• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of Warren Spector and staff visiting Disneyland for Epic Mickey 2

9 minutes video of Warren Spector taking the job of the Disney Ambassador.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DONuI32EObI&feature=g-all-u

My opinion of this video is mixed seeing what we saw in the first Epic Mickey and the trailers and screen we have seen of Epic Mickey 2.
I have a love/hate relationship with the first game, as im a huge Disney park nerd, and im feeling the game will still have the same design problems as the original. No, im not talking about the camera or playable problems, and im not talking also about the first batch of concepts arts (that sincerely IMO didnt work with what they wanted to do, so im not hating about not using it as some people on the internet have).
Im talking about the design of the Wasteland, how the world was build around you, the enemies, the NPCs, and how it was nothing of what Warren Spector promised in its amazing first videos of the first game.
The game was supposed, as Warren says a million times (and repeats one more time in the video), to be a twisted disneyland, with forgotten or never done rides, locations and characters, that remind you of the real thing, but with a twist.
The first game never really feels that way, because 80 percent of the things are totally invented by the art designers, game designers and the composer. Nearly nothing feels like real disneyland, and what it does is very little (mostly Main Street USA). The rest of the game feels like a thing were designers didnt have a real goal.
I dont know if much of it is because of not enough funds or time, but for example, here you have the NPC, there are two classes, vintage cartoons, pirates from Peter Pan and ghosts of Lonesome Ghosts short. WTF, the problem is that all of them are mixed in zones were they doesnt have any sense, Pirates in Toontown? Vintage Cartoons in New Orleans? Im pretty sure, with all the history Disney parks have, they could have inhabited the different lands with characters (even forgotten ones). What about twisted animatronic tiki birds and Jungle Cruise explorers for adventureland, or pinguins of Mary Poppins dressed as barbershop quarters in Main Street? Mr. Tom Morrow and the Carroussel of Progress family (60's dressed animatronics) in Tomorrowland? Why not leave vintage cartoons in toontown area only? and where the fuck where the hitchhicking ghosts, pretty sure they could have appeared as NPCs in New Orleans with Leota? etc...
He also wanted to make it a zelda, but interconnecting places by those repetitive 2D stages was horrible, instead of making them secrets to look after in "dungeons" or around the wasteland, the made them repetitive tranportation (horrible when you have to experience going in and out of Toontown). They even had the best transpotation system of the world to make the player go around the wasteland really fast (the train) and they didnt use it.
And dont get me started it of making Tomorrowland TRONLAND, yeah, because that is surely forgotten, not the tomorrowland 60's version, with adventure thru inner space or Flight to the Moon, that Disney fans love...
And the music... ahhh the music, or how Jim Dooley didnt know shit about disneyland music. No piece of the game sounds anything like disneyland apart of Its A Small World boss, because thats the only piece used from the park in the games (and 5 seconds of Mickey Mouse Club March and 5 seconds of Once Upon a Dream). The worst is that in the video Warren says its a tribute to the Sherman Borthers... NO, the music in the whole game doesnt sound anything like done by the sherman brothers, or by X Atencio. Where are the twisted versions you promised of tiki room, Yo-ho or Grim Grinning Ghosts? I dont hear them, but in the Pirates of the Caribbean/Peter Pan "dungeon" I can surely hear a version of the music in the life action movies... Yeah that reminds of the park all right.

Sorry for this rant, but I usually love warren's explaining videos, because you can clearly see all the passion and love he has, but I dont know if its shit coming from above, or no time and funds, that makes me hearing about his games and his vision in this videos, nothing more than him telling lies.

BTW theres a part in the video where he turns crazy because he sees a woman dressed in a Ortensia cosplay. Really funny reaction.

Top Bottom