• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

legacyzero
Member
(10-13-2012, 01:46 AM)
legacyzero's Avatar


I don't know if it nostalgia goggles, or my deep love for the previous generations in games, but I REALLY miss games that utilized Pre-Rendered backdrops.

There's a certain level of charm in games that had this. Can you imagine a a game this gen, or next that utilized only these?? Super hi-res backgrounds!

Games like the old RE's, of course Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis, etc! I miss those days, and perhaps games THESE days could benefit from such a method.

Let's talk pre-rendered!
SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(10-13-2012, 01:47 AM)
SalsaShark's Avatar
in 2012? not really

there was a certain charm but in this day and age it would be hard to see through the shittyness that pre-rendered backgrounds would mean. The disconnect between 3D models and 2D backgrounds is just too great now, specially when you count modern lighting/shading/etc
Dennis
Banned
(10-13-2012, 01:47 AM)
Dennis's Avatar


Also, inb4 REmake
Last edited by Dennis; 10-13-2012 at 01:50 AM.
SniperHunter
Banned
(10-13-2012, 01:48 AM)
No we don't....consoles these days are powerful enough to render great environments and characters together.
John Rabbit
Member
(10-13-2012, 01:49 AM)
John Rabbit's Avatar
we LITERALLY just had this thread, the OP even has a screen from the same game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491994
Rickenslacker
Member
(10-13-2012, 01:49 AM)
Rickenslacker's Avatar
Prerendered means one optimal resolution which means fuck that.
legacyzero
Member
(10-13-2012, 01:52 AM)
legacyzero's Avatar

Originally Posted by John Rabbit

we LITERALLY just had this thread, the OP even has a screen from the same game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491994

Holy crap..

So I'm not the only one? lol as much as I'm on GAF, you'd think I would have saw that.
WonkersTHEWatilla
Member
(10-13-2012, 02:03 AM)
WonkersTHEWatilla's Avatar

Originally Posted by John Rabbit

we LITERALLY just had this thread, the OP even has a screen from the same game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491994

Hey, my thread!

Originally Posted by legacyzero

Holy crap..

So I'm not the only one? lol as much as I'm on GAF, you'd think I would have saw that.

Nope, you're not, though in the days since I first made that thread, I've been wavering on the idea of bringing back pre-rendered backdrops in games. Like I said in that thread (and like Rickenslacker says just above), pre-rendered backgrounds are hindered by advances in screen resolutions. They upscale poorly.

I've come to accept that part of the reason why I loved pre-rendered backgrounds was because of the locked camera and predetermined camera angles. I think we should see more of that in games.
Durante
I'm taking it FROM here, so says Mr. Stewart
(10-13-2012, 02:05 AM)
Durante's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rickenslacker

Prerendered means one optimal resolution which means fuck that.

You can just prerender at the highest feasible resolution and then downscale that.

I think Project Eternity is in a good position to pull it off since they don't have to consider memory-challenged platforms such as consoles or tablets.
legacyzero
Member
(10-13-2012, 02:09 AM)
legacyzero's Avatar

Originally Posted by WonkersTHEWatilla

Hey, my thread!



Nope, you're not, though in the days since I first made that thread, I've been wavering on the idea of bringing back pre-rendered backdrops in games. Like I said in that thread (and like Rickenslacker says just above), pre-rendered backgrounds are hindered by advances in screen resolutions. They upscale poorly.

I've come to accept that part of the reason why I loved pre-rendered backgrounds was because of the locked camera and predetermined camera angles. I think we should see more of that in games.

Originally Posted by Durante

You can just prerender at the highest feasible resolution and then downscale that.

I think Project Eternity is in a good position to pull it off since they don't have to consider memory-challenged platforms such as consoles or tablets.

This was what I was thinking. Why not just have it at a super high resolution that just scales to fit?
SoulPlaya
more money than God
(10-13-2012, 02:12 AM)
SoulPlaya's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dennis



Also, inb4 REmake

What game is this?
Nemo
Will Eat Your Children
(10-13-2012, 02:18 AM)
Nemo's Avatar
Prerendered scenes today could easily be used without there being that disparity you saw in older games. I mean even oddworld today still looks absolutely amazing, the scope of that game was unreal. People saying it's not needed with today's tech are delusional

There's room for it, it's just not being used
WonkersTHEWatilla
Member
(10-13-2012, 02:19 AM)
WonkersTHEWatilla's Avatar

Originally Posted by legacyzero

This was what I was thinking. Why not just have it at a super high resolution that just scales to fit?

Like Durante said, at least for consoles and the like: memory.

I'd love to see pre-rendered backgrounds made in 8K or something.
Llyranor
Member
(10-13-2012, 02:19 AM)
Llyranor's Avatar

Originally Posted by SoulPlaya

What game is this?

Project Eternity, the kickstarter RPG by Obsidian
Neo Child
Banned
(10-13-2012, 02:21 AM)
Neo Child's Avatar
makes me want to play final fantasy 8, the first final fantasy i got into <3
Unicorn
Member
(10-13-2012, 02:25 AM)
Unicorn's Avatar

Originally Posted by legacyzero

This was what I was thinking. Why not just have it at a super high resolution that just scales to fit?

Yeah, I isn't that the whole point of pre rendered? Something so grand and detailed it can't be rendered real time, ie something so dense in detail that it would be super high res.
injurai
Member
(10-13-2012, 02:30 AM)
injurai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Llyranor

Project Eternity, the kickstarter RPG by Obsidian

Wow, this is shaping up just swell.

Thread Tools