and I don't see it changing, for PS3 October or December

I see so the persona 4 release month. Just checked and project diva was released at the end of august I though it was the beginning of september initially. thanks for that. What would the instance of june being the best selling month for vita this year say about the current vita software situation? Should we be normally expecting its biggest month to be somewhere between oct-dec each year?

I guess this "at least it's not selling negative numbers" point of view is one way of looking at the charts.
If those anecdotes about huge numbers of used Vitas hold in a widespread manner...

Why did the 360 fail in Japan, anyways? My impression is that they cargo culted a bunch of big exclusive RPGs without also ensuring they got leggier exclusives to fill in the holes in between. Kinda reminds me of Vita present-day, a bit.

If those anecdotes about huge numbers of used Vitas hold in a widespread manner...

Why did the 360 fail in Japan, anyways? My impression is that they cargo culted a bunch of big exclusive RPGs without also ensuring they got leggier exclusives to fill in the holes in between. Kinda reminds me of Vita present-day, a bit.

Xbox 360 had more exclusive rpg than vita. Then they all dried up........... :(

Furoba

This month Blue and Red PSP Vita. Likely not to make a dent.

Still, however limited, I've been seeing more Vita's on the train as of late.

mclem

28./19. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 3.813 / 1.568.788 (-24%)

:(

Would that just be a side-effect of the fact that a new colour 3DS came out last week, so quite a few people picked up the game with their purchase? Was there a spike last week?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Would that just be a side-effect of the fact that a new colour 3DS came out last week, so quite a few people picked up the game with their purchase? Was there a spike last week?

I think it could be more related to the announcement of the new bundle with MH3 pre-installed on the 3DSLL (release: November 1st)

Vita, so much potential wasted. I will enjoy it to the bitter end, anyway. There're still many PS1 and PSP games I wanna play on the Vita.

Yeah. So basically even with a whole bunch of money sunk into JRPGs on the system it took next to no effort for Sony to overtake. That's my point, I don't think they ever had a real chance.

I don't know what it would take for an American company to be the top selling system in Japan. I don't think we will ever know. Not next gen at least as the WiiU will dominate in the region. MS trying to win Japan is just pissing in the wind.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
November 15th though I don't think that's really gonna do anything.
It seems like these are new standard colors rather than being limited. If that's the case, I agree: why would any significant number of people bother? This ain't the Miku LE.

At this rate production will be so low that the colors will actually be somewhat rare, or they'll sit on shelves and collect dust long enough to be readily available after the price drop in 2013. Sure would be convenient for me if they did a red Value Pack at that point...

saichi

If it is the navy blue - look at the chart YOU posted, it has had a small bump and stayed and around that level - hence a small increase.

Edit : obviously it can't go down lol but it could stay in a straight like which it isn't - by a tiny amount. Anyway it doesn't matter.

Since week 24 when P4G was released.

This week: 7.957

I'm not sure how the weekly average increases when it hits the lowest number in 17 weeks.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The real test when an ill received game in a major series is released isn't how well that game sells, it's how well the next game in the series does.

RE 7, Mass Effect 4, Dragon Age 3 are games to watch for this trend. Arguably you could point to FF XIII-2 or XIV as an example but those both have technicalities that don't quite follow the pattern.

Mandoric

Banned
I don't really see that helping much at all. Unless you mean invest in buying Capcom, S-E or Nintendo.

They'd need several massive studios to be able to outtput more than one noteworthy title per year. Without any big IPs, a few japanese games won't lure people away from Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy. And Microsoft wll never be able to get those games exclusive so they're better of just making sure that every game possible is cross platform and focus on the people interested in what they can offer. The market for western games is increasing, though it's still quite small; Call of Duty is becoming pretty big seller in japan. That demographic should be much easier for them to go after as they already have a bunch of similiar exclusives.

Hunting big exclusives didn't work for them at all, I'm not sure why you think they should pursue it. Part of that is because they were really bad at picking winners but there's two bigger issues at play:
a) Moral hazard; Rolling up and hatting an exclusive just screams to the rest of the industry "hold out for a better offer from these guys"
b) In a market as used-centric as Japan, if you're pushing out one big title a year and nothing else that means that the average console is spending 11 months plus collecting dust in the back of a game shop. The second shop owners lose confidence in your next hit, they drop the buyback price, and if the buyback price drops that's a bunch of effectively console renters who just got burnt hard for trying your machine and aren't gonna be coming back.

If they had gone to the same guys and given them $2.5 million a year rather than $25 million for one year, they'd have a lot more solid position. Instead, they lit fat stacks of Benjamins on fire, realized what they'd done, ran around in a panic because the budget sky was falling, and cut the middle-to-low tier staff that could've handed them a decent market position loose so they could go keep the PSP propped up instead.

The real test when an ill received game in a major series is released isn't how well that game sells, it's how well the next game in the series does.

RE 7, Mass Effect 4, Dragon Age 3 are games to watch for this trend. Arguably you could point to FF XIII-2 or XIV as an example but those both have technicalities that don't quite follow the pattern.

But RE5 and Operation Raccoon City have already been bad games.

So other systems timeline to reach a million are:

Vita 10 months
PS3 8 months
PS2 48 hours

I can't find the original PSP or PS1 timeframe.

PS3 took that long to get to 1 million? Never knew that. How long did it take the 360 and the Nintendo and Sega systems? I don't think the Xbox ever got there.

Meier

Wow @ those RE6 numbers. I imagine there will be a huge influx of used copies available given how much crap it's received..

Kikujiro

This.

I mean, I wouldn't call RE5 bad, personally, but it's on the same level as RE6.

Yeah, RE5 is considered an awful game, especially here on GAF, so I don't understand why some of you are making excuses. Maybe people like RE6 for being RE6? It's not like only quality sells.

liger05

There is no way the Vita will bounce back into a position where it sells what the 3DS does on a weekly basis. The TGS confirmed sony aint gonna do anything significant and the chances of the vita staging such a recovery is very very slim.

Eternia

Xbox was regularly outselling PS3 fat when they had secured long stream of exclusive jRPGs - but it all went down the drain when first "1 year late" port released and also PS3 reached mainstream price.
If you mean regularly by those 2-3 weeks it was actually above it, sure. Most of that occurred in the 3rd year of the 360 which was meaningless considering they didn't have any significant exclusive software left after that. There was no challenge at all so don't make it sound bigger than it really was.

Anyways, RE6 numbers are huge! I was expecting closer to ~500k combined for the opening but it blew away those expectations.

beril

Hunting big exclusives didn't work for them at all, I'm not sure why you think they should pursue it. Part of that is because they were really bad at picking winners but there's two bigger issues at play:
a) Moral hazard; Rolling up and hatting an exclusive just screams to the rest of the industry "hold out for a better offer from these guys"
b) In a market as used-centric as Japan, if you're pushing out one big title a year and nothing else that means that the average console is spending 11 months plus collecting dust in the back of a game shop. The second shop owners lose confidence in your next hit, they drop the buyback price, and if the buyback price drops that's a bunch of effectively console renters who just got burnt hard for trying your machine and aren't gonna be coming back.

If they had gone to the same guys and given them $2.5 million a year rather than $25 million for one year, they'd have a lot more solid position. Instead, they lit fat stacks of Benjamins on fire, realized what they'd done, ran around in a panic because the budget sky was falling, and cut the middle-to-low tier staff that could've handed them a decent market position loose so they could go keep the PSP propped up instead.

I didn't say they should hunt big exclusives. I said they should get cross platform games but otherwise stop trying to pander to the traditional japanese taste. Because that's a loosing battle; they have no chance of luring away Final Fantasy fans with an exclusive Star Ocean or a new IP, certainly not while FF isn't cross platform. But they might be able to lure the CoD players and to some of the RE players to their platform by promoting Halo and GoW more, which is games they already have. It's no going to make them "win" japan but I think they could do a bit better next gen with less effort

Top Bottom