• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward 3DS save corrupting bug info thread

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
This thread is to provide GAF with information about a crippling bug that's been found in the 3DS release of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. If any new bugs are discovered, please post it in this thread.

What is this bug? Should I be worried?

There is a bug that's verified to occur in the Pressure Exchange (PEC) puzzle room and Crew's Quarters puzzle room. If you save while in this room, the game will crash and corrupt the save data. You will have to delete the save and start over. EDIT: (or possibly in other puzzle rooms, the PEC and Crew's Quarters rooms are the biggest known culprit at this time)

Yikes! Will this be fixed in the future ala patch?

No information is available at this time. We can only hope a patch is possible.

What if I save in a different slot?

Unfortunately the 3DS version of the game only has one save slot.

So if the game crashes, my save is nuked?

Only if it crashes when you save in the PEC puzzle room or Crew's Quarter's puzzle room EDIT:(or possibly in other puzzle rooms, the PEC and Crew's Quarters rooms are the biggest known culprit at this time). Other crashes have occurred that don't involve saving where the save is unharmed.

Does this bug affect the Vita version as well?

No, it does not. No bugs of this nature have been reported regarding the Vita edition of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

I've already bought it on 3DS! How do I avoid wrecking my save file?

Do not save in the PEC room puzzle! Better yet, just don't save in any puzzle room at all.. The game may still crash, but so long as you save before you start that room and not during the puzzle, your save file should remain intact.

Does this bug occur in other puzzle rooms?

Unconfirmed, but better to be safe than sorry. You might want to refrain from saving your game during any Puzzle room segments and only save during Novel segments.

EDIT: for those who want to know when they're headed toward the PEC room.

For those wondering, the PEC room is in the middle branch. More specifically, the route that takes you to it is:

Yellow door -> Ally -> Blue door

EDIT EDIT:

AHH! My game crashed and I didn't save in the puzzle room!! Is my save gone?

See this post. Your game may crash, but that doesn't necessarily mean the save is corrupted. You'll have to check by trying to load it.

OP should be edited.

Do not save at PEC room AT ALL, puzzle or novel segment.

The best solution to avoid this bug is saving at corridors and warehouses, never save inside a puzzle room. NEVER.

Volcynika

I believe the room is in of one the paths of the right of the flow chart. So depending on how you play you could lose a few hours or much more.

I'm on that side and I haven't run into it yet. But I've got one remaining path on the right before I have to go back to the first set of options.

Doesn't the bug also exist in the Japanese version?

Heard reports that it does. At least I think someone said it in the OT.

RurouniZel

Doesn't the bug also exist in the Japanese version?

A bug of this nature does exist in the Japanese version, but I cannot confirm if it involves the PEC room specifically. When I played the Japanese 3DS version I did not encounter the bug, but I do not remember if I saved or not.

EDIT: I've altered the OP to be safe. :)

Hero

Wow, thanks for making this thread, have been ignoring the OT for people potentially spoiling the game for me.

They couldn't get this fixed in time for the NA release?

RurouniZel

I believe the room is in of one the paths of the right of the flow chart. So depending on how you play you could lose a few hours or much more.

Self-correction. I think this room is one of the center paths, not one of the right paths. My bad.

Edit: Please correct me if my memory is faulty but I believe that just before entering this puzzle room you are paired with Clover and Tenmyouji.

Ridley327

Good info; thankfully, it's an easy bug to avoid from the sound of it, but that sucks that it wound up in the game all the same.

Kyou

PEC room... okay got it.

I ran into a weird bug last night while playing when I exited a room. Clicked on the door, animation played of door opening, character stepped through, scene change... entered room I had just exited.

Wow, thanks for making this thread, have been ignoring the OT for people potentially spoiling the game for me.

They couldn't get this fixed in time for the NA release?

Same here. I'll make a mental note to make sure to only enter a puzzle room if I have enough time to finish it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Addressing it isn't as simple as you think. Aksys doesn't actually develop the game, so Chunsoft would have to handle any sort of patching.
For a potentially game breaking bug, you'd hope that someone, the publisher or the developer, would step up and fix the problem anyway.

denshuu

PEC room... okay got it.

I ran into a weird bug last night while playing when I exited a room. Clicked on the door, animation played of door opening, character stepped through, scene change... entered room I had just exited.

This happened to me for the entire puzzle with the scratch-off poster and the four safes. Had to enter/exit every room twice each time.

GSR

For those wondering, the PEC room is in the middle branch. More specifically, the route that takes you to it is:

Yellow door -> Ally -> Blue door

Thanks for the info.

I really hope they fix this. I was actually considering going out and buying it today, but I think I'll hold off on it for now...

First time I wish I had a Vita :/

Wow, much thanks for the info. Will I know when I get to this room (i.e. do the characters talk about it)? Will it be possible to know beforehand?

GSR

Wow, much thanks for the info. Will I know when I get to this room (i.e. do the characters talk about it)? Will it be possible to know beforehand?

It'll say "PEC" on the door, and the characters'll discuss the room. It's pretty hard to miss.

RurouniZel

It'll say "PEC" on the door, and the characters'll discuss the room. It's pretty hard to miss.

Yes, it doesn't sneak up on you or anything. Though if you want to be extra safe there's usually a bit where they discuss the various splitting up options before you select one. Saving there should be fine. :)

Ramune

Thanks RuZel! A shame a bug like this exists, but the more people know about it and can avoid it the better! :)

kiryogi

Banned
There's been reports of it occurring in the Crew Quarters as well. My recommendation is to not ever save in puzzle rooms. Only save during the novel sections

Chesskid1

Banned
man, sad to hear about this bug on the 3ds, 3ds always seemed slow to patch things, could be a while. ill be happy to be wrong, though.

RurouniZel

There's been reports of it occurring in the Crew Quarters as well. My recommendation is to not ever save in puzzle rooms. Only save during the novel sections

I'll add this information to the OP and re-emphasis this recommendation of not saving in the puzzle rooms at all just to be safe.

can I close my 3DS in puzzle rooms and not risk messing anything up?

A very interesting question, sadly one I do not know the answer to. I'm also not eager to test and find out. XD But I'm not sure if putting the 3DS in Sleep Mode by closing it causes the game to save, or the hardware to create a save state, and even then I'm not positive one way or the other.

My best advise is to just be cautious around puzzle rooms and make sure you save before you split off with a group to enter a puzzle room to be safe.

RurouniZel

Do we at least know for sure that relegating saving to novel rooms will never give a bug

It's possible the game may still crash, but it does not necessarily mean the save is corrupted. I actually encountered a crash when I saved at the very end of a path (After a GameOver, To Be Continued, or Ending, the game will automatically take you to the save screen) and the game did indeed crash (photo below), but when I reloaded the game, my save was not corrupted.

So I guess it should be said that even if your game crashes, you still need to make sure by loading the save at the title screen whether it's corrupt or not. If you just get a black screen for way more than say, 10-15 seconds, your save is likely corrupt.

54DEEE83-4416-4638-9BA2-89CF3666F043-3481-000004AF1506DE23.jpg

Wii Tank

My game crashed three times while in the PEC room and all while trying to access the same puzzle.

It's the connect the dots one leading into the Pressure Room. My game froze when accessing it for the first time entering, and then again for the first time exiting. Seemed fine after.

Had a heart attack every time it happened but my save data was fine each time. I may have just gotten super lucky. That particular puzzle is likely the cause behind this. My game also crashed just after I got a bad ending, but when I reloaded my data was fine and it had saved the fact that I had seen the bad ending.

I realize it's entirely unlikely that this game would ever get a patch, but it sure would make me a lot less worried when playing through it.

RurouniZel

My game crashed three times while in the PEC room and all while trying to access the same puzzle.

It's the connect the dots one leading into the Pressure Room. My game froze when accessing it for the first time entering, and then again for the first time exiting. Seemed fine after.

Had a heart attack every time it happened but my save data was fine each time. I may have just gotten super lucky. That particular puzzle is likely the cause behind this. My game also crashed just after I got a bad ending, but when I reloaded my data was fine and it had saved the fact that I had seen the bad ending.

I realize it's entirely unlikely that this game would ever get a patch, but it sure would make me a lot less worried when playing through it.

Yep, the bolded happened to me as well. I'll wait until after I've done some research if it is that puzzle that's the primary crash cause.

Busaiku

The game just froze on me in the PEC room.
I didn't save, I was just exploring stuff.

Ugh, this is so disappointing...

RurouniZel

The game just froze on me in the PEC room.
I didn't save, I was just exploring stuff.

This can happen. If you didn't save in the room you're save is probably not corrupted. Reboot the game and try to load your save. The PEC room seems particularly prone to crashes based on most reports I've seen.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ugh. If only we knew whether there was a proper patching system in place on the 3DS (I know Mario Kart got that update).

Busaiku

Ugh. If only we knew whether there was a proper patching system in place on the 3DS (I know Mario Kart got that update).

Supposedly Code of Princess got patched in Japan (to match up with the improved US release), so it's definitely possible.

Holy shit. Thanks for making this thread. I've been avoiding the OT for fear of spoilers, so I never would have seen it otherwise.

Top Bottom