• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Rumor: Battlefield 4 details leak from EA China [Up: Seemingly Real]

DieH@rd

Banned
I dont see why this game cant be made 1 year of full production. Its obviously way more oriented towards multipayer, and 3-4hr SP campaign could be slapped into it easily, especially with large team sizes and budgets DICE has.

Im way more interested about full nextgen version of this game.

GodofWine

How big are the squads on PC, if they don't make.them bigger than 4 on console, I'll never go back to this series....not to mention the one year later still wonky squad system / match making

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

sk3tch

FPS lock at 100 fps makes sense if they're trying to cater to the competitive multiplayer crowd. The Call of Duty series has locked at 91 fps for years. Note this means maximum fps and it's only in multiplayer. It prevents an unfair advantage to those with beast specs. Why do you think 120hz monitors are so great? Add in 100 fps or higher fluidity and you get a leg up on 60 fps / 60hz / etc plebs.

More 60fps shooters is the only thing that would keep me on consoles next gen.
I'm just tired of the sub 30fps and input lag bullshit in all of these shooters.
It just affects my aiming to much.
CoD just killed all other shooters for me on consoles.

PS. i even play bf3 on 576p on ps3 to get the most responsive game

None of this seems particularly good to me. Other than the obvious improvements due to next-gen consoles, it's mostly just sticking a few of the removed features from BF2 back in.

The_Monk

This may sound silly to ask but does anyone know if would be possible to cross play between let's say the Xbox 360 and 720 players?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
This may sound silly to ask but does anyone know if would be possible to cross play between let's say the Xbox 360 and 720 players?

Would be hard in a sense

EA will just set different servers for 360 and 720 versions

I mean 24/30fps players for 360 version and 64/60fps for the 720 version

I mean who would buy a 720 then downsize to play with 360 players or why on earth would you let 360 players play with 720 players who will have a distinct advantage

The_Monk

Thanks for answering GraveRobberX can't wait for the new PS4 but my life priorities will sure make me wait and not get it on Day one.

Dabanton

Why would it look worse than the 360 version? Weren't PS3 users given preferential treatment with DLC a week earlier?

Coming from the 360 version the PS3 version controls like shit. You *can* get used to it but if you paid for a product expecting some competency you shouldn't have to.

sl4yor

Neo Member
A little off topic, but does anyone else miss the World War 2 FPS games from several years ago? I'm a little tired of modern day shooters and I would love to see a return to World War 2 with an engine as awesome as Frostbite. I hope the battlefield series makes a return to World War 2 in the future, multiplayer was a lot more fun when you didn't rely on all the little gadgets given to players in these modern day shooters.

A little off topic, but does anyone else miss the World War 2 FPS games from several years ago? I'm a little tired of modern day shooters and I would love to see a return to World War 2 with an engine as awesome as Frostbite. I hope the battlefield series makes a return to World War 2 in the future, multiplayer was a lot more fun when you didn't rely on all the little gadgets given to players in these modern day shooters.

Modern Shooters aren't even CLOSE to as over saturated as WWII was last gen.

A little off topic, but does anyone else miss the World War 2 FPS games from several years ago?

No, I remember the times when everything was WW2. I wouldn't mind a different approach to the setting, but it shouldn't be a 1st or 3rd person shooter.

sl4yor

Neo Member
Modern Shooters aren't even CLOSE to as over saturated as WWII was last gen.

No, they're not, but still I'd love to see a new WW2 game by DICE using a new engine. I think it would be amazing to see Stalingrad, Normandy, Berlin in Frostbite 2.0. Just my opinion though.

Majanew

Banned
No, they're not, but still I'd love to see a new WW2 game by DICE using a new engine. I think it would be amazing to see Stalingrad, Normandy, Berlin in Frostbite 2.0. Just my opinion though.

Agreed. Storming the beaches of Normandy on next-gen hardware would be awesome.

waypoetic

Banned
Now that i've actually read the OP, here are my thoughts :

PS3, PS4, X360, X720, PC. Some think that this is ridiculous, i say : what about the five different versions of other games this gen? There's a console version, a portable one and the obscure iOS one.

PS4 and X720 gets 64 max player count? I'm not Jeff Rigby, but can't they do better than that?

Frostbite 2 on next-gen? When DICE has been using different versions of the Frostbite-engine for BC, BC2 and BF4 - why would they use the BF3-engine for their next-gen game BF4? On the PS3 and X360 version - yes, sure.

Goldrusher

PS3, PS4, X360, X720, PC. Some think that this is ridiculous, i say : what about the five different versions of other games this gen? There's a console version, a portable one and the obscure iOS one.
This was one of EA's first games this generation:

51MW6gt4L4L._SL300_.jpg
51Wx6BNe2kL._SL300_.jpg
51pdQ6xxu-L._SL300_.jpg
61ZMzkD5b7L._SL250_.jpg

51aNHmq%2BQVL._SL300_.jpg
51IokSAE%2B9L._SL300_.jpg
51niWWPfhqL._SL300_.jpg
5142hrMC4yL._SL300_.jpg

51v33KBycjL._SL250_.jpg
61bTuqEMb3L._SL200_.jpg
61sJpG9IoPL._SL200_.jpg
product-thumbnail_NFS-Carbon.jpg
(mobile)

Ugh. Why.

EA wants that Call of Duty money.

I'm kind of skeptical how BF4 in general will pan out. I'm just reminded of the early 360 Madden games that had the ridiculous CG trailers to hype everyone and then when it came out, it was lacking in features that the previous generation game had. And it took a while for them to actually make a Madden game that was on par with what they had done with Madden 2005 for PS2/Xbox.

And if its going to be cross generational, how much can they really be pushing things on the high end? Are they designing the game for the PC/nextgen and then porting down basically or building it for 360/PS3 and then just slapping on some fancier DX11 effects for the nextgen/PC?

Reiko

Banned
EA wants that Call of Duty money.

I'm kind of skeptical how BF4 in general will pan out. I'm just reminded of the early 360 Madden games that had the ridiculous CG trailers to hype everyone and then when it came out, it was lacking in features that the previous generation game had. And it took a while for them to actually make a Madden game that was on par with what they had done with Madden 2005 for PS2/Xbox.

And if its going to be cross generational, how much can they really be pushing things on the high end? Are they designing the game for the PC/nextgen and then porting down basically or building it for 360/PS3 and then just slapping on some fancier DX11 effects for the nextgen/PC?

Porting down like BF3. Going down from 64 players...etc

Map sizes will probably change too.

The way I see it... And it's obvious, PC will be the lead for multiplats.

FLEABttn

Banned
PS4 and X720 gets 64 max player count? I'm not Jeff Rigby, but can't they do better than that?

They could. It's not a technical limitation. It's a design one.

Frostbite 2 on next-gen? When DICE has been using different versions of the Frostbite-engine for BC, BC2 and BF4 - why would they use the BF3-engine for their next-gen game BF4? On the PS3 and X360 version - yes, sure.

It will likely be an updated version of Frostbite 2, but still distinctly Frostbite 2. No need to reinvent the wheel if you don't need to.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

BC and BC2 actually used the same engine, but modified.

Frostbite 2 uses quite a few features out of that same engine as well, but it just changed enough for them to feel it was worth renaming it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Is this one of those awkward moments where it has to be explained to someone that developers aren't going to build a new engine for every game they make?

Top Bottom