• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It’s been 3 long years since Nadine Coyle, Nicola Roberts, Cheryl Cole, Sarah Harding and Kimberley Walsh–better known as Girls Aloud, and more commonly ’round these parts as the Almighty Aloud–last released a tune together.

Life as we knew it grew cold. The summer no longer long nor hot…until now.

After years of rumors, months of speculation and days of teasing (with 3 more still to go, officially), the girls have finally made good on their promise to give us something once again. And this time, it’s something kinda…new.

Welcome to the sound of the Aloud in 2012.

Just as they did 6 years ago with “Something Kinda Ooooh” off of The Sound of Girls Aloud, the girls have returned with a blast of pop of the fiercest proportions: It’s incredible. An instant smash. The ultimate. Perfection.

But how do I love thee specifically, Aloud? Let me count the ways…

The beat, first of all, is absolutely enormous. Huge and insane. It’s like a blend between Calvin Harris, the searing synthesizers of Lady Gaga‘s “Bad Romance” and Havana Brown‘s “We Run The Night,” all colored by constant explosions, weird electronica glitches, and big, bright piano chords evoking early ’90′s House anthems.

Much like any good Aloud tune, the structure of “Something New” is…well, also insane. (See: “Sexy! No, No, No” and “Biology”.) Really, which other group can so effortlessly dive back and forth between massive melodic choruses, aggressive raps, uncontrollable yelps and rowdy arena-ready chants?

Only the Aloud can cram 10 songs into one package and still sound coherent. And this time, it sounds like one major career retrospective: The tongue-tying rallying cry of “Go girls, go-go-go, go, go!” recalling “Graffiti My Soul” and “Miss You Bow Wow,” the heavily synthesized dance-pop pulsations of “The Show” and “Something Kinda Ooooh,” the male vocoder of “Sexy! No, No, No,” Sarah’s yelping moment recalling “The Promise,” a lyric that nods to “Sound of the Underground” (“Feel the beat deep underground/Boy tonight, it’s gettin’ loud”)–the track plays like both a grand reintroduction and a celebration of some of the Aloud’s finest moments.

“All I want is something new/Something I can hold onto/I don’t want to talk, I just want to dance,” the girls croon on the melodic earworm of a chorus. But the true centerpiece of the track comes at the 2:45 mark, as the Aloud charge into battle with one of their fiercest chants of their career: “We’re the leaders of the pack!” they triumphantly declare on repeat during the song’s glorious, aggressively explosive 30-second finale.

The Aloud never really needed to assert their dominance on top of the girl pop pack in the past (the Top 10 track record speaks for itself), but “Something New” is a brilliantly bitchy way of reminding the lesser groups working their way up–The Saturdays and Little Mix, for example–that they might want to consider checking their wigs at the door.

Apart from the song’s legendary battle cry, how perfectly ferocious is the title itself, “Something New”? It’s as if–after 3 years away from the scene as the troupe–the girls sat down with Brian Higgins in the Xeno studio and said “Right, all this other shit on the radio is boring. Let’s let them have it.” It’s brilliantly minimal, like a Pet Shop Boys title.

And despite fears that the troupe might be able to recreate the magic after an extended hiatus, there’s nothing unnatural about “Something New.” In fact, the Aloud have never sounded more like themselves: Nadine belting out the chorus with her diva-sized pipes, Chezza serving us her best attempt at street realness during the rap (her “I like it like THAT!” roar is just too genius), Sarah yelping wildly, baby Nicola not being given her due microphone time, and Kimba sounding jolly to be going along for the ride.

This song is why I’ll always love the Aloud: It’s an unapologetic aural assault of stilettos ‘n’ sass pop that plays like the troupe never parted ways. But the real magic is in the songcraft, which is what has always put the Aloud 50 stories high above the rest: The unexpected verses, the nonsensical lyrics, the constant bouncing in between vocalists–all of it gives their music an extra power-pop punch of personality.

“Something New” is a new Aloud favorite, and a clear contender for best single of 2012. It’s everything a comeback single should sound like. (Just imagine if Spice‘s “Headlines” were actually this fierce.) Almost impossibly, they’ve lived up to the hype.

Who run this mother? As if there was even any doubt.

Your faves have had their wigs DISPENSED with and their PATHETIC attempts at comeback singles WELL AND TRULY CLOCKED by the COMEBACK OF THE DECADE AND SINGLE OF THE YEAR.

BYEBYE LEONA HEWIS, HEWTINA AGUILESSOR, ELLIE HEWLING, YOU TRIIIEDDD THOOOOOOO.

If this is to be the end of Girls Aloud then what BETTER way to end it than a song so great that 2012 will be remembered as the YEAR OF THE ALMIGHTY.

Peru

I don't know, it's not horrible but I feel the Girls Aloud single is a bit of a non-event. Kinda dated with a touch of Calvin. I WISh they'd cram ten songs in it to make it as crazy as possible, a statement instead of semi-safe thing. I say this as a stan who owns their gorgeous singles box set, but maybe it will grow on me.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I can finally actually link it now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkTgYpjmhw0

iyjIEHlZO72TM.gif
iyjIEHlZO72TM.gif

iyjIEHlZO72TM.gif
iyjIEHlZO72TM.gif

I don't know, it's not horrible but I feel the Girls Aloud single is a bit of a non-event. Kinda dated with a touch of Calvin. I WISh they'd cram ten songs in it to make it as crazy as possible, a statement instead of semi-safe thing. I say this as a stan who owns their gorgeous singles box set, but maybe it will grow on me.

I've listened to it about fifteen times already. I get the CH reference but imo it's much bigger and more inventive than anything Calvin has done, it doesn't rely on his dated loud-quiet, singer+verse-synth+chorus, schtick. It's just relentless and massive.

Girls Aloud

Girls Aloud Girls Aloud Girls Aloud Girls Aloud Girls Aloud Girls Aloud
Girls Aloud Girls Aloud Girls Aloud Girls Aloud Girls Aloud [...]
Girls Aloud Girls Aloud

http://www.popjustice.com/briefing/girls-aloud/102886/

I think PJ like it...

Styles

Sis, I was shading this song shortly after it premiered, but on a whim I decided to give it another try and now I CAN'T STOP.

ibqBfU1n5mNyv9.gif

It was a joyous occasion until Squints did an Etta James Funeral on the room and certain BABOONS comitted unspeakable treasons.

A state of DISGRACE, if you will.

I am EMBARRASSED for The Nation.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sis, I was shading this song shortly after it premiered, but on a whim I decided to give it another try and now I CAN'T STOP.

ibqBfU1n5mNyv9.gif

YOU

BETTER

STAN

ibmLgv1jpfUDTG.gif

iCyMoSNe2nQAc.gif

ibmLgv1jpfUDTG.gif

reiogjeriogjdlkfgjs;dgkjl

Sorry I was late to the PARTY, I have been WITHOUT INTERNET.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I am actually in a state of meltdown rn

I have waited so long for this and it has smashed my expectations

The video preview looks so good to...so giffable

I am slaid, #dead #cremated. There are no words.

pls play Something New on repeat at my funeral

ibj1kek1x02v3mscrx8.gif

xxczx

yeah, I wish I could adopt a surrogate fave that's currently smashing on the charts, too. *le sigh* I guess I'll just settle for my fave domination national television.
io3IVKfLR0KJ6.gif

who knows though? Your Body has managed to hang in thurr in spite of all the stiff competition. Sleeper hit? Hmm!

irXyJwjlvViz5.gif
omg dat gif

Dalia >>>
New York tried tho
irXyJwjlvViz5.gif

EDIT: LAUGHING at HEWril Lavgine being in the banner

Majmun

That's the new GA song?

I swear, Calvin Hurris should stop polluting the industy with his generic tunes.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That's the new GA song?

I swear, Calvin Hurris should stop polluting the industy with his generic tunes.
Except that it has GA's trademark '10 different choruses in one song', whereas with CH you're lucky if the verse and chorus are even different.

It's more like GA's flaw free pop masterclass Something Kinda Ooh than anything CH has created tbh

Trigger

I honestly wouldn't mind if Calvin Harris went away regardless of my feelings for the new GA track. He's played out.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I like State of Grace, but these songs that have been released make me wonder...

How is she going to sing all of this live and, more importantly, sing it well?

She is not a strong vocalist. Her studio produced tracks are always better than their live counterparts because she cannot sing that well. Don't even try to argue that because everyone knows it's true. The one exception that I can think of is her live SU2C performance of "Ronan" vs the iTunes released track; the live performance was better. There's one line in particular I'm thinking of that doesn't scan well in the iTunes version, but she made it work live. I don't know why there was a difference. You would think they'd have gotten it right in the studio, not on stage.

These new songs are all over the place stylistically though. I don't know if she has the proper range or vocal strength to sing this all live in a concert setting.

I love Taylor, but I have no desire to see her live because I don't want to ruin the illusion that she's a great superstar. Her voice has definitely gotten better over the past couple of years, but the girl has a long way to go if she wants to sing the songs she has been recording as well as she should be.

Then again, maybe I've just been spoiled by Kelly and my standards are too high...'cause that bitch can sing her face off.

royalan

I like State of Grace, but these songs that have been released make me wonder...

How is she going to sing all of this live and, more importantly, sing it well?

She is not a strong vocalist. Her studio produced tracks are always better than their live counterparts because she cannot sing that well. Don't even try to argue that because everyone knows it's true. The one exception that I can think of is her live SU2C performance of "Ronan" vs the iTunes released track; the live performance was better. There's one line in particular I'm thinking of that doesn't scan well in the iTunes version, but she made it work live. I don't know why there was a difference. You would think they'd have gotten it right in the studio, not on stage.

These new songs are all over the place stylistically though. I don't know if she has the proper range or vocal strength to sing this all live in a concert setting.

I love Taylor, but I have no desire to see her live because I don't want to ruin the illusion that she's a great superstar. Her voice has definitely gotten better over the past couple of years, but the girl has a long way to go if she wants to sing the songs she has been recording as well as she should be.

Then again, maybe I've just been spoiled by Kelly and my standards are too high...'cause that bitch can sing her face off.

I suppose you'll deal the same way you dealt every other era. Taylor has never been able to sing her own music, regardless of style.

Peru

As someone who has seen her live, no, that's not true. She nailed every song on her setlist for the Speak Now tour. She's obviously made her way for her songwriting craft and not as a belter, but she can do big stadium anthems no problem and her voice has always been one of the reasons I've been drawn to the music. I don't know why she's flunked some TV performances, but they're not indicative of the live product.

She does very well when in her own element on her own stage http://youtu.be/cvhnQkEldAA

not limited to one particular style either, if that's the worry: http://youtu.be/V2VG21x6R78?t=1m7s

Trigger

I don't think anything I've heard from Taylor has ever been that vocally demanding. Her performances and album versions have been closer in quality than most. I think she understands her limits.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I don't think anything I've heard from Taylor has ever been that vocally demanding. Her performances and album versions have been closer in quality than most. I think she understands her limits.

While I'm not a Taylor fan I do agree with this. She knows her limits and that gets her more respect from me. Some artists try to go doing more than they can chew and end up looking terrible at it.

royalan

ic8BZNyauavUk.gif

So sad, 'cos it's a great track.

It really is. ;_____;

Still here for #LOTUSERA though. :(

At least it's comforting to know that since her personal life isn't shambles and she has no obligations to promote a movie, we'll at least get a full era this time.

Trigger

Lotus needs to drop already. I heard that Christina was going to be on Chelsea Lately sometime this month so hopefully we hear news of the next single (or maybe she's just going to give The Voice more promo).

xaosslug

CHRISTINA AGUILERA - Your Body: 28.897 (- 0.153)

RIP

28alt1wdwu7p.gif

i guess she'll just have to rule TV, for now.

The Voice Rating by the half-hour:

8:00pm - 4.1 11.76
8:30pm - 4.8 12.95
9:00pm - 5.2 13.97
9:30pm - 5.3 14.04

isEMgrQJarslU.gif

(i still wouldn't count Your Body out, just yet. I think you are all being premature in calling it's end nigh, and are in for omelet facials all-around...
ix7quLnZ9UmJg.jpg
)

xaosslug

OMG, this thread is gonna be so. so. fun. when Your Body hits top 10 on the Hot 100, and eventually #1...!!!! I can already imagine all the excuses and meltdowns.
ibjZgkGseOBnp.png

ibl5iX1q6jOdN6.gif

Mau ®

BEYONCE WILL PERFORM AT THE SUPERBOWL

All the single ladies will be watching the upcoming Super Bowl along with football lovers. That’s because Beyonce is the halftime show performer.

A source familiar with Super Bowl XLVII told The Associated Press the Grammy-winning diva will take the stage at the halftime show on Feb. 3, 2013, at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans. The source spoke on condition of anonymity because that person wasn’t authorized to publicly reveal the information.

The official announcement is expected Wednesday, the source said.

Beyonce, whose pop and R&B hits include “Crazy in Love,” ‘’Irreplaceable” and “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It),” has won 16 Grammy Awards. The 31-year-old sang the national anthem at Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2004 in her hometown of Houston when the New England Patriots defeated the Carolina Panthers.

Madonna performed at halftime at this year’s Super Bowl in February with guests CeeLo Green, Nicki Minaj, LMFAO and M.I.A. The New York Giants beat the New England Patriots in a thrilling rematch of the contest four years earlier. Her performance was seen by 114 million people, a higher average than the game itself, which was seen by an estimated 111.3 million people, according to the Nielsen Co.

If Beyonce’s performance at the Pepsi NFL Halftime Show features collaborations, it could likely include husband-rapper Jay-Z and her Destiny’s Child bandmates Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams.

New Orleans last hosted a Super Bowl in 2002, making next year’s game the first NFL championship in the city since Hurricane Katrina devastated parts of the Louisiana Superdome in 2005. Pepsi is returning as the sponsor for the halftime show since doing so in 2007 when Prince performed.

GET DAT MASSIVE PROMO BEY.

tumblr_m6szipLmVw1rxpbdvo1_500.gif

Bladenic

Well fuck..

It's happened.

I like a UK Aloud track.

Why are people shading Calvin? The beat for the song is ridiculous.

Brb going to listen to their albums

royalan

(i still wouldn't count Your Body out, just yet. I think you are all being premature in calling it's end nigh, and are in for omelet facials all-around...
ix7quLnZ9UmJg.jpg
)

You know Sis, I still want to believe. I mean, I haven't been following radio trends very long, so I don't know history or patterns or whatever; but from what I'm reading it seems like there's still something in store for the single. A lot of big stations still haven't even added the song to their playlists, and when a lot of stations do play it, it's on their "What's next" and "future smashes"-type countdowns.

I mean, just for comparison look at One Direction's lead single. It's performing similarly to Your Body (got an even bigger negative update today than Your Body did, actually), and for many of the same reasons: Outside of releasing the song and dropping the video the band hasn't really done much promo yet. And you really don't think Simon's going to let his biggest act since the Spice Girls go down like that, do you?

In fact, a lot of new singles are coming out and and doing the slow simmer.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're attempting to play the long game with Your Body. With the Holidays coming up soon, it's not like they can release a second single. Radio will be frozen. Your Body HAS to be the single that sustains her through this season, and I'm sure they know that. I think they're trying to have the single slowly build and peak closer to the holiday. I'd like to think that, anyway. ;_;

tl;dr - I'm not giving up yet.

Trigger

Lord, a Bey Superbowl show would be sooo good.

iEiV3P6jluOob.gif

She's got such great singles in her catalogue. I wonder which ones she'll choose for the setlist.

royalan

I'm confused by the article. Is Beyonce slated to be A performer in the Halftime Show? Or THE Performer?

She'll put on a great show, either way.

Although part of me wants to point out that putting on a record-breaking Halftime Show didn't exactly do much for MDNA...

Bladenic

You know Sis, I still want to believe. I mean, I haven't been following radio trends very long, so I don't know history or patterns or whatever; but from what I'm reading it seems like there's still something in store for the single. A lot of big stations still haven't even added the song to their playlists, and when a lot of stations do play it, it's on their "What's next" and "future smashes"-type countdowns.

I mean, just for comparison look at One Direction's lead single. It's performing similarly to Your Body (got an even bigger negative update today than Your Body did, actually), and for many of the same reasons: Outside of releasing the song and dropping the video the band hasn't really done much promo yet. And you really don't think Simon's going to let his biggest act since the Spice Girls go down like that, do you?

In fact, a lot of new singles are coming out and and doing the slow simmer.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're attempting to play the long game with Your Body. With the Holidays coming up soon, it's not like they can release a second single. Radio will be frozen. Your Body HAS to be the single that sustains her through this season, and I'm sure they know that. I think they're trying to have the single slowly build and peak closer to the holiday. I'd like to think that, anyway. ;_;

tl;dr - I'm not giving up yet.

The only problem with your assessment is that the No Direction song is already a certified hit because of the very strong digital downloads. It debuted at #3 on Billboard. Debuted strongly around the world. Still selling a lot of downloads. Christina has not.

I think you, or rather her management, should be more concerned with her DD than her radio airplay. Obviously radio is still very important, but when the consumer ain't buying your singles, well.. But anything can happen, maybe the song will explode at some point.

Majmun

O____________________________________O

The new Beyonce-era will annihilate everything. Why? Because unlike the 4-era, she'll promote the shit out of it. And doing a(nother) Superbowl is a great start.

Beyonce is unstoppable when she wants something. She'll work her talented ass off to succeed. And it will happen

Putting your faves on suicide watch.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
O____________________________________O

The new Beyonce-era will annihilate everything. Why? Because unlike the 4-era, she'll promote the shit out of it. And doing a(nother) Superbowl is a great start.

Beyonce is unstoppable when she wants something. She'll work her talented ass off to succeed. And it will happen

Putting your faves on suicide watch.

Agree
iHRnHIUaRg5u5.gif

xaosslug

BEYONCE WILL PERFORM AT THE SUPERBOWL

GET DAT MASSIVE PROMO BEY.

err... I wouldn't bet on it. Is this the same source that alleged she was offered $100, 000, 000 to judge on X-Factor?
ib0hufmfj59uTm.gif
These things are not usually decided this early, and Bey just isn't big enough to headline it by herself. If she DOES do it (at all) she is likely only one artist out-of-many ala it will be RAP/hip-hop focused, and feat. Jay-Z, Kanye, Alicia, etc.

isEMgrQJarslU.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom