• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Forge |OT| Crafting a better tomorrow; one Brace, Large at a time

background.png

Special thanks to nillapuddin for the Forge OT graphics. ;)

Halo 4 |OT| by GhaleonEB​

linebreak-1.png

News & Updates

10/30 | Initial Posting of the Forge OT​

linebreak-1.png
]
Events

-------------------

ForgeGAF Customs - Weekly Map Testing - Sundays at 12pm PST/3pm EST*

Every week I (timetokill) will be scouring the thread for map posts that week and downloading them. During ForgeGAF customs we will get together, test each others' maps, and leave feedback in the thread so we can all improve our maps.

Instructions for Forgers
If you want your map tested during ForgeGAF customs, make sure you post a map test request with the following information: Map Name, Map Creator (XBL Gamertag), Players Supported, Preferred Gametypes.

Here's an example:

Map Name: Lockout Rem4ke
Map Creator: timetokill (Spiteful Crow)
Players: 8-12
Gametypes: Slayer, CTF

Note: On busy weeks I can't promise that we will get to your map more than once, so do not list gametypes you don't want tested. For example, if you want us to test CTF on your map because you've got Slayer down to an artform on your map, don't list Slayer under "Gametypes." We will test maps in the order listed if possible, so for "Lockout Rem4ke above, we would try to do Slayer first, then CTF if we have time and there's interest.

Instructions for Forgers and Volunteers
If you want to join in on the action, send me a friend request on XBL GT: Spiteful Crow

Maps can only get tested if we have enough people to play on them. That means that if you're a Forger and you want your map tested, the best way to help is to show up for customs and keep our numbers up. This also means you get firsthand experience playing on your map in a real setting, and you can save the film out later to analyze later.

That said, if you haven't made a map we can still use your help!. If you're just looking to hang out with a cool group, try out some new maps, looking for inspiration for your own maps or just looking to have fun and help out some GAFfers, definitely join in! Send me a message at game time and I'll invite you to the party.

---

* Time subject to change each week based on availability, but this will be the normal standard time. Be sure to check the thread often in case the time changes.

linebreak-1.png

Overview

Halo 4 was developed by 343 Industries as the next iteration in the Halo franchise. Forge is a game mode which allows players to make modifications to maps by moving, adding, deleting, or editing objects. Originally used to edit maps in Halo 3, it has become a tool for the community to develop their own creations to do with as they please. Halo 4 offers new features for Forge that seek to improve the workflow and improve the presentation of creations in Forge. It also offers three unique Forge environments which serve as a sandbox for Forgers with extended palettes of objects to allow for endless possibilities.​

linebreak-1.png

What's New?

Dynamic Lightmapping
In Halo: Reach, forge pieces did not cast or receive shadows on themselves, other objects, or the environment. They were also lit based on the lighting at the object's center point. This caused many objects to be different colors ranging from light to dark and gray to green to black. Halo 4 introduces a new lighting system that calculates lightmaps for Forge creations every time a player goes from editor mode to player mode. This new lighting system allows creations to feel more organic and improves the presentation of player creations by casting and receiving realistic shadows on the individual Forge pieces, each other, and on the environment. It also opens up many possibilities for subtle player movement influence in terms of design theory.​
Real-Time Object Highlighting/Labeling
When working in Halo: Reach with a creation that had a high object count in small areas there were occasions where Forgers would accidentally grab the wrong Forge object. With real-time object highlighting and labeling in Halo 4, it is easy to tell what object a Forger is about to grab. The name/type of the object is listed below the reticle and the object is highlighted with a colored shimmer. Green is the standard color for highlighted objects, Yellow means that the object is currently being held, and Red means that the objected is currently locked and cannot be grabbed.​
Locking Objects
Prior to Halo 4, while flying around a Forge creation (whether your own or someone else's there would be times where you accidentally grab or delete an object, resulting in it being removed from it's perfect resting spot only to force the Forger to replace it with the utmost precision. Halo 4 seeks to rectify this random event by supplying a new feature that allows Forgers to "lock" objects in their current state. This stops objects from being grabbed and hence they are unable to be manipulated. This also stops objects from being accidentally deleted. This includes making the object immune to being deleted via the new "Delete Everything" option. An option to lock all objects on the map exists for times when a Forger needs to ensure that their pieces are kept snug in their positions. Locked objects shimmer red when highlighted.​
Duplicating Objects
Sometimes while Forging, a single object may need to be used several times over. In previous iterations of Forge, a Forger would need to re-enter the menu in order to grab a new instance of the object with fresh settings. Now in Halo 4 there is an option to duplicate already existing objects. Duplicating keeps the characteristics of an object for use with the new instance. This includes rotation angles. It results in a surplus of saved time.​
Magnets
Work can be a lot faster when things snap together. Halo 4's Forge mode introduces a new system referred to as "magnets". Magnets are points on Forge objects that attract towards each other. There are many of these points on each object. On a cube, a magnet can be found at the center of each edge and in the center of each face. More complex objects have magnet points in places that make sense. This new system allows for quick iteration, especially for new forgers. It is possible to turn the magnet system off and on, as well as control the strength of magnets. When a piece is magnetized to another piece, the magnetized point serves as the point of rotation for the object. So if an object is magnetized on one of its sides, the object will rotate around that side rather than around its center.​

linebreak-1.png

Forge Environments

erosion_banner.png

"With hundreds of human colonies now razed in the wake of the Covenant War, the UNSC has dispatched large numbers of advanced pioneer groups to survey potential new worlds. The discovery of Eudemon X49-05 was considered lucky, but concerns remain about the moon’s structural integrity."

Erosion is set in the likes of a cavern that holds a dark and dreary aesthetic. The object palette of Erosion reflects this, providing rustic variants of many of the Forge objects. There are several main areas of Erosion that provide forgers a choice in environment. The Grifball Court provides a large indoor area with a pristine shine to the metal that gives forgers the chance to build indoor creations while possibly incorporating the floor, walls, or ceiling. Outside of the Grifball Court is a pre-made terrain area that is great for new forgers who don't know where to start. New forgers are able to block off parts of the terrain and add their own structures if they so choose. It also provides veteran forgers a chance to work around the terrain and challenge their design skills. Finally the Lagoon provides a large dark area with water at the bottom of the massive cavern. While a killzone exists slightly above the water, it provides a great tool for setting the atmosphere of a creation. Erosion provides the largest selection of differing areas among the three Forge Environments.

impact_banner.png

"This observation outpost was established to examine the site of a spectacularly violent meteor collision recorded by an ONI patrol drone in 2547. When researchers first arrived, they were startled to find a non-native fragment of the impacting agent had actually survived and was of unknown origin. More recently, interest in the site has grown as the fragment has proven to have originated from long before the earliest of known Forerunner artifacts."

Impact is a massive forge environment set in the beauty of space. It features a clean white metallic forge palette with many new large structural pieces and unique objects like an animated object and an object with a hologram in it. The environment provides two large area meteors, one with built-in structure that cannot be deleted. Impact is said to be great for most forgers that require a large amount of space for their projects. It also provides an intricate skybox that offers several key landmarks for use by Forgers when planning out their map, helping Forgers provide orientation for their players. Impact provides the most extensive object palette of the three Forge Environments.

ravine_banner.png

"When ONI dispatched its first expeditionary group to this sector, it was believed that these impressive citadels were individual constructs strategically organized to protect this portion of Requiem. Teams on the ground now believe that they are actually the ramparts and battlements of an impossibly large structure below the surface of the sea."

Ravine is set on a beautiful rock high above the water, tied to a large Forerunner structure. It is very reminiscent of the atmosphere of Forgeworld. Ravine also features a palette aesthetic of clean white metal pieces. The large forerunner structure provides a great piece of flat real estate for use as integration into a Forger's creation. Ravine also features the best terrain or BTB usage with very slight changes in elevation and a large expanse. In addition to the natural terrain and forerunner structure, Forgers may also utilize the actual ravine and create maps between the cliffs or against the cliffs. Like Erosion the water has a killzone place above it, but it can still serve as a strong aesthetic feature for community creations.

linebreak-1.png

Released Forge Videos

linebreak-1.png

Forge Communities

Blueprint [BP]
Blueprint is a Bungie.Net group led by Homeboyd903. It was created as a location for forgers to work closely with Community Cartographers, and work together to perfect maps intended for integration into matchmaking. Playtests are held often and feedback is in abundance among the community.​
Forge Café [FC]
Forge Café was one of the largest Forging groups on Bungie.Net alongside Forever Forgers. Forge Café moved to their own domain in early 2012. They are best known for their Forge Café Recap videos of their Forge Café Custom Game Nights.​
Forgehub [FH]
Forgehub, was one of the first and arguably largest Forge communities in the Halo universe. It was originally founded by TrueDarkFusion and TheYavimayan as a wordpress blog that posted the infamous Forging 101 tutorials as well as tons of unique creations for Halo 3 created by the group's "Guilders". It still exists to this day as one of the go to places for Forge relations as it provides an extensive content submission area, contests/tournaments, and featured content.​
GrifballHub [GH]
Grifballhub, founded by H2O Camper, serves as one of the major communities behind the Halo sport of Grifball. Filled with passionate and fun forgers, it is one of the best places for those who love themselves a great Grifball court, especially with the newly revamped Grifball gametype in Halo 4.​
MLG Forge Forum [MLGFF]
The MLG Forge Forum is home to Forgers that tailor to the competitive gameplay that is MLG. With access to many guides, seasoned Forging veterans with ample advice, and the chance to make a map that is part of the MLG circuit makes this an important corner of the Forging scene.​
Reaching Perfection [RP]
Reaching Perfection, originally a personal blog for GodlyPerfection, focuses on unending improvement and is filled with many aspiring game/level designers and other individuals interested in the whole world of game design. While not fully Halo focused, most of the community uses Forge as a creative outlet and tool for improvement. Best known for the Forge Lessons a collection of articles on level design theory.​
The Halo Council [THC]
The Halo Council, one of the go to places for Halo 4 info, holds a strong Forge community dedicated to quality competitive gameplay. Home to many seasoned veterans of the Forging scene, several MLG forgers have come to call it their home.​
The Halo Forge Epidemic [THFE]
The Halo Forge Epidemic originally started as a youtube channel dedicated to the Forging scene. They have created themselves a forum home in the 343Industries.org community. This community is an endless resource for Forge tutorials and Creation Showcases.​
Waypoint [WP]
Waypoint is the official internet location of 343 Industries. Among the vast community is a Community Creations section where many Forgers have spent their time advertising their creations, offering feedback, and setting up get togethers to play customs. Being a part of the official Halo community comes with additional perks.​
XForgery [XF]
XForgery was spawned from a forge group originally called Forgery started by Sk3tch of Bungie Studios. The community moved from the Bungie.Net group to start their own website. This community offers a friendly family type environment for forgers while offering weekly playtests as well as showcasing many community creations.​

linebreak-1.png

Technical Resources

Here you will find various resources that cover the technical side of building a Forge map, things like: a list of Forge objects, gametype creation guides, Forge trick guides, Sketchup components, etc. If there is anything you think should be added to this list then please PM me.

linebreak-1.png

Level Design Resources

Below is a collection of handy level design resources for use by Forgers to improve their designs. Most of these resources refer to other games, but are still somewhat applicable in terms of design theory in the world of Forge. If there is anything you think should be added to this list then please PM me.

linebreak-1.png

footer.png

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to see what you kids cook up with them player trait zones.

Edit : Awesome OP, by the way!

GrizzNKev

Banned
It'll be nice to not have a bunch of Forge maps mixed into the playlists at launch and I fully expect great things to come from this. Better pieces, lighting, and all the new features and cool environments will make Forge both more fun and more useful for multiplayer maps, both new and old.

Bring back Lockout and The Pit!

I really hope forge in Halo 4 isn't as ugly and repitive as Reach.. it seems it will be, but maybe the environments will help.

Still, Im looking forward to Lockout on Impact! Make it happen people, and try to make it pretty somehow.

---

Impact has the best skybox, Erosion has an interesting setting and decent color pallet, Ravine looks like the horrid return of Forge World. I really wish Halo 4 forge was more than shadows and magnets on 3 small and strangely non blank pallet maps.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Great OT.

I wish we had more natural objects, or at least different rocks. Regular seastack is ugly, why didn't they bring back the Tempest version? Way more useful.

nillapuddin

I promise we will have more News, Resources and Info on (Halo MP) Remakes very soon.

Promoting, Testing, Creating, etc

soon™

Zoolader

I can't wait to forge maps for a game I actually want to play! My one and only reach map never really got finished, and I started that when the game first came out. So that's the first thing I'm gonna take care of.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to forge maps for a game I actually want to play! My one and only reach map never really got finished, and I started that when the game first came out. So that's the first thing I'm gonna take care of.
Yeah, I don't blame you for losing interest with Reach. I'm glad you're returning to your project. :)

I will admit though, magnets do make me want to try my luck with Forge. Im not too happy with the visual improvements of Forge, but it does seem like they made forging easier.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Hope the framerate isn't diarrhea like in Forge World.

The 3 different maps + lighting improvements should be awesome though.

Am I ready to dedicate hours of my life to forge? Yes, yes I am. Goodbye social life. You will be missed. :)

Great OT Godly. Bring on the Maps!

nillapuddin

Nice OT!
You may want to upload the images on another host just in case you hit the bandwidth limit on Photobucket.

yeah, unfortunately I keep changing em and making poor GP move them around, when I get my feet settled Ill try and suggest moving to a proper hosting

↓ duncan'd.

or alternatively I will have my own server space very shortly, and can do them there, will probably make things easier to change

Nice OT!
You may want to upload the images on another host just in case you hit the bandwidth limit on Photobucket.

Good call.

GodlyPerfection, I can host the pics on HaloGAF.com - hotlinking works fine and there shouldn't be any bandwidth limits.

I'm headed to bed now, but let me know tomorrow and I can take care of it.

rofl nilla...

Thanks folks... I tried to be as all encompassing as possible. If you feel I've missed some info then please let me know.

Good call.

GodlyPerfection, I can host the pics on HaloGAF.com - hotlinking works fine and there shouldn't be any bandwidth limits.

I'm headed to bed now, but let me know tomorrow and I can take care of it.

Thanks for the offer Duncan. Once nilla can figure out exactly what he wants to settle on I'll have him send the originals to you. lol... and you can call me GP or Godly. ;) The full GT is just too many characters to waste time on. :p

I thought we can adjust and control gravity in the new forge? If so why is this not in the OP? Seems like a HUGE addition. At least a mention should be under new additions.

I'll add it to the OT in the morning. I knew I missed something. lol... thanks bro.

haha oh man. I made this post then immediately went to google. i was worried I was about to look like an idiot, figured I was wrong haha.

It's the thing I'm most excited for and yet i don't hear lots of people talking about it.

haha oh man. I made this post then immediately went to google. i was worried I was about to look like an idiot, figured I was wrong haha.

It's the thing I'm most excited for and yet i don't hear lots of people talking about it.

I've got most of the details on how it works already. It isn't as flexible as you may like.

Basically you have access to two different types of objects. Player Trait Zones [PTZ] and Gravity Volumes [GV].

PTZs are fully customizable in their size like hills and can be a box or cylinder. You can then go into the menu and adjust player gravity like you would be able to in custom gametypes. They are also invisible.

GVs are static sized (5x5 and 10x10). These are the things I'm not fully versed in. I believe you can control the strength of them and actually force people to float upwards. However they are not resizeable so they aren't as flexible. There are two versions of each size... visible and invisible.

Raide

I've got most of the details on how it works already. It isn't as flexible as you may like.

Basically you have access to two different types of objects. Player Trait Zones [PTZ] and Gravity Volumes [GV].

PTZs are fully customizable in their size like hills and can be a box or cylinder. You can then go into the menu and adjust player gravity like you would be able to in custom gametypes. They are also invisible.

GVs are static sized (5x5 and 10x10). These are the things I'm not fully versed in. I believe you can control the strength of them and actually force people to float upwards. However they are not resizeable so they aren't as flexible. There are two versions of each size... visible and invisible.

As far as I am aware, this is more than just gravity right? You can tweak speeds, shields etc. Will be interesting to build maps with certain zones. I think I will just build maps first and then play with teh rest to see what they do. :D

As far as I am aware, this is more than just gravity right? You can tweak speeds, shields etc. Will be interesting to build maps with certain zones. I think I will just build maps first and then play with teh rest to see what they do. :D

Yep it does a lot more than just gravity... just wanted to cover it in comparison to the GVs. Cool thing about PTZs is that you can have it cover the WHOLE map... so say your map only works with MLG settings, just set a PTZ that covers the whole map that is set to MLG traits. This forces everyone to play with MLG movement settings. ;)

matellis

Neo Member
Can't wait to see what the community comes up with! Subcribed :)

I only made one map for Reach but it did pretty well with some people. I think I will hunker down for Halo 4 and try to push out some half decent maps if I can. I bought a book a few months back about multiplayer map design, so this will be a good chance for me to open that and learn a few things.

External Memory

Neo Member
I thought we can adjust and control gravity in the new forge? If so why is this not in the OP? Seems like a HUGE addition. At least a mention should be under new additions.

5x5 or 10x10 cubic gravity volume, up to 10 total I think, but no custom-size or cylindrical options?

I guess...

nillapuddin

Couple of forge assets. Not sure if useful:

2822016-web_gallery_thumb.png

The ones I used here I just made on my own, I coulda converted the one from the larger image into a path and gone from there but I was having fun making it myself

I already extrapolated those images like I did all the loadout and armor stuff, but thanks anyways bud!

Top Bottom