• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

sflufan
(10-12-2012, 05:51 PM)
Because this is the new RUMOR floating around based on a supposed concept art leak:

http://gamingbolt.com/stars-of-barat...ncept-art-leak

// Mod Edit:

Original link with more art: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1217651

Originally Posted by Facepunch

An inside source has confirmed that SOB (Valve's new IP) is an unannounced game entitled Stars of Barathrum (working title). Plays like privateer/freelancer but also with the ability to command larger cruisers and capital ships. It's a very vast and open-world game where you choose your own adventure, a lot of internal resources are being put into SOB.

Last edited by Nirolak; 10-12-2012 at 06:44 PM.
tnaden
(10-12-2012, 05:53 PM)
Valve will always get my money whatever they do

It sounds interesting.. different from what they've done so far.
Jhriad
(10-12-2012, 05:58 PM)
Hats in Space? Nah, I think I'm good.
ShaneB
(10-12-2012, 05:59 PM)
Day 1034 when and if it comes out!

Open world space game and Valve sounds just terrific.
TheExodu5
(10-12-2012, 05:59 PM)
Please be true.
TheNiX
(10-12-2012, 06:00 PM)
Cue ARG.
jet1911
(10-12-2012, 06:01 PM)
As long as it's not a pay per month game I'm in.
Gannd
Banned
(10-12-2012, 06:02 PM)
I want this so badly. I would love it.
1-D_FTW
(10-12-2012, 06:05 PM)
I like the mention of open world, space, and Valve.

I don't like the article speculation of MMO.

But it could be interesting as long as it's more open world than MMO.
BrokenEchelon
(10-12-2012, 06:05 PM)
Valve is remaking EVE?

Ok, I guess. I hope it isn't some barebones F2P game that nickel and dimes us for features.

And please don't bring up TF2. It started life as part of TOB then became a standalone game, and was only monetized later in order to continue community support. It's a severe outlier in terms of both success and quality of F2P games.
sflufan
(10-12-2012, 06:06 PM)
Do you guys recall how Valve is very much interested in changing the way a player interacts with a game through input devices?

Wouldn't a space sim be an ideal way to implement this kind of new input method?
Derrick01
Banned
(10-12-2012, 06:07 PM)
If it wasn't a MMO I'd be very interested.
Darklord
(10-12-2012, 06:07 PM)
I'd go crazy. That would be incredible. EVE's unrestricted freedom with freelancers more accessible gameplay.
sflufan
(10-12-2012, 06:08 PM)

Originally Posted by BrokenEchelon

Valve is remaking EVE?

Ok, I guess. I hope it isn't some barebones F2P game that nickel and dimes us for features.

And please don't bring up TF2. It started life as part of TOB then became a standalone game, and was only monetized later in order to continue community support. It's a severe outlier in terms of both success and quality of F2P games.

Can I bring up DOTA 2 then?
hayguyz
Banned
(10-12-2012, 06:08 PM)

Originally Posted by tnaden

Valve will always get my money whatever they do

Even a new version of Richochet? You poor fool...
Blast Processing
(10-12-2012, 06:09 PM)
Stars of Bathroom
LuchaShaq
(10-12-2012, 06:10 PM)
Have never enjoyed a game on the source engine but I would certainly try it out.
sp3000
(10-12-2012, 06:10 PM)
MMO

How about No.

The brilliance of Freelancer was that it was single player.
Rodney McKay
(10-12-2012, 06:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Derrick01

Agreed.

If it's something like that crazy space sim game coming in 2014 where it's got MMO elements but still has a meaty single player then I'm fine with that.
Blast Processing
(10-12-2012, 06:12 PM)
I'd be more than willing to give it a try. I like space, and I like Valve.
Darklord
(10-12-2012, 06:13 PM)

It wouldn't be the WoW-style MMO you're thinking of though. MMO's can be amazing and were amazing before everyone went the same greedy WoW path.
Xiaoki
(10-12-2012, 06:13 PM)
The spaceship flying in space MMO field is pretty dominated by Eve.

Yeah, its probably a more action-y type spaceship flying in space MMO but that didnt help other competitors like Earth and Beyond and Black Prophecy.

So, I have to wonder how is this going to differentiate itself from the Eve juggernaut while still being appealing to the same crowd?
Grief.exe
Don't stop believin'~~~ hold on to the feeling
(10-12-2012, 06:14 PM)

Originally Posted by BrokenEchelon

Valve is remaking EVE?

Case in point DOTA 2...oh wait.

Valve's whole model in F2P games is getting people to subscribe to their service, if they lose money on an individual game its irrelevant as long as they get more and more people on steam.

Sounds awesome though, especially after hearing about Star Citizen.
Last edited by Grief.exe; 10-12-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Derrick01
Banned
(10-12-2012, 06:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Darklord

It wouldn't be the WoW-style MMO you're thinking of though. MMO's can be amazing and were amazing before everyone went the same greedy WoW path.

It would still involve playing with other people and I no longer want that in games. People ruin everything.
scitek
(10-12-2012, 06:16 PM)
Chris Roberts' project would be overshadowed if this is true. I like Valve, but I want a game like his in CryEngine over Source.
Glass Rebel
(10-12-2012, 06:17 PM)
Valve is a great developer so I'd try it one way or another. I'd prefer it to be single player though.
Randdalf
(10-12-2012, 06:17 PM)
I don't think it would be an MMO... in any case, isn't Barathrum the old name of Spirit Breaker in Dota 2?
sp3000
(10-12-2012, 06:18 PM)

Originally Posted by scitek

Chris Roberts' project would be overshadowed if this is true. I like Valve, but I want a game like his in CryEngine over Source.

Yeah I would take CE3 over Source anyday. It sucks that they are still using that tired old engine.
1-D_FTW
(10-12-2012, 06:19 PM)

Which is the only reason I'd keep an open mind if true. I've never met an MMO I liked, but I don't think Valve would be following anyone else's blueprint.

Plus I take comfort in the article talking about rumors of Valve, space, open-world. The whole MMO part seems like unrelated speculation that's purely on the author's part. So who knows if that's even part of it.

It could be some weird new genre that only gets lumped into the MMO category because it's convenient labeling. Assuming the whole thing is even true. But I'm open to believing because I could see Valve trying some type of new genre game that people have difficulty classifying.
Sho_Nuff82
MMO just means I'll never play it.
Archie
Second-rate Anihawk
EVE with gameplay?

Sign me up.
Baron_Calamity
(10-12-2012, 06:20 PM)
As long as I can ignore the mmo part, sure.
Xiaoki
(10-12-2012, 06:20 PM)

It would still involve playing with other people and I no longer want that in games. People ruin everything.

If people ruin everything then single player games are similarly ruined because they have a single person playing it.

So, by your logic the act of you playing any video game at all ruins the game. Good job.
Randdalf
(10-12-2012, 06:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Grief.exe

Case in point DOTA 2...oh wait.

Valve's whole model in F2P games is getting people to subscribe to their service, if they lose money on an individual game its irrelevant as long as they get more and more people on steam.

Sounds awesome though, especially after hearing about Star Citizen.

Valve's model in F2P is to sell cosmetic items that don't affect gameplay and let spending money only be a shortcut to unlocking stuff. A side effect may be an increase in Steam users, but Dota 2 and TF2 both make massive amounts of money on their own.

edit: On the source for this story, Facepunch, there's no mention of MMO. It's only mentioned as speculation by the person who wrote the article.
Exuro
(10-12-2012, 06:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Archie

EVE with gameplay?

Sign me up.

Pretty much this.

Also, great acronym.
Derrick01
Banned
(10-12-2012, 06:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Xiaoki

If people ruin everything then single player games are similarly ruined because they have a single person playing it.

So, by your logic the act of you playing any video game at all ruins the game. Good job.

You're trying too hard.
Zia
(10-12-2012, 06:25 PM)
That's Gabe's "dream game," so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Crosses fingers, holds breath and sits on hands.
Corto
(10-12-2012, 06:26 PM)
Ecstatic for this game, sad for Half Life 3.
JustinBB7
(10-12-2012, 06:29 PM)
Whenever Valve announces (or leaks like this) a new game I'm always scared it will be bad. I had that with Portal and Left 4 Dead first, then with Dota 2. But those are all my top played games/favorite games.

But again, this doesn't look like a Valve game to me, but hopefully they will prove me wrong and make an amazing game like they always do. If it's an MMO though I really hope it's not with monthly fee, but knowing Valve they won't do that anyway.
Absoludacrous
(10-12-2012, 06:29 PM)
I would kill for a game like EVE where you have direct control over your ship.
Azzurri
(10-12-2012, 06:30 PM)

Just make it like SWG pre NGE.

Yup, that's the problem every MMO now wants WOW money, so they try and copy the same old themepark design.
Littlegator
Banned
(10-12-2012, 06:30 PM)
hats can't even exist in space because there's no air for the compression waves to propogate through
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(10-12-2012, 06:32 PM)
I see the Dota 2 shopkeeper survived well into the future:

Shadow Hog
(10-12-2012, 06:32 PM)
I'd probably pass on it like I intend to pass on Dota 2. Not my genre.
CheesecakeRecipe
(10-12-2012, 06:34 PM)
Eh, if this was single player I would be more excited. I like shit like X3 and Freelancer because I can do everything on my own without having to worry about other players.
Xiaoki
(10-12-2012, 06:35 PM)

You're trying too hard.

Im not the one that came in here just to crap on a game just because its multiplayer.
Keyouta
I'd buy it. Space, open world, and Valve seems like it could work very well. Here's hoping.
crimsonheadGCN
4chan's Official Representative

Originally Posted by Zia

That's Gabe's "dream game," so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Crosses fingers, holds breath and sits on hands.

Yeah, he mentioned it a while back.

Also, it is worth noting that Gabe wanted to bring back Prospero as an MMO when TF2 was "done." Maybe some of the ideas from Prospero went into this.
snoopeasystreet
(10-12-2012, 06:36 PM)
Maybe this why they hired Hocking. Seems like his kind of jam.
Loona
(10-12-2012, 06:39 PM)
Isn't EVE currently one of the backbones of Iceland's economy? Does Gabe want to go to war with a country or something?...

Maybe it won't be that similar, and replacing hats with custom ship paintjobs could be interesting...