• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Messofanego
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:07 PM)
Messofanego's Avatar
THIS IS NOT ABOUT REVIEW EMBARGO

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-epi...gital-delights

Skip to 2:18.

"Just want to talk a little about our MoH: Warfighter review. Our review is going up pretty late. EA has decided not to send us copies of the game until the day it ships. If you've watched the show over the last few years, I think you know: BUYER BEWARE, maybe?

"Marcus Beer: The phrase you're looking for is dodgy as fuuuck."

They gave MoH 2010 a 8.1, so can't be some weird blacklisting thing.

Genuine mistake? Any other websites getting the same deal?

UPDATE: Chris Kohler from Wired and Arthur Gies from Polygon have confirmed this.


Gamespot (Kevin VanOrd) also have confirmed this.

Last edited by Messofanego; 10-20-2012 at 08:05 PM.
NateDrake
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:08 PM)
NateDrake's Avatar
Not uncommon for a company to do this.
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(10-20-2012, 02:09 PM)
Parakeetman's Avatar
Truthfully thats how it should be IMHO.
pauljeremiah
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:09 PM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar
Blizzard did that with Starcraft 2
Vinterbird
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:10 PM)
Vinterbird's Avatar
I don't this is more of a alarm bell then the embargo for AC3 (which is the day before release). It happens often, so I wouldn't start going crazy over it.
MrDaravon
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:12 PM)
MrDaravon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vinterbird

I don't this is more of a alarm bell then the embargo for AC3 (which is the day before release). It happens often, so I wouldn't start going crazy over it.

With AC3 the embargo is going up the day before release. Review embargos going up the day before or the day of release are normal. EA is not even sending copies of this game out to reviewers until they could buy a copy in stores. Huge difference, and 99% of the time that means it's shit.

As far as other places I think I saw Chris Kohler mention this as well on Twitter yesterday, but I can't recall if it was in reference to them (Wired) directly or not.
foogles
Junior Member
(10-20-2012, 02:13 PM)
foogles's Avatar
This happens quite a bit.

Happened for GTA: Vice City way back in 2002, I believe.
Deepack
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:13 PM)
Deepack's Avatar

Originally Posted by Parakeetman

Truthfully thats how it should be IMHO.

Yeah? Why?
tomakasatnav
Junior Member
(10-20-2012, 02:14 PM)
tomakasatnav's Avatar
Other websites getting the same deal.

Originally Posted by aegies

Review copies are being courier'ed to reviewers next Tuesday morning, not on Monday, as previously believed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=120
Spookie
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:14 PM)
Spookie's Avatar
Didn't this happen with CoD?
MrDaravon
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:17 PM)
MrDaravon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spookie

Didn't this happen with CoD?

Not any of them that I can recall. CoD usually does the reviewer events where they have people come out to a hotel or whatever to play the game if I recall correctly.
S1kkZ
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:17 PM)
S1kkZ's Avatar
holding reviews back until launch is nothing unusual, but sending review copies out on launch day (which means reviews wont go up untill 2-3 days after launch)? like they said, pretty dodgy.
SniperHunter
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:17 PM)
SniperHunter's Avatar
They probably want to avoid any leaks like Halo 4 or something
Choc
Banned
(10-20-2012, 02:18 PM)
Choc's Avatar
It is pretty weird for this to happen. I mean you can even preload on origin now so just let them unlock early?

:\

Wonder what EA's reasoning is.
CrunchinJelly
formerly cjelly
(10-20-2012, 02:18 PM)
CrunchinJelly's Avatar
Game is probably shit and EA have spent millions on marketing so want to protect their investment, I guess.
MrDaravon
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:19 PM)
MrDaravon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Choc

It is pretty weird for this to happen. I mean you can even preload on origin now so just let them unlock early?

:\

Wonder what EA's reasoning is.

Do you? Do you really?
Messofanego
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:19 PM)
Messofanego's Avatar

Originally Posted by SailorDaravon

With AC3 the embargo is going up the day before release. Review embargos going up the day before or the day of release are normal. EA is not even sending copies of this game out to reviewers until they could buy a copy in stores. Huge difference, and 99% of the time that means it's shit.

As far as other places I think I saw Chris Kohler mention this as well on Twitter yesterday, but I can't recall if it was in reference to them (Wired) directly or not.



This is really weird.
Megasoum
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:20 PM)
Megasoum's Avatar

Originally Posted by SniperHunter

They probably want to avoid any leaks like Halo 4 or something

The game is already out on the web for modden xboxes anyway so it doesn't matter lol.
SJRB
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:26 PM)
SJRB's Avatar
This happens pretty regularly. Or reviews are under strict embargo until day of release.

I wouldn't immediately asume this game sucks and that this is a cover-up.
Choc
Banned
(10-20-2012, 02:27 PM)
Choc's Avatar

Originally Posted by SailorDaravon

Do you? Do you really?

i mean the official company line. They have to have a reason, they wouldn tbe like BECAUSE WE THINK ITS CRAP

edit: oh i just thought of a potential possible legitimate reason.


maybe they have a 'no russian' moment they don't want spoiled. I know that sounds stupid but the mainstream media spoiled the shit out of that before the game came out thus ruined the developers intention.

Its possible, you never know. I would have preferred no russian to not be spoiled (pricks in mainstream media who dont realise what the fuck a spoiler is)
Megasoum
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:29 PM)
Megasoum's Avatar

Originally Posted by SJRB

This happens pretty regularly. Or reviews are under strict embargo until day of release.

I wouldn't immediately asume this game sucks and that this is a cover-up.

What happens regularly is that the embargo will go up to the release date which is fine (well...I think it sucks but it's the norm nowadays). What does not happen regularly is that the reviewer does not actually get the game before release day (especially for a big game like that).


But then again... MOH can be finished in 4-5 hours so I guess they still have time to do the review on day one lol.
Stallion Free
Cock Encumbered
(10-20-2012, 02:30 PM)
Stallion Free's Avatar
Oh man, reviewers might have to stay up late to beat it.

Oh wait, the game is gonna last like 4 hours like the last one. It will be manageable.
LuchaShaq
Banned
(10-20-2012, 02:32 PM)

Originally Posted by CrunchinJelly

Game is probably shit and EA have spent millions on marketing so want to protect their investment, I guess.

This.


Last one was a complete pile of broken scripted garbage and I doubt this will be any better.
Choc
Banned
(10-20-2012, 02:33 PM)
Choc's Avatar
i would think that surely long lead has the game (print)

surely?
Impeccable
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:33 PM)
Impeccable's Avatar
Considering the deals on the game before it even ships, like "trade one for one" in Canada says volumes as well.
Sethos
Banned
(10-20-2012, 02:34 PM)
Sethos's Avatar
YEAH BOMBA!!



Shit, not yet ... Patience Sethos, patience.
Messofanego
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:34 PM)
Messofanego's Avatar

Originally Posted by SJRB

This happens pretty regularly. Or reviews are under strict embargo until day of release.

I wouldn't immediately asume this game sucks and that this is a cover-up.

This is not about embargo, it's about review copies being sent to websites so they can have enough time to review it until embargo. Sending review copies on day 1 is pretty unique for big games.
Stallion Free
Cock Encumbered
(10-20-2012, 02:38 PM)
Stallion Free's Avatar

Originally Posted by LuchaShaq

Last one was a complete pile of broken scripted garbage and I doubt this will be any better.

Seeing as that they switched to a new engine in a two year dev cycle, this is pretty much guaranteed.
Kintaro
Worships the porcelain goddess
(10-20-2012, 02:39 PM)
Kintaro's Avatar
Meh. Can't say I care too much when a site gets review copies. GT has already made up their minds about it given past comments on demos. You are at the complete mercy of publishers anyways. Bitching about like you are not is laughable. Don't like it? Buy your own copies and play it with the rest of us.
sonicmj1
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:41 PM)
sonicmj1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kintaro

Meh. Can't say I care too much when a site gets review copies. GT has already made up their minds about it given past comments on demos. You are at the complete mercy of publishers anyways. Bitching about like you are not is laughable. Don't like it? Buy your own copies and play it with the rest of us.

I dunno. This is basically the equivalent of a movie not holding advance screenings for the press.
Ravensmash
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:41 PM)
Ravensmash's Avatar
If more companies did this then maybe the media could move away from the PR/publisher reliance that many complain about.
sTeLioSco
Banned
(10-20-2012, 02:45 PM)
sTeLioSco's Avatar

Originally Posted by NateDrake

Not uncommon for a company to do this.

it is uncommon.

for every release you have reviews at the..... day...... of release

unless this is a blacklist for someone,its shady.....
BurnOutBrighter
Banned
(10-20-2012, 02:49 PM)
Yup. The game is shit.

There's no other reason. Take it from history.

Spoilers, really? If there was something controversial in it that would gain media attention then you bet your ass that that would have "leaked" by now to build word of mouth.
Last edited by BurnOutBrighter; 10-20-2012 at 02:51 PM.
DaBuddaDa
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:49 PM)
DaBuddaDa's Avatar
I smell lots of 6s and 7s.
Visualante2
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:51 PM)
Visualante2's Avatar

Originally Posted by foogles

This happens quite a bit.

Happened for GTA: Vice City way back in 2002, I believe.

Wasn't the catch unless you could guarantee a score of 9 or higher?
Alcoholikaust
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:52 PM)
Alcoholikaust's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sethos

YEAH BOMBA!!



Shit, not yet ... Patience Sethos, patience.

haha
Kintaro
Worships the porcelain goddess
(10-20-2012, 02:54 PM)
Kintaro's Avatar

Originally Posted by sonicmj1

I dunno. This is basically the equivalent of a movie not holding advance screenings for the press.

I don't really agree since movie reviewers tend to ospoil the fuck out of movies in early reviews. Actually...game reviewers do it too. Not saying spoiler are the reason here.

Either way, I find whenever sites bitch about not getting advance copies they sound like whiny assholes. As if they are entitled to it. Again, know your place.
legacyzero
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:54 PM)
legacyzero's Avatar
It's stuff like this that makes ya glad that you only paid half price.

I find this all suspicious too. %50 off as a premium member? Yeeaaahhh..
SpaceDrake
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:58 PM)
SpaceDrake's Avatar
Take it from a person involved in game dev: this sort of obsfucation means someone doesn't want reviews hitting until after the game is being sold. You can guess what that means.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(10-20-2012, 02:58 PM)
Takao's Avatar
Will wait for free on Origin then.
TheBaronOfNA
Member
(10-20-2012, 02:59 PM)
TheBaronOfNA's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kintaro

I don't really agree since movie reviewers tend to ospoil the fuck out of movies in early reviews. Actually...game reviewers do it too. Not saying spoiler are the reason here.

Dude, is not about you 'agree' or not, is just a common knowledge with movie enthusiasts that:

Not advanced screening to critics = The movie is probably shit

Either way, I find whenever sites bitch about not getting advance copies they sound like whiny assholes. As if they are entitled to it. Again, know your place.

You should work as PR person in EA
StuBurns
Banned
(10-20-2012, 03:00 PM)
StuBurns's Avatar
I often wonder why publishers bother supporting the press at all, it doesn't seem to benefit them.
Ravensmash
Member
(10-20-2012, 03:01 PM)
Ravensmash's Avatar

Originally Posted by SpaceDrake

Take it from a person involved in game dev: this sort of obsfucation means someone doesn't want reviews hitting until after the game is being sold. You can guess what that means.

That they don't want the internet to think that their good reviews were paid for?
Stallion Free
Cock Encumbered
(10-20-2012, 03:01 PM)
Stallion Free's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ravensmash

If more companies did this then maybe the media could move away from the PR/publisher reliance that many complain about.

I would like reviewers to pay for the games, just like we do.
BurnOutBrighter
Banned
(10-20-2012, 03:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Kintaro

I don't really agree since movie reviewers tend to ospoil the fuck out of movies in early reviews. Actually...game reviewers do it too. Not saying spoiler are the reason here.

Either way, I find whenever sites bitch about not getting advance copies they sound like whiny assholes. As if they are entitled to it. Again, know your place.

Their "place" is to receive games early for review. Sure they aren't entitled to it but when a publisher goes against standard procedure for a release, you know it's a red flag.
Dorfdad
Banned
(10-20-2012, 03:03 PM)
Dorfdad's Avatar
probably means it's shit... They want to make sure that they get their hype sales before the word gets out that it's average..Thats my take.. If it was so awesome I would put it everywhere early!
GraveRobberX
Member
(10-20-2012, 03:03 PM)
GraveRobberX's Avatar
That 360 Beta didn't help spread the positive word, more negative

LOL

I'll get it 1 month later with BF4 access + Best Buy Pre-Order goodies thrown-in for good measure for $29.99 @ BF

Originally Posted by Takao

Will wait for free on Origin then.

HA!

Survey time Go! Go!

Originally Posted by Dorfdad

probably means it's shit... They want to make sure that they get their hype sales before the word gets out that it's average..Thats my take.. If it was so awesome I would put it everywhere early!

so does it ease your concerns or gives you unrest =D
Last edited by GraveRobberX; 10-20-2012 at 03:06 PM.
tiny raptor
Member
(10-20-2012, 03:04 PM)
tiny raptor's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheBaronOfNA

You should work as PR person in EA

No, he made a good point.
TheBaronOfNA
Member
(10-20-2012, 03:04 PM)
TheBaronOfNA's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ravensmash

That they don't want the internet to think that their good reviews were paid for?

After the RE6 debacle I will say that they are more afraid of the opposite.

Originally Posted by tiny raptor

No, he made a good point.

"You should know your place in the corporate machine" ?
Kintaro
Worships the porcelain goddess
(10-20-2012, 03:06 PM)
Kintaro's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheBaronOfNA

Dude, is not about you 'agree' or not, is just a common knowledge with movie enthusiasts that:

Not advanced screening to critics = The movie is probably shit



You should work as PR person in EA

I would rather work with Rockstar. You dictate everything, play sites like fiddles and sites eagerly suck their cocks for it all. Lol

Yes, I know what it usually means but MoH 2010 was a day 1 arrival too because Dice was running late. It still got decent scores and sold 5 million.

Thread Tools