• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/19...s-also-strong/

Index Corporation reported sales numbers for Persona 4: Golden and the PlayStation Vita port sold 260,000 units in Japan since it was released on June 14. Total sales should rise next month when Atlus  publishes Persona 4: Golden in North America on November 20.

Persona 4 Arena was Atlus Japan’s first foray with the fighting genre and sales greatly exceeded the company’s expectations. Persona 4 Arena sold 220,000 copies. The hit titles contributed to Index Corporation’s bottom line in a big way.

Index Corporation reported 447 million yen in net profit or roughly $5.64 million.

iworkatjunes
Banned
(10-20-2012, 10:19 AM)
It was because of me. I bought 110,000 copies of P4 Arena.
Sophia
(10-20-2012, 10:21 AM)
Those are some pretty fantastic numbers, and they don't even take into account western sales. We know Atlus USA shipped every copy of P4A they had, so that must mean the game is nearing 400k or more.
Dantis
(10-20-2012, 10:21 AM)
Kind of hilarious that Golden sold more than Arena.

Originally Posted by Sophia

Those are some pretty fantastic numbers, and they don't even take into account western sales. We know Atlus USA shipped every copy of P4A they had, so that must mean the game is nearing 400k or more.

Pretty sure it's not even close. It sold less than 50k in its first month in the US, and I doubt it then went on to sell an additional 130k+ in its second month.
Noi
(10-20-2012, 10:23 AM)
I'm consistently impressed by devs/pubs that actually set reasonable sales expectations for their titles instead of expecting everything to be a million seller. Capcom should take notes.
Sophia
(10-20-2012, 10:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Dantis

Pretty sure it's not even close. It sold less than 50k in its first month in the US, and I doubt it then went on to sell an additional 130k+ in its second month.

Really? That surprises me that it's that low.

And I'm not really surprised Golden sold more than Arena; but I'm not nearly as critical of it as you are. :P
SolarKnight
(10-20-2012, 10:25 AM)

Kind of hilarious that Golden sold more than Arena.

Not really, one's an rpg and the other's a fighting game, the latter usually don't sell that well on home consoles in Japan no matter what franchise it is from what I've seen. If arcade profit counted then I'm sure it'd be Arena>Golden though.
Tomat
I did my part.

Now please give me Persona 5 on my Xbox. Please, please, pleeeeease!!
Antiwhippy
the holder of the conch shell
Now imagine how much more they could sell by not excluding PAL customers!
Dantis
(10-20-2012, 10:27 AM)

Originally Posted by SolarKnight

Not really, one's an rpg and the other's a fighting game, the latter usually don't sell that well on home consoles in Japan no matter what franchise it is from what I've seen. If arcade profit counted then I'm sure it'd be Arena>Golden though.

But still, one's an original game developed for the two most popular platforms of the time, and one's a slightly enhanced port on a floundering handheld.

Originally Posted by Sophia

Really? That surprises me that it's that low.

And I'm not really surprised Golden sold more than Arena; but I'm not nearly as critical of it as you are. :P

I just hate everything. SMASH IT ALL UP. SMASH UP ALL OF ATLUS' DREAMS.
Busaiku

Originally Posted by Antiwhippy

Well, this shipment figure doesn't even include the US.
Canis lupus

Originally Posted by SolarKnight

Is the P4A number only for Japan though?
Jb
Great news :) Hopefully it means when P5 comes out they'll at least consider a vita version (although at this point I just want them to announce the damn game).
HardRojo
(10-20-2012, 10:28 AM)

I was thinking about this.
Dantis
(10-20-2012, 10:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Jay-B

although at this point I just want them to announce the damn game.

Mhmm. I genuinely thought it would have been announced by now, but nope.

I really hope whatever they're working on is tremendous.
Antiwhippy
(10-20-2012, 10:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Busaiku

Well, this shipment figure doesn't even include the US.

True. Though some people here would happily go for the japanese version.

Don't mind me though, just a bitter PAL customer here. :P
Busaiku
(10-20-2012, 10:30 AM)

Originally Posted by TurkishEmperor

Is the P4A number only for Japan though?

It likely is, since it had sold around (less than) 50k through August in the US, and was already beyond 180k in Japan by then.
Since this would be through September, it would be greater than that too.
Noi
(10-20-2012, 10:33 AM)

But still, one's an original game developed for the two most popular platforms of the time, and one's a slightly enhanced port on a floundering handheld.

Japanese sales. The 360 version was one of the worst selling games that month, while the PS3 version was in top 5.
Last edited by Noi; 10-20-2012 at 10:37 AM.
chandoog
(10-20-2012, 10:36 AM)
Putting P4 Golden on digital platforms like Live and PSN will do them even better in terms of sheer revenue. They've already cleaned it up for a higher resolution. Just sayin'

this is not port beginning
Incendiary
(10-20-2012, 10:36 AM)
This is good news. Persona doing well in any form is always welcome.
hongcha
(10-20-2012, 10:37 AM)
Wow, roughly 1 in 4 Japanese Vita owners bought P4Golden. Just goes to show, good software sells well on the Vita.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(10-20-2012, 10:41 AM)

Originally Posted by chandoog

Putting P4 Golden on digital platforms like Live and PSN will do them even better in terms of sheer revenue. They've already cleaned it up for a higher resolution. Just sayin'

this is not port beginning

No it wouldn't. The Vita version is at an MSRP of ¥7,329 ($92) and there's no way you can try that price point on PSN/XBLA and expect it to sell.

They wouldn't do a port either, they'll just put up P4 in the PS2 Classics section like P3.
Jotamide
(10-20-2012, 10:48 AM)
Good stuff, now get on that character DLC or start working on P4A2 upfront.
chandoog
(10-20-2012, 10:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Takao

No it wouldn't. The Vita version is at an MSRP of ¥7,329 ($92) and there's no way you can try that price point on PSN/XBLA and expect it to sell.

Why sell it that high ? Why not 29.99$ or so ? Digital distribution and all its not like they'll be printing and pressing shit, and we all know prices in Japan are bloated way higher than their Western counterpart.
dan2026
(10-20-2012, 10:49 AM)
I hate to ask this, but did Persona 4 Arena ever actually come out in Europe?
Antiwhippy
(10-20-2012, 10:51 AM)
Nope.
Ken
(10-20-2012, 10:55 AM)
Bought 2 NA copies and 1 JPN copy of Arena so give me costume DLC.
Last edited by Ken; 10-20-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Box of Bunnies
(10-20-2012, 11:00 AM)

3 extra copies
Dantis
(10-20-2012, 11:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Jotamide

Good stuff, now get on that character DLC or start working on P4A2 upfront.

No more fighters. Persona 5 next.
Jawmuncher
(10-20-2012, 11:11 AM)

No more fighters. Persona 5 next.

Persona 5 will be a fighter.
Just for you because I know how much you LOVE arena.
Dantis
(10-20-2012, 11:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Jawmuncher

Persona 5 will be a fighter.
Just for you because I know how much you LOVE arena.

But of course. Game of the year 2012.
V_Arnold
(10-20-2012, 11:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Box of Bunnies

3 extra copies

By the time it arrives, that is pretty much the number of players that will be still interested in the game...
Plasma
(10-20-2012, 11:58 AM)
Arena might sell even more if you actually get around to releasing it in Europe ...
Ravage
(10-20-2012, 12:20 PM)

Originally Posted by chandoog

Why sell it that high ? Why not 29.99$ or so ? Digital distribution and all its not like they'll be printing and pressing shit, and we all know prices in Japan are bloated way higher than their Western counterpart.

Persona 4 will most probably appear on the PSN as a $9.99 PS2 Classic sometime next year.
CPS2
(10-20-2012, 12:24 PM)
Dat brilliant marketing strategy "you can't buy our game!"
Sintoid
(10-20-2012, 12:29 PM)
Persona 4 did well on PSVita? Surely next Persona will be on 3DS
electroshockwave
(10-20-2012, 12:38 PM)

Originally Posted by V_Arnold

By the time it arrives, that is pretty much the number of players that will be still interested in the game...

Yeah, I don't think it's making it out in 2012 at this point and by the time it comes out I wonder how much of an online community there will be and it won't have as much attention from the FGC to boost awareness like it did a couple of months ago.
Dantis
(10-20-2012, 12:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Sintoid

Persona 4 did well on PSVita? Surely next Persona will be on 3DS

It had bloody well better not be. Been waiting too damn long for an HD Persona game.
kadotsu
(10-20-2012, 01:03 PM)

It had bloody well better not be. Been waiting too damn long for an HD Persona game.

You can't expect a high profile HD JRPG this early in the generation.
Antiwhippy
(10-20-2012, 01:04 PM)
You mean late?
Misterinenja
(10-20-2012, 01:05 PM)
They must be revealing P5 soon right?
LuchaShaq
Banned
(10-20-2012, 01:11 PM)
This makes me happy.

GIVE ME PERSONA 4-2 or 3+4--2 or 5 or whatever just do it dammit!
Dantis
(10-20-2012, 01:12 PM)

You mean late?

I think that was the joke.
Kazerei
(10-20-2012, 01:18 PM)
BTW, how did the Persona 4 anime series fare? I assume it was well-received, since sales of the two videogames were strong.
StevePharma
(10-20-2012, 01:19 PM)
This reminds little old PAL me that I need to pre-order/import P4G from the US, because...

ATLUS DON'T CARE about Europe

I've already lost all interest in P4A while I was really interested to buy it this Summer. Alas Atlus, shame.

I remember how foolish I was at the beginning of this gen thinking that because of things like XBLive and PSN there wouldn't be a lot of lag time between US and European releases anymore.

Guess I was wrong.
LuchaShaq
Banned
(10-20-2012, 01:29 PM)

Originally Posted by StevePharma

This reminds little old PAL me that I need to pre-order/import P4G from the US, because...

ATLUS DON'T CARE about Europe

I've already lost all interest in P4A while I was really interested to buy it this Summer. Alas Atlus, shame.

I remember how foolish I was at the beginning of this gen thinking that because of things like XBLive and PSN there wouldn't be a lot of lag time between US and European releases anymore.

Guess I was wrong.

As someone who bought P4A 100% for story.

Just find videos of the story portions so you are caught up when the next rpg comes if it connects. I kinda wish I did that instead of playing a fighting game I dislike between story portions.
DR2K
Doesn't buy fighting games to actually play them
(10-20-2012, 01:31 PM)
I want to buy P4A, but I just can't buy a first revision ARCs game at full price.
Dantis
(10-20-2012, 01:33 PM)

Originally Posted by LuchaShaq

As someone who bought P4A 100% for story.

Just find videos of the story portions so you are caught up when the next rpg comes if it connects. I kinda wish I did that instead of playing a fighting game I dislike between story portions.

Yup, worked for nme. And you don't even need to watch them all, just Labrys, Elizabeth and any other character.
LuchaShaq
Banned
(10-20-2012, 01:35 PM)

Yup, worked for nme. And you don't even need to watch them all, just Labrys, Elizabeth and any other character.

Eh I found all the stories enjoyable even though the Labrys/elizabeth are certainly the most important.
Dantis
(10-20-2012, 01:38 PM)

Originally Posted by LuchaShaq

Eh I found all the stories enjoyable even though the Labrys/elizabeth are certainly the most important.

In terms of plot though, they're all the same. I know some people enjoyed them, but you don't lose anything by not watching them all.