• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Rumor: Battlefield 4 details leak from EA China [Up: Seemingly Real]

Well I mean, we do have 1080p/60fps games this gen, just that they look like PS2 titles.

I imagine if you left your graphics and technology entirely alone, that would be doable next gen. It's just that you probably wouldn't want to.

I'm also expecting a fair share of developers to go 720p/30fps (or subHD/unstable 30fps) for the most power possible.

Thats prett harsh on WipEout :p

We jumped from 480p last gen too don't forget, the jump to 1080p from 720 is a little lower than 480-720 and massively less than 480-1080

Complistic

Looks like I'm going to have to implement my COD, 1 purchase every 3 titles strategy to the battlefield series. Think you could outsmart me EA?

Anth0ny

I'd be pretty shocked if it was 1080p. You would sap up most of your power benefit doing both fps and resolution boosts.

I'm fairly surprised at the proposed 60 fps even, since I assume they don't intend on dropping it as the generation goes on, but perhaps they feel that they don't need the extra resources for the gameplay changes they want to do, so just upped the framerate.

You don't think a next gen console will be able to take a current gen game (that can run at 720p/60fps on curren gen consoles) and run it at 1080p/60fps?

It doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. Assuming they are primarily developing this game for PS3/360.

I do think that framerate will drop to 30 (and resolution possibly to 720p) when Battlefield 5 drops, though. B4 will be a current gen game running on next gen hardware, as will most launch games.

JJD

If the 60FPS on next gen. consoles is true Dice will probably be using Frostbyte 2 for the most part if not all of next gen. like IW and Treyarch are doing with the COD engine.

Dice won't be able to take 60FPS away from console gamers after they deliver a BF game running like that, people will go crazy. And 60FPS being a major selling point for COD EA itself won't allow then to go back to 30FPS to push the graphics on future next gen. releases.

Dice will just keep doing minor updates to Frostbyte 2 until next gen. is almost over.

Desty

Banned
Thanks for the updated translation. Developing a game on five platforms is going to stress DICE hard. Just the QA and certification alone is going to be crazy.

I am getting the feeling next gen development is going to be a paradise for all kinds of outsourcing.

Thanks for the updated translation. Developing a game on five platforms is going to stress DICE hard. Just the QA and certification alone is going to be crazy.

I am getting the feeling next gen development is going to be a paradise for all kinds of outsourcing.

Alot of the rumour mill points to PS3/720 being fairly similar and based more closely to PC (almost all the recent ones mention x86 processors for both iirc)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You don't think a next gen console will be able to take a current gen game (that can run at 720p/60fps on curren gen consoles) and run it at 1080p/60fps?

It doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. Assuming they are primarily developing this game for PS3/360.

I do think that framerate will drop to 30 (and resolution possibly to 720p) when Battlefield 5 drops, though. B4 will be a current gen game running on next gen hardware, as will most launch games.

I'm assuming they're notably upgrading the graphics on the 720/PS4 version given the 30-40% of Frostbite 2 to 80% statement.

Art assets can scale pretty significantly on the exact same technology, but the better ones can eat up a lot of power.

Edit:

Here's BioShock on minimum settings as an example.

1-minl64qom.jpg

Grayman

No they did not.
Do you even know the meaning of always online DRM?

Being online to play internet MP =! Always online DRM.
Did you not notice BF2's lengthy login process required to access a server browser? Third party launchers needing that login and password to access the game. Without a connection to ea.com you were limited to lan play.

Oshimai

i'm more concerned about if BF4 will include destruction similar to BF:BC2 lol :3 ...i only played the open beta of BF3 i found the destruction not as pronounced as in the BC series

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sounds about right. Fits with EA's two year cycle for Battlefield, and would be an excellent game to launch alongside next generation platforms, especially if there's PS3/360 versions running and the two side by side show how much nicer the next generation version is.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Commander mode is about the only thing that would make me upgrade. Dammit, I just got all the unlocks.

If the rumors are even halfway true next gen console players are gonna have their faces blown right off of their skulls.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I wonder if it will look significantly better than BF3? Or rather a slight visual upgrade.

And Released on both next gen consoles by Oct 2013? This goes against the latest 2014 rumors for next gen, no?

Reiko

Banned
I wonder if it will look significantly better than BF3? Or rather a slight visual upgrade.

And Released on both next gen consoles by Oct 2013? This goes against the latest 2014 rumors for next gen, no?

Lasgana said:
: bf4 will use 80% of power of frostbite 2, wheras bf3 only 30-40%

It's going to look better than BF3. (Well probably not on current gen consoles)

I still think next gen consoles are TBA. PC/PS3/360 are definite though.

Ryoku

FPS lock on PC? Lololololololol.

Big 3 current-gen systems? Wii? Lololololololol.

1-year development cycle? Lolololololololololololololololololololol.

Also, wtf does it mean to utilize X% of an engine? Wtf? Available effects? What?

KageMaru

I would expect it to be comparable to the PC version at higher settings.

Also, I wasn't aware there was a rumor stating 2014 for a next Gen launch. All signs point to 2013.

Beaulieu

so much bullshit in the OP from anyone who has minimal knowledge of how the industry works, I don't think thats a genuine "leak". I'm sorry for everyone who could beleive that stuff.

edit: cant beleive some of you guys eat the "30% vs 80%" stuff... damn neogaf is getting sad.

Reiko

Banned
so much bullshit in the OP from anyone who has minimal knowledge of how the industry works, I don't think thats a genuine "leak". I'm sorry for everyone who could beleive that stuff.

edit: cant beleive some of you guys eat the "30% vs 80%" stuff... damn neogaf is getting sad.

Which is why it's a rumor, since as you know, EA hasn't officially said anything.

Also do you seriously believe DICE maxed out their engine entirely with BF3? If you understand engine development that's not how it works. With further optimization you get better performance. Hence the 30% and 80% stuff.

This goes with every engine.

demolitio

Eh, you never know. I do think China will be in as I've been saying for most of the year now simply because more Chinese files started showing up including the Chinese chopper and some others that aren't even ingame yet and it's pretty much the natural progression of the story from BF3 and what was missing from it and also what can give us more unique locations.

I think if they actually do one good jungle map or even the foggy river one in BF2, I'd be addicted to it and the rest would just be the icing on top.

thuway

Also, wtf does it mean to utilize X% of an engine? Wtf? Available effects? What?

The denial is strong in this one.

Sid

Read the updated translation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I bet the PC version will look very similar to BF3 visually but with some minor enhancements. The motion blur in MoH:W looks better than in BF3 and the water in FB2 has always looked awkward. I'm expecting the tech jump to be a big leap in the level of destruction. Micro destruction like in MoH:W and bigger stuff like in some of the DLC packs for BF3 on all maps.

The updated translation sounds a lot more legi but I'm still skeptical. Some of it sounds too good to be true. That said, I would love 64 players/60fps on PS4 and the next Xbox. It would be heavenly. The 64 players thing also is a big piece of info on next-gen systems since the main reason that player counts weren't higher on consoles this gen was bandwidth limits from Sony and Microsoft so evidently that's been sorted out. I wonder if it's a single game exception or if this would have more ramifications for other games and the next-gen online strategies.

Which is why it's a rumor, since as you know, EA hasn't officially said anything.

Also do you seriously believe DICE maxed out their engine entirely with BF3? If you understand engine development that's not how it works. With further optimization you get better performance. Hence the 30% and 80% stuff.

This goes with every engine.

Nobody would ever put performance increases in those terms, especially since there's no way you can know what the 100 percent performance bar would be. Even if this leak is real, whoever said that is a complete moron.

I am all for it as long as they introduce skill back into battlefield.

No more user friendly mortars, no more catering to COD converts with small maps.

Introduce complexity and let the fans embrace it.

Lakitu

st5fu
64 player maps is just what I wanted from Battlefield 4 next-gen. I hope that part is true at least.

And China as a faction? Interesting. I guess that would mean that China would be involved in the main story.

" Lasgana: pc, ps4 and xbox 720 supports 64 player maps"

This is all I wanted to know, I'll get this on the next gen systems.

So PS4 / XBOX 720 are released by October 2013?

Its like NFS Carbon dude, the game released like a month or so later as a launch game for the PS3.

Top Bottom