• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 9 |OT| Gronkenstorm

Mayhew and Linnehan must have been talking and both decided they were disgusted with 3 receiver and 2 te sets working on offense and collaborated to make the most baffling trade I've seen Mayhew make. Is the staff really that concerned over receiving depth that they traded for a guy who was nearly cut in training camp, and let go of a corner (where we obviously have much more depth than I thought
fucking stupid
)? At least it was only a fifth rounder. Albeit a likely high fifth round pick, but whatever

Also, please don't trade for Stephen Jackson, Detroit. Please

beast786

Ldnvn.png

Probably looking at GOOG maps to help around the yellow tape.

harSon

Banned
It doesn't really work like that, you could probably say Ben is to stupid to run the NYG's offense which is really complex and dealing with lunkheads like Shockey, and other than 2007-9 Giant's line was nothing special (and they were a run run run team those days).

Eli is really good at avoiding pressure with internal pocket movement and really fast throws, while Ben is just better at shrugging people off him. I'll say this, Eli's the perfect for NYG, while Ben's the better fit for Pitt.

It does work like that. Since 2006, Eli has been sacked 21, 20, 19, 20, 16 and 12 less times than Ben. Eli has always been the most, or one of the most untouched QBs in the league since 2004, so I'm not exactly sure how you can call the offensive line nothing special, especially when you include the fact that their rushing offense was good more times than not by a decent margin.

It's really difficult to excel at the QB position with a non-existent offensive line, a middling to mediocre rushing attack and Bruce Arians at offensive coordinator (this last factor is key, Bruce don't give a fuck about your strengths or weaknesses as an offense, he's going to do whatever the fuck he wants irregardless if your team is built for such a thing).

I don't think it's a coincidence that in a season where Ben is finally being protected, we have a coordinator that caters to our strengths and weaknesses and at least for the last two games, we finally have a rushing attack worth a shit, that Ben is putting up some of the great numbers.

bionic77

It does work like that. Since 2006, Eli has been sacked 21, 20, 19, 20, 16 and 12 less times than Ben. Eli has always been the most, or one of the most untouched QBs in the league since 2004, so I'm not exactly sure how you can call the offensive line nothing special, especially when you include the fact that their rushing offense was good more times than now by a decent margin.

It's really difficult to excel at the QB position with a non-existent offensive line, a middling to mediocre rushing attack and Bruce Arians at offensive coordinator (this last factor is key, Bruce don't give a fuck about your strengths of weaknesses as an offense, he's going to do whatever the fuck he wants irregardless if your team is built for such a thing).

I don't think it's a coincidence that in a season where Ben is finally being protected, we have a coordinator that caters to our strengths and weaknesses and at least for the last tow games, we finally have a rushing attack worth a shit, that Ben is putting up some of the great numbers.
:lol That is news to me. Our run game is trash.

Also our line has been killed with injuries this year. It was only in the last game or so that they are finally gelling together a bit. Lets wait to see if this lasts.

harSon

Banned
:lol That is news to me. Our run game is trash.

Also our line has been killed with injuries this year. It was only in the last game or so that they are finally gelling together a bit. Lets wait to see if this lasts.

I said at least for the last two games.

bionic77

I said at least for the last two games.
I will wait to see whether we can do it against a decent defense.

I think we might be able to if the line stays healthy, but the proof is in the pudding. But we were among the worst if not the worst at running the ball prior to that. Huge props to Haley for sticking to it in spite of that. Most coordinators would have panicked and gone pass whacky.

harSon said:
so I'm not exactly sure how you can call the offensive line nothing special, especially when you include the fact that their rushing offense was good more times than not by a decent margin.
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the QB releasing the ball quickly. Which Eli does extremely well and Ben a lot of times doesn't. Which also plays into Ben being sacked (and making some amazing scrambling plays as well!) but let's just ignore the obviousness of that. Or the fact that Eli has very good pocket presence that often gets ignored when discussing his development. That has by far been his biggest improvement year to year.

It's all a function of the offensive line though. Sure. No need to take anything else into account. Let's just pull sack numbers and make black and white comments and claim "it does work like that".

Reality: From 2007-2009 you could make the argument the Giants had a dominant offensive line and Eli benefited. One of the best in the league in fact if not the best in 2008. Recently? Not really. Though this years unit is certainly looking up which I'm happy about.

I also think it's remarkably stupid to post hypotheticals about how any of these guys would perform if they were swapped. Different offenses, different skill sets, different coaching and different circumstances that would have very likely changed if either had swapped places in the draft. They're both great QB's that do certain things better than other but I can't "confidently" say anything about how either would perform if Eli had to deal with Arians offense for years or Ben had to deal with the learning curve involved in Gilbride's run and shoot concepts. The hope is that either would have adapted and the offensive coordinators for each team would have put in place an offense that takes advantage of what each does best. However, it's a moot point anyways as I'm sure the place we'll find agreement is that each one of these guys went exactly where they needed to achieve their success.

bionic77

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the QB releasing the ball quickly. Which Eli does extremely well and Ben a lot of times doesn't. Which also plays into his being sacked but let's just ignore the obviousness of that. Or the fact that Eli has actual pocket presence which has improved year to year consistently.

It's all a function of the offensive line though. Sure. No need to take anything else into account. Let's just pull sack numbers and make black and white comments and claim "it does work like that".

Reality: From 2007-2009 you could make the argument the Giants had a dominant offensive line and Eli benefited. One of the best in the league in fact if not the best in 2008. Recently? Not really. Though this years unit is certainly looking up.

I also think it's remarkably stupid to post hypotheticals about how any of these guys would perform if they were swapped. Different offense, different skill sets and different circumstances. They're both great QB's that do certain things better than other and they both fit the places they went but I can't "confidently" say anything about how either would perform if Eli had to deal with Arians offense for year or Ben had to deal with the learning curve involved in Gilbride's run and shoot concepts. The hope is that either would have adapted but it's a moot point anyways as I'm sure the place we'll find agreement is that each one of these guys went exactly where they needed to achieve their success.
Only Ben could have had success under Arians but otherwise both qb's would have been really good wherever they went. Maybe not have won Superbowls or had the success they had had, but they would have been good regardless.

Striker

Reality: From 2007-2009 you could make the argument the Giants had a dominant offensive line and Eli benefited. One of the best in the league in fact if not the best in 2008. Recently? Not really. Though this years unit is certainly looking up which I'm happy about.
Steelers had fatass Bettis and Parker running for big yards every year until about 2008. Same for the Giants until recent years.

Pretty similar results, except the Steelers defense to the Giants group.

Stevie Brown is the NFC Defensive Player of the Week
Wesley Woodyard is the AFC Defensive Player of the Week
Tom Brady is the AFC Offensive Player of the Week
Alex Smith is the NFC Offensive Player of the Week
Olivier Vernon is the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week
Davon House is the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week

EDIT: Updated with Special Teams awards.

Meier

56-62 on the year now but I have 21 picks that I didn't even make (including week 1 where I didn't realize my picks wouldn't carry over and only got in 3 of 16). Frustrating. :(

Stevie Brown is the NFC Defensive Player of the Week
Wesley Woodyard is the AFC Defensive Player of the Week
Tom Brady is the AFC Offensive Player of the Week
Alex Smith is the NFC Offensive Player of the Week
Olivier Vernon is the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week
Davon House is the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week

EDIT: Updated with Special Teams awards.

I refuse to take anyone serious who awards Alex Smith a best of the week of anything.

DeaconKnowledge said:
A wide receiver?

Only way that happens is if they dump Wallace.
Defense all the way for you guys unless someone you can't pass up on the offensive side drops is my thought. Corner/LB specifically.

Same for the Giants. DT/DE for us. Reese is going to want to restock on the defensive line which is a strength of this draft.

Flying back to Baltimore tommorrow with the kids, 5 hour flight should be great. But at least I get to go get my Baltimore fix. I'm just excited to watch the Ravens game at a bar with other fans for once.

And it's the Browns! We could win this!

Sheeiittt may be losing water in my area as well. No power, now no water too. Going to be moving back into an even darker age, shitting into buckets. FMT , you're invited.

Hold down the fort Packers GAF

squicken

Way Too Early Mock Draft update: Week 8.

http://i.imgur.com/h8NtX.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Xjyk8.jpg[/IG]

[url=http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfldraftscout-RobRang]Rob Rang's full analysis[/url]
[url=http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfldraftscout-DaneBrugler]The other guy[/url][/QUOTE]

Damn Texas A&M has some talent. How in the world did fucking Sherman lose to UT last year? smh

Rams need to draft both of those OTs. I don't ever again want to spend a bye week hoping that Wayne Hunter gets healthy

Damn Texas A&M has some talent. How in the world did fucking Sherman lose to UT last year? smh

Rams need to draft both of those OTs. I don't ever again want to spend a bye week hoping that Wayne Hunter gets healthy
I just realized something squicken, this Sunday will be the third week of the season that the Dolphins play one of your teams. 1-1 so far!

Do you think the Colts will pull off the W?

Any mock draft that has Baltimore taking offense in the first is crazy. They're going go hard on D. I'd love to see us take Reid from LSU, but I think we'll end up with a real shot at taking Te'o.

squicken

I just realized something squicken, this Sunday will be the third week of the season that the Dolphins play one of your teams. 1-1 so far!

Do you think the Colts will pull off the W?

If Moore or a hobbled Tanny plays I'd say Colts. Colts D is bad but I'm not sure you guys have the weapons to hurt them. And you haven't played a QB who will frustrate you like Luck. Almost as good as Ben and Rodgers at buying time. Leads the league in scrambles for a first down by a wide margin

If Moore or a hobbled Tanny plays I'd say Colts. Colts D is bad but I'm not sure you guys have the weapons to hurt them. And you haven't played a QB who will frustrate you like Luck. Almost as good as Ben and Rodgers at buying time. Leads the league in scrambles for a first down by a wide margin
Yeah, I'm definitely worried about Luck. This game should be a good test to see how much the Dolphins' secondary has improved this year. Tannehill split snaps with Moore at practice today but I read that he looked pretty slow so who knows if he'll be good to go by Sunday or not. My opinion is the Dolphins should play Moore unless Tannehill is 100%.

Dolphins' running game will probably be the bigger factor than their passing game anyway. It seems like the Colts' defense is pretty weak against the run.

harSon

Banned
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the QB releasing the ball quickly. Which Eli does extremely well and Ben a lot of times doesn't. Which also plays into Ben being sacked (and making some amazing scrambling plays as well!) but let's just ignore the obviousness of that. Or the fact that Eli has very good pocket presence that often gets ignored when discussing his development. That has by far been his biggest improvement year to year.

I also think it's remarkably stupid to post hypotheticals about how any of these guys would perform if they were swapped. Different offenses, different skill sets, different coaching and different circumstances that would have very likely changed if either had swapped places in the draft. They're both great QB's that do certain things better than other but I can't "confidently" say anything about how either would perform if Eli had to deal with Arians offense for years or Ben had to deal with the learning curve involved in Gilbride's run and shoot concepts. The hope is that either would have adapted and the offensive coordinators for each team would have put in place an offense that takes advantage of what each does best. However, it's a moot point anyways as I'm sure the place we'll find agreement is that each one of these guys went exactly where they needed to achieve their success.

Eli may have gotten rid of the ball quickly, but he would have had little to no yards to show for it. The overwhelming majority of Bruce Arian's pass plays took considerable time to develop, and time is one luxury that our offensive line has not provided. Any QB not capable of extending the play, allowing our receivers to finish their routes and get open, would put up putrid stats within an Arians offense protected by a Steelers offensive line. Your options are A) Throw the ball away or B) Hold onto the ball and try and make a play. C) Change the fucking offense into something quicker is certainly a worthy alternative, but Arians refused to do that for 5 seasons.

Draxal

Defense all the way for you guys unless someone you can't pass up on the offensive side drops is my thought. Corner/LB specifically.

Same for the Giants. DT/DE for us. Reese is going to want to restock on the defensive line which is a strength of this draft.

I think he's going to go BPA no matter what focusing on DL/CBs.

squicken

Yeah, I'm definitely worried about Luck. This game should be a good test to see how much the Dolphins' secondary has improved this year. Tannehill split snaps with Moore at practice today but I read that he looked pretty slow so who knows if he'll be good to go by Sunday or not. My opinion is the Dolphins should play Moore unless Tannehill is 100%.

Dolphins' running game will probably be the bigger factor than their passing game anyway. It seems like the Colts' defense is pretty weak against the run.

It is, though they seem to be a little better recently. It will be close. The Colts were 2-14 last year and very much earned that record. And Luck makes mistakes like all rookies. He fumbled on a sack last week after holding the ball too long, and luckily it was recovered by his OL. He threw a sure TAINT right into the chest of a Titans LB that was somehow dropped. Either play is made and Titans win

Wes

venison crêpe
Ravens offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie is being sued by the owner of several Miami strip clubs for racking up bills at the establishments and failing to pay them.

NBCMiami.com reports that strip club owner Charles “Pop” Young filed a lawsuit against McKinnie in Miami-Dade Circuit Court Monday afternoon. Young says McKinnie ran up bills at strip clubs Young owned between February of 2009 and September of 2010, and that Young now wants McKinnie to pay up. According to Young, the total McKinnie owes is $375,000.

I wonder if that sum is down to quantity or quality.

Wes

venison crêpe
Cowboys beating the Falcons would be horrible. For the next week they'll be spewing how they beat the undefeated team and how they can beat everyone. A sickening thought.

Let's hope for a tie.

Cowboys beating the Falcons would be horrible. For the next week they'll be spewing how they beat the undefeated team and how they can beat everyone. A sickening thought.

Let's hope for a tie.
Then again, if they win it would make their loss to the Browns in Week 11 that much more enjoyable.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Then again, if they win it would make their loss to the Browns the following week that much more enjoyable.

YES YES OH GOD YES!

Sad though that I won't be on here to watch it. Buddy of mine is a huge Cowboys fans so we'll be watching the game at his place while his wife cooks us some chili and makes some nachos.

Top Bottom